Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573375 times)

DoctorAction and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PowerSlave

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2765 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
I don't think that I could come up with a top 10 (or however many songs) list for this band. However, I think that I could pick my favorite song from almost each album.

1. Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow
2. Killers - Killers
3. Number - 22 Acacia Ave
4. POM - The Trooper
5. Powerslave - Powerslave
6. SIT - Stranger in a Strange Land
7. 7th - Only the Good Die Young
8. FOTD - Judas Be My Guide
9. BNW - Dream of Mirrors
10. DOD - Paschendale
11. AMOLAD - Brighter than a Thousand Suns
12. BOS - Empire of the Clouds

I left four albums out of the mix. I don't have an opinion on The Final Frontier. I don't hate the album, but it never really left much of an impression on me. The other three albums that I didn't mention, I could care less if I ever hear them again. That's not to bash those that enjoy them. I personally can't find anything in them that interests me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2766 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »
This I could try.

Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
Killers, Powerslave, No Prayer and Fear of the Dark = title tracks
666 - Hallowed
Piece of Mind - Revelations
Somewhere in Time - Wasted Years
Seventh Son - Basically everything, maybe the title track or Infinite Dreams or Moonchild
X Factor = Sign of the Cross
Virtual XI = The Clansman
Brave New World = The Wicker Man or Dream of Mirrors
Dance of Death = heavy choice between title track and Paschendale
Matter of Life and Death = The Longest Day
The Final Frontier = Isle of Avalon
Book of Souls = Empire of the Clouds
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2767 on: June 21, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Phantom Of The Opera
Killers
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Revelations
Aces High
Sea Of Madness
The Clairvoyant
Mother Russia
Judas Be My Guide
Judgement Of Heaven
The Educated Fool
Blood Brothers
Paschendale
Different World
The Talisman
Empire Of The Clouds
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2768 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
While I find very weird and peculiar that list to say the least, there's no song on that list that made me say "OMFG why he even likes this one? this song sucks"... half of that songs probably wouldn't even be in my top 30, but they're decent enough to be interesting anyway.

Yes, very interesting. I wasn't laughing at the selections. I was laughing thinking about Stadler debating them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2769 on: June 21, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
I didn't realise I got ten more!!

5. Rime of the Ancient Mariner (mistake on my part; push everything else down one)
17. Purgatory
18.All In Your Mind
19. Sea of Madness
20. 2 Minutes To Midnight
21. Children Of The Damned
22. The Clairvoyant
23. When The Wild Wind Blows
24. The Prisoner
25. Holy Smoke

Best song (on albums not on the list):
Maiden: Strange World
Fear: Childhood's End (they all blend together though, not in a good way)
X: Sign Of The Cross
IX: The Clansmen
Brave: Out Of The Silent Planet
Life/Death: The Legacy (they all blend together though, in a good way)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: June 21, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
While I find very weird and peculiar that list to say the least, there's no song on that list that made me say "OMFG why he even likes this one? this song sucks"... half of that songs probably wouldn't even be in my top 30, but they're decent enough to be interesting anyway.

Yes, very interesting. I wasn't laughing at the selections. I was laughing thinking about Stadler debating them.

Let's do it!  "Back in the Village", m*****f*****!!!!

Haha.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2771 on: June 21, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Oddly enough, as I said in Mosh's thread, when Powerslave first came out, Back In The Village was the only track I really liked. But while the album has aged well, the song, not so much.

Love the love for Another Life. It's a Top 5 Dianno era track for me as well.

Tailgunner? Hmm...It's much better live than the studio version, but ....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
Oddly enough, as I said in Mosh's thread, when Powerslave first came out, Back In The Village was the only track I really liked. But while the album has aged well, the song, not so much.

Love the love for Another Life. It's a Top 5 Dianno era track for me as well.

Tailgunner? Hmm...It's much better live than the studio version, but ....

I love the intro to that song.   It's tough, though, because I don't think the rest of that album is that strong (and I don't like Bruce's vocal evolution on that and the subsequent record) so it may be topaz in and among zirconia, as opposed to a diamond among diamonds.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2773 on: June 21, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
No Prayer and Fear were both terrible for Bruce, but we'll discuss this in Mosh's thread when we get to those albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2774 on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »
I must say that the quality of fan videos being shot on this tour is amazing!

Here is the Minnesota show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9wPkq-Eas

But THIS is my favorite video so far! ;D

Watch the crown hit frenzy mode when Doctor Doctor kicks in :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu7wKxLRXXE&t=604s

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2775 on: June 23, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
Watch the crown hit frenzy mode when Doctor Doctor kicks in :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu7wKxLRXXE&t=604s

That's one of the many things that I love about their shows. By now Doctor Doctor has become such an habit that it's already the beginning of the party itself, people going crazy over the slow beginning and humming along to it 'cause they know the show is about to start.

A minor nitpick - I understand everything runs on the clock and that when it's showtime, it's showtime, but it's a dead giveaway when they fade out abruptly the house music. It's nicer (happened to me some times) when Doctor Doctor starts after the last house song ends, like if it's another song.... but you suddenly realize it's DD and that Maiden are about to come out!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2776 on: June 23, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
I actually love the fade out. It comes out of nowhere and you know it's time to get pumped.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2777 on: June 23, 2017, 06:01:54 PM »
I actually love the fade out. It comes out of nowhere and you know it's time to get pumped.

I do too. Just like the lights going out. It's like BAM, the moment is upon us.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2778 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »
I've been listening to Doctor Doctor nonstop since the show. One question though, why DD? Is there a connection to the band?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2779 on: June 23, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
No particular reason that I know of other than Steve being a big UFO fan. Also, it's the live version of Doctor Doctor from Strangers In the Night.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2780 on: June 23, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
Right, and they also covered Doctor Doctor during the Blaze Era. Pete Way was a huge influence on Steve Harris, from his look to his stage mannerisms. In fact, Steve gives the forward on Pete's recently released autobiography.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2781 on: June 23, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
Look at the shit eating grin on Steve's face meeting Pete. Of course Pete is wasted!

Years later, Pete is still wasted!  :lol

Iron Maiden took Waysted out for the Somewhere In Time tour. After Waysted  opened the show at MSG, they went and played L'Amour. After Maiden's show, Steve went and joined them on stage.

Steve also included a pic of Pete Way (and Blackfoot's Greg T. Walker) in the World Piece Tour '83 tour program.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:44:36 PM by TAC »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2782 on: June 24, 2017, 04:43:51 AM »
Aside from Steve probably just liking the song very much, it's a perfect "After this song the show start" kind of tune because it's upbeat, happy, puts you in a good mood, and the slow intro is a nice buildup of tension.

I also love the contrast with their bombastic, orchestral intros - first they announce the show is about to start with an happy song, and then lights go out and starts a eerie and majestic orchestral intro (most of the times anyway). Like, "Ok, you had your fun, you're happy to be here, now shit is about to get real, be prepared for Iron Maiden!!!!!"  :metal

Also the outro song, Always Look at the Bright Side of Life, is a great choice. A silly song that tells you literally to do that - don't be sad 'cause the show is over, be happy that you've just witnessed Iron Maiden live!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2783 on: June 24, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
Just wanted to ask at what time did the show end...Driving to San Antonio later today.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2784 on: June 24, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »
I was in Dallas last night (first ever Maiden show!!) and it ended around 11 if I recall correctly
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2785 on: June 24, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
Just wanted to ask at what time did the show end...Driving to San Antonio later today.
Answered in the other forum, too. Ghost 730. Doctor Doctor 850. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life 1050.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2786 on: June 24, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »

I do too. Just like the lights going out. It's like BAM, the moment is upon us.
I've seen it both ways and either is fine.

Best Doctor Doctor crowd I've seen was at the Forum in LA. Everybody there knew all the words and sang proudly. Can't find video of it online, but it made me immensely happy to be down there amongst them.

