Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572590 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4480 on: May 15, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
Whaaaaaaaat? I was so sure to have checked back in the day...... well then, FML, I suck at Maiden knowledge.

There were FIVE "Longest Iron Maiden song", not four.

EDIT: Maybe the misconception comes from the way the reissues handle the weird "reprise" at the end.

Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8IuFl3sMhk

It starts after 2 seconds of silence, the "real" song ends at 7:06/7, and then the distorted "You torture me, back at your lair!" reprise brings it up to 7:20.

That's probably why I remembered Phantom being slightly longer than Hallowed (by cheating a little).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4481 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:50 PM »
Whaaaaaaaat? I was so sure to have checked back in the day...... well then, FML, I suck at Maiden knowledge.

There were FIVE "Longest Iron Maiden song", not four.

EDIT: Maybe the misconception comes from the way the reissues handle the weird "reprise" at the end.

Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8IuFl3sMhk

It starts after 2 seconds of silence, the "real" song ends at 7:06/7, and then the distorted "You torture me, back at your lair!" reprise brings it up to 7:20.

That's probably why I remembered Phantom being slightly longer than Hallowed (by cheating a little).

Looks like that was something that was just left on the master tape but not actually part of the song (or really even a "reprise").
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4482 on: May 15, 2020, 03:32:56 PM »
I'm confused. What is the criteria for longest song? They have several other songs longer than those, minus Clouds.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4483 on: May 15, 2020, 04:04:52 PM »
We're talking about longest songs EVER at a determined point of the discography. There was a time when To Tame a Land was the longest song in Iron Maiden's discography, before neither Rime of the Ancient Mariner (which was their longest song from 1984 to 2015) neither the many songs longer than To Tame a Land itself that you can find on the second half of their discography were written yet.

So yes, there are many songs between 1984 and 2015 that are longer than To Tame a Land, but none of those can claim to have been, at a point, the longest EVER Iron Maiden song. To Tame Land however for a year was IM's longest song.

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4484 on: May 15, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »
Right. I read that last sentence of the useless trivia post wrong. Rime is still longer than the 10+ minute songs between it and Clouds.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4485 on: May 18, 2020, 03:03:20 PM »
Oh, damn. Horrible news related to the Maiden camp. Bruce Dickinson's (estranged) wife, Paddy, died in what has been reported as a tragic accident at home. Bummer news  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4486 on: May 18, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »
Oh, damn. Horrible news related to the Maiden camp. Bruce Dickinson's (estranged) wife, Paddy, died in what has been reported as a tragic accident at home. Bummer news  :(

Oh shit, that's horrible.  :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4487 on: May 19, 2020, 07:06:46 AM »
WOW, that is a shock.   Huh. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4488 on: May 19, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »
That's sad. Condolences to Bruce and his fam.

Talking about the music, I decided to do a deep dive on the Bruce-fronted Maiden material (I'm already a huge fan, but never really did any sort of ranking/list). It's amazing how much quality is there. Every record, there's at least two or three tunes that would make a Best Of compilation of mine.

My least favorite of the Bruce-fronted Maiden are probably No Prayer/Fear of the Dark/The Final Frontier. But I do love songs from all three. Just from a full album listening experience.

My FAVORITE ones are probably The Number of the Beast/Piece of Mind/Brave New World.

My favorite one-two punch opening tracks, however, are on Somewhere in Time: "Caught Somewhere in Time" and "Wasted Years." That duo just SLIGHTLY beats out "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight" on Powerslave.

I think the most underrated record from Bruce-led Maiden is A Matter of Life and Death. It's really a deep record, both musically and conceptually, and I love that one.

Anyway, random Tuesday thoughts...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4489 on: May 19, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
Not sure AMOLAD is underrated. Isn't it widely regarded as the Reunion Era's seminal album?

Also, I love TFF. I think it's amazing.

I'm also a big fan of Fear Of The Dark. I feel it's 8 songs deep, and suffers from being their first album in the CD age. Easily 2-4 songs too many.

My one two opening punch would go to Moonchild/Infinite Dreams, although Caught Somewhere In Time is a Top 5 Maiden song for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4490 on: May 19, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »
Not sure AMOLAD is underrated. Isn't it widely regarded as the Reunion Era's seminal album?

