Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572851 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2030 on: June 16, 2016, 12:31:04 PM »
I read in a interview that Satellite 15 is a demo from Adrian where they just added Bruce's voice on it. I think that the song is a really cool idea, but it should be recorded by the band and without that very annoying eletronic drum sound, specially the double bass drum part.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: June 16, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
I read in a interview that Satellite 15 is a demo from Adrian where they just added Bruce's voice on it. I think that the song is a really cool idea, but it should be recorded by the band and without that very annoying eletronic drum sound, specially the double bass drum part.

Yup, it's pretty much an Adrian solo song with some Bruce added ontop of it.  I wish it were more of a band effort as well, especially since it's not it's own track on the album.  If it's not the band and going to be more like intro music (which is what it feels like) then it should be it's own track so we don't have to listen to it to hear the first "band" track.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2032 on: June 18, 2016, 05:06:27 AM »
Saw them last night and it was pretty epic. The band was on fire and not only Bruce but everyone in the band was giving their everything on stage. I can't praise them enough on that alone given their age, it's just amazing to see.

Setlist was great, they did more songs from the recent album than I thought which was nice. The audience wasn't that into them unfortunately.

The most epic moment was before they played Blood Brothers, Bruce stopped talking and he stood still and let the audience loose and cheer for themself and they went completly nuts, the band just stood there for 5-10 minutes silently, that was so epic. Bruce looked genuinely moved and almost tearful.

The big letdown for the evening was the sound, it was flat out bad. The guitars was a mess and Bruces vocals disappeared from time to time.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2033 on: June 18, 2016, 07:53:17 AM »
I don't think it's one of the best songs on Brave New World, but if we're comparing Wicker Man with the other openers of the modern albums, it's definitely one of the best. As a Maiden "hit", it does it's job, has a catchy chorus and is overall a solid tune. I guess the problem with Brave New World for me is that it suffers from the Angel & the Gambler syndrome. Some of the songs at least. Sections/choruses are repeated so much that it eventually gets annoying. The songs that suffer the most from this IMO would be Blood Brothers, The Mercenary and Dream of Mirrors. But the album has some really underrated gems like Ghost of the Navigator, The Nomad and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, as well as a fan favorite (I guess) that lives up to the hype, in the title track.

Agreed. Those last 3 songs you mentioned before the title track are my 3 faves as well.

Offline 425

« Reply #2034 on: June 18, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »

I think they kept the demo specifically because it sounded very spacey. I like that about it. I don't think it would be the same if it was a full-band track.

I like The Wicker Man, but I don't have a love affair with it. It's in the bottom half of BNW for me, which isn't exactly bad because it's BNW, but not great.

Controversial opinion that is at the same time unsurprising because it's me: Satellite 15... The Final Frontier is the best reunion-era opener.

I was actually shocked to find out many people didn't like it.  I was completely floored by that intro!

:tup Same! I think it's one of the more emotional pieces Iron Maiden has done, too, with those lyrics. "Not much time... Hear my call... Please get through... I am heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrreeeeeeeee..."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2035 on: June 19, 2016, 01:55:21 AM »
The most epic moment was before they played Blood Brothers, Bruce stopped talking and he stood still and let the audience loose and cheer for themself and they went completly nuts, the band just stood there for 5-10 minutes silently, that was so epic. Bruce looked genuinely moved and almost tearful.
I found this on youtube and was blown away. Well done, Sweden.  :hefdaddy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2036 on: June 19, 2016, 06:57:31 AM »
I found this on youtube and was blown away. Well done, Sweden.  :hefdaddy
Yea it was epic. I sat pretty far back on the left side and all I could hear was my section screaming which was pretty loud, standing on stage hearing all the sections together must have been amazing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2037 on: June 19, 2016, 10:08:20 AM »
If that's the Ullevi show, it's on Dime.

AS far as S-15 goes, I was blown away the first time I heard it. Totally original for Maiden. My issue is that it should be it's own track, and as much as I do like TFF (the song), I feel that after the heart racing intro of S-15, I expected it to lead into a ripper of a song, not a mid tempo one like TFF. I felt when TFF started, it let out all of the air out of S-15's balloon.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2038 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »

The big letdown for the evening was the sound, it was flat out bad. The guitars was a mess and Bruces vocals disappeared from time to time.
Three guitarists frequently muddy up their sound. Seen that plenty of times. However I bet it was the wind that caused your problems. It's remarkable how quickly an entire section of the sound can disappear. Somebody's playing a guitar solo and it suddenly goes silent for a couple of seconds like the power was turned off, then it comes back just as quickly. While I'd dig the shit out of seeing Maiden play a stadium in the rain, I'd be expecting significant dropouts from time to time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2039 on: June 19, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »

Three guitarists frequently muddy up their sound. Seen that plenty of times. However I bet it was the wind that caused your problems. It's remarkable how quickly an entire section of the sound can disappear. Somebody's playing a guitar solo and it suddenly goes silent for a couple of seconds like the power was turned off, then it comes back just as quickly. While I'd dig the shit out of seeing Maiden play a stadium in the rain, I'd be expecting significant dropouts from time to time.
That's actually a reasonable explanation and probably what happened. I sat pretty far back and above to the right from the stage and it was a bit windy up there. I assume that on the floor in the middle the sound probably was better because of less wind.

Offline 425

« Reply #2040 on: June 19, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »
AS far as S-15 goes, I was blown away the first time I heard it. Totally original for Maiden. My issue is that it should be it's own track, and as much as I do like TFF (the song), I feel that after the heart racing intro of S-15, I expected it to lead into a ripper of a song, not a mid tempo one like TFF. I felt when TFF started, it let out all of the air out of S-15's balloon.

I tend to agree with this. I do like The Final Frontier, and I think it's a fine follow-up to S15, but I definitely think S15 is easily the better part of the song. Maybe if The Final Frontier was played at a bit of a faster tempo. It works a little better in En Vivo when they speed it up a bit.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline efx

« Reply #2041 on: June 20, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »
Yeah, I was at that Sweden show as well. I've seen them a billion times including many times at that stadium and that moment was nothing like I had ever seen from them before. Genuinely moving. And the best part was bringing my wife to her first Maiden show. Being there with a friend, her and my dad and experiencing what happened was one of the best times I've ever had at a concert.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2042 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:25 AM »

I think their sound has been complained about throughout the tour.  Im sure the wind only made it worse, but they could use a new sound engineer for touring.

• DTF.org Member

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: June 20, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
Pretty epic!  :metal

Iron Maiden - Crowd Chant/Blood Brothers at Ullevi, Sweden 2016

Yeah, a friend of mine (our guitarist) was there and he says that was the highlight of the show.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2045 on: July 03, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
For you Dime-ers, a couple of Must Haves!

Tokyo- 4-20-16 2 Cam Mix DVD with Inner Ear Monitor mix for audio
https://-ww.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=565517

And the Audio only:
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=565299
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2046 on: July 28, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
Finally saw Iron Maiden as well, last Friday in Milan!!!  :metal

Excellent performance and one of their best concerts I've seen, it was my 12th! it's hard to make a proper list since their performances are always top notch, but this was absolutely a blast! I liked the stage set, the backdrops and as predictable Eddie was - both the walking one and the big one during Iron Maiden - they were very cool.

And Bruce... which, for the record, is ultimate hero and idol... after what he went through I was ready to forgive him anything; well, he SLAYED. Impressive performance, and again one of the best I've heard from him. The man gets sick, and becomes stronger in the process!!!!  :hefdaddy Dio and Lemmy please leave him here until he's 130 or something and hold on jamming with him 'cause we need men like him on the planet.

I loved also the setlist. Iron Maiden has so many unwritten rules about their setlists that I suspect they actually are written, but this time around they really became creative. Digging up a non regular old song like Children of the Damned? not using a single, but a centerpiece of an album (Powerslave) that was the kind of song that was always played only in its proper tour? closing the show with a song that's not Run to the Hills, Running Free or Sanctuary, or even Hallowed as in recent years? for the kind of setlists Maiden always had, this is some Mike Portnoy level of changing it up.

I was with my cousin, finally her debut with Iron Maiden live, so jokingly I was taunting her about being bored and annoyed at the inevitable moment Fear of the Dark would start, while of course she was dying to finally hear it. It's not that I dislike the song, I still enjoy it live, but I wouldn't mind some skipping and especially I still disapprove of the inclusion during the history tours. Actually the thing I enjoy the most about Fear of the Dark live is the slow intro, the expectation for whatever Bruce says before letting the audience sing (I love the variations), and then I immediately lose interest  ;D

Oh, and honorable mention for what I dubbed "the summer dance", Bruce's "climb like a monkey" antics  :lol :rollin I spent the subway ride back home doing it along with another friend, it's hilarous how Bruce took a lyric that some people found questionable and maybe "not metal" (but it was a direct quote from the Red Baron) and made it the centerpiece of the live version of the song, making a fool of himself with that monkey hat. Absolutely genius move, not every frontman would be willing to have such a wacky moment. Long live the monkey climb!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: July 28, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
Awesome  :metal

Although Powerslave has been played on a couple tours since the original album tour.  However, I was shocked to see them play it, but it actually fits the theme of the concert and they used a South American pyramid for it's backdrop which was really cool.  Children of the Damned also got it's play in a bunch of tours so it's not a total random live spot.  I was more shocked when they played Afraid to Shoot Strangers on the previous tour.  Either way, IM doing anything besides the typical songs is  :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2048 on: July 28, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
Yeah, Powerslave was played again in the Somewhere Back in Time tour because it was a re-edition of the World Slavery Tour, and in 1999 during the Ed Hunter reunion tour, but that was it. I've already seen Children of the Damned back in 2007, but aside special occasions, when it comes to regular album tours it's always title track / Halloweed / Run to the Hills for TNOB.

