Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557466 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3500 on: October 21, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
I have never bought different versions/masters/editions of the same album, and the thought has never once crossed my mind.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3501 on: October 21, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »
I'm not buying anything a second time. I've never had a problem with any of their albums.

How many fucking remasters are Iron Maiden going to tempt their fans into paying for? What's this, like the 4th or 5th time they've rereleased their catalog? 

I love Iron Maiden, and have always thought they were cool, but I hate this shit.

Kind of on board with this too.   I bought the Castle remasters because I wanted the b-sides (they came with a bonus disk) but while I've listened to a couple of the enhanced ones, they weren't that different, and there wasn't anything new, so I passed then like I'm probably going to pass now.

Well the Castle albums are the ones to have. Too bad they are so rare.

I want to clear up something though. Those Castle CDs are not remasters. Those are the same source as the original CD masters released in the 80s and 90s. Maiden's catalog was only remastered for CD once, in 1998 (those are the ones that have the enhanced CDs). I think that set of remasters was reprinted shortly after on a different label, but those have been the most recent CD releases until now. The versions of the albums that you and TAC are referring to are the originals and still the best way to hear Maiden on CD, probably including this upcoming set. So yea, if you have those then there's no point in these (other than Dance of Death).

I'm not an audiophile but I definitely hear a difference in the 98 remasters and it's not an improvement. They actually killed the dynamics and it especially ruins Piece of Mind through Seventh Son. If this is your only experience with 80s Maiden, I highly recommend checking out the original albums on vinyl or CD. These new masters aren't a bad alternative either though. It might be a cynical cash grab, but I'm glad the 98 versions will no longer be the standard.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3502 on: October 21, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
Maiden's catalog was only remastered for CD once, in 1998 (those are the ones that have the enhanced CDs).

Are those the ones that have the picture of Eddie on the spine? I have those. And, well, yeah, those are the only ones I am ever going to have.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3503 on: October 22, 2018, 05:30:02 AM »
Maiden's catalog was only remastered for CD once, in 1998 (those are the ones that have the enhanced CDs).

Are those the ones that have the picture of Eddie on the spine? I have those. And, well, yeah, those are the only ones I am ever going to have.

Yeah.  Those are the only ones I have too.  A bit of a revelation that these versions actually hinder the sound of the originals.  Im still tempted to jump on these.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3504 on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:29 AM »
I have the remastered one with the Eddie spine. Those are my first and only experience with Maiden's CDs. I'm now intrigued by these Castle editions. As far as the new ones go the only ones I'll think of picking up will probably be the last set with the Bruce II era albums.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3505 on: October 22, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
I also only have the remasters with the Eddie spine, but have no desire to buy any other edition. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: October 22, 2018, 07:53:32 AM »
I also have the remasters with the Eddie spine, but I will probably buy the other stuff if it means better sound.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline 425

« Reply #3507 on: October 22, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
I actually don't have much of the Iron Maiden catalog on CD, because I got into them before I cared about physical media. So I would consider getting at least some of these (especially Dance of Death if it's as Mosh says).

I am disappointed that they didn't include Total Eclipse, though. I get that it wasn't on the original release, but it's part of the album for me and probably for a lot of people who got into them after 1998. True of Sanctuary and Twilight Zone, too, I guess, but I wouldn't miss them nearly as much as Total Eclipse, which is just an awesome track.

I also think it would be nice if they gave Dance of Death new artwork. Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe just a stripped down version of the original... but something other than the disaster that was on the original release.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3508 on: October 22, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
I actually don't have much of the Iron Maiden catalog on CD, because I got into them before I cared about physical media. So I would consider getting at least some of these (especially Dance of Death if it's as Mosh says).

I am disappointed that they didn't include Total Eclipse, though. I get that it wasn't on the original release, but it's part of the album for me and probably for a lot of people who got into them after 1998. True of Sanctuary and Twilight Zone, too, I guess, but I wouldn't miss them nearly as much as Total Eclipse, which is just an awesome track.

I also think it would be nice if they gave Dance of Death new artwork. Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe just a stripped down version of the original... but something other than the disaster that was on the original release.

