Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572507 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2730 on: June 09, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
Was that the show from Scream for me Brazil?

Yes.  :tup
Awesome, one of my favourite live vocal perfomances by Bruce.  :tup

Very awesome, I really wish I had gotten a chance to see Bruce on his solo tour performing those songs.

Offline Art

« Reply #2731 on: June 09, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
Not only his performance was awesome, but the band was incredible, too.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2732 on: June 09, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
Anyway, about The Book of Souls live - it is just me feeling like that, or do they stretch out the final riff to allow Bruce to complete his "fight" with Eddie, until he finally says the final "The book of souls" that ends the song?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2733 on: June 11, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
I just wanted to say that I was so impressed by how much fun they all looked like they were having, and their interactions with each other. It was like watching best friends on stage. I swear, I felt like I was watching a band that literally just started and was just full of passion and energy. Just utterly incredible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2734 on: June 11, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
I just wanted to say that I was so impressed by how much fun they all looked like they were having, and their interactions with each other. It was like watching best friends on stage. I swear, I felt like I was watching a band that literally just started and was just full of passion and energy. Just utterly incredible.

They have always been that way, but there seems to be something special about this tour. Bruce's cancer bout really had an impact on them, and yes, it does seem that they are really enjoying this.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2735 on: June 11, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
Nicko on Eddie Trunk lastweek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_7jVrdzGoI&spfreload=10

Nicko is there for the entire show. It is really worth listening to the whole thing.

Great discussions on things like building setlists, even possibly one day playing Empire (and Alexander) with a one off symphony.

His Roger Daltrey story is hilarious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2736 on: June 12, 2017, 01:19:02 AM »
Great discussions on things like building setlists, even possibly one day playing Empire (and Alexander) with a one off symphony.

YES!

As I said earlier, the long epic songs and the reunion era stuff is where Maiden should pick from for an orchestral show, they suit more an orchestral arrangement. We don't really need to hear 2 Minutes to Midnight and The Trooper exactly as they are, but with violins copying the guitars.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2737 on: June 12, 2017, 02:03:50 AM »
That was a great talk, sad to hear how his friendship with Clive frooze after he got the Maiden gig and that they never really reconciled until his illness.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2738 on: June 12, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
Dumb question, but I'm going to the concert with my dad who hates when musicians get political. Does Bruce get political? I've seen clips where he's pretty fair game and calls everyone lunatics, but does he go further than that? I just wanted to know--dumb question.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2739 on: June 12, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
You can check out some of the song intros on youtube. Cram has seen them a few times already. Maybe send him a PM.

Bruce hates all politicians. If your Dad voted for Trump, he shouldn't be offended. Bruce hates them all.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2740 on: June 12, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »
AFAIK the only time Bruce even mentioned Trump or politics on this tour is on the short US run when he mentioned him offhand during his Book Of Souls intro and said something about "give him a chance" (in a humorous tone). Keep in mind this was back during the primary season when nobody was taking Trump seriously. Other than that, Bruce tends to stay away from politics in general. I don't think I can recall a single politically charged Bruce rant in Maiden's history.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2741 on: June 13, 2017, 01:45:17 AM »
In this tour he mainly has three talking slots. First he remarks about young generations of fans, then explains one of the most important songs of the album, and in the encore he has a positive message about fans' unity. Nothing political.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2742 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
Yeah, don't remember anything that was at all partisan.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2743 on: June 13, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
When they played in Rio in early 2016 the long process to impeach then president Dilma Roussef had just started, and Bruce mentioned something about it - I can't remember what exactly.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2744 on: June 13, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »
The only time I remember Bruce mentioning Trump was last year while introducind The Book of souls somewhere in USA. Rambling about what could have destroyed the Mayan legacy and made them mysteriously disappear, he joked "could have been Donald Trump, could have been anything."  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2745 on: June 13, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
I'll need to look on YouTube later to be sure, but from what I remember, Bruce's speech for The Book of Souls when I saw them live last Friday was definitely in reference to Trump imo, even if he didn't explicitly name him in particular. It was, iirc, a thinly veiled reference to "leaders who could potentially blow everything up."

