Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572339 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1680 on: December 22, 2015, 09:36:48 AM »
Cool!  Get luck with getting a ticket, easily the most difficult time I had getting one for IM

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1681 on: December 22, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
Sorry, I have been absent from the thread for awhile, so this is a VERY late response.
Flight 666 is cool.  But for a new fan wanting a standard concert, I would not start there.
Perhaps not (simply because it's not one concert but a bunch of performances from different shows), but it does have the setlist that is the best overview of 80s Maiden, so that's worth considering. Bosk, I know you lean strongly towards the modern era, and I do too, but I think it's good to note that LAD and F666 showcase what most consider to be their golden era musically.

Very true, and it really is an excellent compilation and documentary.  My point was simply that if someone wants a true concert-like experience, the style of that particular set may be offputting given that it isn't a single continuous show.  But other than that, I would have no reservations whatsoever about recommending it.  The only live material I have from them is Rock In Rio (CD only), F666 (DVD only), and En Vivo! (DVD only), and between those three, I feel completely satisfied and don't feel compelled to shell out more money for additional live material.  That isn't to say I won't ever buy anything else.  But I just feel that for the material I am interested in, I have VERY good live versions of the vast majority of it, so there is no urgency in getting anything else right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: December 22, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
Got an e-mail from IM, might be because I am a fan club member but figured I would still share this with anyone here who may be interested.

https://ironmaiden.future-beat.com/artist.cfm?id=3364

THE OFFICIAL TROOPER PRE-SHOW PARTY UPGRADE PACKAGE

For the 1st time ever, in North America & Canada only, on The Book of Souls Tour, we are offering limited places per gig for the Official TROOPER Pre-show party.

Because these places are strictly limited, we wanted to give you a heads-up that they are onsale NOW! before we notify the general public..

For more details and to buy your pass, please go to Trooper Pre-Party

Please note- this does not include a ticket to the show.

Looked up for MSG and it's $195 a ticket.... yea no thanks, but still a cool idea.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1683 on: December 22, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
Got a fridge stocked with Trooper! Y'all can come over for free!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: December 22, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
Got a fridge stocked with Trooper! Y'all can come over for free!

On my way!

Actually got some as a birthday gift last year, it was really good!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1685 on: December 22, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
There are a couple stores around here that stock it. And yes, it is good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: December 22, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »
There are a couple stores around here that stock it. And yes, it is good.

Yea, after I tried and enjoyed it, I noticed they sell it at my liqueur store down the street so I bought some more, but sadly they stopped selling it.   :angry:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: December 23, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »
Happy birthday, Dave Murray! 59 years today :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1690 on: December 23, 2015, 07:54:17 AM »
Happy birthday, Dave Murray! 59 years today :metal

:metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1691 on: December 23, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
Happy birthday, Dave, and that was one really cool video.  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Was in the mood for Book of souls today.

This album has held up really well. The songs still sound solid and catchy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm impressed with how long Bosk has held off commenting on BoS. He must really want to make sure he's digested it first.

Sorry, it just kinda dropped off my radar.  Overall assessment:  It doesn't do a whole lot for me, actually.  I mean, the album isn't bad by any stretch.  But it also just doesn't grab me like some of their others either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm impressed with how long Bosk has held off commenting on BoS. He must really want to make sure he's digested it first.

Sorry, it just kinda dropped off my radar.  Overall assessment:  It doesn't do a whole lot for me, actually.  I mean, the album isn't bad by any stretch.  But it also just doesn't grab me like some of their others either.

For me, it's the first time in the Reunion Era where the current album did not top the previous one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eh, a huge one up from TFF for me and a great record all around. Honestly surprised they had that album in them at this point in their career. Thought AMoLaD and follow up F666 tour was the pinnacle of IM but this tour and album may change that. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Was in the mood for Book of souls today.

This album has held up really well. The songs still sound solid and catchy.

It's a brilliant album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Eh, a huge one up from TFF for me and a great record all around. Honestly surprised they had that album in them at this point in their career. Thought AMoLaD and follow up F666 tour was the pinnacle of IM but this tour and album may change that.

