Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573251 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4900 on: December 10, 2020, 05:19:12 AM »
Ritchie Kotzen/Adrian Smith!
https://open.spotify.com/album/6YnInEhUUs5ghFRbPt8WvH?si=r5XPQZ8yQLG4HWjw1fvAjA
Rodrigo, do you know if this will be a full album?!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4901 on: December 10, 2020, 06:15:09 AM »
Yes, it will be.

Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13MprqKfqGI
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4902 on: December 10, 2020, 06:21:27 AM »
Nice! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4903 on: December 10, 2020, 06:59:48 AM »
Interesting. Do we know the rest of the lineup?

I am definitely not a fan of Kotzen. So boring.

I hope there's better material on this album. The musical break is nice though.

Definitely will have to hear it first.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4904 on: December 10, 2020, 07:57:50 AM »
 This will be a full album, and Adrian alluded to it in the interview. I'm excited for this, but the one track that was revealed sounded more like "Richie Kotzen, with special guest Adrian Smith". My guess is that Richie played drums and bass in it as well...maybe Adrian had a go at playing bass here and there too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4905 on: December 10, 2020, 07:59:26 AM »
This will be a full album, and Adrian alluded to it in the interview. I'm excited for this, but the one track that was revealed sounded more like "Richie Kotzen, with special guest Adrian Smith". My guess is that Richie played drums and bass in it as well...maybe Adrian had a go at playing bass here and there too.

Sounds like a pass to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4906 on: December 10, 2020, 08:12:28 AM »
Yea, that just sounds like Ritchie Kotzen which is pretty good to me, but I wonder what Adrian's influence is on it because based on that, I would of just assumed it was a Ritchie song.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4907 on: December 10, 2020, 08:16:50 AM »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4908 on: December 10, 2020, 09:00:52 AM »
Really good interview, Rodrigo, again!
Just one thing that I have a curiosity is if he thinks that it would be interesting for Maiden to work with another producer than Kevin Shirley. In my opinion, he never really was a right choice for Maiden, in terms of sound's quality.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4909 on: December 10, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »
Just one thing that I have a curiosity is if he thinks that it would be interesting for Maiden to work with another producer than Kevin Shirley. In my opinion, he never really was a right choice for Maiden, in terms of sound's quality.

Kevin is just a yes man for Steve Harris, to be honest.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4910 on: December 10, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »

Kevin is just a yes man for Steve Harris, to be honest.

I don't mean this as harshly as it sounds, but other than Bruce, who isn't?  It's his band, and he ultimately calls the shots and I think that's been pretty clear since back when Stratton and Di'Anno were in the band.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4911 on: December 10, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4912 on: December 10, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »
That's great Rodrigo, that you for sharing it with us.

I listened to the interview and i have one question... What was all that noise? Were you washing your dishes in the beginning of the interview? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4913 on: December 10, 2020, 09:56:39 AM »
That's great Rodrigo, that you for sharing it with us.

I listened to the interview and i have one question... What was all that noise? Were you washing your dishes in the beginning of the interview? :lol

The noise was at his end, no??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4914 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
Iron Maiden Guitarist Washes His Dishes While Being Interviewed!

;D

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4915 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
Iron Maiden Guitarist Washes His Dishes While Being Interviewed!

;D

:rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4916 on: December 10, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
 :lol it was a bit noisy, but very cool and good interview!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4917 on: December 10, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »

VERY noisy, and hard to transcribe too, because of that and due to Adrian's thick accent. I had the same issue when I interviewed Biff Byford and Steve Hackett - calls from the UK to Canada are usually VERY noisy. With Biff, there was a horrible delay, and I don't think we had the greatest rapport because of that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4918 on: December 10, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
Your efforts are appreciated Rodrigo!

I love the headline quote you chose where he mentions not really being grateful for his time in the band the first time around. That's a money line, and it's too bad he dropped it so late in the interview to follow up on. I've seen and read a number of interviews on the book promo run, and that's the first time i have heard him say that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4919 on: December 10, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »

VERY noisy, and hard to transcribe too, because of that and due to Adrian's thick accent. I had the same issue when I interviewed Biff Byford and Steve Hackett - calls from the UK to Canada are usually VERY noisy. With Biff, there was a horrible delay, and I don't think we had the greatest rapport because of that.

Would it be better to do it over an internet service for the next time you're interviewing someone across the pond?  Like webex or zoom? 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4920 on: December 10, 2020, 10:38:18 AM »

Would it be better to do it over an internet service for the next time you're interviewing someone across the pond?  Like webex or zoom?

