Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557753 times)

Lupton and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Lupton

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4690 on: June 02, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
It's all good everyone.   :hat
But thanks for the various explanations regarding making rankings and lists. Always good to get insight as to why people do things. Had a wonderful Maiden binge last night. Listened to many personal favorites and others with which I wanted become more familiar. I had good timing too -- ran out of beer exactly as Empire of the Clouds (the last song on my list) was wrapping up.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4691 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »
That's awesome. I know all about the running out of beer while rockin out thing.  Glad you had enough to make it through.. 🍻
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4692 on: June 02, 2020, 03:05:29 PM »
It is just a way different brains work. For example, when I was about 10 or 11 years old I became obsessed with the role playing football game put out by a company called Strat-O-Matic.  There was a solitaire version of playing the game and during the summer in my spare time I would play every single game of every single team for an entire 16 game season as well as playing all the playoffs and all the way into the Super Bowl. Part of the fun for me at least, was collecting all the stats. I even had a file drawer with the stat sheets from every single game and I compiled them into lists of who had the most yards this season, who was the most valuable player...etc...etc.

Taking it over in the music, I was making a classroom top 10 list once a week going all the way back to the fourth grade. I would make several of these lists and pass them out to classmates. at home, I obsessively keep my CDs in alphabetical and chronological order.

So yes, while I understand that it sometimes hurts to put things in lists (“OMG! I love that song so much it hurts to put it down the list that far!”), there is ultimately a joy to it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4693 on: June 02, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
Count me in as well among those who aren't able to come up with long musical lists, I could at best do so with a specific album, but not with an entire carrer. Especially with Iron Maiden, my favorite band that I listen since 1995, for which I wouldn't know how to begin to compare the songs I've heard over all these years. How do I rate The Trooper, a song that I listen to since 25 years, against Empire of the Clouds? how do a 18 minutes long piano ballad ranks above or below a song I heard a gazillion times and that I know inside out to the point that I don't even listen to it anymore, except for live shows, which is a 5 minutes galopping rocker anyway?

And it's not like I'm not without my quirks. For example when I go to work I listen to compilations created as a setlist. I even pick an intro - I fool around with classical music maybe used by the real band or I make it up fooling around with free sound effects I find on Youtube) and I do encores, to the point that I calculate some additional time to pause the playlist before the encore starts. And I carefully pace them so that I can have my favorite songs in the moments where I can't do other stuff on the subway like reading, for example when I'm waiting a commute with another line, that's when I want to make sure I listen to a song I particulary like. And I even change "setlists" from "tour to tour", when new albums come out. In 2017 I made a 20 years anniversary compilation / setlist for Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth, and I didn't include any song off Chemical Wedding except for a b-side. Why? because I already knew that in 2018 I would have made a 20 years anniversary compilation for that album, and that I would have listened to it in full. Not even Mike Portnoy thinks that far ahead with the real setlists he creates.

But yet I wouldn't know where to begin to determine which is my 17th favorite song and which is my 21st. Not by myself however, I should do a giant league tornament like Destiny of Chaos does to find out probably  :D

Those who are able, I can however understand the fun that it brings to have such solid bases on which to build around discussions about music  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Lupton

« Reply #4694 on: June 02, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
Count me in as well among those who aren't able to come up with long musical lists, I could at best do so with a specific album, but not with an entire carrer. Especially with Iron Maiden, my favorite band that I listen since 1995, for which I wouldn't know how to begin to compare the songs I've heard over all these years. How do I rate The Trooper, a song that I listen to since 25 years, against Empire of the Clouds? how do a 18 minutes long piano ballad ranks above or below a song I heard a gazillion times and that I know inside out to the point that I don't even listen to it anymore, except for live shows, which is a 5 minutes galopping rocker anyway?

And it's not like I'm not without my quirks. For example when I go to work I listen to compilations created as a setlist. I even pick an intro - I fool around with classical music maybe used by the real band or I make it up fooling around with free sound effects I find on Youtube) and I do encores, to the point that I calculate some additional time to pause the playlist before the encore starts. And I carefully pace them so that I can have my favorite songs in the moments where I can't do other stuff on the subway like reading, for example when I'm waiting a commute with another line, that's when I want to make sure I listen to a song I particulary like. And I even change "setlists" from "tour to tour", when new albums come out. In 2017 I made a 20 years anniversary compilation / setlist for Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth, and I didn't include any song off Chemical Wedding except for a b-side. Why? because I already knew that in 2018 I would have made a 20 years anniversary compilation for that album, and that I would have listened to it in full. Not even Mike Portnoy thinks that far ahead with the real setlists he creates.

