Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557514 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3395 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
Ehh..I've already seen To Tame A Land live.  ;D ;D
It's unusual that I get to call somebody a cunt in this context, but you now qualify.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3396 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »
Ehh..I've already seen To Tame A Land live.  ;D ;D
It's unusual that I get to call somebody a cunt in this context, but you now qualify.

Yup. A big hairy stinky one! :yarr
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3397 on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »
Technically, I think that makes me one too; it was the 10th song of the set when I saw them in October of '83 on the "World Piece" tour.  Thanks, setlist.fm!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3398 on: June 04, 2018, 07:15:07 AM »
So cool seeing the plane moving forward over the first row:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhczyUE3tig
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3399 on: June 04, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3400 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Love this video of Icarus. Great presentation. Bruce has a flamethrower!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPvLUiGTGc
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3401 on: June 18, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
I played World of Tanks but not World of Warplanes, might have too check this out.

Wargaming — the company behind free-to-play titles World Of Tanks (2010), World Of Warplanes (2013) and World Of Warships (2015) — has announced that IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson will host 10 online educational warplanes diaries. Launching today, this free-to-view series is set to be released weekly on the World Of Warplanes official portal and YouTube channel across June, July and August, alongside an exclusive World Of Warplanes video tribute to the classic IRON MAIDEN song "Aces High".
Bruce Dickinson Warplanes Diaries: Hawker Hurricane
World of Warplanes | Aces High
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3402 on: June 18, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
Love this video of Icarus. Great presentation. Bruce has a flamethrower!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPvLUiGTGc

Bruce is like a 12 year old boy in the best possible way.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3403 on: June 27, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
IRON Maiden are being sued for more than £2million for allegedly stealing some of their biggest-selling songs.
A High Court writ says the metal band ripped off lyrics in six tracks.
Ex-singer Dennis Willcock says he wrote five and musician Terry Wilson-Slesser claims his lyrics for 70s group Beckett were used on a sixth.
Named defendants are Maiden’s chief songwriter and bass player Steve Harris, guitarist Dave Murray and their publishing company Imagem.
Willcock quit the group in 1978 before they began recording seriously and later got a job in advertising.
He claims he turned his back on music and never knew his lyrics were used because he never listened to Maiden’s albums.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6634750/iron-maiden-lyric-law-suit-investigation/

Here we go again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
IRON Maiden are being sued for more than £2million for allegedly stealing some of their biggest-selling songs.
Ex-singer Dennis Willcock says he wrote five and musician Terry Wilson-Slesser claims his lyrics for 70s group Beckett were used on a sixth.
Named defendants are Maiden’s chief songwriter and bass player Steve Harris, guitarist Dave Murray and their publishing company Imagem.
Willcock quit the group in 1978 before they began recording seriously and later got a job in advertising.
He claims he turned his back on music and never knew his lyrics were used because he never listened to Maiden’s albums.

Here we go again.

This is different from the lawsuit they just settled?  Or is this a money grab now because someone knows IM settled and maybe they think they can get a settlement?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3405 on: June 27, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
Where has all this been for forty years?

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #3406 on: June 27, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing that he completely ignored a band that he played in for that long only to discover that some of his work was used. Smells like a money grab to me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3407 on: June 27, 2018, 03:55:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing that he completely ignored a band that he played in for that long only to discover that some of his work was used. Smells like a money grab to me.
Definitely a money grab - in both instances. To believe that Wilcock had no clue about "his" song lyrics being used in those songs is a joke, even if he hadn't been in the band for all those years. Would be interesting to see how he proves that those are his lyrics, as opposed to Steve's, altho now that it's been established that Steve did claim other lyrics as his own, it definitely paints him as suspect.

I find it a joke that now, after the lawsuit has been settled regarding HBTN, that now yet another songwriter is just *now* speaking up and filing a separate lawsuit regarding the same song. The guy couldn't have been oblivious to the previous suit and probably held off figuring he could ring up more cash on his own, then join in the lawsuit of his former bandmate. Given that it's only a couple lines and they are not same, I'll be curious to see if this guy's lawsuit wins like his bandmate did.

That said, I think it's pathetic that Steve did essentially steal those lyrics and not give credit where credit's due. Just the same as with Led Zeppelin. Give credit where it's due. What Neil Peart did, just acknowledging Ayn Rand's influence on 2112 was the classy way to handle it. These guys should've done the same, or more.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:11:55 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3408 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
it seems like stuff like this goes on much more frequently than we realize unfortunately, regardless of whether Willcock's claims are true in this particular instance.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3409 on: June 28, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
If Steve Harris bothers you, you must not be a Cheap Trick fan then. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3410 on: June 30, 2018, 04:43:37 AM »
It was amazing to see them in Hungary two days ago, the stage set was truly a sight to behold. Also, Sign of the cross. Nuff said.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #3411 on: July 10, 2018, 12:10:44 AM »
Incredible performance Yesterday night in Milan, Italy. Probably the best show I have attended ever.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3412 on: July 10, 2018, 01:40:35 AM »
Incredible performance Yesterday night in Milan, Italy. Probably the best show I have attended ever.

I was there too!!!!  :metal

Overall - I'd rank it as my third best Maiden show ever. Can't beat, also for sentimental reasons, the reunion tour in 1999, and the Somewhere Back in Time tour in 2008 when I got a chance to see - kinda - the World Slavery tour that I missed on account of being 5 years old, but this is one of the very best.

For the stage show, this was probably the best ever. They already had a fantastic show (the ramps and the backdrops and of course Eddie) but they reinvented it all and brought it to a new level, with the gigantic props like the plane for Aces High and the Icarus figure. Amazing attention to detail and theatrics, Bruce in his books talks about the "theater of the mind" for his idea of a stage show (he quoted the backdrop for Rime of the Ancient Mariner as an example) and this is the best theater they've ever put on.

For the personal viewing experience, sadly it sucked - it was a flat field, obviously more than crowded, and everyone around me is tall as me, or shorter than me, so I basically didn't see anything. I've seen the backdrops of course, and the upper part of the stage and the screens but with my own eyes I barely got a glimpse of the stage. I'm not even sure, photo camera side, if I saw with my own eyes all of the six band members. I wish this was in a closed venue where I could sit and see it all.

For those complaining about the setlist - of course everyone is entitled about their own expectations and tastes, but I'd say that Mike Portnoy spoiled you with all the amazing efforts he took in creating the setlists for DT. Iron Maiden are a traditional band that, while promoting the hell out of a new album, always played it safe and they never ever were a "let's play a b-side or a song never played live in 40 years" kind of band.

For a band that always plays the same songs, in a single show you got:
- A song that wasn't played since 2005
- A song that wasn't played since 1985
- Two songs from an era of the band that no one but the die hards care about
- The return of two classic songs in the encore that, albeit overplayed, were put aside since 5 years
- New backdrops and stage props for basically every song, even the most overplayed one which was removed from the usual and predictable place just before the last song of the main set

I mean, what more do you want? Alex the Great? Sun and Steel? Women in Uniform? they've never been that kind of band and they never will. Of course everyone is entitled, as I said, to not like this or that song but if you accept the reality of what a Maiden setlist has ALWAYS been, this setlist is beyond amazing.

I regret now not having seen them in the other italian date they had, nor having a chance to see them again in a week in north east Italy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3413 on: August 02, 2018, 04:50:55 PM »
Just back from the show in Belfast tonight. Absolutely brilliant! The stage show is something to behold.

The setlist ticked a lot of boxes for me. There’s a lot of songs I really wanted to hear live: Revelations, Icarus, FTGGOG, Sign of the cross, and all didn’t disappoint.

I thought the crowd was reasonably subdued, until FOTD, which seemed to light the blue touch paper. Then the atmosphere built and built and was incredible by the last few songs.

I think I’m going to be in a high for a couple of days!  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3414 on: August 03, 2018, 01:17:26 AM »
I thought the crowd was reasonably subdued, until FOTD, which seemed to light the blue touch paper. Then the atmosphere built and built and was incredible by the last few songs.

If I had to pick the three songs that got the wildest reaction at my show, I'd pick Fear of the Dark, The Trooper and The Number of the Beast. I'm all for changing setlists but there's a reason why those songs get always played. It's what most people come for.

And I totally agree that the adrenaline rush of a Maiden concert lasts long after you've walked away from the venue  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3415 on: August 03, 2018, 08:07:04 AM »
Just back from the show in Belfast tonight. Absolutely brilliant! The stage show is something to behold.
I think I’m going to be in a high for a couple of days!  :metal

Greetings from Aberdeen! Vox Jr. and I were there in Belfast last night too! Great show! We're catching all of these last 7 dates in the UK. We just got out of the airport and headed to the hotel now. My ears are ringing a bit today. I forgot my ear plugs at the hotel, so hastily crammed a bunch of tissue in my ears. At my age, the duration of aftershow effects takes longer to subside without the added protection. Last year at Aberdeen i stood in the center of the stage at the rail sans any protection at all (I felt 19 again waiting in line outside the venue, and in an incredible lapse of judgement decided NOT to wear them, so therefore thought I was invincible), and it was a good solid week before things got back to normal.

I thought the crowd last night in the first part of the show was a bit less raucous than I expected too, however, looking around I think they were too busy filming and taking pictures. I felt that way at Metro Arena last Tuesday too. I think the stage set is so awesome, people are blown away and focused on everything thats going on. But once they got into it, they were into it. Did you happen to catch Nicko throwing a stick AT someone at the end of Icarus? It was stage left. He looked none to happy for a moment there.

I'm especially excited for tomorrow nights show. I caught them last year here and it was incredible (we travel to my ancestral homeland for about 2 weeks every year now, so the Missus and I caught six shows here on the island starting in Glasgow last year. Actually she caught the Glasgow show with me, and occupied her time reading, shopping, and doing spa things while I caught the rest by myself). The GE venue is a standing room only venue that holds about 8 thousand or so on a good day, and last year they split the arena, so it was even more intimate. I brought my kilt just for this event. Can't wait to roar with the crowd to The Clansman, in Scotland of all places.

Anyway, gonna grab some early dinner and some down time before the show. Up the Irons!  :metal

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3416 on: August 03, 2018, 09:51:43 AM »
For those of you that have seen the show, is there a preferred seat/area?   Some of these productions, you can actually be TOO close; is that the case here?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3417 on: August 03, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
Vox, 7 dates?? Wow, that’s serious!

I didn’t notice the incident you mentioned with Nicko, but there was a point at the end where he came out  and threw his sticks into the crowd. I think he may have hit someone with them, cos there was a lot of apologetic hand waving going on.  :lol

Enjoy the show in Aberdeen, and if you’re ever in our neck of the woods again, give me a shout!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3418 on: August 03, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »
For those of you that have seen the show, is there a preferred seat/area?   Some of these productions, you can actually be TOO close; is that the case here?

As middle as possible I'd say, there is a LOT of production this time around so the more you're at the center, the better . I wish I would have risked to be "too close" to the stage but I was quite far away in my open air arena when I saw them. Some let's call them "props" could work better seen very close, but the backgrounds work better when enjoyed from a little distance.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3419 on: August 07, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »

Here we go again.

This is different from the lawsuit they just settled?  Or is this a money grab now because someone knows IM settled and maybe they think they can get a settlement?

I know this is a couple months old, but the article seems to describe two different things.

One is similar to the lawsuit that recently settled.  In the settled lawsuit, the claim was that HBTN ripped off the Beckett song "Life's Shadow" ("Mark my words my soul lives on; Please don't worry cause I've have gone; I've gone beyond to see the truth. . . .  When your time is close at hand, Maybe then you'll understand; Life down there is just a strange illusion").  "Life's Shadow" was credited to Bob Barton and Brian Quinn (Barton being one of Beckett's guitarists, and Quinn apparently wasn't a member of the band).  Quinn claimed Barton made a deal with Maiden to cut Quinn out of his share of royalties.  The new lawsuit is filed by Beckett's singer, Terry Wilson-Slesser, and claims that HBTN ripped off another Beckett song, "Rainbow's End" (which Maiden actually covered as a b-side).  "Rainbow's End" features the following lyric:  "In the heat of the morning, When your day is still dawning, And your bird, she's singing, Catch your soul, he's willing to fly away."  The highlighted line is the only common lyric.

The separate lawsuit by Dennis Wilcock (apparently Maiden's singer before Di'Anno) alleges that Wilcock wrote lyrics for five songs that were released on Maiden's first two albums.

I don't know anything about English law to know whether there's any chance that either of these suits has any chance of succeeding.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3420 on: August 07, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »
On another note, I recently bought the 2-CD set for Live After Death, so for the first time since I threw away my old vinyl records 20+ years ago, I got to listen to "side 4," with the tracks that were recorded at Hammersmith.  That live version of "Phantom of the Opera" is so good!

I also noticed that Bruce messed up a LOT of lyrics, and the audience participation segment on "Running Free" wasn't nearly as annoying as I had remembered (probably because I usually skip it).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3421 on: August 07, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »

Here we go again.

I know this is a couple months old, but the article seems to describe two different things.

One is similar to the lawsuit that recently settled.  In the settled lawsuit, the claim was that HBTN ripped off the Beckett song "Life's Shadow" ("Mark my words my soul lives on; Please don't worry cause I've have gone; I've gone beyond to see the truth. . . .  When your time is close at hand, Maybe then you'll understand; Life down there is just a strange illusion").  "Life's Shadow" was credited to Bob Barton and Brian Quinn (Barton being one of Beckett's guitarists, and Quinn apparently wasn't a member of the band).  Quinn claimed Barton made a deal with Maiden to cut Quinn out of his share of royalties.  The new lawsuit is filed by Beckett's singer, Terry Wilson-Slesser, and claims that HBTN ripped off another Beckett song, "Rainbow's End" (which Maiden actually covered as a b-side).  "Rainbow's End" features the following lyric:  "In the heat of the morning, When your day is still dawning, And your bird, she's singing, Catch your soul, he's willing to fly away."  The highlighted line is the only common lyric.