Being third in the set, Children of the Damned was the first old song they played, and while Eternity and Speed were well received, the reaction paled in comparison to the HUGE singalong near the end, before the final section starts; when the song ended, I told my cousin "See? this is what Iron Maiden live is about"  :coolio
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: July 28, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
Honestly surprised it didnt get a huge reception in NYC.  Granted, the crowd sucked at NYC IMO, but that's typical.  I felt like the only one who was singing in my section (along with my friend).  Bruce actually yelled at someone at my show during Powerslave during the slow break down when everyone typically claps, I'd have to go back to my video but he says something along the lines of "Is clapping your hands a fucking problem?!" specifically to someone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: July 28, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »
Great writeup MirrorMask, the concert was indeed amazing when I saw them too.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2051 on: July 28, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
Honestly surprised it didnt get a huge reception in NYC.  Granted, the crowd sucked at NYC IMO, but that's typical.  I felt like the only one who was singing in my section (along with my friend).  Bruce actually yelled at someone at my show during Powerslave during the slow break down when everyone typically claps, I'd have to go back to my video but he says something along the lines of "Is clapping your hands a fucking problem?!" specifically to someone.

Pfh at the crowd, we even did the "waltz clap" (clap, clap - pause, clap, clap - pause) in the middle part of Blood Brothers without even a cue from Bruce, and I guess it was the most "obscure" song of the show!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: July 28, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »
When I saw them, it was like 80% of the crowd had to no idea what Blood Brothers was, so bizarre to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #2053 on: July 28, 2016, 06:21:09 PM »
I was more shocked when they played Afraid to Shoot Strangers on the previous tour.  Either way, IM doing anything besides the typical songs is  :tup

Afraid to Shoot Strangers was so good live. I wasn't a big fan of the song before the concert, and I didn't look at setlists or anything prior to the show, so they really blew me away when they pulled that one out. As soon as I got back to the car after the show I played that song, and now it's one of my favorite maiden songs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2054 on: July 29, 2016, 02:42:30 AM »
The only bad thing about hearing Afraid again was that it was a blatant stand-in for Infinite Dreams. It was so obvious that at that point of the set there should have been a slower song, and it was gutting to not hear one of their best songs.

I remember seeing a photo of a setlist programme near the mix desk, there was the regular setlist and at the end there were Infinite Dreams and Hallowed Be Thy Name. So they even rehearsed Infinite Dreams, but something made them decide to not play it.... damn!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2055 on: July 29, 2016, 06:23:51 AM »
Damn, I was hoping a bigger US tour was announced. Still waiting...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: July 29, 2016, 06:33:57 AM »
I was more shocked when they played Afraid to Shoot Strangers on the previous tour.  Either way, IM doing anything besides the typical songs is  :tup

Afraid to Shoot Strangers was so good live. I wasn't a big fan of the song before the concert, and I didn't look at setlists or anything prior to the show, so they really blew me away when they pulled that one out. As soon as I got back to the car after the show I played that song, and now it's one of my favorite maiden songs.

Same here, totally shocked to see that also since it wasn't really part of that timeframe.

The only bad thing about hearing Afraid again was that it was a blatant stand-in for Infinite Dreams. It was so obvious that at that point of the set there should have been a slower song, and it was gutting to not hear one of their best songs.

I remember seeing a photo of a setlist programme near the mix desk, there was the regular setlist and at the end there were Infinite Dreams and Hallowed Be Thy Name. So they even rehearsed Infinite Dreams, but something made them decide to not play it.... damn!

And at the same time I totally expected them to not play this one.  This is the first time hearing that they rehearsed it though.  That makes it even more sad.

Damn, I was hoping a bigger US tour was announced. Still waiting...

I'm not expecting it.  Would love to see the show again though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2057 on: July 30, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
Arte Concert will livestream Maidens tour finale at Wacken aug 4th.  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2058 on: July 30, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
I need not to forget to stay home that night.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: July 30, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
Awesome, the time difference though means I might be watching from work

Offline NotePad

« Reply #2060 on: August 01, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
My favorite albums are all the reunion era albums. With Brave New World they really mastered their art. TXF and VXI were working towards what they're doing now. Unfortunately, TBoS is actually my least favorite of the newer albums. Both BNW and AMoLAD after Maiden's crowning achievements.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2061 on: August 04, 2016, 07:03:52 AM »
https://youtu.be/YzduoBPDRMk

^ Hillbilly cover of Aces High by Steve n Seagulls. It's surprisingly good!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: August 04, 2016, 01:22:45 PM »
https://static-cdn.arte.tv/static/wacken2016/de.html

Iron Maiden are about to take the stage, the link is for the live stream at Wacken.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2063 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
All right, I'm not sure what the mask that Bruce is wearing, during Powerslave, is supposed to represent, but, to me, he looks like a Lucha Libre wrestler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: August 04, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »
All right, I'm not sure what the mask that Bruce is wearing, during Powerslave, is supposed to represent, but, to me, he looks like a Lucha Libre wrestler.

:lol Im watching it in my office with my coworker who has never listened to IM before and he said the exact same thing.