Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573362 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Fear it is, although both are just mediocre.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

The thing is, No prayer doesn't have a single song I would call great. Fear of the dark, on the other hand, has Afraid to shoot strangers and the title track. However, the lows on Fear are just extreme lows, easily the worst songs the band has ever put out, such as Weekend warrior, Childhood's end, The Fugitive, The Apparition. No prayer has only one bad song, which is The Assassin. That's why Fear gets my vote, there are waaaay too many songs that drag it down, whereas Prayer has a bunch of okay songs.

Just talking about Maiden album having okay songs instead of fantastic ones reminds me that these two albums are hugely below their standards.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fear Of The Dark has much stronger material.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't read the article but the quote in the headline is fucking incredible.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Great interview!  Always love reading/hearing Nick speak - he has the energy and passion of someone half his age.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1652 on: November 10, 2015, 06:37:07 PM »
I'll definitely buy it, no question.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1653 on: November 10, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
Dang it, you guys beat me to the punch about that one.

Uhhhh, yes pls.  I will definitely buy and read a book about Bruce's life, written by Bruce.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1654 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »
Brilliant.  I must've read Run to the Hills at least a dozen times through, and Bruce's chapter was always my favourite, very entertaining and informative.  This will be an awesome read!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1655 on: November 11, 2015, 01:27:50 AM »
Interesting, will definitely read that! Did anyone read the BD biography by Joe Shooman? Actually thought that was pretty good.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1656 on: November 11, 2015, 01:37:11 AM »
This could be interesting.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1657 on: November 15, 2015, 06:58:15 PM »
For those of us old enough to remember Listen With Nicko, this is a great blast from the past.

Nicko sings Age of Innocence
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1658 on: November 16, 2015, 06:52:32 AM »
Nicko, here!!!  Hi.   Hi.   

We're gonna put it on a CD!!!!!!!

I loved that stuff.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1659 on: November 29, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
This continues to be the most aggravating tour I've dealt with in a while. Pretty much every aspect of it sucks. At first I thought it was just the American tour that was awful, but even the European dates leave a ton to desire. Most of them are part of festivals and the ones that aren't are in the most expensive time of the year to fly over there. I've always got Tulsa as a fallback to make sure I see them, but the more interesting trips really are a fucking challenge.

And what the hell is up with that Tacoma Dome? Man, that place looks awful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1660 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
This continues to be the most aggravating tour I've dealt with in a while. Pretty much every aspect of it sucks. At first I thought it was just the American tour that was awful, but even the European dates leave a ton to desire. Most of them are part of festivals and the ones that aren't are in the most expensive time of the year to fly over there. I've always got Tulsa as a fallback to make sure I see them, but the more interesting trips really are a fucking challenge.

The sound is actually pretty good.   It's just really REALLY old.   It was built in 1981, and to my knowledge, it has never once been remodeled.    No suites, no luxury to speak of.   Just an old fashioned wooden dome.    There's no frills at all.   It's just a big wooden shed.   It looks like hell, but acoustically it's better than most places.   I've seen some pretty good concerts there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1661 on: November 29, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »

The sound is actually pretty good.   It's just really REALLY old.   It was built in 1981, and to my knowledge, it has never once been remodeled.    No suites, no luxury to speak of.   Just an old fashioned wooden dome.    There's no frills at all.   It's just a big wooden shed.   It looks like hell, but acoustically it's better than most places.   I've seen some pretty good concerts there.
WOODEN??? Ye, Gods.  :lol   

What jumped out at me is the oddball seating. Just seems to me that if you're going to build a dome you build normal, bowl seating into the thing. It looks like they had no idea what they were going to do with it, slapped some generic but slightly odd seats into it and then built a big dome around it. I've never actually seen a place where there was obstructed view seating in the FOH corners.

E.F. Benson

Offline Coolcat

• I love ALL kids!!
  • I Love Babies!!
« Reply #1662 on: November 29, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »
My dad says that Iron Maiden is really mean and that they are billies. I think that Van Halen is better because my dad puts Van Halen 1 up really loud on our cassette player  :metal
"If you weren't a bully, you would have friends and friends are Coooooolll!!!" - me

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gun-self-defense-for-women#/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1663 on: November 29, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »

What jumped out at me is the oddball seating. Just seems to me that if you're going to build a dome you build normal, bowl seating into the thing. It looks like they had no idea what they were going to do with it, slapped some generic but slightly odd seats into it and then built a big dome around it. I've never actually seen a place where there was obstructed view seating in the FOH corners.

