Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557508 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3817 on: May 29, 2019, 09:51:14 PM »
Methinks the Sheriff of Huddersfield might be overdoing it a bit here. Seems petty.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3818 on: May 29, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Maiden's mistake is in giving them the publicity they seek. Ion Maiden is a silly name to use if you're not looking for the connection, and that font was crafted to be evocative without crossing any lines. This is exactly what the developer was wanting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3819 on: May 30, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »
Yea, this is dumb and Iron Maiden look pretty silly here.  Just gave themselves competition for their own game  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3820 on: May 30, 2019, 07:55:00 AM »
Never even knew about the Ion Maiden game. Just checked it out and now I might pick it up.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3821 on: May 30, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
Never even knew about the Ion Maiden game. Just checked it out and now I might pick it up.
Meh, I played it back in 1996.

(One of the best deathmatch games you'll ever play. God damn we had some fun playing that.)
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3822 on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »
Meh, I played it back in 1996.

(One of the best deathmatch games you'll ever play. God damn we had some fun playing that.)

I'm confused; I thought Ion Maiden came out in 2019 and was a prequel to a 2016 game.

Maiden (or whoever in Maiden's camp that's proceeding with this) look pretty bad here. Their reasoning is bunk and even the logo looks absolutely nothing like Maiden's.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3823 on: May 30, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
Not surprised to see misinformation being spread like this already just given the nature of the media. Article states that Iron Maiden's holding company are suing for infringement. I've seen nowhere the members of the band actually comment on this themselves or that they are personally responsible for the claim.

In any case, I honestly doubt they care. I suspect this is just to protect the brand in the event a suit later down the line that actually matters comes up. Letting a smaller "infringement" like this slide wouldn't do them any favors in that case.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3824 on: May 30, 2019, 10:10:36 AM »
Not surprised to see misinformation being spread like this already just given the nature of the media. Article states that Iron Maiden's holding company are suing for infringement. I've seen nowhere the members of the band actually comment on this themselves or that they are personally responsible for the claim.

In any case, I honestly doubt they care. I suspect this is just to protect the brand in the event a suit later down the line that actually matters comes up. Letting a smaller "infringement" like this slide wouldn't do them any favors in that case.

What misinformation?  The holding company the vehicle by which the band does business and is doing the suing because the holding company owns the rights in the name.  It's not like Steve Harris could sue personally; he lacks standing.  If the holding company has sued, the band has sued.  Given my understanding that Harris is the sole owner of the Iron Maiden business entities, it's safe to assume that he signed off on the suit.

I couldn't find anything that indicated whether the suit was filed in the U.S. or UK.  If the former, I think they may have an uphill battle since it's not like the band invented the name "iron maiden," and there doesn't otherwise appear to be any connection between the game and the band.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3825 on: May 31, 2019, 07:12:51 AM »
Maybe this will help them compensate a little the amounts they have paid to Becket last year to settle the lawsuit over songwriting credits for Hallowed Be Thy Name!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3826 on: May 31, 2019, 07:26:26 AM »
...and even the logo looks absolutely nothing like Maiden's.

The logo looks a LOT like Maiden's. A hell of a lot.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3827 on: May 31, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »

"A hell of a lot" - sorry brudda, I don't think it looks THAT similar at all. So they have sharp and somewhat blocky features. That doesn't make 'em identical. They still look very different to me... The only letters that even look similar are the Is and that's because they're just big rectangles. The M has that high placed arch, sure, but that's still not enough to claim logo plagiarism or anything. Just my opinion.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3828 on: May 31, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
Those "I"s look the same!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3829 on: May 31, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »

"A hell of a lot" - sorry brudda, I don't think it looks THAT similar at all. So they have sharp and somewhat blocky features. That doesn't make 'em identical. They still look very different to me... The only letters that even look similar are the Is and that's because they're just big rectangles. The M has that high placed arch, sure, but that's still not enough to claim logo plagiarism or anything. Just my opinion.
It's evocative, like I said the other day. When you see them side by side they looking nothing alike, but when you first see their logo the first thing you think is Iron Maiden. Fonts are peculiar things like that. You really only need a couple of visual cues to make the association. In this case the notched letters (lower case N, O, and D) and the top-heavy M.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3830 on: May 31, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't get that vibe from the font at all, it's pretty much just that the name of the game is 1 letter off from Iron Maiden that makes me think of them, not the design.

Offline 425

« Reply #3831 on: May 31, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
That said, my maybe-controversial opinion is:  The Final Frontier is BY FAR Maiden's strongest, most consistent album, and is the only one that doesn't have even a single filler track.  EVERY song is of the highest quality and contributes to the only true "Masterpiece" in their discography.

So there.

Oh, man, my sporadic forum participation caused me to leave bosk out there alone for two weeks, taking heat for the best Iron Maiden take of all.

TFF is their best album. AMOLAD is a very good companion to it, but some of the AMOLAD songs just don't rise to the level that TFF is operating on for its full duration. (Different World, Out of the Shadows)

Mother of Mercy may be the most criminally underrated short song in the whole Maiden discography. The Man Who Would Be King would be the most criminally underrated epic in the whole Maiden discography, if Isle of Avalon didn't exist.

Satellite 15 is a treasure. Such a bold way to open a 15th album, and still one of my all-time favorite album openers.

A great album. Their greatest album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3832 on: May 31, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »
:hearts:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3833 on: May 31, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »
I'm with EB on the logo.   "Evocative" is the perfect word for it.   You can tell when something is clearly intended to "hint" at something else artistically speaking, and this seems to do that without much subtlety. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3834 on: May 31, 2019, 07:38:32 PM »
That said, my maybe-controversial opinion is:  The Final Frontier is BY FAR Maiden's strongest, most consistent album, and is the only one that doesn't have even a single filler track.  EVERY song is of the highest quality and contributes to the only true "Masterpiece" in their discography.

So there.

Oh, man, my sporadic forum participation caused me to leave bosk out there alone for two weeks, taking heat for the best Iron Maiden take of all.

TFF is their best album. AMOLAD is a very good companion to it, but some of the AMOLAD songs just don't rise to the level that TFF is operating on for its full duration. (Different World, Out of the Shadows)

Mother of Mercy may be the most criminally underrated short song in the whole Maiden discography. The Man Who Would Be King would be the most criminally underrated epic in the whole Maiden discography, if Isle of Avalon didn't exist.

Satellite 15 is a treasure. Such a bold way to open a 15th album, and still one of my all-time favorite album openers.

A great album. Their greatest album.

I agree. While I will concede that AMOLAD will be the defining album of the Reunion Era, given the choice, I take TFF over it. I feel it's just as strong musicwise, but colored a bit brighter and is easier on the ears.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3835 on: May 31, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
You three get in the quarantine until you realize the error of your ways

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3836 on: June 01, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »

Mother of Mercy is amazing, but when we're talking about deep cuts, I prefer Judas Be My Guide. It seems pretty well-loved by the fanbase so it's probably only underrated by the band themselves.

Replace TMWWBG which seems like three unrelated songs edited together (I do still like it however) with Starblind and it's a deal. Those three and Coming Home are the only songs from TFF I come back to at all anymore.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3837 on: June 01, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
Speaking of Judas, Fear Of The Dark ( the album) is excellent.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #3838 on: June 01, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »

So there.

I agree. While I will concede that AMOLAD will be the defining album of the Reunion Era, given the choice, I take TFF over it. I feel it's just as strong musicwise, but colored a bit brighter and is easier on the ears.

Wow. I thought I was alone in my love of TFF. The only tune I don't really care for is the title track. Every other song I like. Especially The Man Who Would Be King, Mother of Mercy, and Isle of Avalon. I've never really been able to get into AMoLaD, outside of a handful of songs. I consider TFF superior to it.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3839 on: June 01, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
What is all this TFF > AMoLaD malarkey??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3840 on: June 01, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »

Last time I heard the album I remember thinking that Mother of Mercy was a bit average and I still think The Man who Would be King is the worst reunion era epic and actually the only one which is kinda boring. Sorry.  :biggrin:

But if it's any consolation, Isle of Avalon is indeed amazing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline 425

« Reply #3841 on: June 01, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »

Mother of Mercy is amazing, but when we're talking about deep cuts, I prefer Judas Be My Guide. It seems pretty well-loved by the fanbase so it's probably only underrated by the band themselves.