I can't fault anyone for liking any Reunion Era album more than another. After the two big epics, IMO, it comes back down to earth pretty quick. Still, I do love it and think it's a great album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I haven't been going back to this one quite as much, but the final three songs are still one of the best three song runs in their entire career. Especially The Man of Sorrows, man that song slays.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
From all the reunion albums, I can see each one being someones favorite album by the band, period. 

I can see Book of Souls being the most difficult one to get into though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I can't fault anyone for liking any Reunion Era album more than another. After the two big epics, IMO, it comes back down to earth pretty quick. Still, I do love it and think it's a great album.

Yup I know we've discussed this before.  The reunion era is so strong.  Im honestly baffled a bit by Bosk's feeling towards the new album considering how much he enjoyed the newer stuff.  To each their own, but out of all the reunion era albums, I feel like this is the easiest one to like for an old or new IM fan.

Offline 425

For me, it's the first time in the Reunion Era where the current album did not top the previous one.

DOD is slightly weaker than BNW IMO, but this thought still resonates with me, since I think AMOLAD is better than both of those and TFF is better than AMOLAD. But I do not think TBOS tops TFF.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

DOD is slightly weaker than BNW IMO, but this thought still resonates with me, since I think AMOLAD is better than both of those and TFF is better than AMOLAD. But I do not think TBOS tops TFF.

I like how the band approached BNW. It's really fresh, whereas DOD feels like much more traditional Maiden. And I'm fine with someone mentioning some filler on DSOD, but I feel like I like most of DOD more than I like most of BNW. But they are all great.

If Bruce had never come back, Maiden would still be one of my favorite bands just based on the Classic Era. This second life of theirs is mindboggling, and in the mid 90's I would've never thought it possible.

Offline NotePad

BNW is my favorite Maiden album. But I don't think it sounds like anything else they've done. For some reason. Maybe it's the production. I don't know. I used to think it was the guitar trio, but recent albums proved they can still have a classic IM sound.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
BNW is my favorite Maiden album. But I don't think it sounds like anything else they've done. For some reason. Maybe it's the production. I don't know. I used to think it was the guitar trio, but recent albums proved they can still have a classic IM sound.

It's a unique album.

Offline ozzy554

AMOLAD I think is still my favorite reunion album, but TBOS is really really close.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
AMOLAD I think is still my favorite reunion album, but TBOS is really really close.

AMOLAD is a masterpiece, and IMO it's the standard bearer of the Reunion Era.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

This is how I feel, except AMOLAD is my favorite all around IM album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

AMOLAD is a masterpiece, and IMO it's the standard bearer of the Reunion Era.

Its neck and neck with BNW for my favorite reunion album.  Absolutely awesome.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: January 18, 2016, 05:43:53 AM »
https://www.ironmaiden.com/iron-maiden-roadhouse-interactive-and-50cc-games-announce-mobile-rpg-legacy-of-the-beast.html

"Roadhouse Interactive, 50cc Games and Metal legends Iron Maiden are pleased to announce that Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast, an action-packed, free-to-play RPG steeped in Iron Maiden mythology, will launch worldwide this summer on iOS and Android platforms."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: January 18, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
Wow that looks very cool!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:27 AM »
Actually might have some potential to be a good game.  I also think it's great how it goes along with the vibe of the music video for Speed of Light and it's not like IM haven't been tied to video games before

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
One thread to rule them all, one thread to bind them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #1713 on: January 19, 2016, 12:06:46 AM »
https://www.ironmaiden.com/iron-maiden-roadhouse-interactive-and-50cc-games-announce-mobile-rpg-legacy-of-the-beast.html

"Roadhouse Interactive, 50cc Games and Metal legends Iron Maiden are pleased to announce that Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast, an action-packed, free-to-play RPG steeped in Iron Maiden mythology, will launch worldwide this summer on iOS and Android platforms."

Hopefully it's not one of those games that spam in the in-game purchases but I'm not holding my breath.  Will still play it tho.

I was just thinking today, they really should've made Ed Hunter more of an RPG.  They've kinda done it backwards in the sense that they released a First Person Shooter back in the mid-late 90s when RPGs like Final Fantasy VII and VIII were king, and now they're releasing an RPG, in the Call of Duty age.  lol.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #1714 on: January 27, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
Got a pit ticket for the second Mexico City show. Should be a pretty wild event. Looking forward to it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson