Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572534 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1365 on: September 13, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »
In at number 2 here in Australia.  I think that's their highest charting album ever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1366 on: September 13, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »
Yuss, NZ and AUS dates announced.

29th of April in Christchurch and the 1st of May in Auckland.

My youngest daughter's 1st birthday is on the 30th of April.

:/ she's gonna be a tight squeeze

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: September 13, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Yes motherfucker!!  :hefdaddy :metal

Wednesday, 4th May 2016
Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane

Friday, 6th May 2016
Sydney Allphones Arena, Sydney

Monday, 9th May 2016
Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne

Thursday, 12th May 2016
Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide

Saturday, 14th May 2016
Perth Arena, Perth

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1368 on: September 13, 2015, 09:34:22 PM »
The Book Of Souls World Tour will open in the U.S.A in late February with Ed Force One flying in for three shows before, in early March, heading into Central America visiting MEXICO, followed by a much anticipated first ever concert in EL SALVADOR and a return to COSTA RICA. Ed Force One then proceeds into South America for concerts in ARGENTINA, CHILE and a number of shows in BRAZIL before flying back to the USA at the end of March for ten more cities covering the USA and, of course, CANADA in the first two weeks of April.  A long awaited return to JAPAN follows later in April, and then the band are delighted to be playing their first ever shows in CHINA before heading to NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA for a comprehensive tour during the first half of May. Shows in SOUTH AFRICA, Maiden’s first visit there with Bruce, will be the last port of call before Ed Force One heads to EUROPE for a very extensive tour starting in late May and finishing in early August. This will the first time Ed Force One has ever been used on any European Tour dates (other than Bruce’s Fan Club trips to shows) and will provide transport there for at least for the first few weeks.
I have no idea where I'll see them next year. If one of the 13 cities is in Texas I'll certainly see it, but I suspect I'll be catching them on the road somewhere either way. Seeing them in South America has always been really high on my list of things to do, but traveling to South America holds little appeal to me. Part of me wants to do something foolish like catch them in Paris or something. I've had a hankering to get back to the Old World of late. Also seems that our European comrades are likely to get a very different set than what they serve up to us yanks.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1369 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:55 AM »
Sure, do the whole rest of the frakking world before you tour Europe...But I guess by that time the dvd of the tour will be out...   :angel:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1370 on: September 14, 2015, 01:28:05 AM »
Which will you be attending, wolf?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1371 on: September 14, 2015, 05:12:50 AM »
Unsurprisingly, The  Book of Souls entered at # 1 on the album charts selling supposedly 60.000 copies in its first week of release.

Don't know which side of the Atlantic you're on but it's no 1 in the UK.   :tup

As it is in Germany and rightfully so  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1372 on: September 14, 2015, 05:14:46 AM »
Haha, I just checked and its in at Number 2 here - pipped by the one and only Cilla Black at number one!  Goddamn old people buying CDs and shit  :tdwn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: September 14, 2015, 05:19:05 AM »
The Book Of Souls World Tour will open in the U.S.A in late February with Ed Force One flying in for three shows before, in early March, heading into Central America visiting MEXICO, followed by a much anticipated first ever concert in EL SALVADOR and a return to COSTA RICA. Ed Force One then proceeds into South America for concerts in ARGENTINA, CHILE and a number of shows in BRAZIL before flying back to the USA at the end of March for ten more cities covering the USA and, of course, CANADA in the first two weeks of April.  A long awaited return to JAPAN follows later in April, and then the band are delighted to be playing their first ever shows in CHINA before heading to NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA for a comprehensive tour during the first half of May. Shows in SOUTH AFRICA, Maiden’s first visit there with Bruce, will be the last port of call before Ed Force One heads to EUROPE for a very extensive tour starting in late May and finishing in early August. This will the first time Ed Force One has ever been used on any European Tour dates (other than Bruce’s Fan Club trips to shows) and will provide transport there for at least for the first few weeks.
I have no idea where I'll see them next year. If one of the 13 cities is in Texas I'll certainly see it, but I suspect I'll be catching them on the road somewhere either way. Seeing them in South America has always been really high on my list of things to do, but traveling to South America holds little appeal to me. Part of me wants to do something foolish like catch them in Paris or something. I've had a hankering to get back to the Old World of late. Also seems that our European comrades are likely to get a very different set than what they serve up to us yanks.

I doubt the setlist changes between the world leg and the euro leg of the tour.  I personally would love to see IM in England, but I find it likely they hit NYC on the first leg so that's where I will go.  I rejoined the IM fan club last night  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: September 14, 2015, 05:20:23 AM »
I was watching Maiden England last night again, what a great show it is. Seventh Son was the highlight.

It reminded me though that I'm still not a fan of Die With Your Boots On.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: September 14, 2015, 05:21:50 AM »
Number one here in Sweden :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: September 14, 2015, 05:23:49 AM »
Which will you be attending, wolf?

Brisbane mate.  :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #1377 on: September 14, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
Sure, do the whole rest of the frakking world before you tour Europe...But I guess by that time the dvd of the tour will be out...   :angel:

"very extensive tour" in Europe
13 U.S. dates total

If I was a European, I would not be complaining.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: September 14, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »
Entered at #4 in the US Billboards

https://loudwire.com/five-finger-death-punch-iron-maiden-top-5-billboard-200-album-chart/

Same as TFF, but still very good!  :metal :metal

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1379 on: September 14, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »
Since If Eternity Should Fail was meant to be the first song on a solo Bruce  concept album (there's an article on blabbermouth), I wonder if that means he wont be doing that anymore. Because it would be kinda weird if he did that concept album now. Wouldnt it be cool if the next Maiden album was this concept album Bruce was gonna do? Would be awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
Went and found that article
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-has-demoed-six-songs-for-solo-concept-album/

Pretty interesting stuff regarding that song, but sadly no Bruce solo album next year or the year after.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1381 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »
I don't want to just have a knee-jerk reaction and say EotC is the best song on BoS just because it's the long epic and all that, but I really think it's the best.