Could be misremembering it, but that's what I recall. I'll check later.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2746 on: June 13, 2017, 06:07:11 PM »
Yeah, both times I saw them the intro to BoS spoke of great civilizations fucking everything up. Light years from Roger Waters or Ted Nugent, though. It's simply 30-45 seconds leading up to the Myans by citing other similar civilizations.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2747 on: June 15, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »
I don't know the whole story, but Apparently on some German show in 87, they were told it was gonna be a pantomime lip sync performance a la "Top of the Pops" style and they did it Maiden style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIol63oAmI

and its classic  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2748 on: June 15, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
I don't know the whole story, but Apparently on some German show in 87, they were told it was gonna be a pantomime lip sync performance a la "Top of the Pops" style and they did it Maiden style

This story is told in one of their first home videos, 12 Wasted Years.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2749 on: June 15, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
Just saw them May 16 in Glasgow, the 17th in Aberdeen, and then we drove down to Liverpool on the 20th. All three were amazing shows. Aberdeen was probably the best. The Hydro Arena is smaller, maybe 5-7,000 people. Festival seating only, so it felt much more intimate. Was on the rail, center stage. Bruce was fucking incredible.

Shinedown opened all the shows in Europe. They did a great job. Didn't really know the band at all. But the fans, especially in Scotland were really into them.

If you don't have tickets yet, now that they're in NA, get them. You don't want to miss this tour.

Catching them in Vegas, and then in Toronto in July. I can't wait!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2750 on: June 20, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
If I had to pick a favorite Maiden song, then it would probably be a tie between 22 Acacia ave and Hallowed be thy name.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2751 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »

Would have been much cooler if they'd played it seriously but all played different instruments. That way only the real fans would be in on the joke.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2752 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »
If I had to pick a favorite Maiden song, then it would probably be a tie between 22 Acacia ave and Hallowed be thy name.

I'm with you. Hallowed is my fave and 22 is in the back half of my Top 10.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2753 on: June 21, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »

I'm with you. Hallowed is my fave and 22 is in the back half of my Top 10.

For my top spot it's probably between Hallowed and Revelations.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2754 on: June 21, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
Revelations would be my pick as well, but an honorary one - it was the song that made me fall in love with Iron Maiden and turned me into a lifelong heavy metal fan.

And well, it's a kickass song anyway. Removing the emotional attachment to the song, I couldn't really chose any favorite among the other countless masterpieces they wrote.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2755 on: June 21, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »
Guys, it's not my fault.   I couldn't stop it.  I tried, but it was no use...

Top Ten Maiden Songs (Stadler version)
1. Total Eclipse
2. Another Life
3. Back In The Village
4. Journeyman
5. Where Eagles Dare
6. If Eternity Should Fail
7. The Number Of The Beast
8. Still Life
9. Infinite Dreams
10. Murders In The Rue Morgue
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Isle of Avalon
13. Wildest Dreams
14. Tailgunner
15. Stranger In A Strange Land

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:50 AM »
I don't know which is my favourite Maiden track, but I remember loving Aces High when I got into them. I guess that one is still up there among the very best.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2757 on: June 21, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »
Guys, it's not my fault.   I couldn't stop it.  I tried, but it was no use...

Top Ten Maiden Songs (Stadler version)
1. Total Eclipse
2. Another Life
3. Back In The Village
4. Journeyman
5. Where Eagles Dare
6. If Eternity Should Fail
7. The Number Of The Beast
8. Still Life
9. Infinite Dreams
10. Murders In The Rue Morgue
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Isle of Avalon
13. Wildest Dreams
14. Tailgunner
15. Stranger In A Strange Land

:lol

That is one interesting list.

And I don't mean any disrespect by laughing. I think it's awesome that you think so highly of some of these songs. I really do. Please don't take it as "TAC is being an ass." Hopefully you won't. What made me giggle was that I was thinking that your reputation as a debater is obviously well earned.

My Top 15 is probably just as odd! :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:23:12 AM by TAC »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2759 on: June 21, 2017, 08:26:03 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2760 on: June 21, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
While I find very weird and peculiar that list to say the least, there's no song on that list that made me say "OMFG why he even likes this one? this song sucks"... half of that songs probably wouldn't even be in my top 30, but they're decent enough to be interesting anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2761 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Are you talking about my list or Stadler's?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2762 on: June 21, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »
Stadler's, only now I clicked on the link... well, your list is way more peculiar  :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2764 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »
Stadler's, only now I clicked on the link... well, your list is way more peculiar  :lol

:lol  Well, for reference, here's my complete top 25 from back then:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36365.msg1592859#msg1592859  I definitely would change things up a bit if I re-did it now.  But it's still a pretty good list, IMO.