Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 575706 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1470 on: September 16, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »
TBOS tearing shit up everywhere.  Good to see.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1471 on: September 16, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
Listened to it again today. I love the title track. Like I LOVE it!!!

I also really dig When The River Runs Deep. It's a different kind of tune for Maiden. Love the intro. H I assume.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: September 16, 2015, 03:21:25 PM »
The whole thing is just a pleasure to listen too, it's amazing.

yeah that intro is definitely H, has his tone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1473 on: September 16, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »
Walking In The Shadows is growing on me. I hate the Wasted years intro to it though, and the Fallen Angel verse. Feels lazy, but everything else is great on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1474 on: September 16, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Walking In The Shadows is growing on me. I hate the Wasted years intro to it though, and the Fallen Angel verse. Feels lazy, but everything else is great on it.
Why don't I have that song on my CD?  ;)  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1475 on: September 16, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »

Thought you got a secret bonus track there for a second.  Yeah, those two points you mentioned are a laugh, but I love the song.  The 'into the valley, woah woah' section is just incredible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1476 on: September 16, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »
I'm ready for some US tour dates. Just sayin'.

Can you throw Canada a bone?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1477 on: September 16, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
The Valley!! :facepalm:

Got Accept on the mind!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1478 on: September 16, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »
I'm ready for some US tour dates. Just sayin'.

Can you throw Canada a bone?

Supposedly 3 US dates and then 10 US/Canadian dates.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1479 on: September 17, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »

Since my first listen to that song it bugged me what other song they had lifted the verses from. Now you've answered it, thank you.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: September 17, 2015, 05:05:13 AM »
On my first listen I shit myself when the Wasted Years intro happened and then I laughed pretty damn hard when The Fallen Angel verses started.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1481 on: September 17, 2015, 05:42:58 AM »
I LOVE Iron Maiden. You guys know that. But I've got a controversial thing to say.

Regarding TRaTB, without the long and awesome instrumental part, there is really not much there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: September 17, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »
I LOVE Iron Maiden. You guys know that. But I've got a controversial thing to say.

Regarding TRaTB, without the long and awesome instrumental part, there is really not much there.

I don't think it's that controversial to be honest.  The song is probably still my favourite, but mainly from those amazing melodies lines later in the instrumental section.  The first half is still good though.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1483 on: September 17, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
My controversial point is, that I could do without the bass intro and outro ;D

No seriously, I really like the first part too, especially those guitar lines accompanying the vocals, though it sometimes is Maiden buy numbers. But it's still one of the best tracks on TBOS.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1484 on: September 17, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »

No seriously, I really like the first part too, especially those guitar lines accompanying the vocals, though it sometimes is Maiden buy numbers. But it's still one of the best tracks on TBOS.

Actually, that intro and outro is - for me - the weakest part of the whole album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: September 17, 2015, 08:35:02 AM »

Actually, that intro and outro is - for me - the weakest part of the whole album.

Yup, that bass part is really unnecessary and adds nothing IMO.  The song is still my favorite because it rocks all around and luckily the intro/outro is actually short.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: September 17, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »
I like the bass intro – moves the arrangement out of a BNW, typical Maiden choice and differentiates it from other epics. It's nice to bolster a well written (imo) song body with an intro that is instantly recognizable and unique.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1487 on: September 17, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
I like the bass intro – moves the arrangement out of a BNW, typical Maiden choice and differentiates it from other epics. It's nice to bolster a well written (imo) song body with an intro that is instantly recognizable and unique.

It sounds as if Steve's youngest kid was fiddling with his bass in between tracks.  I can't get past the part that loses it's meter a little bit.  It is, all in my own humble opinion, sloppy and not in a good way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: September 17, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
I fucking love the intro/outro.  Epic as hell.

Offline Art

« Reply #1489 on: September 17, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
The Book Of Souls (the song) is just amazing. It was a late burner for me, but now...it has "clicked" and i can´t get enough of it. :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1490 on: September 17, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »
Art I agree. One of their best Reunion songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1492 on: September 17, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
Not to say it didn't do well, but it's important to note that they get 2 units sold for each album they sell. That helps a lot, and frankly makes it difficult to compare against past success.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1493 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
Actually, from what I've heard in another forum, only the RIAA, when they give gold/platinum certificates, counts double albums as two copies.  I do not know if that applies to album charting units though.

Edit: All right, forgot where I saw that double albums only count as one unit for charts, but after more research, I think this clarifies it to me.

I was curious if Shania Twain's latest CD, "Up!", counts as two albums or just one on The Billboard 200? I'm fairly sure that Billboard's policy on double CDs is that they count as two units sold for each album sold. For example, Garth Brooks' "Double Live" album sold a million copies in its first week because it was double album. This might be different though because both CDs contain the same songs. Is there a policy on this?

Shania Twain's album counts as one album when it comes to the Billboard charts. In the print issue dated Dec. 14, director of charts Geoff Mayfield reports that the album has sold 1.5 million copies in its first two weeks, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That means that 1.5 million copies have been sold, not 750,000.

A lot of readers asked this question this week. I think the confusion is because of the policy of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which is the trade organization that awards gold and platinum certifications. A double album does count twice for them, so 1.5 million copies sold would be triple platinum -- but keep in mind the RIAA issues certifications based on units shipped, not units sold.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/73213/chart-beat-chat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:12:42 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1494 on: September 18, 2015, 05:51:48 AM »
Now after 7 listens, i feel confident enough to rate the songs on this album.
TBOS is a great album, but not perfect in any way.

1. The Book of Souls (One of the best songs of the reunion era!)

2. If Eternity Should Fail (Same as the title track.)

3. When The River Runs Deep (This should have been the single!)

4. The Great Unknown (This was my favorite from the album at first, still like it very much.)

5. Speed of Light (Love the Wicker Man/ Rainmaker like vibe of the song.)

6. Empire of the Clouds (Interesting experiment. I think it's just a little too long.)

7. The Man of Sorrows (Took a couple of listens to sink in, but its a cool song for sure!)

8. Tears of a Clown (Cool song with great lyrics!)

9. Death Or Glory (Ok song, not one of my favorites.)

10. Shadows of the Valley (Mediocre.)

11. The Red and the Black (I have no idea, why this song is even on this album. The Bass intro and the primary riff are pretty cool. Rest sounds like a VXI B-side.)

I would have liked if TRatB was dropped from the album. Instead there would be one more song from Murray, and one more from Gers...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: September 18, 2015, 06:21:27 AM »
11. The Red and the Black (I have no idea, why this song is even on this album. The Bass intro and the primary riff are pretty cool. Rest sounds like a VXI B-side.)

I would have liked if TRatB was dropped from the album. Instead there would be one more song from Murray, and one more from Gers...

Wow.  Still number 1 for me.  Brilliant song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: September 18, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »

Wow.  Still number 1 for me.  Brilliant song.

Same, my fav. I could understand some of the heat, it is a fairly straight forward IM epic song, but it's pretty awesome though so I can get past that.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1497 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »

I know opinions and tastes and so on, but the bold part can't be right, because then I wouldn't like the song as much as I do.

Offline 425

« Reply #1498 on: September 18, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
The Red and the Black is reminiscent of Virtual XI, yes.

Which is a good thing, because Virtual XI is awesome.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1499 on: September 18, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
This may very well end up being my favorite reunion-era album of theirs.

I agree, though, that the "Empire of the Clouds" experiment didn't quite work.    It's not a bad song.  But to me it feels pretty bloated.  I could easily shave 10 to 12 minutes off it (getting rid of most of the long, long repetition of riffs) and then it would be decent.

It's the only track on the album that I don't absolutely love and that's saying a lot for a metal band that's been making albums since the early 1980's! 

One thing I think they need to consider on future albums, though, write some material in slightly lower keys so that Dickinson doesn't have to strain so much.  There are a few passages here and there -"The Great Unknown" is a good example- where he is singing stuff that is clearly out of his range.  And it sounds pretty bad in those moments when he's trying (and just barely succeeding) to hit those high notes.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: September 18, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
I dont know, he sounds pretty awesome on the album to me.  Maybe live I will agree with you, not sure what to expect out of him live now after everything.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: September 18, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
The only song Bruce sonds slighty off is the chorus off Speed of Light, everything else, he sounds like a freaking god.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #1502 on: September 18, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
Probably not that controversial (and possibly stated before, couldn't read the whole thread) but the album could've done without Death or Glory and Shadows of the Valley. The whole album is amazing, I have to listen to it as a whole at least once a day except for those two songs.

Never been a big fan of the band, but the album kinda got me into their music. If the rest is half as good as this (and it certainly is better, right?), I'm sure I'll enjoy listening to them very much! ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: September 18, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »
Probably not that controversial (and possibly stated before, couldn't read the whole thread) but the album could've done without Death or Glory and Shadows of the Valley. The whole album is amazing, I have to listen to it as a whole at least once a day except for those two songs.

Never been a big fan of the band, but the album kinda got me into their music. If the rest is half as good as this (and it certainly is better, right?), I'm sure I'll enjoy listening to them very much! ;D

Better to some, this is up top with their best works IMO.

Also, those two songs are great.  Im glad they were included.

Offline 425

« Reply #1504 on: September 18, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
I like Death or Glory and really like Shadows of the Valley. Honestly right now I think The Book of Souls/Death or Glory/Shadows of the Valley may be the best three-song run on the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time