Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557702 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3710 on: January 14, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
I would assume it was just hearsay and speculation that somehow was assumed it was official. It's no mystery that Steve Harris was absolutely and completely hell bent on keeping Maiden a british band, and therefore the new singer had to be british. Otherwise he would have settled for the scottish Doogie White which would have been an hell of a choice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #3711 on: January 14, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
James stated in an interview long ago that Dream Theater enabled him to create a name for himself, whereas in Iron Maiden, he would just be that guy that replaced Bruce Dickinson. It was a no-brainer for him, apparently.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3712 on: January 14, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
I don’t think that story is true. Maybe LaBrie and the guy from Angra were under consideration early on, but I don’t think they ever would’ve had a realistic chance for reasons MirrorMask mentioned. Definitely weren’t finalists.

Cool story about the Bruce experience, that sounds like an awesome night. I’ve seen some clips on Instagram of Bruce singing revelations. Great stuff!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: January 14, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
Kind of surprised they let you use your phone or camera during a speaking appearance actually.  But I'm guessing Bruce is above that type of stuff, he's so damn good at everything there is nothing to hide although typically with the speaking stuff you don't want that to spread because you might be saying the same things at your other shows (like recording at a comedy show is a big no no for that reason).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3714 on: January 14, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »
Cameras and cellphones were not allowed actually. Everyone respected that save for the occasional and rare furtive pic. But come on, at the very end of the conference the man's gonna sing, try and stop us  :lol (and we weren't even that many anyway)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: January 14, 2019, 02:49:10 PM »
Cameras and cellphones were not allowed actually. Everyone respected that save for the occasional and rare furtive pic. But come on, at the very end of the conference the man's gonna sing, try and stop us  :lol (and we weren't even that many anyway)

Ah ok true, makes sense and I'm not shitting on those who break the rules as I've been known to break that one before.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3716 on: January 14, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
This video comes from the public event, can you see it guys?

https://www.facebook.com/corrado.riva.50/videos/10218976418262321/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3717 on: January 14, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
plays for me

Online pg1067

« Reply #3718 on: January 14, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
HEY!    I was researching Angra as part of the roulette I'm running and I ran across this in the Wiki article about Andre Matos:

"Andre took part in a worldwide contest for replacing Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden and was in the Top 3 finalists alongside James LaBrie and eventual winner, Blaze Bayley."

Is that really true?  Either I never heard that about LaBrie, or it never registered.  Was he really officially in the top three for that spot?  I've heard Matos, and I've heard Michael Kiske, but James?

At least as phrased, it sounds pretty absurd.  Bruce played his last show with Maiden on August 28, 1993 (no idea how long before that he had told the band, and Bayley was slected sometime in 1994.  August 28, 1993 was also the last day of the second Japanese leg of the I&W/"Music in Progress" tour.  DT took a couple months off before a month of touring in Europe.  They started recording for Awake in May 1994.  "Worldwide contest" implies something that the "contestants" affirmatively participated in, which seems a little unlikely since, according to Mick Wall's biography of Maiden, Bayley [was Harris's] first choice from the beginning.

**Edited to make the last sentence coherent**
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:06:17 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3719 on: January 14, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »
Bruce told the band - or, specifically, as in his book, told Rod - between 1992 and 1993, with the already 1993 second leg planned turning into his farewell tour. The August 28 show was the Raising Hell one, the one with the magician tricks filmed for a video release, and it was a de-facto "post break up reunion" 'cause the proper tour already finished in May or something and so that was just a last special date to film the wacky magician sheaningans.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3720 on: January 14, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
HEY!    I was researching Angra as part of the roulette I'm running and I ran across this in the Wiki article about Andre Matos:

"Andre took part in a worldwide contest for replacing Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden and was in the Top 3 finalists alongside James LaBrie and eventual winner, Blaze Bayley."

Is that really true?  Either I never heard that about LaBrie, or it never registered.  Was he really officially in the top three for that spot?  I've heard Matos, and I've heard Michael Kiske, but James?

At least as phrased, it sounds pretty absurd.  Bruce played his last show with Maiden on August 28, 1993 (no idea how long before that he had told the band, and Bayley was slected sometime in 1994.  August 28, 1993 was also the last day of the second Japanese leg of the I&W/"Music in Progress" tour.  DT took a couple months off before a month of touring in Europe.  They started recording for Awake in May 1994.  "Worldwide contest" implies something that the "contestants" affirmatively participated in, which seems a little unlikely since, according to Mick Wall's biography of Maiden, Bayley first choice from the beginning.

I love that phrase: "world wide contest".  Had I known I would have filled out the form and sent it in!   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3721 on: January 14, 2019, 03:44:54 PM »
Kiske was never an option. And I forget what JLB said, but I don't think that was on the table either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #3722 on: January 14, 2019, 05:05:17 PM »

At least as phrased, it sounds pretty absurd.  Bruce played his last show with Maiden on August 28, 1993 (no idea how long before that he had told the band, and Bayley was slected sometime in 1994.  August 28, 1993 was also the last day of the second Japanese leg of the I&W/"Music in Progress" tour.  DT took a couple months off before a month of touring in Europe.  They started recording for Awake in May 1994.  "Worldwide contest" implies something that the "contestants" affirmatively participated in, which seems a little unlikely since, according to Mick Wall's biography of Maiden, Bayley [was Harris's] first choice from the beginning.

I love that phrase: "world wide contest".  Had I known I would have filled out the form and sent it in!

LOL...me too.  What's to lose?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3723 on: January 14, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
Bruce told the band - or, specifically, as in his book, told Rod - between 1992 and 1993, with the already 1993 second leg planned turning into his farewell tour. The August 28 show was the Raising Hell one, the one with the magician tricks filmed for a video release, and it was a de-facto "post break up reunion" 'cause the proper tour already finished in May or something and so that was just a last special date to film the wacky magician sheaningans.

What an awful show that was...not just the stage theatrics, but the band also seemed very detached.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3724 on: January 14, 2019, 10:59:48 PM »

What an awful show that was...not just the stage theatrics, but the band also seemed very detached.

Dave was shredding his ass off though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: January 15, 2019, 06:14:42 AM »
I actually love it, not for their performance but for the uniqueness of it.  Like what a cool idea on how to go out with your awesome singer?  Now sure the band looks uninspired and the performance is not good.  The sound isn't great and the magic is cheesy.  But how cool is it that they put Bruce in an Iron Maiden?  :metal :metal I actually kind of enjoy the idea of mixing the music with a magic show and for the most part thought it was cool for a one off experience even if I would never actually watch/listen for the IM performance (essentially, i would choose any other of their live releases to watch if I wanted to see good performances of those songs).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3726 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
I never saw Raven Age, despite numerous opportunities, but they have to be better than his daughter. The cheesy music was partially offset by the fact that she was remarkably well built, but at the same time she looked enough like Steve Harris for even that to be somewhat off-putting.

Personally, I'm hoping they add somebody else for support when they head down South. Last time they kept TRA and added Anthrax.

Finally checked out a couple of Raven Age tracks off their new album and they sound pretty solid. Vocals remind me of Corey on Stone Sour. Guitars definitely have an Iron Maiden harmony thing going on. I'll probably pick up their album. If nothing else it would be a good gym album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3727 on: January 17, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »
But how cool is it that they put Bruce in an Iron Maiden?  :metal :metal

As cheesy as it was, it really was the perfect way to see Bruce off.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3729 on: February 20, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
How Iron Maiden Turned a Video Game into a Live Tour