It is? I always thought that album was a slog, but better than The Final Frontier. I've always pegged Brave New World as the seminal reunion album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4491 on: May 19, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
That's so sad!

On another note: Chris Dale the former bassist on the Skunkworks session has uploaded demos and rehearsal from the pre-production.

Pre-Production:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZbcTy49l4&list=PLyF2YGg03yRVKhMPvmch184DKdIg-Ik5l&index=2&t=0s

Demo tapes:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyF2YGg03yRXRDjkPXHK9TXmJSat1_Qok

FALLING (Unreleased song)

Really cool stuff actually!  :metal
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:12:06 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4492 on: May 19, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »

It is? I always thought that album was a slog, but better than The Final Frontier. I've always pegged Brave New World as the seminal reunion album.

You thought it was a slog, but I think most people rank it #1.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4493 on: May 19, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »
My top one-two opening punch : Where Eagles Dare / Revelations

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4494 on: May 19, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »

Er, okay? I'm just saying I haven't seen many people, in the big picture, put AMOLAD as the "#1/seminal reunion album." It just seems to be Brave New World from my perspective (and a take that I agree with). I do think it's a slog, but that's not my basis for thinking it isn't the seminal album. Neither of us have proof to back it up. What you think holds no more weight than what I think unless we do a poll of every Maiden fan on the planet. Just based on my experience over the last 14 years since AMOLAD came out I've seen more praise for BNW post-reunion than AMOLAD.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4495 on: May 19, 2020, 01:10:34 PM »
My top one-two opening punch : Where Eagles Dare / Revelations

That's third for me. Honestly, if it would have went Where Eagles Dare/Flight of Icarus, that would have been my #1.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4496 on: May 19, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »

Er, okay? I'm just saying I haven't seen many people, in the big picture, put AMOLAD as the "#1/seminal reunion album." It just seems to be Brave New World from my perspective (and a take that I agree with). I do think it's a slog, but that's not my basis for thinking it isn't the seminal album. Neither of us have proof to back it up. What you think holds no more weight than what I think unless we do a poll of every Maiden fan on the planet. Just based on my experience over the last 14 years since AMOLAD came out I've seen more praise for BNW post-reunion than AMOLAD.

DTF speaks, and we're both right!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49382.0

I've been looking for something similar on Maidenfans..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4497 on: May 19, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »
Well, if we're using DTF as the metric, that's an incredibly small pool to pick from. I'm just going by what I've read on forums, chat rooms, comments, friends, people at concerts and festivals throughout my life and I still have no idea what the consensus is other than what I can hazard a guess at. I've only been posting here for a few years.  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #4498 on: May 19, 2020, 01:24:12 PM »
I'm accustomed to seeing BNW and AMOLAD ranked far out ahead of the other three reunion albums. I think BNW has a broader appeal (more people rank it as their favorite reunion album), but AMOLAD perhaps has a stronger appeal (the people who love it tend to rank it higher in the overall discography than those who prefer BNW).

In other words, it seems that some people think the reunion era is good but can't touch the 1982-88 material, and those people seem to prefer BNW out of all the reunion albums. Other people rank the reunion era almost as high or actually as high as the 1982-88 material, and those fans tend to prefer AMOLAD.

Personally, I would take TFF out of all 16 albums. But I'd put AMOLAD second. BNW is very good, but I think still shows some rough edges. Songwriting-wise, I contend it's more similar to Virtual XI than to Dance of Death, and it has many of the songwriting flaws VXI has.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4499 on: May 19, 2020, 01:26:07 PM »
Well, if we're using DTF as the metric, that's an incredibly small pool to pick from. I'm just going by what I've read on forums, chat rooms, comments, friends, people at concerts and festivals throughout my life and I still have no idea what the consensus is other than what I can hazard a guess at. I've only been posting here for a few years.  :lol

Well, my main point is that I don't think AMOLAD is underrated.

