Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573146 times)

Online faizoff

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4970 on: December 12, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »
Side note about their setlist, I was extremely impressed that they played the entire AMOLAD album on the 1st leg of that tour cycle, it's a crime they never recorded and released a live album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4971 on: December 12, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »
Guys, don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I don't in any way view Iron Maiden as a nostalgia act. They have released some of their best material in the Reunion Era.
You can't deny that half of their tours have been nostalgia tours, and I'm not criticizing the band for it.

I'm only calling bullshit on Bruce. As usual, he's full of shit.

I'm not misunderstanding you, but you have to see that they balanced the nostalgia tours around tours for their new studio albums:

Ed Hunter/Reunion Tour (nostalgia)
ave New World (new album tour)
Give 'Em 'Ed (nostalgia)
Dance of Death (new album tour)
The Early Days (nostalgia)
AMOLAD (new album tour - played album in full)
Somewhere Back in Time (nostalgia)
The Final Frontier (new album tour)
Maiden England tour (nostalgia)
The Book of Souls tour (new album tour)
The Legacy of the Beast (nostalgia)

In the mid-late 90's, you had bands like Sabbath, Kiss and The Eagles basically doing reunions without any new material to support, touring year after year and trotting out their classic songs.
 That's what Bruce was saying.  When he says "this is not about nostalgia," he's saying that Maiden isn't going to rest on their laurels and rake in the money.  They're going to continue to write new music, put out albums, and play those songs live.  It doesn't mean that Maiden will never do nostalgia tours - it's just that there is new music to balance it out.

In this instance, I have never felt that Bruce was in the wrong to say so, as they've always backed up his words and Maiden has never relied entirely on nostalgia.  He was dumb to open for Sabbath and say that though, as Sabbath came on next and played no song written after 1973.  Sharon didn't realize that Bruce had been saying that for years, and instead of taking it as an insult, Sabbath should have risen to the occasion and written new music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4972 on: December 12, 2020, 02:14:31 PM »
 :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4973 on: December 12, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »
I thought the Bruce book was largely dull and not engagingly written, unfortunately. I did read it straight after reading Robert Webb's fantastic autobiography, though, and it paled next to it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4974 on: December 13, 2020, 03:18:54 AM »
I listened to the audiobook, read by Bruce himself, and I quite enjoyed it. But then I am interested in some aspects of his life outside of the music.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4975 on: December 13, 2020, 04:30:38 AM »
I've just listened to Rodrigo's interview with Adrian and I enjoyed it, but I had trouble understanding all of it. At what point in the interview did he confirm the new album has been made?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4976 on: December 13, 2020, 04:36:02 AM »
I've just listened to Rodrigo's interview with Adrian and I enjoyed it, but I had trouble understanding all of it. At what point in the interview did he confirm the new album has been made?

He didn't.  I just assumed Rodrigo had some inside info.  Speculation has been out there for a while though.  A lot of things pointing towards it being in the can.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4977 on: December 13, 2020, 06:34:45 AM »
I've read Bruce's book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not that much info about Maiden, that's true, but a lot of insight into Bruce and his undertakings over the years.

And since when is Bruce Dickinson "full of shit"?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4978 on: December 13, 2020, 06:49:51 AM »

He didn't.  I just assumed Rodrigo had some inside info.  Speculation has been out there for a while though.  A lot of things pointing towards it being in the can.

He didn't confirm. The contact that our editor has in the Maiden camp has confirmed it, and he's the one who promised us an invitation to the launch party when it was scheduled for January 2021. Maiden's M.O. has been like that even before the internet days: they invite journalists that they trust for a listening party of the new albums. Hopefully our invitation will be carried over for when the new release date is confirmed!!!

Regarding the difficulty to understand...boy, does Adrian have a thick accent!!! And like I said before, the quality of the call didn't help either. I'm glad to have transcribed it, so that things are a little bit more clear to understand.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4979 on: December 13, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
Thanks for the insight, Rodrigo. That is really cool.  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4980 on: December 13, 2020, 08:38:01 AM »
I've read Bruce's book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not that much info about Maiden, that's true, but a lot of insight into Bruce and his undertakings over the years.

Bruce is full of himself, that's for sure.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4981 on: December 13, 2020, 10:56:09 AM »
I kind of get the impression Bruce cares for artistic integrity and being graceful. So when a band performs in a reality show, makes a movie of themselves fighting, or gets into scandals, he picks on them. The part that bugs him is that those particular bands are larger than Iron Maiden, despite them in his opinion not showing integrity nor grace.

It's like "You'll never see me in a cheesy documentary, nor in a talent show, nor in tabloid news, and yet I'm still playing to smaller crowds. What the hell?"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4982 on: December 13, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »

He didn't confirm. The contact that our editor has in the Maiden camp has confirmed it, and he's the one who promised us an invitation to the launch party when it was scheduled for January 2021. Maiden's M.O. has been like that even before the internet days: they invite journalists that they trust for a listening party of the new albums. Hopefully our invitation will be carried over for when the new release date is confirmed!!!