At that level, THEIR PR choses the way the artists will connect with interviewers. I usually go with Skype and it's great because I record it in two channels, and it's quite easy to correct any awkward silence, stuttering etc from either side. On the phone, it's much more difficult to correct anything.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4921 on: December 10, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »

At that level, THEIR PR choses the way the artists will connect with interviewers. I usually go with Skype and it's great because I record it in two channels, and it's quite easy to correct any awkward silence, stuttering etc from either side. On the phone, it's much more difficult to correct anything.

Ah true, makes sense, but you'd hope their management would also want the best product.  I was wondering that too, I know you've had video interviews before.  I could see where they might want to just do audio and not video, but using those products for just audio are probably better given the locations.  What do I know, good stuff man, you've been grinding with the interviews and it's awesome you've got to do someone like Adrian.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4922 on: December 10, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »

This 100%

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4923 on: December 10, 2020, 10:53:05 AM »

Ah true, makes sense, but you'd hope their management would also want the best product.  I was wondering that too, I know you've had video interviews before.  I could see where they might want to just do audio and not video, but using those products for just audio are probably better given the locations.  What do I know, good stuff man, you've been grinding with the interviews and it's awesome you've got to do someone like Adrian.

Thanks man...Adrian is definitely the cream of the crop...and it all started with me saying yes to MinistroRaven's offer to interview Derek Sherinian when the first Sons of Apollo album came out!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4924 on: December 10, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »
That's awesome, keep it up!  :metal

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4925 on: December 10, 2020, 10:57:16 AM »

Thanks man...Adrian is definitely the cream of the crop...and it all started with me saying yes to MinistroRaven's offer to interview Derek Sherinian when the first Sons of Apollo album came out!

And I remember thinking, "this man only wants the promo and will run away with it" LOL  :rollin

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4926 on: December 10, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »
MinistroRaven, Rodrigo, I appreciate the time taken to do a transcript. I would almost never listen to an interview, but more often than usual if there's a transcript, I'll read it. So as long as you do transcripts and the interviewees are interesting enough, you've got a follower.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4927 on: December 10, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »
MinistroRaven, Rodrigo, I appreciate the time taken to do a transcript. I would almost never listen to an interview, but more often than usual if there's a transcript, I'll read it. So as long as you do transcripts and the interviewees are interesting enough, you've got a follower.

Honestly, I stopped transcribing, and only do it when the band's PR demands it. It takes FOREVER to transcribe a single line properly. We use a software that captures audio and transcribes it, but with Adrian's accent, I had to correct the whole text...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4928 on: December 10, 2020, 11:12:40 AM »

Honestly, I stopped transcribing, and only do it when the band's PR demands it. It takes FOREVER to transcribe a single line properly. We use a software that captures audio and transcribes it, but with Adrian's accent, I had to correct the whole text...

Yeah, I noticed that, and I realize how time-consuming it is, and that's why I thanked you for this particular interview. I had a blast reading that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4929 on: December 10, 2020, 11:59:16 AM »
That was an awesome interview! loved Adrian's candor and that part about not having much privacy kinda stuck with me. I'm the type of guy who never ever approaches any celebrity when they're out in the public, I've seen quite a few and my wife always bugs me to ask them for pictures, autographs, etc.. I always refuse, unless they start the conversation I never bother. I don't know why but I feel I'd want the same.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4930 on: December 10, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
That was an awesome interview! loved Adrian's candor and that part about not having much privacy kinda stuck with me. I'm the type of guy who never ever approaches any celebrity when they're out in the public, I've seen quite a few and my wife always bugs me to ask them for pictures, autographs, etc.. I always refuse, unless they start the conversation I never bother. I don't know why but I feel I'd want the same.

I think when you start to get famous it must be a great feeling to be recognized in the streets, restaurants and all that. But that novelty quickly wears off, and when it's tough even for you to have breakfast like Adrian describes, it must be awful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4931 on: December 10, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
A close friend of mine claims (and has for the past 25-odd years) to have jammed with Adrian and Nicko while on vacation in the Bahamas once in the 90's.  My friend played bass, and when they started, Adrian leaned over and mumbled, "blues in C" and just went from there.

He's a close, close friend, and while he's prone to boasting, he's not one to make stories out of whole cloth.  I've not seen any photos but I tend to believe him.  I do know he said Adrian was on another level entirely in terms of playing (and my friend is no slouch; he's played 100's of shows and even cut a record back in the 90's.)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4932 on: December 10, 2020, 12:30:23 PM »
Nice interview! I can so understand what he said about meeting fans, and the difference between a couple of guys asking politely, and a mass of hysterical fans grabbing you. The eternal struggle between wanting to be nice to your fans and your right to your own privacy and sanity.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns