Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572980 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5320 on: May 13, 2021, 07:29:07 AM »
Well, I'm not getting "worked up", but it's fun to debate and discuss.  To me it's interesting how (and why) certain artists seem to have "traction" and certain artists don't.  It's also interesting to see how prevalent human nature is; apparently being a critic of a rebellious genre like rock and roll doesn't make you immune to the same sort of "us versus them" tribalism that rock is supposed to be standing up to.

Despite some number of obvious exceptions who very clearly prove the rule, we are, as humans, a species of joiners.   We need to be affirmed by our likes, our desires, and our opinions. That's embodied by things like the Hall, and that's almost endlessly fascinating to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5321 on: May 13, 2021, 07:41:54 AM »
Isn't the Sun And Steel a kind of sake infused thing.

SUN AND STEEL is a hybrid beer because it’s made with two yeasts. A lager yeast for the initial fermentation followed by a saké yeast for a second fermentation. The result? A delicate, subtle fruit flavour infused into a pilsner style lager.

The result, not very good from my taste buds

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5322 on: May 13, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
Maiden didn't make it in the HoF, but the one hit-wonder pop band The Go-Go's did?

Jane Wiedlin helped save the future of the planet with the power of Rock music.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5323 on: May 13, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »
Maiden didn't make it in the HoF, but the one hit-wonder pop band The Go-Go's did?
WTF? Are those people in HOF normal?

This is the second time in the last week you've focused on how many "hits" a band has, and again, your premise is flawed.

First, I'm pretty sure Iron Maiden had precisely zero hits.

Second, The Go-Go's had at least three hits.

Third, we all know the RRHOF is a farce.

You didn't really think Maiden was getting in, did you?

Jane Wiedlin helped save the future of the planet with the power of Rock music.

Good point.  Fee Waybill is now the only one of The Three Most Important People in the World not in the RRHOF.

I think the biggest problem with the RRHOF is the name and the fact that it purports to be the arbiter of what is and isn't good in rock & roll.  There is a procedure in trademark law whereby one can seek to cancel a trademark registration if the name is misdescriptive of the goods or services offered.  Given the abundance of non-rock & roll artists in the RRHOF, I would love to see someone petition to cancel the RRHOF trademark registration.  If they had just called it "The Rolling Stone Museum of Popular Music," no one would be having a problem with it.  Of course, people might not care either, so....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5324 on: May 13, 2021, 11:58:29 AM »
I think the biggest problem with the RRHOF is the name and the fact that it purports to be the arbiter of what is and isn't good in rock & roll.  There is a procedure in trademark law whereby one can seek to cancel a trademark registration if the name is misdescriptive of the goods or services offered.  Given the abundance of non-rock & roll artists in the RRHOF, I would love to see someone petition to cancel the RRHOF trademark registration.  If they had just called it "The Rolling Stone Museum of Popular Music," no one would be having a problem with it.  Of course, people might not care either, so....

I think you're on to something though.  It's that air of superior insight and knowledge that is what's galling (at least to me).   It's not as if this is SIMPLY about recognizing accomplishments.  We've got the Grammy's and what not for that.   It's the implication that Phil Collins or Robert Fripp or Iron Maiden aren't WORTHY. The qualitative.  At least if Maiden wasn't in the "Museum" you could pass it as "well we don't have room for EVERYTHING!".  This isn't that.   This purports to tell us that The Go-gos, The Red Hot Chili Peppers Radiohead and the Foo Fighters are MORE WORTHY than Iron Maiden (this because of the timing).    And if you want to extend this, that "Rod Evans" and "Donna Godchaux" are MORE WORTHY than "Ronnie James Dio".

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:28:53 PM by Stadler »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5325 on: May 13, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »
Hey now, Chili Peppers may be more worthy.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5326 on: May 13, 2021, 12:50:43 PM »
Even when a band does get into the damn thing they are picky about who actually gets inducted. I get that not EVERY member of a band should get it especially bands with a revolving door of lineup changes but man there are some glaring omissions. So it's a lose/lose
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5327 on: May 13, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »
The main question is why is everyone paying so much bloody attention to it if they don't rate the Hall of Fame as any value?  They are just playing in the Hall's hands which is feeding them attention.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5328 on: May 13, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »
The main question is why is everyone paying so much bloody attention to it if they don't rate the Hall of Fame as any value?  They are just playing in the Hall's hands which is feeding them attention.

And I'm starting to wonder if this is exactly why the HOF is purposely controversial.  I feel like I personally want to stop talking about it completely.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5329 on: May 13, 2021, 03:03:54 PM »

Well, I sort of DO think it has value; I think some of that "they don't matter" is from those that aren't in the 'in crowd'. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5330 on: May 13, 2021, 03:19:35 PM »
It's idiotic that they were fourth on the list of nominated artists according to the number of fan votes and they didn't make it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5331 on: May 13, 2021, 03:23:29 PM »
Fan votes are only counted as one vote in the Rock Hall of Fame.  Doesn't matter even if Maiden wins the fan vote if the majority of the so-called committee is not going to vote them in.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5332 on: May 13, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »
Fan votes are only counted as one vote in the Rock Hall of Fame.  Doesn't matter even if Maiden wins the fan vote if the majority of the so-called committee is not going to vote them in.

Then that's utter bullshit. So what's the purpose of people voting?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5333 on: May 13, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
^^ In the Hall of Fame's mind, for community feeling and camaraderie?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5334 on: May 13, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »
It's idiotic that they were fourth on the list of nominated artists according to the number of fan votes and they didn't make it.

I explained to you (in a different thread) how the "fan vote" works at least a month ago.

Now you're learning!   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5335 on: May 13, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »

Drum up faux interest.  You didn't honestly think that Jann Wenner was going to relinquish any real power to the unwashed masses, did you? 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5336 on: May 14, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »
Even when a band does get into the damn thing they are picky about who actually gets inducted. I get that not EVERY member of a band should get it especially bands with a revolving door of lineup changes but man there are some glaring omissions. So it's a lose/lose
They're only picky when they want to be.  Bruce's E Street Band had almost every member of the band inducted, including Patty Scialfa and Nils Lofgren who joined more than 10 years after the fact.  The Grateful Dead got members inducted who never even played on a record.  Even with Metallica... Cliff, Jason and Robert (who had been appeared on one album that came out the year before their induction) were all inducted. 

Yet, with KISS, it's only the original 4.  Forget that Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr had longer tenures than Ace or Peter.  Then again, everything with KISS has to be a shit show.  It's a prerequisite. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5337 on: May 14, 2021, 08:49:31 AM »
They're only picky when they want to be.  Bruce's E Street Band had almost every member of the band inducted, including Patty Scialfa and Nils Lofgren who joined more than 10 years after the fact.  The Grateful Dead got members inducted who never even played on a record.  Even with Metallica... Cliff, Jason and Robert (who had been appeared on one album that came out the year before their induction) were all inducted. 

Yet, with KISS, it's only the original 4.  Forget that Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr had longer tenures than Ace or Peter.  Then again, everything with KISS has to be a shit show.  It's a prerequisite.

Go you one better:  The E Street Band was induction ON THEIR OWN, despite never having released a stand alone record!   Vinnie "Mad Dog" Lopez is in though he was only around for the first album and was replaced by Max Weinberg not long after.  The Dead:  Donna Godchaux, Tom Constantin (who even Bill Kreutzmann didn't consider a "card-carrying member of the band"), and Robert Hunter, lyricist and who never (to my knowledge) actually performed with the band. 

You can add Reeves Gabrels, getting in with the Cure, despite only being a touring guitarist (but the Hall loves him because he played with Bowie), in, and yet Dio - probably one of the three greatest metal front men of all time, ever - not getting in with Sabbath.   Actually, of the three greatest metal frontmen ever - Dio, Halford and Dickinson - none are in.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5338 on: May 14, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
I'm watching live vids of Aces High for totally unrelated reasons(a favorite band of mine did a cover and I wanted to compare something), and the one I chose was in India. Looked like 50k + people absolutely losing their shit to Maiden, and it struck me that they can do this in pretty much every country around the world. Very, very few bands arr capable of that type of mass appeal, and certainly none of the ones elected to the RRHoF this year.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5339 on: May 14, 2021, 11:48:21 AM »

Go you one better:  The E Street Band was induction ON THEIR OWN, despite never having released a stand alone record!   Vinnie "Mad Dog" Lopez is in though he was only around for the first album and was replaced by Max Weinberg not long after.  The Dead:  Donna Godchaux, Tom Constantin (who even Bill Kreutzmann didn't consider a "card-carrying member of the band"), and Robert Hunter, lyricist and who never (to my knowledge) actually performed with the band. 

