Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572412 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2835 on: July 03, 2017, 05:21:42 AM »
The Red And The Black from San Bernadino yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tFjeR7oJo

Adrian, apparently having sound issues, walks off the stage at the 8:15 mark.
Just want to say that Jannick f'n rules this instrumental part. And I will talk a lot about this in Mosh's thread when he gets to the No Prayer tour, but the amount of personal chemistry between Dave and Jannick is on clear display in this clip.

This is one thing I've always noticed since Adrian's departure and on those two tours.  The energy of the band on stage gets turned to 11, and obviously Janick is the reason why.  The way the band performs on that Donington 92 vid is incredible, so much movement, interaction and energy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2836 on: July 03, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »

Just want to say that Jannick f'n rules this instrumental part. And I will talk a lot about this in Mosh's thread when he gets to the No Prayer tour, but the amount of personal chemistry between Dave and Jannick is on clear display in this clip.

This is one thing I've always noticed since Adrian's departure and on those two tours.  The energy of the band on stage gets turned to 11, and obviously Janick is the reason why.  The way the band performs on that Donington 92 vid is incredible, so much movement, interaction and energy.

The one time I've seen them since the reunion (I'm going in July, though) it just seemed to me that Dave did all the heavy lifting, Adrian did all the seasoning, and Jannick stood in the center of the stage twirling the guitar around his neck like he was auditioning for Cinderella circa 1987.   I get that Gers doesn't suck - I'm familiar with his work with Gillan, Fish and Bruce solo - but I've yet to be convinced that he is crucial to Maiden. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2837 on: July 03, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »

The one time I've seen them since the reunion (I'm going in July, though) it just seemed to me that Dave did all the heavy lifting, Adrian did all the seasoning, and Jannick stood in the center of the stage twirling the guitar around his neck like he was auditioning for Cinderella circa 1987.   I get that Gers doesn't suck - I'm familiar with his work with Gillan, Fish and Bruce solo - but I've yet to be convinced that he is crucial to Maiden.

I think that his song writing has been stellar in the reunion era.

1. Dream of Mirrors (minus the shit intro)
2. Montsegur
3. The Legacy
4. The Book of Souls

Those are just a few examples of really very good songs that he's written in the reunion era. I don't really care for his playing, or stage antics, but I think that he's been a big part of the band through the songs that he's contributed.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2838 on: July 03, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Yeah, Janick might be a bit of an oddity as far as his stage presence goes and some might not like his playing style, but goddamn is he one of the best songwriters in the band in the reunion era. Songs like The Legacy, Dance of Death and The Book of Souls are all amazing and come straight from him.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2839 on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »

Ok, so Gers may not be "crucial" to Iron Maiden. They became international superstars before he joined, and would continue to be if he left.

And being such a Blackmore guy, Stadler, I'm surprised you don't like him more. Anyway, just in that clip alone, Jannick is acting like a fool? nut? but he's playing that solo flawlessly. He's sneaky good, and can keep a high level of playing, all while being a great showman. Personally, I don't think his strength is soloing, but, I think that may be more of a stylistic thing he tries to bring to Maiden. His solos on Tattooed Millionaire were much cleaner.

Also, the thing that nobody seems to understand, is that the Reunion Era works because of the immense personal chemistry between the guys. And I think Jannick plays an important role. He's known the guys in the band since the early 80's. Dave clearly loves being with him, as does Bruce. He gets along great with Nicko, and I know Steve totally respects his loyalty.

I just think overall, Jannick gets a bad rap, and people (not singling Stadler out) need to just relax and enjoy it. I missed out on the Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath for the sole reason of WhoTF is Tony Martin. Iron Maiden has never been more vibrant, outgoing, and creative as they have in the Reunion Era. There's a multitude of reasons, and I personally think Jannick is one of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2840 on: July 03, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
I know you're not singling me out, but let me be clear:  I'm fine with him there, and I'm not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  I didn't not see them because of him; it was where I lived.   I'm basically just saying your first sentence (and I concede he's wrote some really good songs). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2841 on: July 03, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
I like Jannick. He came into the band at a real tough time. And I think generally he gets a bad rap. People see him flopping around and all that, but I feel he's very important to the band, especially in places that no one sees.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2842 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
I like him too.  I do wish he'd clean some of his solos up live at times, but I'm a fan.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2843 on: July 03, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
I like him a lot too. He really busted his ass live when I saw them and I really appreciate that. I like his antics, they added an extra layer of icing to the cake.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: July 03, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
I like him a lot too. He really busted his ass live when I saw them and I really appreciate that. I like his antics, they added an extra layer of icing to the cake.

