Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573230 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3920 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
Man, I am REALLY tempted to go see them.  I still have never done so.  But it also really is not in the budget.  Hmm...

Your opportunities are getting less and less, I don't expect a few of these songs to ever get played again.  Or you could just fly to NYC next weekend and Ill give you my extra ticket.

:omg:  That is actually a REALLY tempting offer.  Man, I wish I could!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3921 on: July 19, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »
Man, I am REALLY tempted to go see them.  I still have never done so.  But it also really is not in the budget.  Hmm...

Your opportunities are getting less and less, I don't expect a few of these songs to ever get played again.  Or you could just fly to NYC next weekend and Ill give you my extra ticket.

:omg:  That is actually a REALLY tempting offer.  Man, I wish I could!
Eh, how do you know your kids even want to go to college.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3922 on: July 19, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
:lol  Although "go to college" is my default for them, I'm also open to them going to trade school or no post-HS school at all if that is the best path for whatever careers they choose/fall into. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3923 on: July 19, 2019, 09:26:47 AM »
No song dropped for Wrathwchild  :metal

:rollin

That literally cracked me up! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3924 on: July 19, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
Super excited for the show next Saturday in Brooklyn (and the many beers that will come beforehand) :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3925 on: July 19, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
Super excited for the show next Saturday in Brooklyn (and the many beers that will come beforehand) :metal

You are going now?

Offline max_security

« Reply #3926 on: July 19, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »
My work gave me two tickets for Wednesday 7-24 and the day off 7-25 , been so busy I haven't gotten stoked for this. Think I'll start NOW , lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3928 on: July 19, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
Sad to see Bruce looking so old.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3929 on: July 19, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
Fantastic pics!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3930 on: July 19, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »

...Or:  "wonderful to see Bruce still rocking so hard when he is so old."  Just sayin'.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3931 on: July 19, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »
I think he looks cool!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3932 on: July 19, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
I mean he sported that look really well in the pic with the sword fight with Eddie.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3933 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
My work gave me two tickets for Wednesday 7-24 and the day off 7-25

Is your employer hiring?

I mean....dude is 60 years old.  Nicko is 60-freakin'-7 years old (three months older than Neil Peart) and still destroying the drums.  The sad thing is that they're still dragging Janick Gers around with them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3934 on: July 19, 2019, 03:10:15 PM »
It's funny, I completely forget that these guys are so old (respectfully). Despite Book of Souls' terrible production they played their hearts out on that record and Bruce especially - can't believe he was in his late 50s putting out the scream at the beginning of Speed of Light.

But from those pics it looks like he'll be doubling as both singer and Eddie soon enough  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: July 19, 2019, 04:07:51 PM »
It's funny, I completely forget that these guys are so old (respectfully). Despite Book of Souls' terrible production they played their hearts out on that record and Bruce especially - can't believe he was in his late 50s putting out the scream at the beginning of Speed of Light.

But from those pics it looks like he'll be doubling as both singer and Eddie soon enough  :lol

Dont forget about Bruce's golf ball sized tumor in his throat while doing that recording.  When you think about all that, it really is absolutely insane how amazing of a story that is of battling cancer head on.  The recovery and then taking the show to the road.  Stadler and I were there at the last show of the tour with Bruce stripping and throwing all his clothes into the crowd, one of the best concert moments ever.  My friend still today is so mad at the tall guy near us who caught the boot so easily with his height and arms.

I honestly don't know how they do it, but this is kind of what I mean Bosk, these guys are old, you aren't going to get many opportunities to see this kind of show anymore and unlike other bands who are of similar age, these guys still put on a great show and performance. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3936 on: July 19, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
Bosk, if you have the opportunity you MUST go. They really are the greatest live band out there. You will truly be amazed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3938 on: July 19, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »

FUCKING DO IT!!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3939 on: July 19, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »

You are going now?

Yeah, ended up getting tickets with one of my beer buddies.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3940 on: July 20, 2019, 04:54:19 AM »
http://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden-release-official-video-recap-of-last-night-s-2019-legacy-of-the-beast-tour-launch

The clip gave me an answer about what I was always wondering, if metal bands do a full dress rehearsal with all the stage costumes and effects and the likes... I guess they do, after all I'm sure opera productions do it all the time at least once before a show, it's just weird to sing in front of an empty house, does Bruce even rehearses his speeches and crowd interactions I wonder?  :D "Ok, here we'll do a pause, let me try the speech that will lead into The Clansman, Nicko don't start until I actually announce the name of the song"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline max_security

« Reply #3941 on: July 20, 2019, 06:49:59 AM »

Is your employer hiring?

I mean....dude is 60 years old.  Nicko is 60-freakin'-7 years old (three months older than Neil Peart) and still destroying the drums.  The sad thing is that they're still dragging Janick Gers around with them.

I really have to pretend he is not there , the last Maiden concert I attended was Somewhere In Time 87 I think. 