I think it's the single artwork of DOD that would be better, if it's official, where it's just Eddie without all the other freaks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3509 on: October 22, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
I found this years ago and it is what I use for artwork on my digital files.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3510 on: October 22, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
It looks like those 4 dudes are going to come out in a line dance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3511 on: October 22, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
I like that cover a lot better. I'm going to use that as well.

Offline 425

« Reply #3512 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
Yes, that's a good version! I may use it myself, thanks. It would nice if they used that for the new release. There's no way the band could look back 15 years later and say that the version they went with is a good cover.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3513 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
It looks like those 4 dudes are going to come out in a line dance.

Line dance of death?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3514 on: October 22, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
 :lol

Exactly!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: October 22, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
 :lol Perfect!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3516 on: October 23, 2018, 05:04:31 AM »
I'm usually not a fan of bands releasing alternate album covers on remastered editions. They already unnecessarily changed the debut and No prayer for the dying. However, a new version of Dance of death album cover would be welcome.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3517 on: October 23, 2018, 05:33:15 AM »
I never understood the resson behind the new No Prayer cover.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3518 on: October 23, 2018, 05:51:03 AM »

I may be wrong but Derek Riggs was unhappy with how quick he had to come up with the cover, and the dude strangled by Eddie was the least interesting thing of it all and therefore was cropped out / dropped.

What is more baffling is that they didn't come up with a new cover for Dance of Death eventually.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3519 on: October 23, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »

The gravedigger figure was supposedly a caricature of Rod Smallwood. Smallwood never liked it, and when the remasters gave him the opportunity to do so, he had the cover changed.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3520 on: October 23, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »
Here is what they should do:

Release all the albums as blu ray versions, including a DTS HD Audio 5.1 version of the original album. Also included would be the original mix, all the music videos for that particular album, a commentary track, and a switchable alternate artwork sleeve for every album!

I could get behind this!

Oh yeah, and the artwork for Dance of Death is a joke. :biggrin: Doesn't take anything away form the album though, it's really good!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3521 on: October 23, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »

If memory serves, the '98 remaster had Total Eclipse in there (I think it had  Gangland as well).   The Castle versions had a second disk with all the b-sides - for Number, it had Total Eclipse and the live Remember Tomorrow (allegedly from a very early show in Italy, though rumor has it, it's Bruce overdubbed over the Maiden Japan instrumental track) - though, oddly, they also inserted Sanctuary and Twilight Zone into the main disk. 

Offline 425

« Reply #3522 on: October 23, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
Your memory does serve you well. The 1998 versions, which as far as I know are the versions that have seen by far the widest distribution over the last 20 years, insert Sanctuary, Twilight Zone and Total Eclipse into the main tracklists of the first three albums, respectively (Sanctuary as track 2, Twilight Zone as track 10 and Total Eclipse as track 8).

And for those of us who got into the band since 1998, there is a very good chance that we became familiar with those versions of the albums, with those three songs added into the original tracklisting.

I get that, technically, those songs are not part of the albums as they were originally conceived and released. But for me, the only versions of those three albums I have ever known are the versions that do include those songs.

That's why I would have liked it if those songs, especially Total Eclipse, had been included on the newest remasters. Even if they had not been placed in the track order, but had instead been placed at the end, as bonus tracks. I bet there are a lot of younger Maiden fans for whom it will feel strange not to have them there at all.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3523 on: October 23, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »
Add me to the list who doesn't know what TNOTB is like without Total Eclipse

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3524 on: October 23, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
I do! ;D

For the life of me, I cannot understand the fascination of Total Eclipse.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3525 on: October 23, 2018, 02:35:52 PM »
I would never typically say there is too much Maiden. But I seriously don't want to re-buy this catalog of records.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3526 on: October 23, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
I do! ;D

For me, I don't really care for the song too much.  It is a nice change of pace song on the album, but really doesn't do much for me.  But I am just used to it being there and without it the album would feel a bit short.

I would never typically say there is too much Maiden. But I seriously don't want to re-buy this catalog of records.

IM are my favorite band but I dont want to re-buy and I won't.  It really is of no interest to me.  Maybe DOD if people said it fixed the sound.  But even then, I just get so used to what I've listened to that even a better sounding album, might still just through my ears off.  It's not worth paying for that IMO.  Usually I find nothing sounds better than what I've grown used to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3527 on: October 23, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
I do! ;D

I often list it as my favorite Maiden song of all time.   Of course the top three or five vary but it's always in there.  For whatever reason, I LOVE that song (though full disclosure, I'm sure part of it was the thrill of having that b-side from the UK import of Run To The Hills).  Plus, Dickinson is a beast on that song (no pun intended). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3528 on: October 23, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »
I had the 45 so I was on it too. It has just never connected with me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3529 on: October 23, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
I do! ;D

Ditto.  I heard a bunch of the Maiden B-sides back in the 80s.  I would say "Cross-Eyed Mary" is the best one I've heard.  "The Sheriff of Huddersfield" might be my favorite because of the humor.  I don't think I ever heard "Total Eclipse" before this calendar year, and I was rather unimpressed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3530 on: October 23, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
I always thought Cross Eyed Mary was pretty bad. I've Got the Fire KILLS!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3531 on: October 23, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »

The gravedigger figure was supposedly a caricature of Rod Smallwood. Smallwood never liked it, and when the remasters gave him the opportunity to do so, he had the cover changed.

Interesting.

I do! ;D

Something really different from Maiden and just a rocking song.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3532 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
My first exposure to NOTB was also the 1998 remasters and I never realised Total Eclipse wasn’t a proper album track, certainly doesn’t sound like an inferior song. Funnily enough, I only learned that it was not an album track when I bought the Dream Theater cover album and wondered why DT hadn’t played it.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #3533 on: October 24, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
I do! ;D

+1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »
YES!!!

Legacy of the Beast Tour 2019 Dates Announced!

July 2019
18 - Sunrise, FL, USA – BB&T Center
20 - Atlanta, GA, USA - Cellairis Amphitheatre at Lakewood

22 - Charlotte, NC, USA - PNC Music Pavilion
24 - Washington DC, USA - Jiffy Lube Live
26 - Brooklyn, NY, USA – Barclays Center
30 - Philadelphia, PA, USA - Wells Fargo Center

August 2019
01 -Boston, MA, USA - Xfinity Center
03 - Hartford, CT, USA - Xfinity Theatre
05 - Montreal, QC, CANADA – Bell Centre
07 - Quebec, QC, CANADA - Videotron Centre
09 - Toronto, ON, CANADA - Budweiser Stage
10 - Toronto, ON, CANADA - Budweiser Stage
13 - Buffalo, NY, USA - KeyBank Center
15 - Cincinnati, OH, USA - Riverbend Music Center
17 - Pittsburgh, PA, USA - PPG Paints Arena
19 - Nashville, TN, USA - Bridgestone Arena
22 - Chicago, IL, USA - Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
24 - Indianapolis, IL, USA - Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center

26 - St Paul, MN, USA - Xcel Energy Center
28 - Winnipeg, MB, CANADA - Bell MTS Place
30 - Edmonton, AB, CANADA – Rogers Place
31 - Calgary, AB, CANADA - Scotiabank Saddledome

September 2019

03 - Vancouver, BC, CANADA - Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena

05 - Tacoma, WA, USA - Tacoma Dome
06 - Portland, OR, USA - Moda Center
09 - Sacramento, CA, USA - Golden 1 Center
10 - Oakland, CA, USA - Oracle Arena
13 - Las Vegas, NV, USA - MGM Grand Garden Arena
14 - Los Angeles, CA, USA - Banc of California Stadium
17 - Phoenix, AZ, USA - Talking Stick Resort Arena
19 - Albuquerque, NM, USA - Isleta Amphitheater
21 - Dallas, TX, USA - Dos Equis Pavilion
22 - Houston, TX, USA - The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

25 - San Antonio, TX, USA – AT&T Center
29 - Mexico City, MEXICO – Sports Palace

October 2019
04 – Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL – Rock In Rio
12 - Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA - Velez Sarsfield Stadium
15 - Santiago, CHILE - Estadio Nacional

No further countries will be added to above touring schedule.

On-sale from Nov 16th
Pre-sale from Nov 12th

Support on the 2019 tour comes from The Raven Age

Additionally, Fozzy will be Guests for the Banc of California Stadium show in LA