His antics on stage is what I like as well.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2845 on: July 03, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
I like Janick. If you get into the meat of what the three guitarists are doing on stage you'd find they all play a pretty important role.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2846 on: July 03, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
If you get into the meat of what the three guitarists are doing on stage you'd find they all play a pretty important role.

Right, I mean not that Dave and Adrian needed any help, but now they can either do 3 part harmony, or support a 2 part with rhythm underneath.

I think it took a bit for them to get it right. I find Rock In Rio kind of muddy guitarwise. They definitely worked it out by the time they wrote Dance Of Death, as Death On The Road is much cleaner. IMO of course.

Plus Jannick turned 60 this year!!
He puts the fun into Iron Maiden and the joy he has playing in the band is infectious.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2847 on: July 03, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »
I just want to know what that poor speaker on the side of the stage did to deserve getting kicked 30 times a show :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2848 on: July 03, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
So I listened to my Providence 1/25/91 recording and I'm now watching the Oslo 8/31/92 show.

Jannick was a natural replacement for Adrian. He was practically in the Maiden family. I think it's only when his style is juxtaposed with Adrian when they're both on stage that he really sticks out. He doesn't seem the least bit out of place during the 90-93 time period.

Oh, and awesome solo by Jannick on Wasting Love.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:16:52 PM by TAC »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2849 on: July 04, 2017, 01:27:03 AM »
If you get into the meat of what the three guitarists are doing on stage you'd find they all play a pretty important role.

Right, I mean not that Dave and Adrian needed any help, but now they can either do 3 part harmony, or support a 2 part with rhythm underneath.

Not being a guitar player I'm sure there's a proper explanation for that, but I was bummed that even with three guitars they couldn't do the very ending of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son the way it's on the album, but the same way it was on the original Maiden England, with the low tone rather than the high one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2850 on: July 04, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
IMO, they have never really utilised the 3 guitars as much as they should.  As Tim said though, they have improved over the years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2851 on: July 04, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
Previewing some albums for Mosh's thread. Had many run throughs of 7th Son, No Prayer, and Fear. Started some Blaze tonight, but for some reason jumped TXF and went right to VXI. Watching the Hamilton show on youtube.

If there was ever a Blaze era song that I would love for them to do with Bruce, it's The Educated Fool. I've always said that Bruce would absolutely slay that chorus. And Lightning Strikes Twice, other than the chorus, is an awesome tune. So much better live than on the ass produced studio version.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: July 05, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
Agreed about The Educated Fool, that would have been great live with Bruce.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2853 on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Got Book of Souls blasting now, prepping for my Maiden show!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2854 on: July 05, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
Have an awesome time, Brian! I've gotta wait two more weeks!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2855 on: July 05, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
Previewing some albums for Mosh's thread. Had many run throughs of 7th Son, No Prayer, and Fear. Started some Blaze tonight, but for some reason jumped TXF and went right to VXI. Watching the Hamilton show on youtube.

If there was ever a Blaze era song that I would love for them to do with Bruce, it's The Educated Fool. I've always said that Bruce would absolutely slay that chorus. And Lightning Strikes Twice, other than the chorus, is an awesome tune. So much better live than on the ass produced studio version.

Good call on The Educated Fool. Blaze really underperformed on that one imo. My pick would be Blood On the Worlds Hands.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2856 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Had a quick run through The X Factor today.

Man, that album will be a three week discussion!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2857 on: July 05, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
I've tried getting into the X factor many times. I love Di anno as much as I love dickenson, but can't get into blaze. When I listen to the debut and Killers, I am like "hell yeah, this kicks ass  :metal". When I listen X factor, I am like "man, I could be listening to the other albums right now".

On its own, its solid. But as an Iron maiden album, Its just not for me. I know people really like it and hopefully one day, I will too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2858 on: July 05, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »
It's probably the most divisive album in their discography. The opinions range from masterpiece to garbage. Can't wait for the discussion.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2859 on: July 05, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
@ Mosh, I was reading your TXF song commentaries on Maidenfans. Nice reviews. I'm with you on 2AM. Such a great song and one that I instantly loved.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2860 on: July 05, 2017, 09:42:19 PM »
2AM is one of the more overlooked Blaze songs. I think Blaze really nails it too.