Cool video, it's amazing how IM continue to break barriers and continue to be successful. I knew the tour was based around the themes from the game, but I had no idea the game was actually a success since I'm not a mobile gamer and didn't really follow it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3730 on: February 21, 2019, 07:24:31 AM »
I've played a bit of the game. It's pretty cool, especially if you're a maiden fan.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3731 on: February 22, 2019, 06:09:49 AM »
See, if I ever met Bruce Dickinson, I'd ask him if he's ever going to write another Iffy Boatrace novel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Lord-Iffy-Boatrace/dp/0283060433
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3732 on: February 25, 2019, 09:12:53 AM »
They added a second Brooklyn date, fan club presale is wednesday... looks like I am going to have another back to back IM weekend in Brooklyn this summer  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3733 on: February 25, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »
Nice! I'll aim for the new date then, a Saturday concert with a full day of pre-gaming in the city >> rushing to Brooklyn from the office on a Friday.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3734 on: February 25, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »
Nice! I'll aim for the new date then, a Saturday concert with a full day of pre-gaming in the city >> rushing to Brooklyn from the office on a Friday.

Just need Stads and itll be a repeat of 2017

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3735 on: February 25, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »

I can easily be convinced of that.  It was a great time with great people. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3736 on: February 25, 2019, 12:05:47 PM »

I can easily be convinced of that.  It was a great time with great people. 

Let's make it happen people :metal
Photobucket sucks.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3737 on: February 27, 2019, 01:58:02 AM »
Sidenote:

https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/members-metallica-foo-fighters-iron-maiden-secret-supergroup/

Sounds more lika a jam session but eitherway, it's cool hearing Adrian Smith, Taylor Hawkins, Rob Trujillo and Richie Kotzen connecting together and sharing music. Has to be the coolest thing of being a famous musician.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3738 on: February 27, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »
thats pretty cool and I wonder how you get to go to such a party where these guys are just jamming

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3739 on: February 27, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »
I have a close friend (friends since Little League, lived together for a while, we went to law school together, I was in his wedding, helped him find his birth father, etc. etc.) who is a reasonably accomplished musician; at one point, before his daughters were born, he tried "one last shot", joining a band to cut a record and see what happened.  I actually managed them for a while.  Anyhow, he was on vacation in the Bahamas with his wife (I forget if it was honeymoon or just vacay) and he was having a drink in the bar at the complex they were staying and took up a convo with the table next to him.   At one point music came up and one of the guys asked if he played bass and Eric said "sure". 

So during one of the house band breaks, Nicko took the drums, Eric took the bass, and Adrian took guitar.  To this day we joke about Adrian standing there, leaning back and mumbling in that East End accent "Blues in C!".   

I have no idea if this is true, only his word, but he is one of those guys that if you weren't friends with him, you'd hate him, because (good) shit just happened to him.  He's got enough to brag about and/or gloat about that he well and truly does not need to make up stories like this.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3740 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
I have a close friend (friends since Little League, lived together for a while, we went to law school together, I was in his wedding, helped him find his birth father, etc. etc.) who is a reasonably accomplished musician; at one point, before his daughters were born, he tried "one last shot", joining a band to cut a record and see what happened.  I actually managed them for a while.  Anyhow, he was on vacation in the Bahamas with his wife (I forget if it was honeymoon or just vacay) and he was having a drink in the bar at the complex they were staying and took up a convo with the table next to him.   At one point music came up and one of the guys asked if he played bass and Eric said "sure". 

So during one of the house band breaks, Nicko took the drums, Eric took the bass, and Adrian took guitar.  To this day we joke about Adrian standing there, leaning back and mumbling in that East End accent "Blues in C!".   

I have no idea if this is true, only his word, but he is one of those guys that if you weren't friends with him, you'd hate him, because (good) shit just happened to him.  He's got enough to brag about and/or gloat about that he well and truly does not need to make up stories like this.

That's an incredible story. Really cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3741 on: February 27, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
I got two first row after the floor seats for the 2nd Barclays show.  Night 1 on the floor, night 2 just off the floor.  I've never actually had a good "seat" for IM before.  It's always been either in the back or on the floor.  It probably also explains why I've never gotten any real good video of IM before.  I should be able to get great shots from my seat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3742 on: March 16, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
Bruce being as awesome as always.

Bruce flies the P-51 Mustang

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3744 on: May 14, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
That was great! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol