Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573539 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4411 on: May 06, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Raphael doing Virus
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4412 on: May 06, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »
Raphael is awesome  :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4413 on: May 07, 2020, 06:31:12 AM »
That cover of Virus is amazing!   I'm glad that Blaze still plays the song at least.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4414 on: May 07, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »
From their facebook page

Legacy of the Beast Touring Update 2020/21

I hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and well, wherever you may be, and my continued thanks to you all for bearing with us so patiently.

Due to the continuing health issues Worldwide around Covid-19 we regretfully inform you that Iron Maiden will now not be playing any concerts until June 2021.

However, we are now in a position to give you details of our touring plans in respect to those shows we had hoped to play this year.

Firstly, we are very pleased to tell you that we’ve managed to reschedule all our European own-shows on the Legacy Of The Beast tour for June/July 2021 with the exception of Moscow, St Petersburg, Weert and Zurich which unfortunately we have been unable to re-arrange in this period.

To consolidate the tour routing, as you can see, we have added 2 further shows in Arnhem and Antwerp.

We are in the process of inviting back all the Special Guests and supports who were due to play with us this year. Where any band is unable to commit to this due to their own rescheduling situations, we will look at finding other suitable acts of equivalent stature. The majority are already confirmed and can be found on the tour page at IronMaiden.com.

Re-arranging the headline Festival dates has unfortunately not been possible. This is mainly because we already had an extremely busy year lined up for 2021 and, as I’m sure you can imagine, a great deal of forward planning has already gone on and there’s only so much we can do within the timeline and logistics already in place. The band enjoy playing at Festivals so please be assured we will get back to as many of these as we can at another time.

In respect of what should have been the opening leg of the 2020 tour starting on May 1 in Perth, Australia and visiting New Zealand, the Philippines, Japan, Dubai and Israel, we are currently working on a possible return to as many of these countries as we can, in some guise, in the first half of 2022, more news on that will follow at the appropriate time.

The band are all fine and send you guys their best wishes, they are very much looking forward to getting back on stage next year and seeing you all so, please, continue to take care of yourselves and stay SMART.

Rod

The 2021 schedule is:

JUNE 2021
Fri 11 - POL, Warsaw PGE Narodowy
Sun 13 - GER, Bremen Bürgerweide
Tue 15 - CZE, Prague Sinobo Stadium
Wed 16 - AUT, Wiener Neustadt Stadium Open Air
Sat 19 - SPA, Barcelona Olympic Stadium
Mon 21 - POR, Lisbon Estadio Nacional
Thu 24 - ITA, Bologna Sonic Park
Sat 26 - GER, Stuttgart Mercedes-Benz Arena
Sun 27 - BEL, Antwerps Sportpaleis
Wed 30 - GER, Berlin Waldbühne

JULY 2021
Sat 3 - SWE, Gothenburg Ullevi Stadium
Thu 8 - GER, Cologne Rhein-Energie-Stadium
Sat 10 - HOL, Arnhem GelreDome
Sun 11 - FRA, Paris La Defense Arena, Paris

I won't lie, I was hoping they'd scrap the last leg of Legacy of the Beast and move on, now it seems we won't get the new tour until 2022... so far away

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4415 on: May 07, 2020, 09:02:21 AM »
File this under the "We were only waiting for the official announcement" category.

I agree too that they should have found room for some OZ dates and then retire the LoTB tour - Europe and America already have seen it. They're gonna waste one year for a greatest hits tour that the vast majority of their fans have already seen.

I know they're stuck between a rock and a hard place and probably they had contracts as well - I don't know if promoters paid for an "Iron Maiden concert" or an "Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast full production with pyros, planes and cathedrals", and so Maiden are obliged to play what they agreed to play.

I'll cut them some slack because they're trying to make the best of an impossible situation, but count me into the "Oh just release the new album - which is probably ready anyway - already" camp.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4416 on: May 07, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
Yea, I'm sure there's lots of business decisions about doing that tour still, but as a fan of the band and being selfish for having seen the tour... I want the band to move on. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4417 on: May 07, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
I've been mooting a trip to Slovakia/Poland/Czech Republic (a sort of "Ancestry" tour, so to speak) and it's looking like June might be a good time to do that.  Maiden is NUMBER ONE of bands I'd love to see in Europe at this point (it used to be Genesis). 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4418 on: May 08, 2020, 05:06:59 AM »
Would this postpone the new album?

