Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557581 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5180 on: February 14, 2021, 01:49:27 PM »
Oh, yeah! GoT and The Pilgrim I esp like of them.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5181 on: February 17, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »
So you guys may not have ventured into the Wilderun thread recently, but they released a cover of Seventh Son yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqelDw_Zoaw

It is INCREDIBLE! Small amount of harsh vocals in the chorus, but the song is sung clean. Amazing arrangement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5182 on: February 17, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »

Too bad about the vocals in this band, otherwise they'd be killer.  A shame too since he's got a fantastic singing voice, at least for now he does.  That won't last if he keeps up that stupid cookie monster stuff

Offline 425

« Reply #5183 on: February 17, 2021, 01:20:03 PM »
I'm not familiar with the band at all outside of having heard of them before, but that was a very good cover. Interesting how they made it both softer and heavier than the original at various times without anything feeling out of place. And they have three guitars like Maiden? Cool.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5184 on: February 17, 2021, 01:22:35 PM »
Structurally they made it a much more interesting and climactic song.  I can do without grown men making cookie monster sounds like 6-year-olds, but the song is killer musically

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5185 on: February 17, 2021, 07:11:35 PM »
So you guys may not have ventured into the Wilderun thread recently, but they released a cover of Seventh Son yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqelDw_Zoaw

It is INCREDIBLE! Small amount of harsh vocals in the chorus, but the song is sung clean. Amazing arrangement.

Will check this tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5186 on: February 18, 2021, 04:23:35 AM »
Very creative.  Wasn't keen on his clean voice but loved the growled chorus.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5187 on: February 18, 2021, 06:56:31 AM »
Very creative.  Wasn't keen on his clean voice but loved the growled chorus.
I agree that it's creative. I like that it wasn't a straight note-for-note performance of the original, but I'm quite the opposite on the vocals. I liked the clean vocals but growled vocals were just garbage and did nothing for the song. And the double bass in some parts was a bit much although it worked for most of the instrumental half, aside from the blast beats that didn't do anything to add to the song.

I did find it amusing that while there are quite clearly plenty of keyboards in their version and they apparently have 3 guitarists, there's no appearance of anyone playing keys in that video.  ::)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5188 on: February 18, 2021, 08:13:20 AM »
I really liked that, with two quibbles:  the  growls, and double-bass drum fills around 3:10 or so.  I'm not a huge double-bass fan, I guess.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5189 on: February 18, 2021, 08:25:15 AM »
I guess I'm the only one who didn't care for it.  It's not bad, I like that it's their own take of the song, but it doesn't sound very good to me from the vocals to the video game sounding of the ending instrumental part.  The best part is that it is a unique cover.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5190 on: February 18, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who didn't care for it.  It's not bad, I like that it's their own take of the song, but it doesn't sound very good to me from the vocals to the video game sounding of the ending instrumental part.  The best part is that it is a unique cover.

I wasn't blown away either.  The best part for me was the creativity.  They changed the solos too much for my liking too.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5191 on: February 22, 2021, 08:30:12 AM »
 Here's the interview with Blaze!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHm_2uZNZg&t=1095s

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5192 on: February 22, 2021, 08:51:44 AM »
Ooh, it's a long one! I'll watch it this week when I manage to find the time, but first, let me press the like button on YouTube.  :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5193 on: February 22, 2021, 08:52:53 AM »
Ooh, it's a long one! I'll watch it this week when I manage to find the time, but first, let me press the like button on YouTube.  :tup

Same, I have it loaded and will have to watch/listen in bits while at work today.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5194 on: February 22, 2021, 08:55:42 AM »
 Yeah, take your time! This one came out great, and Blaze talks A LOT!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5195 on: February 23, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
I'm watching it right now. Man, I love this guy's energy!  :metal

EDIT: After seeing him talk about the trilogy of songs on the new album, I am absolutely hyped about it. I can't wait to hear it.

EDIT 2: "I want to talk to you about Wolfsba..." "WE ARE WORKING ON THE NEW ALBUM!!!"  :lol
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:43:54 PM by Mladen »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5196 on: February 23, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »
Yea, he's wild, but charming too.  Really enjoyed the interview

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5197 on: February 23, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
I will say I really like the dynamics they brought to this.  Those super quiet verses in the beginning are great.  Maiden should do stuff like this once in a while.  Tweak a song for a live performance.  Like Dream Theater turning the live performance of Hollow Years on Budakan into a 9:18 mini-epic  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5198 on: February 23, 2021, 01:21:10 PM »

EDIT 2: "I want to talk to you about Wolfsba..." "WE ARE WORKING ON THE NEW ALBUM!!!"  :lol

Right???!!?!?!?!?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This has been the case with many guys I spoke with later: I had a ton of questions, but they just took off talking about their respective albums and I couldn't address everything I wanted. Blaze, Eric Martin, Michael Schenker, and yesterday, Steve Lukather were very generous with their time, but wouldn't shut up!!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5199 on: February 23, 2021, 02:05:59 PM »

Right???!!?!?!?!?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This has been the case with many guys I spoke with later: I had a ton of questions, but they just took off talking about their respective albums and I couldn't address everything I wanted. Blaze, Eric Martin, Michael Schenker, and yesterday, Steve Lukather were very generous with their time, but wouldn't shut up!!!!

Kind of better than the alternative, no?

"So, I understand you have a new album out!"
"Yes."

"Can you tell us about it?"
"Yes."

Uh...

;D ;D ;D ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5200 on: February 23, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »
Yea, I'm sure it's frustrating a bit to not get your questions in, but at the same time, having someone just continuously talk probably makes the interview easier, especially if they are so engaging like Blaze was.  Also getting that interview on video was clutch because seeing his expressions make it much more interesting.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5201 on: February 23, 2021, 02:56:25 PM »
I actually insisted with the guys from our site that we start to capture more video interviews. I think it's part of establishing our brand. We do need better equipment though, and next time, I won't wear a freaking polo shirt to interview a metal legend like I did with Blaze!!!  :D :D :D

And yes, I've had interviewees who were VERY dry and laconic in their responses. Three of them I actually had to transcribe, so as to disguise how disengaged they were: Mark Menghi of Metal Allegiance, Mark Tremonti and Danko Jones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5202 on: February 23, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
Michael Schenker was pretty engaged. I think you asked him 4 questions. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5203 on: February 23, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
I actually insisted with the guys from our site that we start to capture more video interviews. I think it's part of establishing our brand. We do need better equipment though, and next time, I won't wear a freaking polo shirt to interview a metal legend like I did with Blaze!!!  :D :D :D

I just upgraded from a headset mic to a Blue Yeti USB one, it's extremely popular choice for streamers.  It just works well, plug n play and not too expensive.  Basically it's one of the best mics before you get into serious equipment.  (this is not to be negative to you, just thinking if you want to upgrade equipment and since you do interviews, the mic might be the most important piece to upgrade first).  I don't think your video quality is bad, but audio drives the video as my high school TV production teacher used to say.

And of course outfit is important but honestly, I don't personally see an issue wearing a polo shirt.  I've gotten a lot of flack at metal shows for dressing more business casual (since I was coming from work) so I get why you might want to look more "metal" but IMO, I really don't get the whole fashion thing.  As long as you don't look like a slob (which you don't).

Either way, I love seeing how you progress with the interviews.  You've been getting bigger and bigger names, so it only makes sense for you to want to start upgrading the hardware for better quality.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5204 on: February 23, 2021, 03:18:47 PM »
And of course outfit is important but honestly, I don't personally see an issue wearing a polo shirt.  I've gotten a lot of flack at metal shows for dressing more business casual (since I was coming from work) so I get why you might want to look more "metal" but IMO, I really don't get the whole fashion thing.  As long as you don't look like a slob (which you don't).

Really? I thought metal shows were the one place when nobody gave a damn about what one was wearing. And if you're dressed for business, it's not that hard to imagine that you couldn't change and come straight from work. A couple of buddies of mine went to a black metal concert straight from a wedding (granted, it was a small underground band, those situations where everyone knows everyone), and they climbed on stage for a friendly invasion all elegant  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5205 on: February 23, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »

Really? I thought metal shows were the one place when nobody gave a damn about what one was wearing. And if you're dressed for business, it's not that hard to imagine that you couldn't change and come straight from work. A couple of buddies of mine went to a black metal concert straight from a wedding (granted, it was a small underground band, those situations where everyone knows everyone), and they climbed on stage for a friendly invasion all elegant  :lol

I remember at ProgPower I had come straight from taking a class (I managed to do a work training trip in Atlanta at the same time as Progpower) and I was in business casual (polo and jeans) and some guy I was bsing with at the end of our conversation goes to me "I like you, but I hate the way you dress"  :lol I've also had people specifically target me in mosh pits before because I wore a button down.  You'd think the metal community wouldn't care about such things, but there's very much people who do.  Whatever, I think it's kind of funny and it doesn't bother me if people don't like it, but I do see why Rodrigo might be sensitive to what he's wearing even if I personally dgaf.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5206 on: February 23, 2021, 03:54:41 PM »
I'd be more inclined to avoid the dude in the button down shirt in a moshpit. Guaranteed psycho! :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5207 on: February 23, 2021, 04:01:00 PM »
 :rollin

I'm actually pretty sure that time I could have changed and said fuck it.  Avantasia NYC concert.  I did end up making a friend in that mosh pit too who I (before covid) would regularly see at the local metal shows.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5208 on: February 23, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
Michael Schenker was pretty engaged. I think you asked him 4 questions. :lol

:D :D :D :D

Do you know who I think would be like that? David Lee Roth. It would be like "hey Dave, how are you?" - "well here's the thing, kid...". And he would ramble incoherently for 45 minutes!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5209 on: February 23, 2021, 05:50:27 PM »

For the longest time - until I tore it from tricep to wrist, I think at Michael Schenker, might have been Sons of Apollo - I wore a blue button-down Brooks Brothers shirt to every show.  It wasn't new, it wasn't crisp, but it was clean and it was my lucky shirt.  I think I'm wearing it in the Gary Barden shot, and definitely wearing it in the shot after the Shattered Fortress show.   It was comfortable, and it carried memories for me.   I actually miss it (though it was just tatters at the end).  I'm at a metal show.  I'm metal.  That's enough.  I don't need to dress like Rob Fucking Halford.    :metal

;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5210 on: February 23, 2021, 06:36:55 PM »
I've seen this shirt a few times, including a couple IM concerts  :metal funny enough after saying how much I don't care about metal fashion, my "concert shirt" is actually an Iron Maiden shirt with Eddie from Raising Hell  :lol definitely wore that shirt more than any other shirt at a concert.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5211 on: February 23, 2021, 06:46:15 PM »
I wore a button down shirt to Alice Cooper in 1987.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5212 on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:07 PM »
World Slavery Tour, 1985, I was doing time at a private Christian school. Either 7th or 8th grade. Because of time constraints I had to haul ass right after school and hit the show in a white button-down, and black slacks; Dockers hadn't been invented yet. Talk about feeling like a tool. I wore the iconic WS tour shirt over it, and I had a back stage pass stuck to the tail of that, so at last I was camouflaged, but it was still a awkward as all getout.

At the time I would have hated for there to be pictures of that. Thirty-five years later I'd love to see a picture of me at that show.

And I have no specific concert shirt. It varies and I put a great deal of thoughtfulness into it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5213 on: February 24, 2021, 07:05:41 AM »
We called those shirts "baseball jerseys" or "baseball shirts", because you'd wear those under your baseball uniform (with the appropriate colored sleeve).   I miss those a lot.  My first concert shirt ever (still have it) is one of those from the Number Of The Beast show.   I had an Ozzy one with the Blizzard cover on it that I wore into rags, and a couple Kiss ones too. 

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5214 on: February 24, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »
Well I'll tell you I got some unfriendly looks when I wore my Phish tee shirt to an Iron Maiden show. :lol  Totally not planned. That's just what I happened to be wearing that day when my friends picked me up. Had not planned on going to the show and it was a last minute thing. Barely made it there in time and missed almost all of DT's set.  :'(

Didn't make any new friends when Adrian messed up going into open string pull-off bit that proceeds the 2nd verse of Pashcendale. As it was only him playing, it was a super obvious mistake. I loudly blurted out "Whooops!" into the silence and got some more evil looks from Maiden fans. Oh I totally get the irony of a Phishhead pointing out a performance mistake!