The separate lawsuit by Dennis Wilcock (apparently Maiden's singer before Di'Anno) alleges that Wilcock wrote lyrics for five songs that were released on Maiden's first two albums.

I don't know anything about English law to know whether there's any chance that either of these suits has any chance of succeeding.

Maiden recently issued a response to the Dennis Wilcock lawsuit:  https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-responds-to-lawsuit-filed-by-former-singer-dennis-willcock/
In a formal written response to Willcock's legal action, IRON MAIDEN claims bassist Steve Harris, not Willcock, actually penned the lyrics in question. In addition, the band admits the songwriting credit on "Charlotte The Harlot" is wrong.

Since it first appeared on MAIDEN's debut LP, the track has been solely credited to guitarist Dave Murray. But in the documents served to the High Court, Harris and publisher Imagem state: "The lyrics for [the song] were written by Mr Harris in or around 1977 to accompany music written by Mr Murray, who had joined IRON MAIDEN in late 1976."

IRON MAIDEN has admitted that Willcock changed three words of "Prowler" and two of "Charlotte The Harlot" but has questioned whether he can remember writing them.

The band states: "[He] was, when he was a member of IRON MAIDEN, notorious for forgetting lyrics for the band's songs, or missing out words, or singing the wrong words. He… even had to sing from lyric sheets at live performances. Accordingly it is implausible that Mr Willcock can now remember lyrics he allegedly wrote some 40 years ago."

:lol   The band feels that this is a bullshit lawsuit.

What's interesting that if you read the comments section, there is a lot of commenting from a "Barry McKay," who is the lawyer for Wilcock.  Not sure if that's someone trolling Blabbermouth or the real lawyer stooping low enough to get involved with Blabbermouth commenters. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3422 on: August 07, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Considering his lawyer profession (not just being a lawyer, but being a copyright troll) I wouldn't be surprised if that is him.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: August 07, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
There are not necessarily explicit rules to this, but his presence in the comments section seems to tip off his real intent here.   I'd hate to be in a courtroom and have to answer for comments/statements I made online in an open forum. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3424 on: August 07, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
There are not necessarily explicit rules to this, but his presence in the comments section seems to tip off his real intent here.   I'd hate to be in a courtroom and have to answer for comments/statements I made online in an open forum.

Yea I read through them, and he's pretty disrespectful, if it is him.  I find it pretty hard to believe a lawyer would hit up the comments on blabbermouth and speak his case publicly (don't people usually not make public comments when there is an active court case ongoing?).  But who knows, I'm not sure he shared anything specific to make me think he is real.  Either way, I find this suit to be a bit far fetching.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3425 on: August 07, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »
McKay has a serious axe to grind. As I recall the actual songwriter from Beckett had settled with Maiden a while back. McKay's involvement was that he was their manager back in the day so he was entitled to 15% of what the band should have made. When that didn't happen he turned pretty bitter. At this point I think he just wants to stick it to Arry. I gather once this is through He'll dig up Thunderstick for the next round. Maybe Dennis Stratton. Or literally Clive Burr.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3426 on: August 08, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
Saw the show in Manchester and it’s quite possibly the best concert I’ve ever been to. Just an incredible setlist of wall to wall brilliance including the Blaze tunes which I love. Pretty hard to top as a Maiden set and the whole show and production were just flat out awesome. Bruce Dickinson at 60 years of age has twice the energy of frontmen half his age and sang his ass off on these songs from well over 30 years ago. Not sure I’ve ever heard him sing better. Simply amazing how Maiden seemingly get better every time I see them at the age they all are. They are the undisputed kings of metal.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3427 on: August 08, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
I don’t know if this bootleg was posted here before, but I think it’s a really good one from this tour:
https://youtu.be/vTfoO7VPw9Y
We can really feel the power of the band. Great performance and Bruce is amazing... I can’t believe he’s 60 years old! I think Nicko is very impressive for his age too!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3428 on: August 09, 2018, 01:46:53 AM »
Saw the show in Manchester and it’s quite possibly the best concert I’ve ever been to. Just an incredible setlist of wall to wall brilliance including the Blaze tunes which I love. Pretty hard to top as a Maiden set and the whole show and production were just flat out awesome. Bruce Dickinson at 60 years of age has twice the energy of frontmen half his age and sang his ass off on these songs from well over 30 years ago. Not sure I’ve ever heard him sing better. Simply amazing how Maiden seemingly get better every time I see them at the age they all are. They are the undisputed kings of metal.

It's been a week now since I saw them, and every day I'm still watching youtube videos of the gig to remind myself of just how great it was. I think this one will live long in the memory.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3429 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »
They need to bring this to the US