Replace TMWWBG which seems like three unrelated songs edited together (I do still like it however) with Starblind and it's a deal. Those three and Coming Home are the only songs from TFF I come back to at all anymore.

I do rank Starblind ahead of TMWWBK, but I feel like Starblind gets at least a modest amount of love (along with The Talisman and When the Wild Wind Blows), while IoA and TMWWBK don't.

Judas Be My Guide is a good song, one of the few bright spots on a pretty bad album, but a) I don't like it nearly as well as Mother of Mercy, and b) I think it gets more praise.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3842 on: June 01, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »
Fear Of The Dark is not a pretty bad album. It's pretty good, actually. I can go 8 songs deep easy on it.

The Talisman and Coming Home are two of my Top 5 Reunion Era tracks.

Offline 425

« Reply #3843 on: June 01, 2019, 05:42:28 PM »
To each his own... To me, Fear of the Dark is a HUGE step down from any other Iron Maiden album—including No Prayer for the Dying and Virtual XI, both of which are good albums IMO (especially the latter).

On FotD... Afraid to Shoot Strangers is an excellent song, and the title track is quite good. Judas is good. BQoBD, FHTE and Wasting Love are decent. FitK and The Fugitive are... passable?

And then Childhood's End, Chains of Misery, The Apparition and Weekend Warrior are Iron Maiden's four worst songs.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3844 on: June 01, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »
Childhood's End is amazing.

Fear's major problem is that it was their first album in the CD age. If you chop off The Apparition and Weekend Warrior, you get a pretty solid 10 track album.

Offline 425

« Reply #3845 on: June 01, 2019, 06:00:13 PM »
I really very strongly do not like the instrumentation under the chorus of Childhood's End. That's the main source of my objection there.

Maybe if you cut FotD down to this tracklist, maybe you have an album that's approximately on par with No Prayer. But this is after cutting a full 1/3 of the songs:

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. From Here to Eternity
3. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
4. Fear is the Key
5. Wasting Love
6. The Fugitive
7. Judas Be My Guide
8. Fear of the Dark

And even then, this tracklisting is riding on the strength of really just two songs, and what makes me call it as good as No Prayer is that, yeah, those two songs are better than anything on No Prayer, so I guess I might as well listen to the rest of it to get to those good songs, and on average I'll have as good a time as I would with the much more consistent NPftD.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3846 on: June 01, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
To each his own... To me, Fear of the Dark is a HUGE step down from any other Iron Maiden album—including No Prayer for the Dying and Virtual XI, both of which are good albums IMO (especially the latter).

On FotD... Afraid to Shoot Strangers is an excellent song, and the title track is quite good. Judas is good. BQoBD, FHTE and Wasting Love are decent. FitK and The Fugitive are... passable?

And then Childhood's End, Chains of Misery, The Apparition and Weekend Warrior are Iron Maiden's four worst songs.

You completely lost me on the bolded part.   That album is almost pure dreck.   

No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are pretty similar albums.  But I give FotD the slight edge since the songs that are good are better than anything from NPftD.    And it really begins right from the opener.   BQOBD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tailgunner. 

And I'm not a Blaze hater either.   In fact, I think TXF might be the single most underrated IM album in their entire catalog.   It's the songwriting itself that ruins VXI.   There are one or two good songs that I can listen to without begging for death before the end.  (Clansman and Futureal aren't too bad).    There are a few good ideas that turn into Chinese water torture (DLTTEOAS is a great example of this).   And then there's just the songs that should be stuffed right up 'Arry's arse.  (TA&TG)  :\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3847 on: June 01, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »

No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are pretty similar albums.  But I give FotD the slight edge since the songs that are good are better than anything from NPftD.    And it really begins right from the opener.   BQOBD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tailgunner. 

No they're not, and there's nothing slight about it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3848 on: June 02, 2019, 04:10:01 AM »
Childhood's End is amazing.

Fear's major problem is that it was their first album in the CD age. If you chop off The Apparition and Weekend Warrior, you get a pretty solid 10 track album.

Could possibly still be a top 5 Maiden album for me.  I love it.  Lots of variety, great solos and just good to see the band experiment a little.  Childhoods End is one of their most underrated, as is Judas, potentially Dave's best moment in terms of songwriting IMO. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3849 on: June 02, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
Met this fine gentleman yesterday: