Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572936 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2310 on: February 10, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
Bruce is amazing on it in the verses. The song just picks you up and takes you away.

Yup, he did it in one take too I believe.  My favorite on TFF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2311 on: February 10, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »
Holy shit, I am listening to To tame a land and JUST realized its about Dune. Hell yeah, I love this band

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2312 on: February 10, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
Holy shit, I am listening to To tame a land and JUST realized its about Dune. Hell yeah, I love this band

So how many years has it been?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2313 on: February 10, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »
Since 2009 I guess. But that's with a lot of songs honestly. My biggest issue is that my commute never lets me get to To tame a land, so I was just listening it now, actually concentrating on the lyrics (also I've been on a Dune binge lately) and it all came together.

I was like "Did he just say Muad dib?" It was magical

And while I am at it, I want to give props to Vice City for first getting me in to iron maiden with 2 mins to midnight. First time I ever heard them and then I slowly started getting the albums.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:09:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: February 10, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
Awesome song, I believe they wanted to call the song Dune but the author didn't allow them or something along those lines. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2315 on: February 10, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »
If they would ever play that live again my life would be complete.

Throw in Alexander the great and I can't even....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2316 on: February 10, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »
Awesome song, I believe they wanted to call the song Dune but the author didn't allow them or something along those lines.

Correct.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2317 on: February 10, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »
My respect for Frank Herbert definitely has dropped. When a god tier band wants to immortalize your work in an epic song, you say "yes master"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2318 on: February 10, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
My respect for Frank Herbert definitely has dropped. When a god tier band wants to immortalize your work in an epic song, you say "yes master"

Well, you have to remember that this was early 1983, and Maiden had caught some flak for The Number Of The Beast being Satanically influenced. He really wanted no part of that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: February 10, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »

Well, you have to remember that this was early 1983, and Maiden had caught some flak for The Number Of The Beast being Satanically influenced. He really wanted no part of that.

I thought he saw they were a metal band and was immediately not interested in letting them use the name.  Sucks for him, probably would have helped sell some books.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2320 on: February 10, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »
Bruce pretty much made sure he was called an asshole in every city in the world that year! :lol

To Tame A Land is such an awesome title! :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: February 10, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
Yea the title is sick, I'd love for them to bring that back live.  At least it was played unlike Alexander

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2322 on: February 10, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
such a classic song!!  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2323 on: February 10, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Great song, but I don't think Bruce could still pull off that bridge.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2324 on: February 11, 2017, 12:10:39 AM »
I have a very fond love for Piece of Mind, so many great tracks on that album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2325 on: February 11, 2017, 12:31:19 AM »
Piece Of Mind might be my favorite IM record, I think somewhere in this thread I have ranked it at number one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2326 on: February 11, 2017, 04:42:01 AM »
I have a very fond love for Piece of Mind, so many great tracks on that album.

Piece Of Mind might be my favorite IM record, I think somewhere in this thread I have ranked it at number one.

I'm a Piece of Mind fanboy as well. Sound is great, songs are mindblowingly awesome, Bruce is emperor of the vocals and it contains the song that had the avalanche effect of making me love Bruce's voice, Iron Maiden and heavy metal in general: Revelations. I still call it my favorite album from them, even though there are dinosaurs walking with humans.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2327 on: February 11, 2017, 06:06:02 AM »
Yeah, Revelations is a top ten IM song and one of Bruce's finest vocal performances.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2328 on: February 11, 2017, 06:07:12 AM »
Yeah, Revelations is a top ten IM song and one of Bruce's finest vocal performances.  :metal

"She came to me with a serpent's kiss
As the Eye of the Sun rose on her lips
Moonlight catches silver tears I cry"

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2329 on: February 11, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »
Cool story (I think):  Iron Maiden, New Haven Coliseum, some time in '83, Coney Hatch (SUCKED) and Fastway (AMAZING) as the opening bands.  I'm with my friend, and we have front row on the side, so we're kind of looking down from stage left on the band (I can also see the backstage area). 

Maiden had a desk on the side of the stage; In between CH and Fastway, Bruce came out and was talking with the guy at that desk (it was kind of a mixing board, but not the main one that was back on the floor).  He was cool; shorts, and black leather jacket.  I yelled down to him and he was very nice; waved and said "hey mate!".   Later, Maiden takes the stage to "Where Eagles Dare", and the band is playing and he goes out for his cue, and his mike is not working.  He looks over, yells something, but starts singing it anyway, and I swear, you could hear him ACOUSTICALLY over the band playing at full volume.  A friend said it was probably my brain putting the vocals in where they belong, but I swear I heard him singing.  After the first verse, he came back over, and he's on the roadie at the desk in front of us, yelling (it sounded a lot like "Mission from 'arry", if you're familiar) and he goes back for the second verse, and after the first line or so, the mike kicks on and you can hear him (it took a couple words to realize he was miked, so it sounded like he was screaming) but it was still very cool.    Bruce has pretty much been my favorite front man from that point on. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2330 on: February 11, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
 :lol

You aren't the only one to see Bruce yelling at the side soundboard guy.

Before I got on stage for Heaven Can Wait at MSG in 2008, the power infamously went out during Powerslave.  I was sitting in the first few rows on the side of the stage behind the side soundboard guy.  Bruce came soaring back there and yelling at the guy.  I could hear it but not make out words.  He was intense, and then came back out to the stage and started kicking a soccer ball to entertain the crowd.  Amazing.  :metal

https://youtu.be/jMqoOLlvYYw?t=7m53s Time stamped it for the end for Bruce's short but sweet speech to continue the show  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2331 on: February 11, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
So I'm at work now and I had to do some desk work so I put on a Maiden shuffle on Spotify.
Afraid To Shoot Strangers came up and it stopped me dead in my tracks. Damn what a fantastic song. It's been a while since I really just sat and listened to it. Amazing track.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2332 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Afraid To Shoot Strangers pretty much wrote the blueprint on the way Maiden structure their songs now.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2333 on: February 11, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
I LOVE that little acoustic part at the end of The Prophecy.  :heart
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:22:14 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2334 on: February 11, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
If you've never heard Blaze's live version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's the ONLY Bruce song that I thought Blaze did even better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2335 on: February 11, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
I don't think Blaze was better, but it's definitely his best Bruce song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2336 on: February 11, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »

Yeah, I agree.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: February 12, 2017, 05:43:01 AM »

Yeah, I agree.

Yup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: February 12, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »
Blaze did okay on quite a few.  Strangers was his best though.  Wrathchild, Heaven Can Wait and Evil That Men Do were pretty solid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: February 13, 2017, 02:26:41 AM »
His version of Strangers was the first I heard of that song, since my introduction to IM was the Best Of The Beast compilation.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2340 on: February 13, 2017, 06:41:32 AM »

I remember I used to obsesively watch Live After Death during my teens when I thought I was the biggest fan in the world, atleast next to my buddy how introduced me to them. Way before internet so my worldview was pretty limited.  :D Anyway the part when Bruce asks everyone "can you feel it" still sticks with me to this day even when I hear the album version.  :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2341 on: February 13, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Any other 'Somewhere in Time' fans here?   It's my fav Maiden album.  The title track and 'Sea of Madness' is in my opinion are the lost Maiden classics that they should play live much more than they did.

Also I'm one of the few fans who like 'No Prayer'.  I'm not saying it's a great album, but for me it's miles better than the other three 90's albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2342 on: February 13, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »
I prefer TXF to No Prayer, but I do agree that it's a lot better than FOTD and VXI. There's some really questionable stuff on No Prayer (Bring Your Daughter, I'm looking at you), but when it's good (like the title track and Run Silent Run Deep), it's really good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2343 on: February 13, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »
I prefer TXF to No Prayer, but I do agree that it's a lot better than FOTD and VXI. There's some really questionable stuff on No Prayer (Bring Your Daughter, I'm looking at you), but when it's good (like the title track and Run Silent Run Deep), it's really good.

Bring your Daughter isn't a classic to say the least!  but at least it's not boring like several songs on Fear of the Dark - I swear to God that album sometimes gets a free pass because of the title track.  I think it's easily the worst Maiden album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2344 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:44 AM »

I remember I used to obsesively watch Live After Death during my teens when I thought I was the biggest fan in the world, atleast next to my buddy how introduced me to them. Way before internet so my worldview was pretty limited.  :D Anyway the part when Bruce asks everyone "can you feel it" still sticks with me to this day even when I hear the album version.  :lol

Same when I hear any other version of Flight of Icarus, I always add

As the sun breaks above the crowd
An old man stands on the hill
LET IT GO!!!!