I'm also looking forward to discussing TXF and the 90s in general. The less discussed periods are always more interesting than stuff like NOTB and such IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: July 06, 2017, 05:15:54 AM »
It would be hard to say if TXF is still my fav Maiden album, but it probably would be.  I love it, just so moody, perfect atmosphere and just a dark and unique album.  So underrated and unfairly written off.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2862 on: July 06, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »
It's probably the most divisive album in their discography.
It probably is.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »
SPOILERS AHEAD...

I had a good time at Maiden last night, but unfortunately, Bruce had an off night. he was wearing a sweatshirt for most of the set except when he changed outfits, and his voice literally went out a couple of times. If it was a cold, I hope he feels better soon. That sucks so bad when you have to sing around a cold.

I gotta say though, I left feeling a little underwhelmed. This was my fifth time seeing Iron Maiden, and by far my least favorite. It was a combination of what appeared to me to be a scaled back show, from the staging to the length, to the overall energy. The latter was probably due to the setlist.

I am very much in favor of a band like Maiden doing a ton off their latest release. And I am glad they did. But in retrospect, I think the set could have been revamped to pick up the energy more. TBoS is very...mid-tempo. I would have altered the set by opening how they did (If Eternity Should Fail and Speed of Light), but then I would have spent the rest of the main set on high energy classics (moving the Number of the Beast, Blood Brothers and Wasted Years encore to the main set too), and then put The Book of Souls title track in the middle as a nice climax, followed by more classics to end the set. Then, as an encore, I would have done one tune -- Empire of the Clouds.

This way, The Book of Souls album gets really good representation and a dramatic closer, but there would have been a lot more high energy stuff throughout the set.

Anyway, I'm honestly nitpicking. I had a good time, I just felt like it wasn't up to what I was used to with Maiden. Hopefully next time!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2864 on: July 06, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »
I felt that way the last time I saw Iced Earth on the Plagues tour.  It just felt uninspired - I knew that they had been on the road for about 3 years straight, and Jon wasn't his usual self.  Now we know that he had very serious spinal issues that he was dealing with, which helps explain it.  I think some of that feeling also comes from seeing bands multiple times, so the feeling of excitement wears off and it's "just another show."  That's why I've focused on seeing bands that I've never seen before, since it helps me keep the excitement factor up.

Glad you had fun - I haven't seen them since 2008, so I'm hankering for more Maiden live experiences, but then I wonder if I'll feel let down, since that 2008 tour meant so much to me.   I do agree about changing up the setlist more so they have some faster paced older songs mixed in. 

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2865 on: July 06, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
Sorry to hear they had an off night Samsara. I thought Bruce was in great form in NJ last month, so I'm hoping it's just a cold and not general rundown from being on the road since I'm seeing them again in Brooklyn in a few weeks :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2866 on: July 06, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
My "worst" Maiden concert has to be my first one - the only one I saw with Blaze, for obvious reasons, nothing against the guy but the concerts with Bruce can't be matched.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: July 06, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »
Here's a few vids (sorry for the shaking, I enjoy my concerts!):

The Trooper - https://youtu.be/2YokwcuXBPs

Blood Brothers - https://youtu.be/agueoQ28zq8

Wasted Years - https://youtu.be/l2Qkqzn2sxM

The 2008 tour was the pinnacle for me too. It was such a great tour. That was my second time seeing them (first was 2000 at Madison Square Garden in NY with Queensryche and Halford). And just to stress, the show wasn't "bad" at all. but Maiden has set the bar so high, it's tough to get that every time you see them. I'll be at the next tour for sure!  :metal

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2868 on: July 06, 2017, 09:23:07 AM »
The only time I didn't love seeing Maiden live was the AMOLAD tour. We were one of the early shows so nobody knew the album, and playing the whole thing front to back absolutely sapped the life out of the arena.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2869 on: July 06, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
The only time I didn't love seeing Maiden live was the AMOLAD tour. We were one of the early shows so nobody knew the album, and playing the whole thing front to back absolutely sapped the life out of the arena.

That was the tour they were on Ozzfest, right? I would have loved to have seen that performance. I love that record. It's one of my favorites.