Regarding the difficulty to understand...boy, does Adrian have a thick accent!!! And like I said before, the quality of the call didn't help either. I'm glad to have transcribed it, so that things are a little bit more clear to understand.

If you can't make it, let me know and I'll cover  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4983 on: December 13, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
We all like to think that if we were Bruce Dickinson we'd be very quiet, humble, unassuming and wouldn't ruffle any feathers, but I'm pretty sure that if you put me in his situation, you wouldn't be able to pull my head out of my ass either. Like what is he gonna say? That his life isn't fascinating and cool in a way that's almost completely self-made? That his band isn't the epitome of breaking new ground, working hard, influencing millions and never resting on one's laurels? Whatever minuscule mistakes IM has put to tape along the way, they're Iron Maiden, and Bruce Dickinson is Bruce Dickinson.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4984 on: December 13, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »

If you can't make it, let me know and I'll cover  :biggrin:

I don't even know if/when it's going to happen... ;D :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4985 on: December 13, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
We all like to think that if we were Bruce Dickinson we'd be very quiet, humble, unassuming and wouldn't ruffle any feathers, but I'm pretty sure that if you put me in his situation, you wouldn't be able to pull my head out of my ass either. Like what is he gonna say? That his life isn't fascinating and cool in a way that's almost completely self-made? That his band isn't the epitome of breaking new ground, working hard, influencing millions and never resting on one's laurels? Whatever minuscule mistakes IM has put to tape along the way, they're Iron Maiden, and Bruce Dickinson is Bruce Dickinson.

Totally, he's really not that bad when you consider some of his peers, including Ozzy. He's not perfect, but he's a pretty overall solid dude who's got his faults like everyone else.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4986 on: December 14, 2020, 07:26:18 AM »
And as for the tours, I would BEG my favorite bands to do that.  If Kiss alternated "new tours" with "nostalgia" tours, I'd go see THEM every tour too.   Or Dream Theater (though they're pretty close), or Aerosmith or Marillion...    it certainly helps that their new stuff supports that (The Book Of Souls tour was one of their best tours, IMO), but I wish other bands embraced their catalogue like Maiden.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4987 on: December 14, 2020, 07:38:11 AM »

Totally, he's really not that bad when you consider some of his peers, including Ozzy. He's not perfect, but he's a pretty overall solid dude who's got his faults like everyone else.

Let's also consider all his other accomplishments. Ozzy has "just" a TV show going for him beside his carrer, Bruce has done everything, from sports to flying planes and being an entrepeneur. You don't get that good at basically everything you do without being a bit self aware and therefore liking yourself. I shouldn't even speak because I downright worship the man and I'm not that objective, but the book never seemed so self-complacent to me and it was a nice read. The Sarajevo and cancer chapters were by far the best ones. And the show to present the book was great and he's a great entertainer even when he's not singing. I recognize he's neither an angel nor Tom Hanks level of humble, but for all his achievements, he's still great enough to have actual respect and admiration for him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4988 on: December 14, 2020, 07:52:18 AM »
Look, I'm an Ozzy fan, and I think you have to have something other than pure talent to get to the level he's at, even if it's just organizational skills, but Ozzy doesn't hold Bruce's jock when it comes to extra-musicular things.  I don't count the "TV show" as anything special.    You can roll out of bed to shuffle across the kitchen floor, grab the trash bag and mumble "I'm the prince of fucking darkness!" (literally the only scene I've ever seen from The Obsbornes).     You cannot roll out of bed and be a champion fencer, fly ANY plane let along the large craft that Bruce flies, or write books yourself (no ghostwriter).   That takes training, planning, and commitment.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4989 on: December 14, 2020, 07:54:56 AM »
Oh, Bruce is truly admirable and driven. The guy has done a ridiculous amount of stuff, and has succeeded in all of it. I applaud that for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4990 on: December 14, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »

I'm just musing here a bit, but I wonder what it must be like to be recognized everywhere you go?  To have throngs of screaming fans reaching up to you from the pit in from of the stage, having 60,000 fans scream when you tell them to, etc. 

I'd like to think I'd be able to maintain a level of self-deprecation and humility, but who knows what kind of impact all of that has on a person?   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4991 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:31 AM »

I'm just musing here a bit, but I wonder what it must be like to be recognized everywhere you go?  To have throngs of screaming fans reaching up to you from the pit in from of the stage, having 60,000 fans scream when you tell them to, etc. 

I'd like to think I'd be able to maintain a level of self-deprecation and humility, but who knows what kind of impact all of that has on a person?

I think it has to change you, no matter how hard you try to maintain normalcy.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4992 on: December 14, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »

I think it has to change you, no matter how hard you try to maintain normalcy.