You can add Reeves Gabrels, getting in with the Cure, despite only being a touring guitarist (but the Hall loves him because he played with Bowie), in, and yet Dio - probably one of the three greatest metal front men of all time, ever - not getting in with Sabbath.   Actually, of the three greatest metal frontmen ever - Dio, Halford and Dickinson - none are in.
Yeah, the E Street thing had me scratching my head from the beginning.  I didn't know if it was the Hall sucking Springsteen's d*ck or what.

As for Sabbath, I can't believe they left out Dio.  I know AC/DC with Brian Johnson and Sammy with VH probably sold way more records than Sabbath with RJD.  But, to completely overlook him.  As has been said, he's easily one of the greatest frontmen (and voices) ever!  I always wondered if that might've been Sharon's doing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5340 on: May 14, 2021, 12:39:27 PM »
I'm watching live vids of Aces High for totally unrelated reasons(a favorite band of mine did a cover and I wanted to compare something), and the one I chose was in India. Looked like 50k + people absolutely losing their shit to Maiden, and it struck me that they can do this in pretty much every country around the world. Very, very few bands arr capable of that type of mass appeal, and certainly none of the ones elected to the RRHoF this year.

I'm assuming you watched the Flight 666 version, which is fantastic. I love that live video.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5341 on: May 14, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »

I'm assuming you watched the Flight 666 version, which is fantastic. I love that live video.

Yup... Watching things like that, Live at Luna Park, an Rush in Rio make me realize how weak af US fans are for the most part :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5342 on: May 14, 2021, 01:10:53 PM »

Yeah, the E Street thing had me scratching my head from the beginning.  I didn't know if it was the Hall sucking Springsteen's d*ck or what.

As for Sabbath, I can't believe they left out Dio.  I know AC/DC with Brian Johnson and Sammy with VH probably sold way more records than Sabbath with RJD.  But, to completely overlook him.  As has been said, he's easily one of the greatest frontmen (and voices) ever!  I always wondered if that might've been Sharon's doing.

Jon Landau was (maybe still is) the head of the Hall Of Fame nominating committee.  He was a former rock critic who ditched that to BE SPRINGSTEEN'S MANAGER.   He's actually IN the Hall of Fame for his "origination" of rock criticism and his record management and production achievements.   Further Dave "Kiss will get in over my dead body" Marsh, a frequent and vocal member of the original nominating committee has written soemthing like five books on Springsteen.   Add in the politics (Little Steven and the Sun City stuff he did back in the 80's/90's) and yeah.... they were servicing Bruce's unit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5343 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:45 PM »
Took this picture 29 years ago today....

Here's the ticket..

And the shirt..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5344 on: June 08, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »
$25 for those two bands! I love how you still have the ticket stub

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5345 on: June 08, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »

I kept all of my stubs.

World Slavery Tour!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5346 on: June 08, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »
I keep all my stubs too if possible, sucks you don't normally get them anymore though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5347 on: June 08, 2021, 12:36:13 PM »
Out of the 350 concerts I've seen, I'm missing maybe 25 stubs.   I have all of them, and I'd have mounted them already if I could stop them from fading in the light.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5348 on: June 08, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »

I kept all of my stubs.

World Slavery Tour!!

Oh that's all kinds of awesome!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5349 on: June 08, 2021, 01:39:51 PM »
I love seeing the prices too.  It's amazing how much the costs of a ticket have changed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5350 on: June 08, 2021, 01:43:20 PM »
On the same night that Iron Maiden played the Providence Civic Center on June 2, 1985, Madonna played the Worcester Centrum right up the street. Pretty sure that was the show Kingshmegland decided to go to.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5351 on: June 08, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
On the same night that Iron Maiden played the Providence Civic Center on June 2, 1985, Madonna played the Worcester Centrum right up the street. Pretty sure that was the show Kingshmegland decided to go to.

:lol

Offline pg1067

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5353 on: June 29, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
Just stumbled upon this on reddit and this is very interesting regarding the new album...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ironmaiden/comments/oa9g0m/iron_maiden_album_17_viral_marketing_belshazzars/

If this is legit, there may be an announcement on July 15th

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5354 on: June 29, 2021, 01:10:42 PM »
I can't open that Marc, but I saw this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL7sgn9mqYE

Something is coming..

Also..

https://ironmaidenbr.com/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:16:52 PM by TAC »