Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572191 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2275 on: February 02, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
I was there in the SCFMB show.  :metal

Still the best show i've seen, Bruce was amazing and that band was incredible.

I was at the Rio de Janeiro show on that tour! The Bruce's band at time was killer live and in studio :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2276 on: February 03, 2017, 07:50:39 PM »
It's the only song from the fantastic LaD that I really don't like. FoI played faster totally killed the mood of this excellent song. Interesting that I read somewhere that Steve Harris don't like that studio version, because it's slower. So, I guess Steve and Nicko "rushed" FoI live because Steve wanted that way.
Exactly. There are several Maiden songs like this, but it is particularly a point of frustration when it's a song that Adrian wrote. Wasted Years is another good example, there are many versions out there where Adrian plays the intro at a steady/slow tempo and then it speeds up once Steve and Nicko join in.

It works out though. There is a live video out there of Adrian playing Wasted Years with a solo band and the tempo is so slow that it drags. On the other hand, Maiden were playing songs at ridiculous speeds in the early 90s (see A Real Live Dead One). They need each other to balance it out. The tempos they use now is one reason why the current lineup is so immense live. They don't play too fast anymore, but they push the tempo just enough to give the songs a nice energy.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2277 on: February 03, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »
I feel like the perfect FOI version is in the middle of the POM version and the LAD version.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2278 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
It sounded good in 83 and 84, just Bruce wasn't as good live as he was in the late 90s/early 00s.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2279 on: February 03, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »
Mosh, I assume you're the same Mosh on Maidenfans. If you don't mind, how old are you and where are you in the world?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2280 on: February 03, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
Mosh, I assume you're the same Mosh on Maidenfans. If you don't mind, how old are you and where are you in the world?

:lol Dude you are one nosy mofo!  :lol
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2281 on: February 03, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
 :lol I'm 20 and from Denver, CO. My dad took me to see them in 2003 and they've been my favorite band ever since. Wasn't around for the 80s but I've heard all of the live albums and a bunch of bootlegs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2282 on: February 04, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »

:lol Dude you are one nosy mofo!  :lol

Butt out, bro! :lol

I ask mainly so I can understand their perspective.

:lol I'm 20 and from Denver, CO. My dad took me to see them in 2003 and they've been my favorite band ever since. Wasn't around for the 80s but I've heard all of the live albums and a bunch of bootlegs.
Cool. I love the fact that they have made such an impression on today's kids. BTW, the TACs were in Denver last summer.

It sounded good in 83 and 84, 

Good call. I have a bunch of boots on my iPod. I checked Chicago and Ipswich '83 as well as Ipswich and London '84 and FOI has a great pace. But in Copenhagen, just a few weeks after London, it feels sped up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: February 04, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
Cool. I love the fact that they have made such an impression on today's kids. BTW, the TACs were in Denver last summer.

It sounded good in 83 and 84, 

Good call. I have a bunch of boots on my iPod. I checked Chicago and Ipswich '83 as well as Ipswich and London '84 and FOI has a great pace. But in Copenhagen, just a few weeks after London, it feels sped up.

Love Denver, also I have that Ipswich 83 boot as well  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2284 on: February 04, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2285 on: February 04, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
Denver is very close to one of my favorite places I have ever been in my life, breckenridge  :heart

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2286 on: February 04, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »
Nice to see some Denver love, it's a great place to live.

Ipswich is a good one. Not only is it a great performance, but it was before the album came out so those songs are new to most of the audience. Hearing The Trooper before it became a live staple is something unique. I always thought it would've been daring if they did that with TFF in 2010, play 5 or 6 songs from the album before it comes out. That was a great setlist anyway.

It is also a shame we have never gotten a proper release of a show from the POM tour. There's Dortmund 83 but it's incomplete and, ironically, missing the rarer songs from POM (Still Life, To Tame a Land, etc).

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2287 on: February 05, 2017, 03:48:19 AM »
It's the only song from the fantastic LaD that I really don't like. FoI played faster totally killed the mood of this excellent song. Interesting that I read somewhere that Steve Harris don't like that studio version, because it's slower. So, I guess Steve and Nicko "rushed" FoI live because Steve wanted that way.
Exactly. There are several Maiden songs like this, but it is particularly a point of frustration when it's a song that Adrian wrote. Wasted Years is another good example, there are many versions out there where Adrian plays the intro at a steady/slow tempo and then it speeds up once Steve and Nicko join in.

It works out though. There is a live video out there of Adrian playing Wasted Years with a solo band and the tempo is so slow that it drags. On the other hand, Maiden were playing songs at ridiculous speeds in the early 90s (see A Real Live Dead One). They need each other to balance it out. The tempos they use now is one reason why the current lineup is so immense live. They don't play too fast anymore, but they push the tempo just enough to give the songs a nice energy.

I think it's just a casualty of touring, songs get sped up and no-one realises.  I also think tempos are more controlled now because Nicko has trouble playing things too fast - I remember him saying that Phantom of the Opera had to be played a bit slower because he had trouble keeping up with the original tempo. You can definitely tell on that one, and I think it works well.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2288 on: February 05, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
It's definitely natural for songs to speed up as the tour goes on, but Steve and Nicko play naturally fast to begin with. If you listen closely to the reunion era stuff you'll hear them pushing the tempo a lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:11 AM »
I appreciate how the band have consciously kept the tempo of Wasted Years relatively close to the original on this tour, well done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2290 on: February 09, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
Overall, I really like TFF a lot, but I found that I never made it through the whole thing since its so damn long. So I trimmed some songs from it, just for its shear length. Like it flirts with being a double album with almost 80 mins of music, but isn't quite there as TBOS is (Which I think is solid from beginning to end)

I took off Isles of avalon and the alchemist. They are fine, but I want to get to the later songs and now I am able to with each listen.

I wish they would have trimmed Isles of avalon down just a tad. There's great parts in it, but it takes its time to get going. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2291 on: February 09, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »
Avalon is easily one of the best on the album IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2292 on: February 09, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »
Avalon is definitely a mouthful, but it's an impressive song.  It's amazing that Iron Maiden put out a song like that so deep in their career.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: February 09, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »
Avalon is definitely a mouthful, but it's an impressive song.  It's amazing that Iron Maiden put out a song like that so deep in their career.

And they keep doing so.  They push the boundaries and you can't do anything but simply applaud them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2294 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:28 PM »

And they keep doing so.  They push the boundaries and you can't do anything but simply applaud them.

Yes they do. I know they catch some flak for some clichés in their songwriting, but they are a band that is NOT standing still. Their writing and playing continue to improve. The Reunion Era is nothing short of amazing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2295 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
Avalon is the best of TFF, you can't just leave that one out  :omg:

Completely agree that they don't rest on their laurels. They have their style and everything they do is recognizable as Iron Maiden, but they are not writing the same song over and over, there is definitely change and progression in their songwriting and I applaud them for that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2296 on: February 10, 2017, 01:22:18 AM »
Avalon really is amazing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2297 on: February 10, 2017, 01:28:03 AM »
Glad to see all the love for Isle of Avalon!

Doing a bit of alternate history... Iron Maiden always had a single song that dictated the theme for the whole album, for example Powerslave is the only song about Egypt, if the album would have been called Rime of the Ancient Mariner, we would have had a ship on the cover.

By this line of reasoning, can you imagine if the single song The Final Frontier wouldn't dictate the futuristic theme of the album, but Isle of Avalon would have been chosen as a title track instead giving the cover and the whole stage set a celtic, fantasy vibe? it could have been beyond cheesy,but done right, it would have been great!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2298 on: February 10, 2017, 02:56:15 AM »
Isle of Avalon is my third favourite Iron Maiden song ever. It's amazing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2299 on: February 10, 2017, 05:34:47 AM »
Ok, you guys have convinced me. Isle of Avalon stays

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2300 on: February 10, 2017, 05:36:00 AM »
Ok, you guys have convinced me. Isle of Avalon stays

:tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2301 on: February 10, 2017, 06:49:43 AM »
Take my vote for Avalon being the best of the album, and one of the best in the reunion era, in my opinion. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: February 10, 2017, 07:22:55 AM »
Eh, my least favorite on TFF besides S15.  But I also don't like TFF as much as the rest of this forum.  The song definitely has some cool moments and is a pretty unique sound for IM, just don't like the overall end product of the song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2303 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »
Avalon is actually my least favorite of the TFF epics.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: February 10, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
The Talisman is untouchable.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2305 on: February 10, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »

I LOVE that song. Incredible! That is my favorite Reunion Era song.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2306 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »
The Talisman is actually my least favorite of the TFF epics.

FTFM, but to each his own

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: February 10, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »

When the album first came out, for a while this was my least fav of the epics.  Now I'd say it's my fav, this song is magic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2308 on: February 10, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
That song came with a built-in advantage for me, since the first version I heard was the live version on En Vivo!  I still rank a lot of other songs on the album a lot higher, but at least I like it, whereas I might have just glossed over it and not paid it as much attention if not for the amazing live version.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2309 on: February 10, 2017, 03:42:10 PM »
Bruce is amazing on it in the verses. The song just picks you up and takes you away.