Especially by fans of Brave New World. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4500 on: May 19, 2020, 01:26:36 PM »
It's really good for memorizing lyrics, at least.

out of the darkness brighter than a thousand suns

Offline 425

« Reply #4501 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »
I mean, I don't think you can come at AMOLAD for being repetitive while praising BNW on the other hand. :P

your time will come your time will come your time will come your time will come your time will come
a brave new world in a brave new world a brave new world in a brave new world in a brave new world a brave new world
we're blood brothers we're blood brothers we're blood brothers we're blood brothers we're blood brothers we're blood brothers
show them no fear show them no pain show them no fear show them no pain show them no fear show them no pain
the dream is true the dream is true the dream is true the dream is true the dream is true the dream is true
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4502 on: May 19, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
Well, those are the better songs. :neverusethis:

Maiden's repetition goes back to the 80s, but I really didn't notice it until AMOLAD, personally.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4503 on: May 19, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
I'm accustomed to seeing BNW and AMOLAD ranked far out ahead of the other three reunion albums. I think BNW has a broader appeal (more people rank it as their favorite reunion album), but AMOLAD perhaps has a stronger appeal (the people who love it tend to rank it higher in the overall discography than those who prefer BNW).

In other words, it seems that some people think the reunion era is good but can't touch the 1982-88 material, and those people seem to prefer BNW out of all the reunion albums. Other people rank the reunion era almost as high or actually as high as the 1982-88 material, and those fans tend to prefer AMOLAD.

Personally, I would take TFF out of all 16 albums. But I'd put AMOLAD second. BNW is very good, but I think still shows some rough edges. Songwriting-wise, I contend it's more similar to Virtual XI than to Dance of Death, and it has many of the songwriting flaws VXI has.

That's me, if you switch "good" with "lackluster", and "1982 - 88" with "1980-92 being extremely generous with No Prayer"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4504 on: May 19, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »

I've got your back. Brave New World is the best of the reunion albums. I saw the AMOLAD tour and it was fairly disappointing. Probably the best seats I have ever had for a Maiden show and they play the whole album and like 2 or 3 encore songs which are the ones they always play. Sheesh.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #4505 on: May 19, 2020, 01:34:20 PM »

Maiden's repetition goes back to the 80s, but I really didn't notice it until AMOLAD, personally.

I mean, I can't argue with what your personal experience was, but AMOLAD is objectively less repetitive than BNW, having only three songs that repeat the same line over and over, vs. five on BNW.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4506 on: May 19, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »

I've got your back. Brave New World is the best of the reunion albums. I saw the AMOLAD tour and it was fairly disappointing. Probably the best seats I have ever had for a Maiden show and they play the whole album and like 2 or 3 encore songs which are the ones they always play. Sheesh.

To me, that's a sign... of something.  IM have never performed an album live like that or even every song from an album live (besides the first two I think) I think IM themselves think that may be one of their best albums, but I do believe the general IM fanbase does not agree wtih that as I witnessed many people very upset when IM played the whole album live. 

For some reason, I feel The Book of Souls got a much better overall response from the general fanbase than AMOLAD did or does.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4507 on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »

I mean, I can't argue with what your personal experience was, but AMOLAD is objectively less repetitive than BNW, having only three songs that repeat the same line over and over, vs. five on BNW.

I'm being slightly hyperbolic in my assessment of Maiden and AMOLAD; but I mock AMOLAD's repetition because, again, I think BNW is a far superior record. A good record (or song, or hook, whatever it is) can justify excessive repetition; repetition itself is what helps make music memorable. Doesn't always work though. Gates of Tomorrow is a perfect example imo

@PP:  :tup :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #4508 on: May 19, 2020, 01:40:20 PM »
I'm being slightly hyperbolic in my assessment of Maiden and AMOLAD; but I mock AMOLAD's repetition because, again, I think BNW is a far superior record. A good record (or song, or hook, whatever it is) can justify excessive repetition; repetition itself is what helps make music memorable. Doesn't always work though. Gates of Tomorrow is a perfect example imo

I mean, I get it to an extent, but it seems sort of like talking about the mote in the eye of one album when there's a beam in the eye of the one you're praising over it.

Re: The AMOLAD tour, I *think* that the AMOLAD setlist was far better received outside of the US than within. Notice that on the TFF tour, they had a completely different setlist for the US where they cut out a lot of the new material. At least in the band's eyes, the reunion era has been received far more negatively in the US than it has elsewhere.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4509 on: May 19, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »

I mean, I get it to an extent, but it seems sort of like talking about the mote in the eye of one album when there's a beam in the eye of the one you're praising over it.

With all due respect, I don't understand what that means. I think my explanation makes perfect sense; it's all subjective, I find the music on BNW far better than AMOLAD, and therefore the repetition of the melodies and hooks on BNW works for me much better.

I'd put The Book of Souls as my #2 reunion era record if the production was better. Lord, that album sounds like ass (but the music sounds good, if you catch my drift).

Offline 425

« Reply #4510 on: May 19, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
It's a proverb, meaning it's not wise to criticize a small flaw in one thing while (in this case) praising something else that has a far worse version of the same flaw.

To be clear, I have no problem with you preferring BNW over AMOLAD, but it just seems weird to make that specific point of comparison.

Anyway, I think I now understand that your position is that repetition like that is not a flaw as such, only a flaw when the repeated melody is not good? I would disagree with that, and would rate the repetition as a flaw even when it's a repeated part that I really like, such as the second chorus to For the Greater Good of God. But if I've gotten your view right this time, I understand.

Re: Book of Souls and production, honestly, I don't like the production on any of the reunion albums. BNW is fine, I suppose, but the other four are rather poorly done. Ideally, Steve would back off production, bring in someone other than Shirley, and let a studio album actually sound good for the first time since 1992, but I doubt will ever happen.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4511 on: May 19, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »
It's a proverb, meaning it's not wise to criticize a small flaw in one thing while (in this case) praising something else that has a far worse version of the same flaw.

To be clear, I have no problem with you preferring BNW over AMOLAD, but it just seems weird to make that specific point of comparison.

Anyway, I think I now understand that your position is that repetition like that is not a flaw as such, only a flaw when the repeated melody is not good? I would disagree with that, and would rate the repetition as a flaw even when it's a repeated part that I really like, such as the second chorus to For the Greater Good of God. But if I've gotten your view right this time, I understand.

But there's the rub. I don't think it's a 'small flaw.' It is important to me. Some people don't like pop music because it's very repetitive, but I think it is a strength of that style of music which is why I enjoy so much pop music, I enjoy good musical ideas getting due repetition. There's also a reason I don't listen to Gates of Tomorrow, or Sun and Steel, or Brighter Than A Thousand Suns. Excessive repetition of a melody I find annoying is not a small flaw to me. It's a huge factor in me not enjoying something. How is that weird? It's no weirder than criticizing the production of Book of Souls, or the snare on St. Anger, or how weird Bruce sounds on The X factor  ;) ;)

I never said repetition is a flaw in itself. Repetition is part of what attracts humans to music. I said repetition of a musical idea I don't like factors into me not liking a song, but if it's a musical idea I enjoy, then I am going to want to hear it more often. Repetition is not inherently good or bad, it is merely one more element of music that a musician chooses to use however they wish.

Offline 425

« Reply #4512 on: May 19, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
Right, so as I said last post, I think I misunderstood you at first as saying "it is bad because it is too repetitive" instead of "it is bad because it repeats something I don't like."

Because that's different from my perspective. I think that every one of those songs, from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son to Fear of the Dark to The Wicker Man to For the Greater Good of God would be improved by cutting the repetitions in half. And I think the repeated part in each of those songs is good (unlike Gates of Tomorrow).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4513 on: May 19, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »
Yeah, that's it. And I agree, there is a lot of trimming that could be done to a great number of Maiden songs. There's definitely a tendency to repeat ideas a bit too often for their own good. I think that's a problem with Empire of the Clouds too, honestly. Several minutes of that could be cut because it's just recycling the same musical lines. Shame because it's a brilliant song otherwise imo.

Offline 425

« Reply #4514 on: May 19, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
I agree regarding Empire of the Clouds. I'm really glad they decided to go for a long epic like that, but I think it was only a partial success in part for that reason.
And if spirit's a sign,