Yes , actually to hiring . Shoot last month he took a few of us offshore fishing in OC MD with hotel etc. , new truck for me this year , couple of unexpected cash bonuses... been a good year on the work front.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3942 on: July 20, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »
How does it feel then you realize Janick wrote some of their best stuff over the last 20 years? I assume you're probably not into the newer stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3943 on: July 20, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
How does it feel then you realize Janick wrote some of their best stuff over the last 20 years? I assume you're probably not into the newer stuff.

Well, "best" is subjective, isn't it?

I looked back, and if I listed my top ten reunion songs, he didn't write one of them.   "Dance Of Death" is the closest to that list. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:12:32 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3944 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:24 AM »

Dont forget about Bruce's golf ball sized tumor in his throat while doing that recording.  When you think about all that, it really is absolutely insane how amazing of a story that is of battling cancer head on.  The recovery and then taking the show to the road.  Stadler and I were there at the last show of the tour with Bruce stripping and throwing all his clothes into the crowd, one of the best concert moments ever.  My friend still today is so mad at the tall guy near us who caught the boot so easily with his height and arms.

I honestly don't know how they do it, but this is kind of what I mean Bosk, these guys are old, you aren't going to get many opportunities to see this kind of show anymore and unlike other bands who are of similar age, these guys still put on a great show and performance.

I've seen them five or six times, and that show is, in it's own way, the best one I've seen.   The energy coming off that stage was just unbelievable.

As for the rehearsals... not a knock at all on Bruce (and I haven't seen that video yet) but his "raps" are not that spontaneous.  He does a good job of making them sound like they are, but they're not.  I also don't think the dress rehearsals are in front of an empty house.  It might not be 20,000 Maiden maniacs, but they do let friends and family and hangers-on in.   Not so much anymore, but Jim Koplik, the local promoter here in CT, used to let out the local ampitheater for bands to rehearse, and while I never got to go myself, I know people that have, and there's still a bit of energy to the proceedings.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3945 on: July 20, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »
I don't think I'll ever get to see Maiden (or GnR) live because of the cost of tickets. That really makes me sad because there's very little I want to experience live more than Bruce screaming at the crowd and getting everyone amped. Man. What a legendary frontman.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3946 on: July 20, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »

Well, "best" is subjective, isn't it?

I looked back, and if I listed my top ten reunion songs, he didn't write one of them.   "Dance Of Death" is the closest to that list.
That's a shame. What about The Legacy, The Talisman, The Book of souls, Dream of mirrors? Even some of the ones that aren't generally acclaimed are huge favorites of mine, such as The Alchemist or Gates of tomorrow. I think with songs such as those, Janick truly earned his place in the band and contributed a lot.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3947 on: July 20, 2019, 10:31:18 AM »
I guess I'll cave and get a good seat for $200 freaking dollars.

The Legacy is a great song, love the buildup. Instant favorite once I heard it, bought AMOLAD once it came out, good time to be a new Maiden fan.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: July 20, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »

Is your employer hiring?

I really have to pretend he is not there , the last Maiden concert I attended was Somewhere In Time 87 I think. 

Yes , actually to hiring . Shoot last month he took a few of us offshore fishing in OC MD with hotel etc. , new truck for me this year , couple of unexpected cash bonuses... been a good year on the work front.

Janick has been a member for 29 years, I thought people would have gotten over it and accepted it by now.  He's an important member and agree he's written a lot of the better reunion songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3949 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
Agreed Janick is a great musician and a good showman!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3950 on: July 22, 2019, 01:04:39 AM »
I really don't care for his lead playing, but the fact that he wrote Dream of Mirrors gained a ton of respect from me. In my opinion, it's the best song on that album minus the intro section.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3951 on: July 22, 2019, 04:23:51 AM »

Is your employer hiring?

Janick has been a member for 29 years, I thought people would have gotten over it and accepted it by now.  He's an important member and agree he's written a lot of the better reunion songs.
Yea i've never understood either why Janick gets so much flak, he does his thing on stage that I find is part of the package at this point and has been for ages.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3952 on: July 22, 2019, 08:50:20 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not a matter of "not accepting".  He's there.  Not calling for Steve to send him home. For the same reason I believe DT isn't the same without MP and with MM, I think Janick is good for the "clubhouse" and has done much to keep the band together.  I would agree that live, they are - pun certainly intended - a beast, and in good part because of Janick being there.  I'm not bagging on him at all.   I can do without the Cinderella-esque "guitar swing", but he's a good player.   I just think that historically, Adrian is the guy - of the three guitar players - that delivers on the material that I pump my fist to most each and every concert. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3953 on: July 23, 2019, 12:27:04 AM »
The only thing I will agree with the Janick haters on, is when Adrian came back in and Janick took some of his solos.  Not only did he take those solos but he did butcher a lot of them.  That's something I will just never understand.  I know they were probably just trying to split them more evenly but the whole thing was weird.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3954 on: July 23, 2019, 01:13:14 AM »
Not only did he take those solos but he did butcher a lot of them. 

Some might say he took them and played them in his own style, making them his own.

I like Janick's solos - he has a fluid, improv almost psychedelic style that really brings something different to the Maiden sound. It's the contrast between the three guitar styles that really make Maiden what they are these days.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."