I'm trying to think of where those would be.   (...not only have I seen dozens of concerts there, and more than a few hockey games, but there's a JW convention there every summer...so I've been in that place *A LOT*)      What's FOH stand for? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1664 on: November 29, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
My dad says that Iron Maiden is really mean and that they are billies. I think that Van Halen is better because my dad puts Van Halen 1 up really loud on our cassette player  :metal

Well, thankfully.  There's some Van Halen threads here for you to like, which you have already posted in.  As for Iron Maiden, from my perception of them as people, they are a very bunch of very good men that is very articulate and writes good music for all ages to enjoy well.  The general crowds, from what I hear though.... 

I'm trying to think of where those would be.   (...not only have I seen dozens of concerts there, and more than a few hockey games, but there's a JW convention there every summer...so I've been in that place *A LOT*)      What's FOH stand for?

I believe it stands for Front of House?  Here's what I found through Google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_of_House

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1665 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »

Yes, Front of house. If you check the seating chart there's a swath of seats available in the 2A area with obstructed view. Looking at pictures of the place I'm guessing it's the side sections that block the view. Not sure, though. Never seen anything like that place.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: December 08, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-12-08/bruce-dickinson-working-on-solo-album

Says he has half an album of material and will be working on the other half as he rehearses for the IM tour.

I know I am not the only one who wants to hear what he has.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1667 on: December 08, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »
I'm all for a BD album!  :metal

The article under though:
"I’ve seen the Iron Maidens in Mexico. We all went. We were watching them and I said to Steve, 'This is a really weird question, but looking at them, would you fuck yourself?' And he went, 'I don’t know, but we’ve all been thinking it.' It was very, very weird."
:rollin
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: December 08, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »
https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-12-08/bruce-dickinson-working-on-solo-album

Says he has half an album of material and will be working on the other half as he rehearses for the IM tour.

I know I am not the only one who wants to hear what he has.

:metal  Good to hear!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: December 08, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
Yeah, if IESF is anything to go by, a new Bruce solo album would be incredible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »

Totally. But for me, if I go by his last three albums, the last four IM albums, and just his general history of good music then yea. It should be incredible  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1671 on: December 08, 2015, 02:58:24 PM »

Totally. But for me, if I go by his last three albums, the last four IM albums, and just his general history of good music then yea. It should be incredible  :biggrin:

Right. In spite of IESF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: December 08, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
Since IESF was suppose to be a part of this solo album, I hope it's still included.  It was written and demoed with Roy and I think is suppose to be the opener, I'd still want it.  A re-recorded version in context of the album would suit me fine.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: December 08, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
Since IESF was suppose to be a part of this solo album, I hope it's still included.  It was written and demoed with Roy and I think is suppose to be the opener, I'd still want it.  A re-recorded version in context of the album would suit me fine.

Im mixed about that idea.  I feel like if Roy really wrote it then it should be on there (and of course re-recorded), but since it's already out there I kind of don't want it on the album, I'd rather a new song in it's place.  If the album was only half finished, then it doesn't sound like there is a concept around the album, more like collection of songs to BD and or RZ have written.  If thats the case then I see no need for it to be on the album., but if it DOES have meaning in context to the full album, then it makes sense to have it on there.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: December 08, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
I thought Bruce said in an interview that it was intended to be a concept album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: December 08, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
I thought Bruce said in an interview that it was intended to be a concept album.

Wasnt aware of that, in that case, how can it not be included? Unless that idea was scrapped.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: December 08, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHOmXTBTBFs

That was the interview I was thinking of, but I was wrong, Bruce doesn't say anything about a concept album.  I don't know where I got that from, must have made it up.  :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1677 on: December 08, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
I also heard that somewhere and I also thought that it was from that clip.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »
I also heard that somewhere and I also thought that it was from that clip.

Thanks mate, I thought I was going crazy.  Weird as.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1679 on: December 22, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
Iron Maiden - A Christmas Cheers

I'm starting to feel some regret for not getting a ticket for the summer tour. Will try and see if there's any left.