Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573333 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1330 on: September 10, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »
The structure of The Nomad was a point that always made me really enjoy it.  That whole moody breakdown section is a fantastic touch.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1331 on: September 10, 2015, 05:59:03 AM »
I am really amazed that Maiden can put out such a quality album this late in their career. I don't know if it's the best of the Reunion-Maiden, I need many more listens to be able to rank it, but what is clear from the beginning: this thing delivers.

This is the later, proggier Maiden that is maybe not as wild as their 80s output but more mature and still rocking heavy. After the decline in the 90s who would have thought that some 20 years later they would still (or again) put out high quality albums.

Everyone is strong on TBoS but I especially like Dickinson's vocal delivery here. You can hear that his voice changed over time and with age, he isn't reaching for the absolute high notes and sometimes his voice sounds strained, but he still sounds so powerful and deeply emotional, he still can hold notes like no other and has this vibrato, which I absolutely adore. And the guy is what? 57? Impressive!  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1332 on: September 10, 2015, 06:15:40 AM »
Still listening to disc 2 in the car at the moment.  This album is incredible, from start to finish, the band have knocked this out of the fucking park, I can't believe it.  Empire of the Clouds is one of the most emotional, moving and stunning pieces of music I've ever heard.  Hearing it full ball in the car made me realise just how fucking amazing and special this piece of music is. 

Death and Glory is a cracker and so lively and well done.  Shadows of the Valley has that amazing middle section and the whoa oh part is just epic and one of the best parts of the album IMO.  Tears of A Clown i a solid enough addition which gets better each time and The Man of Sorrows is one of the most ambitious and unique pieces the band have done too.  Dave nailed this one too.  Those key changes give me chills.

I don't see how the band could possibly top this.  I would love to see the band make another couple of albums because no band this far into their career I believe has accomplished what they have here.  In a way, if this was the bands swansong, you could hardly argue.

Iron Maiden have been by a long margin my favourite band since I discovered them about 16-17 years ago, but what they have done here just confirms that even more and makes me proud to be a fan.  A band 40 years into their career creating what could be a top 3-5 all time album, maybe higher, is just unheard of.

Well done Bruce, Steve, Dave, Adrian, Janick and Nicko, the stars aligned perfectly for this and you have created something extrordinary.  Metal gods of the highest order.

You've said it. Couldn't say it any better. Up the Irons!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: September 10, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »
Wolf, I have a feeling this album is going to give X factor a run for its money for you. Do you think I'm right?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1334 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
I'm a metal guy from way back (Maiden in '82 was my first concert) but I'm a melody guy as well, which is why I don't like Thrash or any of the really extreme metal.

With that, this is a monumental album.  I bought it day of release, but waited until I had a good stretch in the car to listen.  I got through disk 1 yesterday and disk 2 this morning.   This is an epic record by any standard.   Still sorting out the individual songs a bit, so "Speed of Light" is my favorite only because I've heard it more times than all the other stuff combined.

Won't repeat what has been said here, except to say:
- I've long said Dickinson is the best metal frontman ever (even over Halford and Dio) and this seals it.   He sings his tits off on this, takes chances, and doesn't phone it in, then delivers the highlight of the album (in my opinion), "Empire of the Clouds".
- Dave Murray is the best guitarist you've (probably) never heard of.   In a band with four guitar players (counting 'arry) and now keyboards, you can tell almost every note he plays.   There is even a point where Smith and Gers are playing a harmony line (ala Thin Lizzy) and Murray is soloing over THAT, and it sounds amazing!   As important to Maiden as Harris and Dickinson, in my opinion.
- Not just Dave, but as a whole, the guitars sound AWESOME.  Sometimes Maiden can get a little trebly, especially Gers (and less so, but sometimes, Smith) but here them guitars are so lush and full and warm, but they still cut like knifes.
- What other band can have three top-flight guitar players and a lead bassist, and STILL add keys and make them essential?   I forget what song, but it might have been The Man of Sorrows, but there is a point where the keys fade in under a harmony line, and just elevates the entire song.
- Kudos to Harris.  This is clearly his band, he calls the shots, but that album is as much Murray and Dickinson as Harris (in fact, I would say this is almost Dickinson's band at this point) and yet it is seamless.  Maybe there are egos behind the scenes but in the music, it is a total ensemble effort (the word that kept popping up was "orchestra".  This is a metal "orchestra").

Can anyone name a better album by a band that has been in existence at Maiden's level for almost 35 years?   This is still fresh, but it at least has the potential to be one of the three best albums the band has ever done, and that after 35 years, in an environment where many bands (Hagar, Kiss, Leppard) question the idea of even putting out new material.   

Finally, I don't think I want to see "Empire of the Clouds" live, as just another song in the set.  I can see them doing an hour, then taking a break and doing another hour or hour and a half, with "Empire..." kicking that off, but I think I'd rather see Maiden do a "S&M" thing like Metallica, and have them do "Empire...", "Journeyman", "Avalon", and maybe rearrange a couple others ("Children of the Damned", "Rime") and make it an EVENT.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:27 AM »
That whole moody breakdown section is a fantastic touch.

This is what I really like about that song.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »
I haven't listened to that album in a long time now, I must remedy that tonight.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:41 AM »
Totally agree on your assessment of Murray, the guy is like an unknown legend and very much integral to IM as much as SH or BD IMO too, he is on every album.

I'd love IM to do an S&M type of performance, but I don't see them doing it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1338 on: September 10, 2015, 08:22:14 AM »
You know what's fascinating is that different metal fans can listen to the same songs and hear totally different things. I've read reviews saying the solos are lame (I think they're awesome). I've seen opinions range on Nicko's drumming from best to worst. I've read criticisms that the album has no riffs, that there's too many boring intros, etc. I don't hear any of those things and I've been listening to Maiden since '83 so it's not like I don't have a frame of reference.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1339 on: September 10, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
This album is getting better with each listen and I'm finally seeing what all the hype is about. There is a very classic feeling to the album that the other reunion albums don't quite capture. This album seems like the natural follow up to SSOSS. I'm not sure where I'll end up ranking it because I love AMOLAD and BNW but is far and away better than Dance of Death and The Final Frontier which I think is a bottom 5 Maiden record.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1340 on: September 10, 2015, 09:28:03 AM »
I notice you singling out Murray, but don´t forget about McBrain here. He kicks ass all over this one.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1341 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
I notice you singling out Murray, but don´t forget about McBrain here. He kicks ass all over this one.
Yup.  I said that last week. Incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1342 on: September 10, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »
I've never agreed with the "McBrain is boring" comments. I think he is the perfect drummer for Maiden, and I think he just plays the right part for the songs (all of them do, at this point).   That's the thing about Maiden; they are all stellar players, but don't really feel the need to blow it into your face every 35 seconds.  It just happens. :P

For the guitars, just listen to the single; I didn't pick up on it before, but I'm pretty sure the solo break is divided into three segments, and each guy takes one (if I had to guess, I'd say Murray, Gers, Smith) and all three are relevant, interesting, and bring something new to the song.  Usually I don't care for the "single" on a Maiden record, but this is right now my favorite song on the record (not the same as the "highlight", which is EotC; that's on another plane altogether).

(See what I did there?)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1343 on: September 10, 2015, 03:45:18 PM »
I agree with all that everyone has said about this album. Incredible accomplishment. I have felt the same about AMOLAD and TFF, which are both in my Top 4. While I don't think this will eclipse either, it is still an amazing and spectacular album. I've been a Maiden fan since 1981 and I can't believe they are still around making (musical) life changing music. That's what this album does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: September 10, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »
Wolf, I have a feeling this album is going to give X factor a run for its money for you. Do you think I'm right?

Bro, I'm not sure, I totally didn't expect this.  As I said in another thread earlier, if I review all my top albums and start looking at everything differently with less of the nostalgia few, then perhaps something like this could be a better album.  Again, I really didn't see this coming from Maiden.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1345 on: September 10, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
Again, I really didn't see this coming from Maiden.

How could you not? They have done nothing but amaze me in the Reunion Era.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: September 10, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »
Even though I'm fully praising the album, while the solos are great and all, they are nothing too special IMO.  They are certainly less sloppy in places though.  In fact, I think there is less memorable solos from the boys then some of the other reunion era songs.  But again, time will tell and it's not really an issue because the songs are so good.  And I think that's the thing, the songs are so strong, the solos are there to compliment and not be the focus of the music, like somettimes I feel they have been in the past.

Disc 2 certainly has the better guitar work also IMO in terms of solos.  Death and Glory and Shadows probably have the most impressive solos IMO.  Followed by Man of Sorrows.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: September 10, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »
Again, I really didn't see this coming from Maiden.

How could you not? They have done nothing but amaze me in the Reunion Era.

Agreed, but this IMO has been taken up another level again.  TFF was a weird album for me.  It was the album that grew the most, and it felt different for Maiden, while still being an amazing album.  This I think will blow it out of the water, and could easily be the best reunion album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1348 on: September 10, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. I've been a huge TFF guy since its release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: September 10, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
Yeah, it was a massive grower for me, I didn't like it at the start.  The production really let it down too.

With this album now, do you think all the Janick shit talk is put to rest once and for all?  (I mean, not by us, but the purists that say he should have been fired when H came back)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1350 on: September 10, 2015, 04:22:05 PM »
I'm a purist and Adrian was my favorite member when he left. I remember exactly where I was when I read the news.

I accepted Janick the minute they hit the stage with Tailgunner on that tour. He brought out so much fun in Dave Murray, you just knew he was the perfect guy for the band at the time.

I think the off stage chemistry is a huge thing for this band, and I firmly believe that Janick has a very underrated effect on the band in this area.

Offline 425

« Reply #1351 on: September 10, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »
Agreed. Whenever you watch any of their tour documentaries, Janick definitely seems to play a role in the band that is just as important as anyone else's, Steve excepted. And in the songwriting department, he's a huge contributor as well.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: September 10, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
I've had a soft spot for his songwriting for sure, especially his reunion era tracks, adds a nice different dimension to the albums.

And Tim, I agree with what you said Janick bringing the fun out in Dave.  I'd say he influenced the whole band in that way too, look at the Donington 92 performance, all of them are just going nuts on stage, love it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1353 on: September 10, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
Seriously, as bad as No Prayer is, that tour was incredible and one of my all time favorite Maiden shows.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1354 on: September 10, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »
Even though I'm fully praising the album, while the solos are great and all, they are nothing too special IMO.  They are certainly less sloppy in places though.  In fact, I think there is less memorable solos from the boys then some of the other reunion era songs.

Yeah I'd agree with that.  I think Adrian's solo in TRaTB qualifies here, its awfully disjointed and not phrased very well. I think that's because of the way the album was written in the studio, he didn't have the same amount of time to construct a solo the way he normally does, so it seems pretty off the cuff, and suffers for it.  That's how I see it anyway.

Davey's solos are awesome tho, I feel he's probably the strongest here; he seems to be a bit more aggressive.

Jan is pretty much playing the same licks he has for ages.  But I agree that he's integral to the band.  As long as he's churning out magic like the title track, I don't think anyone has any right to complain tbh. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »
I pretty much agree.  Dave is stronger than the last couple of albums, Adrian is quite a bit weaker IMO and Janick is the same.

Listening to The Man of Sorrows, Dave's solo is very FOTD era, great stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1356 on: September 11, 2015, 05:29:13 PM »
Wait, what, people are saying the vinyl version has a dedicated vinyl mastering? Vinyl mastering is apparently credited to a guy named Chris Bellman (aside from Ade Emsley, who is credited for the album's mastering in general).

Many, if not most bands just slap the CD mastering on vinyl, so this is great. I do not own the vinyl yet, so can't comment on it myself, but this sounds promising. For all the crap sound productions modern IM gives us, at least they acknowledge the vinyl medium benefits from dedicated mastering.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1357 on: September 11, 2015, 07:09:35 PM »
Oh wow.  I had a listen to the vinyl at my brothers over last weekend but his system wasn't the best so couldn't really tell the difference, but itd be interesting to compare.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1358 on: September 12, 2015, 04:35:19 AM »
Unsurprisingly, The  Book of Souls entered at # 1 on the album charts selling supposedly 60.000 copies in its first week of release.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: September 12, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
Unsurprisingly, The  Book of Souls entered at # 1 on the album charts selling supposedly 60.000 copies in its first week of release.

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: September 13, 2015, 04:32:49 AM »
This album just keeps getting better and better, it's absurd.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1361 on: September 13, 2015, 05:52:03 AM »
Absolutely. I´m speechless on the beauty that is Empire of the clouds. BOS entered the Dutch album charts at # 6.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: September 13, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
Absolutely. I´m speechless on the beauty that is Empire of the clouds. BOS entered the Dutch album charts at # 6.

Not high enough.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1363 on: September 13, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »

Don't know which side of the Atlantic you're on but it's no 1 in the UK.   :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: September 13, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
This album just keeps getting better and better, it's absurd.

agreed