Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572615 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2240 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:13 AM »
Listening through A Matter Of Life and Death.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2241 on: January 30, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
I was just listening to that this morning. Soo damn good. Currently on Piece of mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2242 on: January 30, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
Don't look to.... don't look to.... don't look to....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2243 on: January 30, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........

To me that is Maiden's most annoying chorus. I like the song but there's a few too many No More Lies lines in the chorus.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2244 on: January 30, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »
No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........No More Liiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeesssssss..........

To me that is Maiden's most annoying chorus. I like the song but there's a few too many No More Lies lines in the chorus.

Agreed. I usually skip this song.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2245 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
Don't look to.... don't look to.... don't look to....

There could've certainly done some editing there. But that ending! :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2246 on: January 30, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot all about Don't Look To. That is easily my least favorite Maiden song.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2247 on: January 30, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
I just wanted to give mad props to McBrain. Dude will be 65 this summer and he is still kicking major ass.  :metal

They all are really

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2248 on: January 30, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot all about Don't Look To. That is easily my least favorite Maiden song.

It's not perfect, but I really like it. As with pretty much all of the Blaze era, it feels like one big Demo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2249 on: January 30, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
I just feel like the repetition....which had begun to rear its ugly head in a *small* way on Somewhere in Time (but was still at tolerable levels)...got *completely* out of control on VXI.     Unfortunately, I felt like the entire reunion era tends to suffer from the same lazy chorus writing (i.e. let's repeat the name of the song 8 times and BOOM....instant chorus).     The exception is A Matter of Life and Death, which only has *ONE* song that suffers from the "rinse, lather, repeat" syndrome.   One song on the whole album tends to be tolerable.   When it becomes 3 or more songs, the album gets tedious. 

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2250 on: January 30, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »
I do not think The Book of Souls album suffered from the  "repeat a line over and over again" as a chorus.  Or at least, not like "Brave New World" "Wicker Man", "Blood Brothers," and "The Final Frontier" problems.  I guess the exception is probably If Eternity Should Fail and Speed of Light.  Although... The Red and the Black probably had too many "Woah!"s.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2251 on: January 30, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
Actually, you're right.  And it was one of the reasons I actually really liked Book of Souls.  Thank you for that correction. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2252 on: January 30, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
I just feel like the repetition....which had begun to rear its ugly head in a *small* way on Somewhere in Time (but was still at tolerable levels)...got *completely* out of control on VXI.     Unfortunately, I felt like the entire reunion era tends to suffer from the same lazy chorus writing (i.e. let's repeat the name of the song 8 times and BOOM....instant chorus).     The exception is A Matter of Life and Death, which only has *ONE* song that suffers from the "rinse, lather, repeat" syndrome.   One song on the whole album tends to be tolerable.   When it becomes 3 or more songs, the album gets tedious.
I generally disagree that repetitiveness is a problem with the reunion albums, but I'm glad you distinguished AMOLAD from that criticism. A lot of people jump on that album for being repetitive when really it hardly is. Very progressive and adventurous.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: January 31, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
I personally never had a problem with the repetitiveness as long as the song and what's being repeated is good, which in most cases it is.  I love No More Lies for example.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2254 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:21 AM »
Dance of Death was something to behold when it comes to avoid repetitions.

Out of the two longest songs of the album, one had no chorus at all, and the other had it repeated only twice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2255 on: January 31, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
Since tickets went on sale last week, I've been on a huge Maiden binge. Tonight I'm listening to Live After Death. Damn. Just Damn. Spectacular. Love how this album is mixed. With Dave in my left ear and Adrian in my right. Really lets you appreciate the interplay.
Similar to Paul Raymond and Michael Schenker on Strangers.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: January 31, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
One of the best live albums of all time, no question.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: January 31, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Since tickets went on sale last week, I've been on a huge Maiden binge. Tonight I'm listening to Live After Death. Damn. Just Damn. Spectacular. Love how this album is mixed. With Dave in my left ear and Adrian in my right. Really lets you appreciate the interplay.

I love live albums that do this so much.  Been listening to Scream for Me Brazil and the perfect stereo split like LAD is awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2258 on: January 31, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
Haven't played Scream For Me Brazil in a long time. I'll fix that this week. Likely tomorrow as I have a day off!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2259 on: February 01, 2017, 06:55:37 AM »
I personally never had a problem with the repetitiveness as long as the song and what's being repeated is good, which in most cases it is.