Empire of the Clouds
Man of Sorrows
Speed of Light
Death or Glory
If Eternity Should Fail
Shadows of the Valley
Tears of a Clown
When the River Runs Deep
The Book of Souls
The Great Unknown
The Red and the Black

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1382 on: September 14, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
Empire of the Clouds
The Man of Sorrows
The Book of Souls
Tears of a Clown
If Eternity Should Fail
Shadows of the Valley
When the River Runs Deep
The Red and the Black
Death or Glory
Speed of Light
The Great Unknown
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: September 14, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
I've had enough listens to do a ranking, although it could change:

The Red and the Black
The Book of Souls
If Eternity Should Fail
Empire of the Clouds
Speed of Light
Death or Glory
Shadows of the Valley
When the River Runs Deep
Tears of a Clown
The Great Unknown
The Man of Sorrows

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1384 on: September 14, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
Empire Of The Clouds
The Book Of Souls
The Red And The Black

When The River Runs Deep
The Great Unknown
Speed Of Light
Tears Of The Clown
The Man Of Sorrows

If Eternity Should Fail
Death Or Glory
Shadows Of The valley
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1385 on: September 14, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »

I doubt the setlist changes between the world leg and the euro leg of the tour.  I personally would love to see IM in England, but I find it likely they hit NYC on the first leg so that's where I will go.  I rejoined the IM fan club last night  :metal
They tend to play "greatest hits" sets when they tour the states, because that's what the average concert-goer wants. That's why we only got four or five proper Dod and AMoLaD shows here. They'd come back and do greatest hits tours at a different time. Same deal with TFF tour, where we got something completely unrelated (though totally kick ass in every way).  It's very rare for them to play new songs other than a single or two outside of NYC and LA.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: September 14, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
A question?

Who is playing the solo from 8:40-9:10 in TRaTB? It's really unique, and I've never heard anything like it on a Maiden album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: September 14, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »

They tend to play "greatest hits" sets when they tour the states, because that's what the average concert-goer wants. That's why we only got four or five proper Dod and AMoLaD shows here. They'd come back and do greatest hits tours at a different time. Same deal with TFF tour, where we got something completely unrelated (though totally kick ass in every way).  It's very rare for them to play new songs other than a single or two outside of NYC and LA.

Your examples are good reasons for why they WILL play the same set.  DoD and AMoLaD shows in the US were a small amount of dates and those got the full sets like everyone else.  This tour will also be a small amount of dates in the US, I would bet my house its the same set for Europe.  If they do another wave of US dates after then maybe I can see them change it up.  Regardless, the change it set lists would likely be reunion era song replaced with wrathchild.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1388 on: September 14, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
A question?

Who is playing the solo from 8:40-9:10 in TRaTB? It's really unique, and I've never heard anything like it on a Maiden album.

Adrian  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: September 14, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
The setlist will be the same. The small string of US dates falls within the tour. Even the first TFF tour in the US was basically it's own leg, and IIRC, the new album wasn't even out yet.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1390 on: September 14, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
Hard not to notice that we didn't get to see Talisman, Coming Home and Wild Wind here in the states.

Y'all might well be right, but that would only tell me that there won't be any Southern dates. In fact, my money would be 3 shows on the West Coast-->South America-->Canada and the NE territories.

That said, three shows does sound suspiciously like Dallas, Houston and San Antonio/Austin with a quick hop down to Mexico. Still, I don't see them playing 3 in Texas and only 10 for the rest of the States.
E.F. Benson

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1391 on: September 14, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »
My current premature ranking:

Classic tier:
If Eternity Should Fail
Empire of the Clouds

Good/great tier:
The Red and the Black
When the River Runs Deep
Death or Glory
Speed of Light
Tears of a Clown
The Book of Souls
Shadows of the Valley

Forgetable tier:
The Great Unknown
The Man of Sorrows

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1392 on: September 14, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »
So many people The Man of Sorrows at the bottom or near the bottom makes me sad. Definitely one of my favourite reunion era Maiden songs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1393 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »
3 shows to me sounds like NY and Florida, and then the 10 come a few weeks later. I'd expect a Texas show for you Bart.

I just hope they play Boston, that's all I can say.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: September 14, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »
Botton doesnt mean bad on my list.  Man of Sorrows has a really cool and different instrumental part that is pretty rad.  The album is strong, something's gotta be last.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1395 on: September 14, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
Botton doesnt mean bad on my list.  Man of Sorrows has a really cool and different instrumental part that is pretty rad.  The album is strong, something's gotta be last.

Exactly.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1396 on: September 14, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
Texas and Arizona are the beginning of the second tier insofar as touring goes. For a small tour, and this definitely qualifies, we don't generally make the cut. Once it gets to the point that Texas is in it's usually all three cities (and five more if you're Tool or Saxon). This is sounding to me a lot like DOD or AMolaD, where only the top NA cities get proper gigs.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1397 on: September 14, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Quote from: Bruce
“Three songs off the new album is not enough. There’ll maybe be four or five,” he told News.com.
Yup, there went Texas.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »
Ranking the songs on this album is really hard, everything here is brilliant, but I'll take a stab;

The Red and The Black
Empire of the Clouds
The Book of Souls
If Eternity Should Fail
The Man of Sorrows
Shadows of the Valley
Death or Glory
The Great Unknown
Where The River Runs Deep
Tears of A Clown
Speed of Light

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1399 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
A question?

Adrian  ;)

Is that the one that has a lot of pauses in it?  If so, that's a weak solo.