My nitpick is with the intro videos. They don't add anything and disrupt the natural flow of things. Metallica has the same problem. Ecstasy of Gold is the ultimate in intro music, and then they go into a 90 second video. Last year the Ed Force 1 video at least was thematically related. The new one really made no sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2787 on: June 24, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
Also, they seemed to accidentally set their devil on fire last night. You only see the beginning of it at the very end of the song, when he collapses behind the stage, but they spent another minute or so commenting and watching back there where we couldn't see it. Nicko frantically calling attention to the fact that they're on fire (literally). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t7f_LaRdd0
E.F. Benson

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2788 on: June 24, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
Answered in the other forum, too. Ghost 730. Doctor Doctor 850. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life 1050.

Thanks  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2789 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
Oh no...did they change that awesome "Airplane crash in the Mayan jungle" intro video?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2790 on: June 24, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
Oh no...did they change that awesome "Airplane crash in the Mayan jungle" intro video?
Yup. Presumably because EF1 is no longer involved. Not sure what the new one was supposed to be about.
E.F. Benson

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2791 on: June 24, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
Yup. Presumably because EF1 is no longer involved. Not sure what the new one was supposed to be about.

I'll check it out in Toronto next month.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: June 24, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
Also, they seemed to accidentally set their devil on fire last night. You only see the beginning of it at the very end of the song, when he collapses behind the stage, but they spent another minute or so commenting and watching back there where we couldn't see it. Nicko frantically calling attention to the fact that they're on fire (literally). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t7f_LaRdd0

I'm not entirely sure it's the Devil that's on fire.  Just judging by this video, it seems something else might be.  Only because that's inflatable, I'd imagine it would have popped and you can see the first flame around the 4:24 mark and then it only gets bigger with a fire extinguisher going off exactly when the song ends and the blow up devil shrinks.  Hilarious  :rollin I guess we'll know for sure if the devil is OK for the next show

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2793 on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »

I'm not entirely sure it's the Devil that's on fire.  Just judging by this video, it seems something else might be.  Only because that's inflatable, I'd imagine it would have popped and you can see the first flame around the 4:24 mark and then it only gets bigger with a fire extinguisher going off exactly when the song ends and the blow up devil shrinks.  Hilarious  :rollin I guess we'll know for sure if the devil is OK for the next show
There's not enough pressure in it to pop. It'd just deflate. However it does seem the devil was spared. Looks to be the stage that's on fire. You can see it start to go awry about 4.30 in. I'm pretty sure Nicko was pointing at something burning behind the riser, though. In any case it wasn't a big deal. Just pretty funny in a "oh, shit, we're on fire!" sort of way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keyq0nhplEs
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2794 on: June 25, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2795 on: June 25, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »
YES!  We saw that guy as we were leaving.  He was playing The Number of the Beast then went straight into Wasted Years without missing a beat.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: June 26, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »

There's not enough pressure in it to pop. It'd just deflate. However it does seem the devil was spared. Looks to be the stage that's on fire. You can see it start to go awry about 4.30 in. I'm pretty sure Nicko was pointing at something burning behind the riser, though. In any case it wasn't a big deal. Just pretty funny in a "oh, shit, we're on fire!" sort of way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keyq0nhplEs

Not what I heard.  I heard that Harry was trying to get a message to Nicko, and he couldn't hear it, and it fucked up his drumming, then he got mad, and they had a big fight backstage.   Some cunt recorded it.    You'd think these guys would have mellowed by now. 

;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2797 on: June 26, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
Do you even sax bro?

:metal

Awesome!!

YES!  We saw that guy as we were leaving.  He was playing The Number of the Beast then went straight into Wasted Years without missing a beat.

and awesome!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2798 on: June 26, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
Just watched that now and holy shit thats awesome.  This guy should just tour with them and do this outside, look at the tips he is getting. I'd throw some cash in as well, that's great.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2799 on: June 26, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »
So I inherited some iTunes gift cards that my kids weren't using and I just ordered the mp3 albums of Paul Dianno's Battlezone's Fighting Back and Children Of Madness.

This was way too long coming. I had these back in the 80's and played the shit out of them.