Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572249 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3990 on: July 29, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
So I'm in a tough spot...Iron Maiden or Monuments/Skyharbor.

I've seen IM about 5-6 times and saw them last time around. Haven't seen Monuments but I've seen Skyharbor once. I absolutely love Skyharbor. I did see IM last time around so there's that...Decisions decisions....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3991 on: July 29, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »
Iron Maiden. One of the best shows ever by the best band ever. They're not getting any younger, enjoy them while it lasts.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3992 on: July 29, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
Kind of a no brainer for me...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3993 on: July 29, 2019, 03:33:49 PM »
@cram - that's an awesome offer, thank you. Unfortunately other than PP last year and a trip to Boston as a tiny hooman, I've never been east of Ohio. So I don't know if I'll ever be in the area.  :lol  :|
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3994 on: July 29, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »
You've been to Boston? Make sure you let me know the next time you're out here.

So I can warn everybody! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3995 on: July 29, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
 :lol When I was like 2. Apparently I almost walked off a pier into the ocean and unrolled all the toilet paper on the plane there.  I stirred up s&*% even as a baby. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3996 on: July 29, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »
 :lol :facepalm:

I totally believe that! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3997 on: July 29, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »
 :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3998 on: August 01, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
I wonder how interesting of a read Adrian Smith's autobiography be?  I think I wouldn't mind reading some passages during the time he wasn't in Iron Maiden.  I'm sure the rest as long it's decently written will be solid.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-adrian-smith-autobiography/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3999 on: August 02, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Holy shit, Cram, that's an amazing overview.   Since I'm really, REALLY jazzed for one particular part of the show, and you say that's it's actually a highlight (I want to hear Bruce sing "Sign of The Cross") I can't wait for tomorrow.  I feel like a kid again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4000 on: August 02, 2019, 07:36:01 AM »
That's the centerpiece of the set and it's sooooo good.  It's a big reason why I am trying to get my fat ass to Connecticut tomorrow

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4001 on: August 02, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
What a show last night. That stage is amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4002 on: August 02, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »
What a show last night. That stage is amazing.

No shit!

I’ll post later when I’m on my laptop but that was an amazing concert. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4003 on: August 02, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
Kept refreshing live nation and finally one seat ticket popped up for tomorrow's show in Hartford.  This show is just too good and I was looking for something to do tomorrow, now I'm all booked for Connecticut for round #3  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4004 on: August 02, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
So if anyone (looking at you Bosky) is on the fence about seeing this tour...DO IT!

This was my 15th Maiden show over 13 tours spanning 36 years. This was without a doubt the best stage production and performance I have ever seen. Honestly, I felt like I was at an Alice Cooper concert with all of the stage props and sets.
What is amazing about Iron Maiden is that there is no such thing as resting on their laurels. The continue to find ways to push the envelope and enhance the performance.

First off...the setlist. The only other setlist IMO to come close to this was the Ed Hunter tour in 1999. This was an amazing collection of songs. My only complaint was that it only included two Reunion Era songs. For The Greater Good Of God is my #1 or #2 Reunion Era track. I missed the AMOLAD tour (we were in Disney when they played in Boston), and this song literally gave me goosebumps.
And even though I'm not a fan of The Wicker Man, it went over really well live. Lots of crowd involvement.

And Sign Of The Cross has to be seen to be believed.

Bruce Dickinson is getting better. Not sure how that is possible. This was some of the best "singing" I've ever witnessed him doing. He was in constant motion, with multiple wardrobe and prop changes. The lantern during Fear Of The Dark. The jail cell and noose during Hallowed. the torch and Icarus during Flight. The drop down candled chandeliers, the light up cross. Never mind a fucking plane hanging from the ceiling! Incredible.
And the stained glass motif and backdrop is the single coolest stage I have EVER seen. EVER.

It's incredible how much Iron Maiden continue to work at their craft. Whether it be technical playing, stage performance, or visual interpretations, Iron Maiden is getting better with every tour. I mean, they had the best stage in the fucking 1980's!

I might have had the worst seats I have ever had for an Iron Maiden show. That's a story in itself.. But that didn't get in the way of my enjoyment. I have about 6 or 7 top Maiden shows, and this is definitely one of them. The whole experience was really breathtaking.

Oh, Nicko at 67 is amazing. This was a demanding setlist and he was right on point. And in defense of Jannick. He is a true showman, but his playing was also right on point. He played some great passages, and with all of the jumping around, he was in total synch with Dave and Adrian.

Anyway, I did take a million pics, even though they aren't that great.

