Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557470 times)

Offline 425

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3850 on: June 02, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are pretty similar albums.  But I give FotD the slight edge since the songs that are good are better than anything from NPftD.    And it really begins right from the opener.   BQOBD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tailgunner. 

To me, the difference between NPftD and FotD is significant, and some of that difference is a sense I get on FotD that the band is just tired and running on empty. I don't know if this was actually the case, but that's how it feels to me. Especially Bruce, whose studio performance was only improved upon by Blaze Bayley for one song in the entire discography: Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Even some of the songs that I exclude from that bottom 4 group feel somewhat by-the-numbers: Wasting Love and The Fugitive being archetypal examples. And to bring that bottom four back in, there is no more generic song in the discography than Chains of Misery.

No Prayer for the Dying is a weird direction for the band to go, especially following SSoaSS, and it's their second weakest effort by far. But it still feels alive with energy and passion in a way FotD just doesn't. And whereas the middling songs on FotD often feel just rote (Fugitive, WL, FitK), the middling songs on NPftD have some fire, and usually their own distinctive energy and swagger. Holy Smoke, Public Enema Number One, and Hooks in You are very, very far from being Iron Maiden's best songs, but I find them fun. Much more fun than "Here's The Prisoner, but Worse" or "Here's a Power Ballad." One could easily find things to criticize about the most NPftD-esque song on FotD, From Here to Eternity, but that song is way more interesting to me than all but the best three songs on FotD.

And I'm not a Blaze hater either.   In fact, I think TXF might be the single most underrated IM album in their entire catalog.   It's the songwriting itself that ruins VXI.   There are one or two good songs that I can listen to without begging for death before the end.  (Clansman and Futureal aren't too bad).    There are a few good ideas that turn into Chinese water torture (DLTTEOAS is a great example of this).   And then there's just the songs that should be stuffed right up 'Arry's arse.  (TA&TG)  :\

All I can say is I very much agree about TXF, but disagree about VXI. Futureal and The Clansman are straight-up excellent Maiden songs that can stand up just fine to almost anything from the 80s or reunion eras. And then The Educated Fool and When Two Worlds Collide are just far, far too neglected. They're Brave New World songs with Blaze (or, rather, a good 30-40% of BNW literally is Virtual XI songs with Bruce: Dream of Mirrors, The Nomad, The Mercenary and maybe another).

I like The Angel and the Gambler a lot. It's Blaze's best performance on the album and it just goes all out and unapologetic on being what it is. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger is a partly-succeeded and partly-failed experiment, but I really don't mind it at all.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3851 on: June 02, 2019, 05:33:48 PM »
Met this fine gentleman yesterday:

Wow.  That's awesome.

Speaking about Nicko, since I was going to be in Orlando, FL in September, I contemplated wanting to go to his BBQ restaurant, but then I found out it was about three hours away from where I was at.  How is that place for those that may have been there?  Good enough?  I thought that would have been awesome to be there on the week after I would see Iron Maiden in LA.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3852 on: June 02, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »

No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are pretty similar albums.  But I give FotD the slight edge since the songs that are good are better than anything from NPftD.    And it really begins right from the opener.   BQOBD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tailgunner. 

No they're not, and there's nothing slight about it.
They're similar in that they both suffer from the same fatal flaw--Bruce's vocals. I lump them together for that reason, and while they both have a couple of good songs, Run Silent Run Deep (which nobody's mentioned), Afraid, Judas, overall they both have the same feel that just doesn't work for me. Moreover, every album before it was spectacular. At best these two were merely passable for a variety of reasons. For me that's just a singular 3 year stretch of relative awfulness.

Met this fine gentleman yesterday:

Up the Irons.  :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 425

« Reply #3853 on: June 02, 2019, 06:31:42 PM »
They're similar in that they both suffer from the same fatal flaw--Bruce's vocals. I lump them together for that reason, and while they both have a couple of good songs, Run Silent Run Deep (which nobody's mentioned), Afraid, Judas, overall they both have the same feel that just doesn't work for me. Moreover, every album before it was spectacular. At best these two were merely passable for a variety of reasons. For me that's just a singular 3 year stretch of relative awfulness.

