Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572301 times)

Offline aurorablind

Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1435 on: September 15, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
I guess something like this:

1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Speed of Light
3. El Dorado
4. Revelations
5. The Red and the Black
6. The Evil that Men Do
7. Tears of a Clown
8. The Wicker Man
9. The Book of Souls
10. The Trooper
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden
----------
13. The Number of the Beast
14. Hallowed be thy Name
15. Sanctuary

Offline 425

« Reply #1436 on: September 15, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
This is a combination between a prediction and a hope that I threw together yesterday.

This is also predicated on the assumption that they won't play Empire of the Clouds. I think there's still a chance that they will, but I think odds are that they won't.

1. Speed of Light
2. The Great Unknown
3. The Final Frontier
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight
5. The Trooper
6. The Red and the Black
7. Death or Glory
8. Shadows of the Valley
9. Sea of Madness
10. If Eternity Should Fail
11. The Book of Souls
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
-----------------------------
14. The Wicker Man
15. The Number of the Beast
16. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
17. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Also, to be clear, we are now sort of discussing TBOS in this thread by having these setlists. I don't think anyone objects to that at this point, and I hate to be the constant Iron Maiden thread police, but we do now have three Iron Maiden threads ongoing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: September 15, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Holy crap mladen, we have the same set lists except El Dorado vs coming home lol

And I'm all for consolidating the threads, no point in so many now.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1438 on: September 15, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Yeah, I think we were both very realistic. :biggrin:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1439 on: September 15, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »
*snip*
Eh, guess you just had to be there.

jealous.  I would be there if I weren't -5 years of age in '86 :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1440 on: September 15, 2015, 03:39:58 PM »
That's it.  My brother had it on DVD, it was much better quality than that video but same source I'm guessing.

EDIT:  Man I wish there was a DVD for the SiT tour:

Caught Somewhere in Time
2 Minutes to Midnight
Sea of Madness
Children of the Damned
Stranger in a Strange Land
Wasted Years
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Guitar Solo
Heaven Can Wait
Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Running Free
Sanctuary

What a setlist!!!
Eh, guess you just had to be there.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Hell yes. That tour was awesome!! Even if we didn't get Sea Of Madness.

Sneak, there are a couple of pretty good boots from this tour. The Philly show is from the in house video feed. Also the one camera angle pro shot Paris show.

There is a decent enough audience boot from Sheffield, and probably my all time favorite audience boot, the Troy, NY show. A GREAT view of Nicko.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
That is an amazing setlist.  And the Walking on Air guitar solos are incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1442 on: September 15, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
Sneak, there are a couple of pretty good boots from this tour. The Philly show is from the in house video feed. Also the one camera angle pro shot Paris show.

There is a decent enough audience boot from Sheffield, and probably my all time favorite audience boot, the Troy, NY show. A GREAT view of Nicko.

Ahh, I watched the Paris one last night on YouTube, pretty decent sound, although Bruce is really struggling on it.

I need to track down the other ones you mentioned.  I think 'Arry's said it before but it must be one of their great regrets that they never filmed a show from this tour.  Everything about it is fantastic.

That is an amazing setlist.  And the Walking on Air guitar solos are incredible.

Pardon my noobness, but what's Walking on Air?  A google search comes up with a Katy Perry song... either Davey has some massive foresight/horrible taste or it's the wrong song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1443 on: September 15, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
Philly '87
Caught Somewhere In Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okO-fsrHxg4

Sheffield '86
Two Minutes To Midnight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAcja-Xj7QM

Troy NY '87
Rime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1QC-AAYl8

Oh..and Toronto '87
Heaven Can Wait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUli4CY_to
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:01:58 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1444 on: September 15, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
Cheers! :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1445 on: September 15, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »
But this is my beef:  it's two thousand fucking fifteen.  I notice three quarters of the population have smart phones glued to their cocks; you mean to tell me you can't google a setlist for the band you're going to see?   Maiden has been TOTALLY transparent about what they're doing, so any reasonably informed fan can know if they're going to a "album showcase" set or a "classics" set.  All the whiners are in my not so humble opinion, showing their ignorance. 

I only WISH a band like Kiss would do semthing like this; they tour so much and in so many areas, why not do a "makeup classic" tour, sprinkle in a "non-makeup classic" tour, and after a release do a "reunion studio album tour"?