But yet I wouldn't know where to begin to determine which is my 17th favorite song and which is my 21st. Not by myself however, I should do a giant league tornament like Destiny of Chaos does to find out probably  :D

Those who are able, I can however understand the fun that it brings to have such solid bases on which to build around discussions about music  :tup

:tup Great post. The first paragraph goes a long way towards explaining why rankings don't really work for me either. You give examples of two different songs. One tune is really long and has more of a somber mood and is only 5 years old. The other is shorter almost 1/4 the length of the other and completely different more aggresive vibe and is imbued with the nostalgia of all the years spent listening to it going back to more youthful days. They serve completely different functions and cannot really be compared to each other as it's a proverbial apples and oranges situation. They require different moods and mindsets to appreciate. To carry the analogy over to movies maybe one movie is a comedy or a mindless action adventure flick, while another is a serious drama with very sober view towards the human condition. Like take something like Shindler's List vs Terminator 2. So maybe it's possible to overall like one more than the other (rank it higher) you have to be in a different mood or frame of mind to enjoy either one. They are experienced differently by design.

Or maybe a toolbox analogy. In the box of tools there is a hammer, screwdriver, hacksaw, monkeywrench, etc.. . Someone says numerically rate the tools from best to worst. So sure it makes sense that you can do this based on the quality of the tools or which ones you use the most. But the pertinent question would be: What are we going to build/repair? That would be nature dictate which tools are more adequate for the job and which ones will be used the most. We can carry the analogy over to food as well. What's your favorite food? Well, you don't want to have that every meal? Is it for breakfast, dessert? etc.. etc..

Different pieces of music are just to beautiful and unique for me to even consider ranking in list fashion, but it's really cool that people enjoy doing these things and get something out of it; more power to you. And as others have pointed out it can be a good springboard into more nuanced conversation regarding the items in the list. It's fine.  :)

Online Lupton

« Reply #4695 on: June 02, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
That's awesome. I know all about the running out of beer while rockin out thing.  Glad you had enough to make it through.. 🍻

Thanks! Glad you can understand the situation  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4696 on: June 02, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »
1. Hammer
2. Tape Measure
3. Screwdriver
4. Pliers
5. Drill
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Lupton

« Reply #4697 on: June 02, 2020, 09:02:38 PM »
1. Hammer
2. Tape Measure
3. Screwdriver
4. Pliers
5. Drill

1. Hammer
2. Hammer
3. Hammer
4. Hammer
5. Hammer

Suddenly everything looks like a nail ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4698 on: June 02, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
Damn repeating.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Lupton

« Reply #4699 on: June 02, 2020, 09:09:27 PM »
Also I didn't even mention what MirrorMask alluded to in his post was if you listen to something too much you may not want to listen to it anymore because you've heard it a "gazillion times". It's like Tom Sawyer. Great song and would probably go at the top of most people's lists but I don't really want to hear it except on the odd occasion. Last night I skipped Aces High, 2 Minutes and Powerslave and listened to everything else on that album for that very reason; because I've heard those songs a TON. I may even think those 3 are superior (I'd have to put them up higher on any list I suppose?) but I don't want to hear them. Law of diminishing return can be very real at times. Another reason why lists don't compute..if I get more enjoyment out of songs lower on the list because they haven't been played to death does that mean they really need to be higher on the list over songs I consider better? Arrg! Hurts my head. So I'll just shut up and listen to the music. 

Online Lupton

« Reply #4700 on: June 02, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: June 10, 2020, 08:35:37 AM »
Just got an e-mail that the show in July I had tickets to is cancelled, as expected. Sucks as it would've been my first Maiden show. Hopefully I'll still be able to catch them in the future.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4702 on: June 15, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
I'm sure I sent this before, but I can't help myself.... today marks 12 years from the day I got on stage during Iron Maiden's performance of Heaven Can Wait at the sold out Madison Square Garden.  Easily the best concert moment of my life, not only to be standing and singing along right next to Steve Harris, but being on the MSG stage in front of a sold out crowd while the band's wives were also all on stage.  I just had to capture the video from the bootleg of the show on youtube and add some of my own flare.  Also, this was the infamous power outage during Powerslave show that I got to see unfold while waiting to go on stage so I had an unbelievable and unforgettable experience both before going on stage and when we finally got to be on stage.  I don't think anything can top this moment.   :metal :metal

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1272656950313062402

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4703 on: June 15, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4704 on: June 15, 2020, 09:57:53 PM »
Indeed that looks balls out awesome!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4705 on: July 31, 2020, 11:04:13 AM »
https://wacken-world-wide.com/

Live streaming their 2018 Wacken performance.  Must not be the whole thing, started with The Red and the Black.  But so far, awesome!  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4706 on: August 03, 2020, 06:24:32 AM »
I forgot if I've mentioned this before... but the local Fox station (NOT THE CABLE NEWS NETWORK, but the local affiliate station) uses the intro to The Angel And The Gambler as part of one of their promos.  Or a piece of music that sounds very much like TAATG. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4707 on: August 19, 2020, 07:24:24 PM »
Anyone looking at this book? It seems interesting. Adrian seems like such a great guy. I think I'd rather read Adrian talking about fishing than Bruce talking about himself (yawn).

http://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden-guitarist-adrian-smith-receives-first-copy-of-fishing-memoir-monsters-of-river-rock-unboxing-video

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4708 on: August 20, 2020, 07:02:40 AM »
I don't care about fishing, but I'd read it for the other stuff.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4709 on: August 20, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »
I don't care about fishing, but I'd read it for the other stuff.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of bass talk in the book. *wink wink*

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4710 on: August 20, 2020, 11:30:06 PM »
Anyone looking at this book? It seems interesting. Adrian seems like such a great guy. I think I'd rather read Adrian talking about fishing than Bruce talking about himself (yawn).

http://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden-guitarist-adrian-smith-receives-first-copy-of-fishing-memoir-monsters-of-river-rock-unboxing-video

As he is my favorite guitarist, I will be buying this. I see it as akin to Neil Peart's books. I will buy out of sheer appreciation of the musician and person.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4711 on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:08 PM »
Hey, people who know Maiden better than me.... what's the best/your favorite live release, just in terms of audio, not the DVD package? I assume Live After Death would be a heavily favored #1 (correct me if I am wrong); if so, aside from that one? 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4712 on: September 24, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »
You realize you're going to get 10 different answers right? :lol

Live After Death is certainly the classic choice. I'd start there, live wise.

Rock In Rio, Death On The Road, En Vivo, and Live Chapter are weighed heavy by their particular album cycle they're touring.

I'm in the minority, but I personally like Death On The Road the best. It's the only one of the four Reunion Albums not recorded in front of an entire fucking country of people. It's an arena show, and I like the way the crowd is mixed with the songs, really lifting up the songs themselves. The versions of songs like Hallowed and Fear Of The Dark have an incredible energy.

Spotify, or Youtube, is your friend.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4713 on: September 24, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »

Live After Death is certainly the classic choice. I'd start there, live wise.

Rock In Rio, Death On The Road, En Vivo, and Live Chapter are weighed heavy by their particular album cycle they're touring.

I'm in the minority, but I personally like Death On The Road the best. It's the only one of the four Reunion Albums not recorded in front of an entire fucking country of people. It's an arena show, and I like the way the crowd is mixed with the songs, really lifting up the songs themselves. The versions of songs like Hallowed and Fear Of The Dark have an incredible energy.

I agree. The arena made a big difference, plus you get Paschendale and DoD. And while I'm fond of LAD, it was a monumental concert for me, they recorded it too late in the tour. Bruce wasn't up to snuff.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4714 on: September 24, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »

I did, which is one of the great things about the band. Different people would have different opinions, and I wanted to hear different perspectives. 

I've been checking them out, again, just curious about others' thoughts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4715 on: September 24, 2020, 08:40:12 PM »
If we just stick to the CD and not include the video of these concerts, personally, I'd go with Rock in Rio.  I may be biased because that album, and specifically the Fear of the Dark performance really is what made me a die hard fan.  I didn't get the DVD until a bit later to realize how shitty the video was, but the CD quality and crowd energy is amazing.  But some of this comes down to which albums you like the best.  RiR heavily features Brave New World plus has a couple Blaze songs.  I think a lot of old school fans will say LAD because it was monumental at the time, but I didn't love that when compared to more recent releases that I already had (RiR and DotR).  It's certainly a great live album and deserves it's recognition, but if you want strict audio, I'd probably choose Flight 666 over it.  Even for video, I'd choose Flight 666.  LAD is awesome though, I don't mean any of this as a negative, just think the band and production got better in the more recent years.  Fantastic album for the time though.  You really can't go wrong with any of the ones I've mentioned. 

If you told me you loved a certain album, it might lead to a better recommendation though.  En Vivo is awesome for example but if you weren't a fan of TFF I wouldn't recommend it first.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #4716 on: September 24, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
Well Live After Death is the greatest live album of all time (imo), just can't see where you can go wrong with that. To me it just has a certain magic that the more recent releases don't have.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4717 on: September 24, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »
I've always been partial to Maiden England, myself. Killers is just crackin' on that thing. Also probably one of the more unique classic lineup setlists. I liked it so much I had ripped the audio off of my VHS long before they finally re-released the show.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Realm

« Reply #4718 on: September 24, 2020, 09:30:48 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Maiden England. Definitely my second fav after Live After Death. I had both those releases on VHS and watched them so much I wore out the tapes. What are the views of Bruce on Maiden England? With this stage banter, he kind of comes across like he had a few drinks before the show.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4719 on: September 24, 2020, 10:19:17 PM »
Yep Maiden England for me.

Beast Over Hammersmith is incredible too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4720 on: September 24, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
Yep Maiden England for me.

Beast Over Hammersmith is incredible too.

I think this still comes down to what album/s you really like, these are all excellent choices for their era

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4721 on: September 25, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »
Honestly, for me, the live albums are divided into two buckets:  The ones that are a complete show (or mimic a complete show) - The Beast Over Hammersmith, Live After Death - or the ones that are a compilation (with fades in between each song) - Flight 666, A Real Live Dead One.

The rest of the discussion is as said here: what album/era do you like best?

For me, the top three are:  Beast Over Hammersmith, Death On The Road, and En Vivo!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4722 on: September 25, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »
Honestly, for me, the live albums are divided into two buckets:  The ones that are a complete show (or mimic a complete show) - The Beast Over Hammersmith, Live After Death - or the ones that are a compilation (with fades in between each song) - Flight 666, A Real Live Dead One.

The rest of the discussion is as said here: what album/era do you like best?

For me, the top three are:  Beast Over Hammersmith, Death On The Road, and En Vivo!
Yeah, I didn't really think of F666 as a live show, but I suppose it is. I've certainly got a soft spot for that one as I was at one of the shows.

And speaking of overlooked live shows, there are a couple of unofficial ones that are excellent, to. The Ulevi show is fantastic (another tour I was most fortunate to see), and the Puerto Allegre show is also very good. Puerto Allegre is also an arena show, and while I hadn't actually thought of it until Tim brought it up, that really does make a big difference in the quality of the gig.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4723 on: September 25, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »
F666 is special to me as it was the first new IM album I got after becoming a fan. Yes, I was late to the party. Otherwise I would normally like a full show from a single night (or nights from the same venue spliced in to one to resemble one night). 

I'd rank the IM in tiers:

TNotB/PoM/PS
Reunion era
- AMOLAD
- BNW-DOD-BOS

- TFF

Iron Maiden
Killers

SiT/SSoaSS

NPftD/FotD/TXF/VXI

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4724 on: September 25, 2020, 08:22:09 PM »
While I prefer my live albums to be single shows, I'm fine with F666 as it is. It's technically a soundtrack to what might be one of the best rock and roll documentaries ever made. And in that vain, I'm fine with it being from different shows. It does maintain the integrity of the setlist running order, so it's all good.

I've recommended this film to non Maiden fans, and they've been blown away by the film.