Run Silent Run Deep is one that I personally like a lot. Definitely better than Judas Be My Guide.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3854 on: June 02, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »
I like Run Silent Run Deep and Judas be my Guide. But I read an interview where Bruce said he thinks Run Silent Run Deep is the worst Maiden song. He wasn't happy at all with the end result of No Prayer. I like NPFTD better than Fear of the Dark, but coming from Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time, both were MASSIVE steps down. What Bruce says in his book is that at the time the band grew immune to criticism after such a string of stellar albums, and in hindsight, they missed someone to tell them "get back to the drawing board guys, this isn't good enough".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3855 on: June 02, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »

No they're not, and there's nothing slight about it.

Honestly, I haven't had the energy to post in depth on this because we've covered this a couple of times already in this thread.

That said, Run Silent Run Deep is great. One of my favorite Maiden choruses. After the title track, it's my #2 song on the album. It contains Maiden's only mosh part. :metal

Bruce's vocals are brutal on these two albums. Fear feels far more focused, save for the extra "B sides" that for some reason were part of the album proper.

Honestly, I love Fear and I personally take it over Powerslave and Somewhere In Time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #3856 on: June 02, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Run Silent Run Deep is probably my favorite Maiden song (and No Prayer is my favorite album of theirs). The harmonized guitar part leading into the last verse is so damn cool and the bass arpeggios sound really eerie. Great song. Why does Bruce hate it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3857 on: July 06, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
Anyone else seen this?

What if Bruce Dickinson sang other peoples songs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oS-bFqv-k
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3858 on: July 06, 2019, 08:40:59 PM »
That's great!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3859 on: July 07, 2019, 01:49:28 AM »
 :lol  :tup That was so weird to hear.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3860 on: July 07, 2019, 02:27:30 AM »
Anyone else seen this?

Unreal!

If at all, it's the proof that Bruce Dickinson singing would do anything better  ;D

Seriously, I'd buy a solo album from him called "Whatever I felt like singing today", with the album contents reflecting the title.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3861 on: July 07, 2019, 03:54:00 AM »
Anyone else seen this?

wow  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3862 on: July 07, 2019, 05:09:38 AM »
That guy has an amazing voice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3863 on: July 07, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »
Find the clips of the real Bruce singing "Jerusalem" and "Revelations" in the church (Canterbury Cathedral) with Ian Anderson.   It's worth it.

EDIT:  Jerusalem:  https://youtu.be/YTgZatpr1L8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3864 on: July 07, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
Find the clips of the real Bruce singing "Jerusalem" and "Revelations" in the church (Canterbury Cathedral) with Ian Anderson.   It's worth it.

EDIT:  Jerusalem:  https://youtu.be/YTgZatpr1L8

I remember seeing that vid when it came out.  It's wonderful.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3865 on: July 07, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »
Not only does that guy's voice sound spot on, but stylistically he's making all the right decisions. The inflections are exactly how Bruce might do it, moving back and forth from rough sounding FotD era to the cleaner TNotB era as the lyrics dictate. Those are things he'd have to figure out on his own since, thank the gods, Bruce never sang crappy Aerosmith songs.  Pretty impressive.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3866 on: July 08, 2019, 01:02:44 AM »
I actually enjoyed the Bryan Adams portion (Heaven), now I'd want him to sing it for real!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3867 on: July 08, 2019, 06:20:14 AM »
That was so awesome and very strange at the same time. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3868 on: July 09, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3869 on: July 09, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
Run Silent Run Deep is probably my favorite Maiden song

One of mine too. Classic triplet chug, superb chorus and great evocative subject matter. Perfect Maiden.

Not fond of No Prayer except for JMG and this though.

Fear of the Dark is my least favourite Bruce album by a loooooong way. It might even be lower than the Blaze ones for me. I don't even like the title track much. Great riff, though.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3870 on: July 11, 2019, 05:47:56 AM »
What's JMG?  Are you referring to Judas? That's on Fear.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3871 on: July 11, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
Fear of the Dark is my least favourite Bruce album by a loooooong way. It might even be lower than the Blaze ones for me. I don't even like the title track much. Great riff, though.

Fear and NPFTD are below TXF for me, V11 is my least favorite though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3872 on: July 11, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »
Not only does that guy's voice sound spot on, but stylistically he's making all the right decisions. The inflections are exactly how Bruce might do it, moving back and forth from rough sounding FotD era to the cleaner TNotB era as the lyrics dictate. Those are things he'd have to figure out on his own since, thank the gods, Bruce never sang crappy Aerosmith songs.  Pretty impressive.

Good call.  Very good call.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3873 on: July 11, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »
This is a non-story really but apparently IM sued the devs of an upcoming game called Ion Maiden, go figure.  :lol

Anyway the fanbase....of a game not even released is pretty salty, the game is now called Ion Fury.

Pretty funny reading the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnhRz_GP3c

Whatever one might think about this lawsuit, if you name your game so obviously close to one of the biggest metal bands in the world you better have your lawyers at close proximity.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3874 on: July 11, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »

Oh yeah.  :facepalm:  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3875 on: July 11, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
This is a non-story really but apparently IM sued the devs of an upcoming game called Ion Maiden, go figure.  :lol

Anyway the fanbase....of a game not even released is pretty salty, the game is now called Ion Fury.

Whatever one might think about this lawsuit, if you name your game so obviously close to one of the biggest metal bands in the world you better have your lawyers at close proximity.

The graphics look circa 2001. Why would anyone(the gamers) be upset about a cheap looking Duke Nuke'm knockoff?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3876 on: July 12, 2019, 12:22:47 AM »

The comments caught me by surprise.  People really bagging the band and supporting the makers of the game?  It's a blatant marketing ploy calling it Ion Maiden.  Looking for sales and mooching off the name.  Lol.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3877 on: July 12, 2019, 02:14:31 AM »

Oh yeah.  :facepalm:  ;D

One of my favourite Maiden tracks ever.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3878 on: July 12, 2019, 02:33:17 AM »

The comments caught me by surprise.  People really bagging the band and supporting the makers of the game?  It's a blatant marketing ploy calling it Ion Maiden.  Looking for sales and mooching off the name.  Lol.

I'm not gonna read up on it but for me the context would be key.   The "Iron Maiden" was a thing (torture device) over a hundred years before the band used the name , so it's not as if they have a monopoly on the use of the term or similar.  Like any copyright it should come down to the context in which it is used.

Just IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #3879 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:40 AM »

I'm not gonna read up on it but for me the context would be key.   The "Iron Maiden" was a thing (torture device) over a hundred years before the band used the name , so it's not as if they have a monopoly on the use of the term or similar.  Like any copyright it should come down to the context in which it is used.

Just IMHO.

I don't necessarily agree the name is a marketing ploy either. The game is being put out by 3D Realms and is using an updated version of the classic Build Engine. Those two things alone are what attracted it a hell of a lot of attention. Since then it's also garnered a lot of acclaim from a number of publications, so it's not like they're putting out a crap piece of work.

I think they were of course aware of the similarity when they named it and perhaps it was even a bit of a tribute but I don't think there was ever the intention to trade off of the bands popularity.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3880 on: July 12, 2019, 04:00:24 AM »

Just IMHO.

I don't necessarily agree the name is a marketing ploy either. The game is being put out by 3D Realms and is using an updated version of the classic Build Engine. Those two things alone are what attracted it a hell of a lot of attention. Since then it's also garnered a lot of acclaim from a number of publications, so it's not like they're putting out a crap piece of work.

I think they were of course aware of the similarity when they named it and perhaps it was even a bit of a tribute but I don't think there was ever the intention to trade off of the bands popularity.
The game seems cool but eitherway, when you choose a name for a game you might wanna first check if it's clever too build an IP on a name that obviously share a big similarity to one of the biggest metal bands in the world tribute or not. I could see this lawsuit a mile ahead!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3881 on: July 12, 2019, 04:03:06 AM »
Let's not forget the logo was also shaped not too much dissimilar from Maiden's one.

Maybe "Ion Maiden" alone would have flown over people's head, but that name AND a similar logo.... that causes legal trouble, wether it's justified or not.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3882 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Nicko is revealing the upcoming setlist the only way he could  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcnGjqdeTA

Offline 425

« Reply #3883 on: July 12, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »
*SPOILERS*

I'm glad that the setlist is shaping up the same as the previous leg so far. I've been worried that they would kill a lot of the deeper cuts for the sake of the boring American audience. Just waiting to hear Nick confirm that their keeping SotC, and I'll be very happy.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3884 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »
*SPOILERS*

I'm glad that the setlist is shaping up the same as the previous leg so far. I've been worried that they would kill a lot of the deeper cuts for the sake of the boring American audience. Just waiting to hear Nick confirm that their keeping SotC, and I'll be very happy.

I think he confirmed it in the preview I saw for these videos.  I'm also glad for this as well.