I agree completely. Unfortunately, what I think happens is that, in the U.S., most of these fans stopped paying attention when Bruce left, or after No Prayer came out, or even when SiT had synths. And then they never started paying attention again whatsoever. And then they just see that Iron Maiden is playing near them, and they buy tickets assuming that Maiden is a washed-up nostalgia act.

I mean, let's be clear. Music tastes and music listening patterns aside, these people are dumb for not doing any research whatsoever on the concert they are going to see. But that's how these shows end up packed with people who may not have heard The Book of Souls, or even know that it exists.

I think there's room for them to play a few 80s songs, but no more than a few. I think a good setlist for this tour would have at least 6 and preferably 7 songs from the new album, plus at least 3 and preferably 4 TXF-TFF songs. That still gives you room for about five "classics" (not counting the song Iron Maiden). So you could do Hallowed, Trooper, Number of the Beast, and then a couple other songs—whether that be Fear of the Dark and 2 Minutes to Midnight yet again, or throwing in a slightly deeper cut from the 80s.

Honest question:  do you really believe people are that stupid?   I mean, maybe they are, but I have this same conversation when Ace whines about people not knowing it's him on stage:  I was at the Kiss show last summer, and a) you ought not complain because the guy on stage was fit, sober and played every note like he meant it, and b) not one fan I talked to (including my 14-year old daughter) ACTUALLY thought it was you on the stage. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: September 15, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
Pardon my noobness, but what's Walking on Air?  A google search comes up with a Katy Perry song... either Davey has some massive foresight/horrible taste or it's the wrong song.

It's the guitar solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcTfAbtmbwc

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1447 on: September 15, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
Oh right, its just the name of the solo?  I thought it was a musical quote from another song, put into the solo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1448 on: September 15, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
I've posted these before, but not since the last thread. For those that haven't seen these here are a few shots from the original Somewhere On Tour.

Providence Civic Center
March 30, 1987

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1449 on: September 15, 2015, 04:22:40 PM »
I remember those from the last thread, brilliant!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1450 on: September 15, 2015, 04:26:56 PM »
You gotta remember that this was when you had no idea what the setlist was.
My fondest memory of the shows was the opening notes to Phantom Of The Opera. I remember screaming to my friend, "Holy Shit, they're playing Phantom Of the Fucking Opera!!!!!!!"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1451 on: September 15, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »
Awesome!  Yep, I'm going to stay away from the setlists for this upcoming tour now that they're actually coming to my country :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1452 on: September 15, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »

It's the guitar solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcTfAbtmbwc
That's kick ass. I have no recollection of it, though. I remember Dave's solo on World Slavery, but not this much, much better number. And I believe that was it for the solos and/or instrumentals, although there was probably an oddball version of Losfer Words here and there.

Also, it appears to be called Walking on Glass more often than not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1453 on: September 15, 2015, 04:50:31 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #1454 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
Honest question:  do you really believe people are that stupid?   I mean, maybe they are, but I have this same conversation when Ace whines about people not knowing it's him on stage:  I was at the Kiss show last summer, and a) you ought not complain because the guy on stage was fit, sober and played every note like he meant it, and b) not one fan I talked to (including my 14-year old daughter) ACTUALLY thought it was you on the stage.

I should let you know that I am not typically the "people these days are so dumb smh" type of person. I really do want to believe that people are not stupid. But the reaction in the United States to Iron Maiden's reunion era setlists is hard to explain without concluding that the people who go to the A Matter of Life and Death tour and get surprised and upset when songs from A Matter of Life and Death are played are somewhat lacking in the capacity of foresight, at least.

As for Walking on Glass/Walking in the Air: My understanding is that Walking in the Air is a song from a popular UK Christmas special called The Snowman. The part at about 3:04 in the video wolfking posted is a quote from that song. Finnish metal band Nightwish covered the whole song and released it on their album Oceanborn.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: September 15, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »

I should let you know that I am not typically the "people these days are so dumb smh" type of person. I really do want to believe that people are not stupid. But the reaction in the United States to Iron Maiden's reunion era setlists is hard to explain without concluding that the people who go to the A Matter of Life and Death tour and get surprised and upset when songs from A Matter of Life and Death are played are somewhat lacking in the capacity of foresight, at least.

As for Walking on Glass/Walking in the Air: My understanding is that Walking in the Air is a song from a popular UK Christmas special called The Snowman. The part at about 3:04 in the video wolfking posted is a quote from that song. Finnish metal band Nightwish covered the whole song and released it on their album Oceanborn.

Im sure there were some who were surprised new songs were played, but the majority were upset that none of the classics were played.  No Trooper, Run to the Hills, and Number of the Beast and instead got the ENTIRE new album.  If you don't keep up with IM, I could imagine that this would be a big surprise since in their history they had never done that. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1456 on: September 15, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
The only negative thing I've discovered so far since getting into IM, is that they don't pull out that many deep cuts from their catalogue, and that they're shows seem very short. I'm sure there's a reason behind it, but I was hoping their shows would be more like Rush's in terms of setlists. I guess that means I'll never get to hear Caught Somewhere In Time :-\

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: September 15, 2015, 06:04:11 PM »
The only negative thing I've discovered so far since getting into IM, is that they don't pull out that many deep cuts from their catalogue, and that they're shows seem very short. I'm sure there's a reason behind it, but I was hoping their shows would be more like Rush's in terms of setlists. I guess that means I'll never get to hear Caught Somewhere In Time :-\

You are correct, they are very predictable with the set lists and do not play ANY deep cuts.  I wouldn't say their shows are short.  Usually get a 2 hour slot and end up playing for about an hour and fifty minutes which is standard for a headlining band.  I don't think they can do any longer because if you watch a show, you will see they are very active on stage.  Sadly I believe, you and I will never hear CSiT.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1458 on: September 15, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
I just wish they'd bust out Flight of Icarus again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 425

« Reply #1459 on: September 15, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
They never play a song on a later tour that was not played on the tour for its album.

They probably will never play Caught Somewhere In Time again because they did not like how it translated to the stage.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1460 on: September 16, 2015, 12:09:46 AM »
I wish they would bring out some of the 2000-era stuff that haven`t been played live.
The thin line between love and hate, Montsegur, Starblind, Isle of Avalon..
A new Blaze-song would also be cool. Look for the truth comes to mind. I think that would be a great live-song with Bruce.
And the biggest disappoitment of the re-visited Maiden England tour was that they didn`t play Infinite Dreams! Thats one of my all time favorites. Would love to see them play it with this line-up.

So, I really hope they bring out at least one surprise for this tour.

Offline 425

« Reply #1461 on: September 16, 2015, 12:19:09 AM »
I would love to see Starblind or Isle of Avalon, but I'd say the odds of that happening are less than slim.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1462 on: September 16, 2015, 12:58:43 AM »
I would love to see that Mother of Mercy is played, but I do not see that happening for the upcoming tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: September 16, 2015, 05:49:11 AM »
And the biggest disappoitment of the re-visited Maiden England tour was that they didn`t play Infinite Dreams! Thats one of my all time favorites. Would love to see them play it with this line-up

This was one of the most confusing things about the whole tour.  A definite classic and highlight from Maiden England along with 7th Son and not pulling it out seemed weird.  Still Life should have come out too.  I think they skipped that one too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1464 on: September 16, 2015, 06:49:34 AM »
And the biggest disappoitment of the re-visited Maiden England tour was that they didn`t play Infinite Dreams! Thats one of my all time favorites. Would love to see them play it with this line-up

This was one of the most confusing things about the whole tour.  A definite classic and highlight from Maiden England along with 7th Son and not pulling it out seemed weird.  Still Life should have come out too.  I think they skipped that one too.

I agree on Infinite Dreams and said it at the time. Seemed like the 3 guitars would've been perfect for it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: September 16, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
Yup, lack of infinite dreams was upsetting.

I'd love to see more reunion era songs too like the ones mentioned, but we all know the sad truth

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1467 on: September 16, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »
Just noticed that Ed Force 1 is now a 747. That's a major change which will require lots of training and new certification for Bruce to pilot/captain. Interestingly, they won't actually be carrying very much more equipment with it. It'll just be more efficient as it won't need the structural modifications that the 757 did to accommodate cargo and pax. They'll also enjoy quite a bit more room on board.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: September 16, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Yup, I bleive when they made the announcement it was mentioned that Bruce was in the process of getting the necessary certifications to fly it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1469 on: September 16, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »
I'm ready for some US tour dates. Just sayin'.