I did manage a meetup with my good friend Kingshmegland. Always a pleasure to talk to him in person, as I know many of you already know.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4005 on: August 02, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »
Awesome Tim, I totally agree, they just keep pushing it and I don't know how they do it.  Nice to see TAC and the King  :yarr

Everything you said is why I am going to take a road trip to see them again tomorrow.  That show and experience is other worldly. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4006 on: August 02, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »
Yeah, I envy you. Road trips like that for me don't really work at this point. :lol

I have to say, that I really like Bruce's look. Looking cool with long hair again.
I mean, he strained a couple of times reaching for some outrageous notes, but I appreciate him/them because he doesn't take the easy way out. I found his singing during the softer parts of things like FTGGOG and HBTN really impressive and moving. I honestly don't ever remember feeling that way before.

Marc, your next Maiden road trip should be to Massachusetts!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:10:30 PM by TAC »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4007 on: August 02, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
Maybe next time! I definitely didn't expect to go to Hartford to see Maiden, funny how this just actually works out for me.  But I love going to see concerts in Boston and would hope to see one again next year.  I do agree with Bruce's softer parts, I felt like that's when he sung the best honestly.  He looks like he aged quite a bit since last time, not that he looks bad at all, but it's noticeable and might be because of the long hair.  He pulls it off though, somehow, this band just keeps impressing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4008 on: August 02, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
I have two Hartford road trips under my belt. Both in 1989 (Holy shit 30 years ago!  :facepalm:)

Saw Metallica (Queensryche opened) at the Hartford Civic Center and Paul Stanley's solo tour (Warrant opened) at the West Hartford Ballroom.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4009 on: August 02, 2019, 08:27:52 PM »
Tim, Marc, I'd love a meetup.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4010 on: August 02, 2019, 08:28:45 PM »
That's awesome, the openers and headliners for those.  I have one Hartford trip under my belt, a few years ago for Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and Delain at Webster Theater.  Such an amazing show, even got a selfie with Charlotte from Delain after  :metal  Someone commented on my video of Ghost Love Score about being engaged during that song  :lol  although the best part is at 8:55 when shit goes for the high note and clearly struggles but physically kind of shakes it off and pulls it off #floorgasm  :metal

Tim, Marc, I'd love a meetup.

It will happen, we just got to dig Tim out of the shopping carts

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4011 on: August 02, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
No we wouldn't.  He doesn't know what a corral is.

He'd be next to his car  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4012 on: August 02, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »
Damn I am skipping them this tour, other shows this year getting my time and dollars, but this is making me rethink that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4013 on: August 02, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
Chris, it was that good.  If you have a chance, see this show.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4014 on: August 02, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
Damn it is the second day of school - my wife is a teacher, and her first couple weeks are murder. This is going to be a tough sell.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4015 on: August 02, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4016 on: August 03, 2019, 06:55:27 AM »
I'll be singing the single version of The Wicker Man.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4017 on: August 03, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
Damn I am skipping them this tour, other shows this year getting my time and dollars, but this is making me rethink that.

There should be no other show getting your time and dollars.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4018 on: August 03, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
Are you going to Queensryche at Clearwater?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4019 on: August 03, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
No I am not a big enough QR fan.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4020 on: August 03, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
No I am not a big enough QR fan.
I really like QR's new album.  I will probably go since it's a easy trip for me.  Iron Maiden is just two days before, which I very much want to attend!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4021 on: August 03, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
Made it to Hartford, lady checking me in at the hotel (2 miles from venue) "are you here for Iron maiden?" YUP "so is everyone else"  :metal :metal :metal

Offline greyghost

« Reply #4022 on: August 04, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Hartford last night!  Holy Shit! That was the best show I've ever seen by ANYONE! Any of you who are on the fence about this tour, just do it! As an earlier poster said, the best show ever by the greatest live act ever!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4023 on: August 04, 2019, 03:03:50 PM »
Capital Chaos TV has uploaded a four-camera video edit of the mighty
@IronMaiden
 performing the song "Aces High" on July 26 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Watch it below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE9SqDX3ZOg&feature=youtu.be

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4024 on: August 04, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »
That was the real f*****g deal, last night.  Holy crap.  Great set, great setlist, great performance, great stage...  not much more to say than that (though the version of "The Number Of The Beast" may be the greatest Iron Maiden "moment" I've ever experienced.  The energy was just immeasurable.

Everything TAC said was spot on (except maybe the Jannick thing; I was on Dave's side, and it looked to me like Dave took about 60% of the solos, with the rest split between the other two; I looked over to the other side three times and saw Jannick literally not playing a note but swinging his guitar cable like he was fly fishing).  But holy cow, Bruce Dickinson is, if it's at all possible, BETTER now than he was 10 years ago.   That guy is incredible. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:18:58 PM by Stadler »