Annoying that they didn't reschedule the Australian dates.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4419 on: May 10, 2020, 01:29:45 AM »
You know there were those sightings of the band in Paris and whatnot a while back. Was this ever confirmed as a new album? Is there one?

Yeah, I'm in the "release some new stuff camp". I'm in the do anything camp at this point. Some remote acoustic thing? It's been a long time since TBOS. I know touring is getting physically in front of people but the recorded work touches all the fans.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4420 on: May 10, 2020, 02:37:03 AM »
You know there were those sightings of the band in Paris and whatnot a while back. Was this ever confirmed as a new album? Is there one?

There was that, and those sightings were happening by the time Kevin Shirley, their producer, was posting online about working on a "not-so-secret project", and last year Bruce was hinting that new music was coming.

Knowing their habits, it was only obvious that this year would have been the last leg of the Legacy of the Beast tour, and that 2021 would have been dedicated to a new album.

There's not a definitive and conclusive proof that the album is actually recorded in some shape or form, or ready for release in a month or two if only they wanted to, but something was definitively brewing in the new album department.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4421 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:23 AM »
Thanks, man.

If they did record a new record in 2019 and may theoretically have released it late this year after LOtB dates, pushing everything back a year due to covid would push it to late 2021 and that would mean sitting on an album for two years. Seems a bit long. Let's hope they think so too and give us all a massive surprise.  ;D We'll see.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4422 on: May 10, 2020, 04:47:59 PM »
Thanks, man.

If they did record a new record in 2019 and may theoretically have released it late this year after LOtB dates, pushing everything back a year due to covid would push it to late 2021 and that would mean sitting on an album for two years. Seems a bit long. Let's hope they think so too and give us all a massive surprise.  ;D We'll see.

Yea, a very long time to sit on an album.  I've not been a big fan of their plans once all those rumors were circling.  Like just do what every band does, finish your tour and relase the album and move on.  Not do the same tour again for a 3rd year.... but now it's just dragging.  Legacy of the Beast may have been thier biggest production yet, and I know those fans in countries that hadn't gotten the tour do deserve their chance to see it, but the rest of the world is waiting while the band ages.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4423 on: May 11, 2020, 12:09:56 PM »
And now, something different and romantic: Violin(s) cover of Wasting Love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PujAdOtA6pk

Offline emtee

« Reply #4424 on: May 13, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
Question for the Maiden fans. From their entire discography, which single album (1 only) do you think has aged the best?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4425 on: May 13, 2020, 10:24:59 AM »
Question for the Maiden fans. From their entire discography, which single album (1 only) do you think has aged the best?

I did a double-take when I realized Brave New World is going to be 20 years old this month. That album has aged masterfully IMO. The early ones from the 80s too are gems and still hold quite well, in particular Piece of Mind.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 425

« Reply #4426 on: May 13, 2020, 10:32:42 AM »
I think the obvious answer here (assuming I understand the question correctly) is The X Factor. That was not a popular album when it came out, and I imagine at the time many people perceived it as a blip on the band's fade into obscurity. The two albums before it were a clear step down from the 80s material, Bruce was gone, Adrian had been gone, the production was flat and the new singer was a bit of an odd fit.

But I think when you look back at The X Factor 25 years on, I think it's the album you have to point out as the beginning of the prog Iron Maiden of the reunion era, and when you listen to it without worrying that you'll never hear the band with Bruce and Adrian again, or that all their future music will forever be this dark and depressing, there is actually a ton of great material on there.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4427 on: May 13, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »

Tie between Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast for me; gun to head I'm giving it to Number. Still sounds amazing, doesn't sound dated, has some of Maiden's (and metal's) most legendary songs. Contrary to 425's surprising pick, I don't think the Blaze albums have aged well at all.

Brave New World is a contender as well, I think that's my favorite Maiden record of the last 20 years and it still sounds wonderful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4428 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
Powerslave.   Not saying it's the best (though top two) or my favorite (that's Killers), but you place it anywhere in the catalogue and it fits, in my opinion. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4429 on: May 13, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »
^^ My man. Killers is easily one of Maiden's best albums imo :hifive:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline 425

« Reply #4430 on: May 13, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
I'm part of that minority that doesn't get the Killers fascination at all. Outside of a few songs (Murders, Wrathchild, title track), it kind of just feels like outtakes from the debut. I'd only put it ahead of Fear of the Dark, probably.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4431 on: May 13, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »
I'm part of that minority that doesn't get the Killers fascination at all.

Me too.

The album I think that has aged the best might be the debut!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4432 on: May 13, 2020, 11:58:05 AM »
Sometimes I'll put on Killers just to listen to Genghis Khan. It's got to be one of my favorite tunes from Maiden.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4433 on: May 13, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
Killers is amazing, and Prodigal Son makes my Top 10 IM songs.

Not sure I'm understanding what "aging well" refers to. Songwriting? Production?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4434 on: May 13, 2020, 12:01:13 PM »
I'm part of that minority that doesn't get the Killers fascination at all. Outside of a few songs (Murders, Wrathchild, title track), it kind of just feels like outtakes from the debut. I'd only put it ahead of Fear of the Dark, probably.

I don't say this to be snarky, but to explain that fascination; while I like the sound of the first album in a "it's a first album" sort of way (same as the first Twisted Sister and Motley Crue albums) I always view the FIRST album as the demos for the KILLERS.  I think the elements of the first album were honed and brought to maturity on the second.   There's nothing as epic as "Phantom Of The Opera", but everything else is there.  And "Another Life" is a standout (that was written around the time of the material on the first album, and was played live before Killers was recorded, if memory serves.)

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4435 on: May 13, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »
Killers is amazing, and Prodigal Son makes my Top 10 IM songs.

That's the one about the Lamia right? Always wondered if the Genesis influence was showing there or if that was just happenstance.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4436 on: May 13, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
Their 80's albums are awsome for sure, and I still listen to them regularly, but my favorite Maiden album is Brave New World.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4437 on: May 13, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »
It's lovely hearing some extra love for the debut and Killers. I always had a thing for the early punky Maiden. The same goes for Metallica and Kill 'Em All.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4438 on: May 13, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
^^^  :tup

Also wanted to mention regarding Killers is DiAnno's vocal approach really comes to fruition on this record. He's screaming/yelling/singing all at the same time! I don't even know why it works, as I would guess that "technically" some of the stuff he's doing is off/wrong. But it sounds awesome! The "operatic" approach Dickenson would use seems much more commonplace in comparison.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4439 on: May 13, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
Speaking of 80’s Maiden, the band also did awesome covers and, the majority of them, much close to the original versions. Today I listened to That Girl and realised I never heard FM’s original version. Holy s..., Maiden totally rearranged the song, in a great way!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4440 on: May 13, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
I don't say this to be snarky, but to explain that fascination; while I like the sound of the first album in a "it's a first album" sort of way (same as the first Twisted Sister and Motley Crue albums) I always view the FIRST album as the demos for the KILLERS.  I think the elements of the first album were honed and brought to maturity on the second.   

Interesting analysis, I now want to listen to it with this in mind. I don't agree with it, but maybe I will feel differently after a fresh listen. Though it won't change my ranking Killers well below the debut.   
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4441 on: May 13, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
Not sure I'm understanding what "aging well" refers to. Songwriting? Production?

Yeah, I find it hard to answer because I find all Maiden albums having a top notch production, or at the very least a specific one which is not tied to the time the album was made. Ok, No Prayer and X Factor are a disaster sound wise but more generally, go listen to the Judas Priest albums of the '80s... it's painfully obvious they're from that decade. I never, ever got that "yeah ok, it's good but listen how evident it is that this album was made in 198x" sensation listening to Piece of Mind, Powerslave or Seventh Son. Even Wasted Years, in an album with synths, sound timeless.

I'd say that all Maiden albums have aged well in that regard.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4442 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
Well the production of Somewhere in Time hurts my ears. But the songs are great.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4443 on: May 13, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
Prodigal Son is an all-time great Maiden tune imo. :2metal:

Offline Bentower

« Reply #4444 on: May 13, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
Martin Birch's natural-sounding production on the '80's albums is very close to a gold standard as far as traditional heavy metal is concerned. I reckon Powerslave is the most timeless in that regard.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.