No doubt, I very much believe I would be a changed person if I became famous and I fear most of the changes would be bad for my personality.  I'd hope I'd be able to stay humble, but I feel that would be so difficult.  You'll have so many people, even family and friends, try to sway you into things as well which would change who you trust and your close personal relationships.  In some ways, it's like when someone wins the lottery and their life actually gets worse.

There was an interview recently with Corey Taylor who said it was perfect when Slipknot got famous because he wore a mask so no one really knew who he was.  He was able to have the benefits of being famous (money, stability) without the negatives (people knowing who you are).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4993 on: December 14, 2020, 12:09:26 PM »
I think there are times where a musician can be famous and have no one know who they are if they ended up at a random spot like an airport or a restaurant.  When I ran into Myles Kennedy at the airport, last year, going from Orlando to Raleigh, NC, I had the impression that no one else at the gate area, other than myself, knew who he is.  He immediately knew I was a guy that attended Alter Bridge's album listening party the day prior since he asked if I had a good time that day.  It turned out, after we landed in Raleigh, and after I chatted with him a bit at baggage claim that there was a few Australian fans (who also flew from Orlando to Raleigh) that wanted to talk to him as well.

Also sports athletes can have this aura as well where they can go unrecognized and be very humble.  I've read that Jarome Iginla, who spent most of his career with the Calgary Flames, but is recognized as one of the greater players in the NHL in the modern age, recently was interviewed by a Boston news channel talking about the heavier snow weather there (he resides nearby the Boston area now after retiring a few years back) and I don't think they knew what he did for a living, despite spending a season with the Bruins back in 2013-14.  Iginla, to his credit, always has a reputation of being one of the more easy-going guys to be around off the ice and not let fame affect him.

Must be a great dream to do what you love for a living, get paid for it well, go into retirement, and not have people know who you are if you are in a random area.  That's what something Neil Peart would probably love to strived to attain at times.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:37:39 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4995 on: December 14, 2020, 12:46:45 PM »
Must be a great dream to do what you love for a living, get paid for it well, go into retirement, and not have people know who you are if you are in a random area.  That's what something Neil Peart would probably love to strived to attain at times.

I remember once reading a list about "famous musicians that nobody knows" or something like that - it was basically session musicians who are so good at their craft, that they're in hot demand, so they get paid a lot for their work, but they don't go on tour for whatever reason (personal preference, they are just hired guns etc...). Basically there's a ton of good musicians out there that everybody has heard 50 songs they play on, and they would never recognize them or even know their name if they'd pass them by on the streets.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

« Reply #4997 on: December 14, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »

I remember once reading a list about "famous musicians that nobody knows" or something like that - it was basically session musicians who are so good at their craft, that they're in hot demand, so they get paid a lot for their work, but they don't go on tour for whatever reason (personal preference, they are just hired guns etc...). Basically there's a ton of good musicians out there that everybody has heard 50 songs they play on, and they would never recognize them or even know their name if they'd pass them by on the streets.

I always thought Larry Mullen Jr. of U2 had the best situation. In a massively popular influential band that can sell out stadiums but nobody really knows who the hell he is outside of diehard fans.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4998 on: December 15, 2020, 02:59:45 PM »
Is this a good place to mention Blaze Bayley is releasing a new album? War within me is coming out on April 9th.

https://blazebayley.co.uk/

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4999 on: December 15, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »
Is this a good place to mention Blaze Bayley is releasing a new album? War within me is coming out on April 9th.

https://blazebayley.co.uk/

:metal

I didn't care too much for that trilogy thing he just did, but I'll gladly check this out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5000 on: December 15, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »
Lol, 3 of the song titles;

The Dream of Alan Turing
The Power of Nikola Tesla
The Unstoppable Stephen Hawking

:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5001 on: December 15, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »

The Dream of Alan Turing

I'm going to order the one with the Japanese Bonus Tracks

The Stubborn Steve Harris
The Douchery Of Bruce Dickinson

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5002 on: December 15, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »

The Dream of Alan Turing

I'm going to order the one with the Japanese Bonus Tracks

The Stubborn Steve Harris
The Douchery Of Bruce Dickinson

LOL

His output is hit and miss...and A WHOLE LOT of miss. This one seems to have been made on an app called "MetalRiffGenerator.exe": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJTXqHA2eYs

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5003 on: December 15, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
https://rockinrio.com/rio/pt-br/line-up/
Maiden already did the Legacy of The Beast show in the last RiR. So it seems to me that the new album will be out before next september (although I still doubt that this RiR will happen... at least in Rio de Janeiro or in Brazil).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5004 on: December 15, 2020, 11:30:31 PM »

Change Bruce Dickinson's personality and you fundamentally change Iron Maiden and their history. It's as simple as that.

Loved your comment about Adrian's accent, Rodrigo. He just sounds very London to me (which is, of course, very accented to people not from London although there are big degrees of difference contained within), which is what I grew up with on my mum's side.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)