Quoted for truth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2260 on: February 01, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »
The first 4 minutes of the song the final frontier is not for me at all. I wish they would have just cut that Out, since i really like the song once it gets going

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: February 01, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »
The first 4 minutes of the song the final frontier is not for me at all. I wish they would have just cut that Out, since i really like the song once it gets going
Im not a big fan of satellite 15 either, but it's unique.  I'd be ok if they just separated the two songs to different tracks. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2262 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:40 AM »
Got my tickets and so excited. Had to clean my cache though because it gave me an error page. Not too bad of seats, but damn Ticketmaster and they're Platinum seats.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2263 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:25 AM »
And Janick back home in England.

But seriously, I love when live albums have proper stereo separation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2264 on: February 01, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
And Janick back home in England.

:lol    :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2265 on: February 01, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »
  Been listening to Scream for Me Brazil .

The Lovely Mrs TAC had some horrible movie on in bed last night, so I grabbed my iPod and hit this. Damn, what a great album. When I go through a Bruce mode, somehow, I pass SFMB over. As a rule, I hate incomplete live albums, though I'm sure he played, but he couldn't put any Maiden song on it.

Im not a big fan of satellite 15 either, but it's unique.  I'd be ok if they just separated the two songs to different tracks. 

I actually love S15, but you're right, it should be it's own track. That and the transition from S15 to TFF is a little rough.
When I first heard S15 I was like  :metal  It was so different and original for Iron Maiden and it sets the tone for a fantastic album.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2266 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
  Been listening to Scream for Me Brazil .

The Lovely Mrs TAC had some horrible movie on in bed last night, so I grabbed my iPod and hit this. Damn, what a great album. When I go through a Bruce mode, somehow, I pass SFMB over. As a rule, I hate incomplete live albums, though I'm sure he played, but he couldn't put any Maiden song on it.

Note: This concert was recorded and released in the 1999 Live DVD "Scream for me Brazil!", but without the songs "Powerslave", "Jerusalem", "Tattooed Millionaire", "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Taking the Queen" and "Flight of Icarus"
It would seem Powerslave, 2MtM and Icarus were regulars for him. He played those in Dallas when he was through a few years before that gig (along with Prisoner).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2267 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:17 PM »
Icarus is an interesting one, because the current Maiden lineup won't touch it. My assumption has been that this was Adrian's chance to play it at the tempo he wanted (Steve/Nicko always sped it up a ton in the 80s).

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:09 AM »
Icarus is an interesting one, because the current Maiden lineup won't touch it. My assumption has been that this was Adrian's chance to play it at the tempo he wanted (Steve/Nicko always sped it up a ton in the 80s).

Oh yeah, the version on Live After Death is really fast - too fast for my taste. It should be nearer the studio version.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2269 on: February 02, 2017, 04:18:10 AM »
It's the only song from the fantastic LaD that I really don't like. FoI played faster totally killed the mood of this excellent song. Interesting that I read somewhere that Steve Harris don't like that studio version, because it's slower. So, I guess Steve and Nicko "rushed" FoI live because Steve wanted that way.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: February 02, 2017, 04:25:34 AM »
Hell yeah Tim!!

I would have love to hear those versions of the other songs that were played as quoted by Barto.  The version of Jerusalem is on the second cd of Bruce's best of album, but FOI and Powerslave would be very interesting to hear.

Oh yeah, the version on Live After Death is really fast - too fast for my taste. It should be nearer the studio version.

It is very fast, but I love H's backup vox on this version.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2271 on: February 02, 2017, 05:53:01 AM »
Yeah, I saw him in Providence on the AOB Tour and have a pretty good boot of the show,
Here's the setlist:

Accident Of Birth
Toltec #7
Starchildren
Two Minutes To Midnight
Darkside Of Aquarius
The Magician
Road To Hell
Tattooed Millionaire
Tears Of The Dragon
Powerslave
Taking The Queen
Flight Of Icarus
Laughing In The Hiding Bush
The Prisoner

:metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
Damn, I would have loved to see Bruce's solo band

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2273 on: February 02, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
Damn, I would have loved to see Bruce's solo band

I saw the Balls to Picasso Tour, but they didn´t play any Maiden songs then. I was supposed to go see the show where Scream for me Brazil was recorded, but had tonsilitis on the day before...such a shame!

Offline Art

« Reply #2274 on: February 02, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
I was there in the SCFMB show.  :metal

Still the best show i've seen, Bruce was amazing and that band was incredible.