Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557507 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4235 on: November 07, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
Never saw Maiden in my life and generally not a fan of stadium shows at all (too crowded and too expensive), but I'm really considering going to see them at least once.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4236 on: November 07, 2019, 09:20:05 AM »
Never saw Maiden in my life and generally not a fan of stadium shows at all (too crowded and too expensive), but I'm really considering going to see them at least once.

If you see Iron Maiden once, this is the show to see. Period. It's a perfect and magnificent example of what Iron Maiden is all about without either being a new album tour, or a '80s hits galore. Go and see it. You won't regret it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4237 on: November 07, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Went to a Maiden gig in the summer once. Was extremely hot and uncomf, the sound was unimpressive because of the open air factor, Ghost was opening (don't care for them). Still had a blast. If there's one band worth seeing in the pits of hell, it's Maiden.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4238 on: November 07, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »

You should go, even if its a hassle, I think you'll find it worth it in the end.

Also, Disturbed opening on that one date would be an awesome show.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4239 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
Heck, even Alter Bridge found themselves opening for Maiden in Gothenburg and Holland.  I would consider flying to Holland for this, but I've already seen both bands at their own shows this year and both shows were the highest of top tiers of shows I've seen this year, so I need another incentive if I'm going to invest $2,000+ to fly and stay in Europe (like a different setlist from either bands or another Alter Bridge headlining show nearby).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4240 on: November 07, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
Also Within Temptation are opening on some dates, Avatar opening for one.... damn and we got The Raven Age in the US  >:( even Airbourne would be sick (I hardly know them, but I know enough that they would be a better opener).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4241 on: November 07, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
Also Within Temptation are opening on some dates, Avatar opening for one.... damn and we got The Raven Age in the US  >:( even Airbourne would be sick (I hardly know them, but I know enough that they would be a better opener).

I had Fozzy in addition for the show in LA and they actually put a better set than I anticipated, including a cover of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.  Sadly, the opening bands did not (or could not?) use the big video screens to the sides of the stadium, so we had no close up shots of them from the nosebleeds which could have helped with the crowd reaction (maybe not, but every little bit could have helped them).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4242 on: November 07, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
Yea, LA was the one show with Fozzy which would have been cool if they were the opener for the whole tour. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4243 on: November 07, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »

If you see Iron Maiden once, this is the show to see. Period. It's a perfect and magnificent example of what Iron Maiden is all about without either being a new album tour, or a '80s hits galore. Go and see it. You won't regret it.

Yeah, I second that.  This is one of those shows that's less about the album (there is none) or any specific song, it's just a cool package, a two-hour master class in how you do a high-level rock show.   I get that if you've seen them 10 times you might say "well, cool your jets, junior, it's not THAT radically different"; but it just seems like we're seeing a band where everything is in perfect synch, and if you're going to see a band for the first time, it might as well be when they're at the top of their game (unlike when I finally got to see the Ozzy-fronted Sabbath, where it was great, but clearly they were on their last lap, or when I took my daughter to her first Kiss show and Paul was clearly struggling to hit the right notes). 

I've made it a point to try to get to the opening acts on the shows I see now (because I was looking back and realized I "saw" Radiohead, Garbage, and a couple other reasonably good size bands as openers and can't remember actually seeing a note of any of them) and even then, with Maiden, I could care less.  It's about that full two hours, no piss break, no beer break. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4244 on: November 07, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
As someone who has seen them over 10 times, I don't agree with that statement.  Even after so many times, this tour was something special in terms of that overall package. 

Just scan this thread and you won't find a single person who regretted catching this tour.

Having said that, I've never seen them in a stadium (just arenas).  Stadium shows kind of suck some of the life out when you are so far and there's so many people, but if that's your opportunity to see this, you should jump on it. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4245 on: November 07, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »
As someone who has seen them over 10 times, I don't agree with that statement.  Even after so many times, this tour was something special in terms of that overall package. 

Just scan this thread and you won't find a single person who regretted catching this tour.

Having said that, I've never seen them in a stadium (just arenas).  Stadium shows kind of suck some of the life out when you are so far and there's so many people, but if that's your opportunity to see this, you should jump on it.
I get your point, and I don't disagree with it, but they also add a different sort of life. There's a really big difference between seeing a show with 18k people and one with 55k. There's a similar energy to club shows, despite the size, that seems absent in arenas. There's also an unusual aspect to them. A sort of uniqueness. We see arena gigs all the time. Hell, you see dozens a year. Stadium shows are a completely different sort of show, for better or for worse. Myself, I've never seen Maiden in a stadium, and that's a big part of the appeal of this tour to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4246 on: November 07, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »
I, too, have never seen a concert in a stadium, and I'd love to debut with Iron Maiden. The problem is that for whatever reason they never seem to give a stadium - at least the one of Milan - to metal acts. Maiden or Metallica never played that stadium. More than anything, if I catch them next year I want to sit - last year I saw them in a flat open air arena and I didn't see anything, since I'm of average height so everyone is tall as me, or taller than me. This time I'd like to sit and SEE.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4247 on: November 07, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »

Well, I don't agree with it either - haha! - but I'm just saying I could SEE someone saying that.  I've seen them in almost all their incarnations (I missed the Blaze years, unfortunately), and I agree, there was something special about this show.  I've rarely felt the energy in the building that I felt during that performance of "Number of the Beast".  That was insane. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4248 on: November 07, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »
I, too, have never seen a concert in a stadium, and I'd love to debut with Iron Maiden. The problem is that for whatever reason they never seem to give a stadium - at least the one of Milan - to metal acts. Maiden or Metallica never played that stadium. More than anything, if I catch them next year I want to sit - last year I saw them in a flat open air arena and I didn't see anything, since I'm of average height so everyone is tall as me, or taller than me. This time I'd like to sit and SEE.
I see your concern, but seated at a stadium show is a bummer. It's exactly the problem Cram was getting at. Stadium gigs are notoriously bad concerts, the sound is bad and you're too far to see, but they're great spectacles and for that you really have to be part of it.  If I were only going to see one show per tour it would absolutely be an arena gig. I've seen them twice on this tour, and if I were to see them a third time it would absolutely be a stadium show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4249 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
Yea, I like the idea of seeing it in different settings.  A big reason why I went the third time in CT last summer was for the outdoor amphitheater setting which I enjoy compared to the two arena gigs I had previously saw.  If I go to a stadium show, I'd rather be close on the floor or a close seat with a great view.

I only saw one stadium show, Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold.  I lucked out and a buddy of mine hooked me up with suite tickets.  Had a nice view but even then, it felt far away and even though packed, still felt empty in a way, as in the crowd in the seats is not quite as engaged as I would personally like.  I want to get into it and stadiums kind of make it difficult.  But if done right, you do get a great show.  That Metallica show was awesome and a great spectacle, but I think their arena gig I saw after was a bit more my style.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4250 on: November 07, 2019, 01:38:04 PM »
Might have to check this tour.  Dunno if they'll ever get back to Australia again and the setlist is great.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4251 on: November 07, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
Might have to check this tour.  Dunno if they'll ever get back to Australia again and the setlist is great.

Kade, you have to see this show. It's stunning really.

You too Ruslan. Do not pass this up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4252 on: November 08, 2019, 04:16:39 AM »
I think songs like SOTC, TC, FTGGOG makes this too good to pass up.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4253 on: November 08, 2019, 06:33:34 AM »

I told myself I was going to see the show just because of SOTC and it did not let me down; it wasn't the highlight of the show, but that's not because it wasn't good, it's because the show was just so solid it didn't really have a "highlight" per se.    I've been indifferent to AMOLAD over the years, but Bruce just elevated this song to something special.  I even liked Janick here; he peeled off a solo - standing on Bruce's monitors - that was eye-opening.  I've since gone back and revisited that record, and it's better than I remember (if not still a full meal in it's entirety). 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4254 on: November 08, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »
Alright, alright, I get it guys.

Tickets for Russian shows will go on sale on November 12th. Coincidentally, that's the day I receive my paycheck.

I think it's decided then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4255 on: November 08, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
I think Stads sold me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4256 on: November 08, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »

I told myself I was going to see the show just because of SOTC and it did not let me down; it wasn't the highlight of the show, but that's not because it wasn't good, it's because the show was just so solid it didn't really have a "highlight" per se.    I've been indifferent to AMOLAD over the years, but Bruce just elevated this song to something special.  I even liked Janick here; he peeled off a solo - standing on Bruce's monitors - that was eye-opening.  I've since gone back and revisited that record, and it's better than I remember (if not still a full meal in it's entirety).

Agreed about there not being a "highlight" from this show because it was just a constant highlight.  Typically they had one centerpiece song in the set, usually the longer song like Rime, that had the big stage production and an epic feel to the performance.  This show had A LOT of those moments starting off the gate with the plane for Aces High.  I still think SOTC was the ultimate highlight of them all, but really could say any song in the set was the highlight of the night.  Even TNotB felt bigger and better than ever before and I've grown so sick of it live over the years. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4257 on: November 08, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
They even had BETWEEN SONG highlights.  I don't want to give too much away, but there's a transition about five, six songs in that is breathtaking.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4258 on: November 08, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »
They even had BETWEEN SONG highlights.  I don't want to give too much away, but there's a transition about five, six songs in that is breathtaking.
I really liked the thematic aspect of the show.  The first two thirds were somewhat theme specific, culminating with SotC. That was a great idea, and quite different from Maiden's typical greatest hits setlists.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4259 on: November 08, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
The Stained Glass motif was probably the most amazing stage I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4260 on: November 08, 2019, 01:04:38 PM »

Yea, I loved the religion themed part of the show, especially the show when I was up close.  You really felt like you were in a church of Maiden.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4261 on: November 08, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »

Yea, I loved the religion themed part of the show, especially the show when I was up close.  You really felt like you were in a church of Maiden.

Nice!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4262 on: November 14, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »
1 ticket secured for Gothenburg 2020. I actually forgot the ticketsale started this morning, luckily for me there were still standing tickets left a couple of hours after salestart.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4263 on: November 14, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
Also just bought my ticket, about $120 with service fees which is a lot for a metal show in our country. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4264 on: November 14, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
Also just bought my ticket, about $120 with service fees which is a lot for a metal show in our country. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

It will be  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4265 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »
1 ticket secured for Gothenburg 2020. I actually forgot the ticketsale started this morning, luckily for me there were still standing tickets left a couple of hours after salestart.  :)

:metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4266 on: November 20, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
British Lion are playing a 500 capacity venue in NYC in the winter.  Are they a band I should check out?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4267 on: November 20, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »
British Lion are playing a 500 capacity venue in NYC in the winter.  Are they a band I should check out?

hell yeah! It's Steve Harris. Are there tour dates?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4268 on: November 20, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »

hell yeah! It's Steve Harris. Are there tour dates?

Well, that's the only reason I can think of and it's not a bad one plus a small venue

Here's the list of dates:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4269 on: November 20, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
Damn, nothing up here.