Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573151 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1540 on: September 23, 2015, 04:07:05 AM »
Well, who of the older generation metal singers does measure up to his/her younger self? I can't honestly name anyone that does. I think he does an increddible job, and with running about the damn stage all the time. I'd be dead after one half of a song...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1541 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:14 AM »
he doesn't measure up to his younger self

yeah, he's much better :P

seriously, vocal performances from LAD vs F666... the improvement is staggering.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: September 23, 2015, 05:09:25 AM »
I'd say that the 80's studio albums have better vox from Bruce than the reunion albums, but live, his perfromances these days are so much better than back in the 80's.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1543 on: September 23, 2015, 05:18:32 AM »
he doesn't measure up to his younger self

yeah, he's much better :P

seriously, vocal performances from LAD vs F666... the improvement is staggering.
Easily. I think Bruce peaked between 2006 and 2009, he was just insanely fantastic.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: September 23, 2015, 06:34:24 AM »
I like Bruce's vocals so much more now than from the 80s.  His voice matured and sounds better to me.   Specifically the time periods mentioned above.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1545 on: September 23, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
I'm not sure what you are so up-in-arms about Tempus. People have repeatedly said that it is to be expected and that he is doing a great job for his age and situation, but the fact remains that he doesn't measure up to his younger self - which nobody is expecting him to, kirk and theseoafs (who I guess you're referring to) have said so in their posts - and that has to be allowed to be stated.

Not every criticism is mindless bashing, and I find it a bit disheartening that a mod of all people would portray it as such.

You used the word mindless. It wasn't directed at anyone specifically; read my last post. I'm not "up-in-arms". Don't know why you'd be "disheartened" over my observation; or why me being a mod has anything to do with it. People are entitled to their opinions, and I'm entitled to mine and my observations. Because someone disagrees with my opinion of his voice doesn't make them a bad person. Reread my last post.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
I'd say that the 80's studio albums have better vox from Bruce than the reunion albums, but live, his perfromances these days are so much better than back in the 80's.

I'm impressed with Bruce from any era!

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1547 on: September 25, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »
Raw and Uncut | Bruce Dickinson

The thing he said about Eddie was really interesting, never thought of him like that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1548 on: September 25, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »
That's the way I've always tried to explain Eddie to the people who ask me why Maiden has a hideous monster as a mascot. It's one of the most profound moves in heavy metal history - lets have a mascot that will be a rock star, and we can be musicians.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1549 on: September 25, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
Come on guys, you realize he was screaming 6 nights a week on the Powerslave tour? Much easier on the voice when you don't tour such an insane schedule anymore.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1550 on: September 25, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »
Oh, and the opening verses of The Man of Sorrows are some of my favorite Bruce vocals ever. Love that song, some of Davy's best solos.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1551 on: September 25, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »

The thing he said about Eddie was really interesting, never thought of him like that.

Amazing perspective on Eddie. Although, instead of part of the band, I've always thought of Eddie as representation of the "fan"; which is the same in essence.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1552 on: September 27, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »

Amazing perspective on Eddie. Although, instead of part of the band, I've always thought of Eddie as representation of the "fan"; which is the same in essence.

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1553 on: September 30, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »
Man, it'd be nice to have a gander at the dates for this thing. I won't actually purchase anything travel related until Thanksgiving, but I'd certainly appreciate some time to research how I'd like to play the thing. I'm betting against a Florida date, but I'd consider Miami-Tampa if there were; never been there and a couple of things I'd like to see. I'm kind of done with Phili/NYC, but that does offer the opportunity to catch several shows at once. Plus, I'd love to spend more time in DC. A Sunday night show in NY would certainly make that more attractive. Knocking around Quebec and Toronto, as well. It'd be nifty to see Bruce parle en francais for a night, plus, Quebec seems like a cool place.

At this point I'd just like to have some clue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1554 on: October 01, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »
Ask and you shall receive!
iron-maiden-will-open-the-book-of-souls-world-tour-in-florida-usa-on-feb-24-2016

FEB 24 - Ft Lauderdale, FLA - BB&T Center
 FEB 26 - Tulsa, OK - BOK Center
 FEB 28 - Las Vegas, NV - Mandalay Bay Events Center
 MAR 30 - New York - Madison Square Garden             
 APR 05 - Detroit, MI - Palace Of Auburn Hills
 APR 06 - Chicago, IL - United Center
 APR 11 - Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Dome
 APR 13 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
 APR 15 - Los Angeles, CA - The Forum

Canadian fans please note that your dates will be announced very soon!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1555 on: October 01, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »
They're coming back to the U.S. for another run of dates later, right?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1556 on: October 01, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
They're coming back to the U.S. for another run of dates later, right?  :lol

It didn't sound that way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: October 01, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
Just got my fan club magazine and goodies in the mail yesterday, I'll be at the MSG gig!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1558 on: October 01, 2015, 08:46:51 AM »
I guess all I had to do was ask.

That's actually worse than I was expecting, and my expectations were very low for a US album tour. I was hoping for at least a second NE date. While MSG is one of those storied venues that I'd love to catch a show at, I don't have much interest at all in going to NYC for just one gig. At least it's not on a Saturday night, so I'd consider riding the train up from someplace interesting for the day, but it's not really ringing my bell. Hopefully the Canadian offerings will be better. A show in Montreal rather than Quebec City would certainly be helpful. All in all, Florida is looking like the winner.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1559 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
Wow, only nine dates for the entire USA? They're not that big over there, right?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1560 on: October 01, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
Wow, only nine dates for the entire USA? They're not that big over there, right?
Americans aren't supportive of the album tours; only greatest hits shows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 425

« Reply #1561 on: October 01, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
That's actually worse than I was expecting, and my expectations were very low for a US album tour.

Yep. Nothing anywhere near me. Guess I'm not seeing them.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1562 on: October 01, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
I got this feeling, with the limited number of US shows, the tickets are going to be too expensive and/or will sell out pretty fast (even if it's for an album tour).  I'm probably not heading to the LA show then.  Maybe if I get lucky at the right moments in life though, perhaps.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1563 on: October 01, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
I'm assuming that there will be bigger full on US tour late 16 or 17.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1564 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:27 AM »
I got this feeling, with the limited number of US shows, the tickets are going to be too expensive and/or will sell out pretty fast (even if it's for an album tour).  I'm probably not heading to the LA show then.  Maybe if I get lucky at the right moments in life though, perhaps.
Tix for the Chicago show are dirt cheap (relatively speaking).     US $39.50 -   US $89.50

I really enjoyed seeing them at The Forum a few years back. Fantastic crowd and an amusing, old school venue. If there were also a SF show that'd be a contender for me.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1565 on: October 01, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
I would assume this as well. Yet I'm also mindful of the fact that they're going to run out of gas, and health issues will, at least according to statistics, catch up with them. I'd certainly not take anything for granted at this point.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: October 01, 2015, 11:01:42 AM »
I would assume this as well. Yet I'm also mindful of the fact that they're going to run out of gas, and health issues will, at least according to statistics, catch up with them. I'd certainly not take anything for granted at this point.

Thats the way I feel too, historically they would do a full US tour at some point, but at this stage in their careers who knows.  I am lucky enough to not have to figure out how to see them, but even if they do follow up with a full US tour next year, it could be more of a greatest hits set than heavy on TBoS.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1567 on: October 01, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »
I wouldn't assume that. There's no indication that'd be the case.

Offline 425

« Reply #1568 on: October 01, 2015, 11:31:52 AM »

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that this is all of The Book of Souls that the U.S. gets.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1569 on: October 01, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »
They tend to alternate album tours with greatest hits tours. Give Me Ed Til I'm dead, Eddie Rips up the World and Somewhere Back in Time were all between album tours.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1570 on: October 01, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
I know that! ;D

Just not sure what they'll be promoting. The next installment of the History Of?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1571 on: October 01, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »
The only show I could go to would be Denver and the date is too close to the due date of my next kid.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1572 on: October 01, 2015, 01:35:22 PM »
That's actually worse than I was expecting, and my expectations were very low for a US album tour.

Yep. Nothing anywhere near me. Guess I'm not seeing them.

Guess I'm not seeing them either  :'(

Offline 425

« Reply #1573 on: October 01, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »
I know that! ;D

Just not sure what they'll be promoting. The next installment of the History Of?

Problem is, up next would be the 90s, which would not be likely to be a popular tour either (though I personally would want to see that assuming they gave the Blaze albums a healthy amount of time).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1574 on: October 01, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »
I know that! ;D

Well, they sort of did the latter years thing with the US TFF tour (which was kick ass). But I'm not sure they need to be promoting anything to tour. They've come out as package deals, just because, which afford them the opportunity to play places they wouldn't normally get to. Give Me Ed wasn't promoting anything and they played a lot of venues off the beaten track; 4 Tx dates and 5 Ca. I just think that given the tiny scale of this US tour they'll be back for a large scale one to hit all the major cities they're skipping.

Also, there's a big difference between an Ed Force One tour and something else. It's not practical to hit 5 places in Cali like that. Doing it the old school way it's very practical. I suspect EFO is largely promotional. It's a unique way to do things that commands attention, yet isn't as practical as it'd seem. It really only works well for spread out locales. As I recall, they flew into Australia and then trucked everything around within, for example. They're also making use of EFO for part of the Europe dates for the first time, but not all.
E.F. Benson