Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 558161 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
I think thats one of the many awesome aspects of the songs and its something IM haven't done.  Really makes the song stick out and adds power to Bruce's vocals.  That song is a BEAST and although it kind of is like your standard Steve Harris IM epic, it really feels like its one of the better ones IMO.  Granted it is also new so maybe over time my opinion will change.

It's not really a new thing for Maiden; Steve did the same thing on the last album with When the Wild Wind Blows. It just felt more natural/less noticeable there because the main melody was more nursery rhyme-ish. Also, while Bruce does sing really high on the main melody for TRatB, he sounds strained a lot of the time to me. I'm hesitant to imagine him singing this song consistently on the tour next year.

As for where this song ranks among Steve's IM epics... honestly, I think this one's the weakest he's done in a long time. At least since No More Tears and possibly even longer than that. It's not as lyrically repetitive as a lot of his stuff from the late 80's onward, but I just get the impression that Steve sat down one afternoon in the studio, came up with a bunch of riffs and strung 'em together and said, "Eh, that should do." It comes off like an incomplete homework essay that was rushed at the last second. Something that could have been absolutely incredible, had Steve just taken more time to work things out.

I think that's the result of how this album was written mostly in the studio spontaneously (IESF, SoL and DoG were all written in advance though). I think the new approach worked brilliantly, as the band sounds incredibly inspired on this album, but I think Steve himself probably works better when he's given a bit more time to tinker around with his own work.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, how does Speed of Light rank compared to the rest of the songs.  Is it one of the weaker tracks?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, how does Speed of Light rank compared to the rest of the songs.  Is it one of the weaker tracks?

My initial take is that it is one of the weaker tracks, but I still need to digest the album more, however Speed of Light is also growing on me the more I listen to it so who knows.  I'd say im certain it is not near the top of my track rankings though.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human

It's a weaker track, but it's not the weakest track imo. That'd be TRatB for me.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Polarbear

The Book of Souls is a great album for sure!!

Brave New World is still my favorite reunion era album, but TBoS and AMOLAD share the second place!

The Red and the Black and Shadows of the Valley didn't do anything for me at first, but both are growing on me.
The title track, If Eternity Should Fail and Empire of the Clouds are the highlights of the album. My favorite song of the album is The Great Unknown though. For me The Great Unknown sounds like a mix of Brave New World (song), Ghost of the Navigator and Infinite Dreams, just an awesome song!

Top.5 as of now.

1. The Great Unknown
2. Empire of the Clouds
3. The Book of Souls
4. If Eternity Should Fail
5. Tears of a Clown

Offline Art

I love the album.  :metal

Itīs too soon to rank it for me, but itīs safe to say that itīs a very good effort. I want to listen to a high quality sound file, because of course the mp3 that i got itīs pretty bad. i have pre-ordered the album in CD format.

up the irons!  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Givin it one full spin, and Death and Glory stands out as my favorite of the shorter tracks. Empire of the Clouds is just fucking beast level, I'll go see them live for that track alone.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #987 on: September 01, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
 I never really got  into iron maiden… I know… But it's been on my list of bands I want to get more into. With the new album coming out, I listen to one track from it and enjoyed it, so I'd like some suggestions on where I should start.

Now obviously I have listens to run to the hills and the number of the beast, and I enjoyed both of those tracks a lot. Should I start with that album?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #988 on: September 01, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »
I never really got  into iron maiden… I know… But it's been on my list of bands I want to get more into. With the new album coming out, I listen to one track from it and enjoyed it, so I'd like some suggestions on where I should start.

Now obviously I have listens to run to the hills and the number of the beast, and I enjoyed both of those tracks a lot. Should I start with that album?

It is a pretty solid album.  Honestly, what hooked me as a recent fan was their live stuff.  For most bands, I would not necessarily recommend that new fans start with live material.  But Maiden is an exception.  SUCH a great live band.  If you have any time at all, pick of the DVD's for either Rock In Rio or En Vivo and watch them (you can also find the complete shows on YouTube, but come on man!  Support that band!). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Givin it one full spin, and Death and Glory stands out as my favorite of the shorter tracks. Empire of the Clouds is just fucking beast level, I'll go see them live for that track alone.

Im very curious as to whether or not Bruce would play the piano live, I'd really like to see them do it, but I doubt it.  I believe they tour with a keyboardist off stage, but it would be amazing for them to pull out a grand piano and have Bruce play and sing.

Offline 425

« Reply #990 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
Agreed with bosk. Maiden is better live than they are in studio. I would say to get the DVDs of either Rock In Rio or En Vivo for a slant towards contemporary Maiden, and Live After Death for classic Maiden, and because that's pretty widely considered the best live heavy metal video ever.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
Go with Flight 666, an amazing documentary that will make you fall in love with the band and also includes the full set list from that tour (which was exclusively 80s material). Then I say branch out to En Vivo to hear the newer stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #992 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:43 AM »
Hmm, yeah, Flight 666 is a good choice. It includes most of the highlights from Live After Death but with a few other late 80s songs.

And the documentary is pretty damn awesome. To explain it briefly: Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson is a pilot, so when the band goes on tour, they pack everything into a Boeing 757 (next tour it'll be a 747) which Bruce flies.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #993 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:50 AM »
Flight 666 is cool.  But for a new fan wanting a standard concert, I would not start there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #994 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
Perhaps not (simply because it's not one concert but a bunch of performances from different shows), but it does have the setlist that is the best overview of 80s Maiden, so that's worth considering. Bosk, I know you lean strongly towards the modern era, and I do too, but I think it's good to note that LAD and F666 showcase what most consider to be their golden era musically.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: September 01, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
Even if its not a single concert, its VERY well done and has each of the songs played on that tour so it's about the same as a full concert, just where every song is in a different venue/country.

My point on F666 is that its ridiculous value for your money.  The documentary is the best I had ever seen for a band and then add in the full concert.  The video and audio is superb. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree Cram. One spotlight on Bruce.. Amazing!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #997 on: September 01, 2015, 09:43:17 AM »
   The documentary is the best I had ever seen for a band 

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #998 on: September 01, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
That's true. LAD has (in my opinion) the superior performance quality and the authenticity of being the 80s material recorded in 1985. But F666 does have that documentary, has Janick, and (if this is something that might put someone off) the band is not dressed as ridiculously :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
The intro to Shadows Of The Valley sounds a little like a slowed down Wasted Years intro :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1000 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
The intro to Shadows Of The Valley sounds a little like a slowed down Wasted Years intro :P

Yea, I hear the similarities

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
the band is not dressed as ridiculously :lol

:lol it is easier on the eyes, those outfits  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1002 on: September 01, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's intentional. The song even refers to Sea of Madness lyrically. :hat

Im very curious as to whether or not Bruce would play the piano live, I'd really like to see them do it, but I doubt it.  I believe they tour with a keyboardist off stage, but it would be amazing for them to pull out a grand piano and have Bruce play and sing.

Bruce has gone on record saying that he doesn't think they'll play Empire live, but Dave's also said that he thinks the band can and should play it live. So hopefully Dave wins that battle.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: September 01, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »
Interesting, I didnt know they were quoted about playing any of the new songs live.  Historically they always played the epic track on each album minus Alexander the Great, but then again with TBoS and TRatB, those could be played instead.  Who knows, this album is worthy of the AMoLaD live treatment, but I dont think they will do something like that again, especially since this album is even longer and would only leave room for an encore.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1004 on: September 01, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »
   Who knows, this album is worthy of the AMoLaD live treatment, but I dont think they will do something like that again, especially since this album is even longer and would only leave room for an encore.

That is not the plan. I know I read something recently on this subject. I think it was in the Steve Harris interview that someone linked from MaidenFans.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1005 on: September 01, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »
Since Iron Maiden (opening for Priest) was my first concert ever back in '82, and because I'm a joiner, I'll give my list:

1. Powerslave
2. Killers
3. Piece of Mind
4. Somewhere In Time
5. The Number of the Beast
6. Dance of Death
7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
8. The Final Frontier
9. A Matter of Life and Death
10. Brave New World
11. Iron Maiden
12. No Prayer for the Dying
13. Fear of the Dark
14. The X Factor
15. Virtual XI

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1006 on: September 01, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Since Iron Maiden (opening for Priest) was my first concert ever back in '82,

I remember the tour vividly, and knew a couple of kids who went. I was not able to go to concerts yet, but saw them the following August on the Piece Of Mind tour.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1007 on: September 01, 2015, 11:01:26 AM »
Bruce has gone on record saying that he doesn't think they'll play Empire live, but Dave's also said that he thinks the band can and should play it live. So hopefully Dave wins that battle.
Is this from an interview somewhere? I'd love to read it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1008 on: September 01, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
Dave doesn't seem to be the battling type! :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1009 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:15 AM »
From everything I've heard so far, I would almost prefer the AMOLAD treatment than hear "the hits" for the umteenth time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1010 on: September 01, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
From everything I've heard so far, I would almost prefer the AMOLAD treatment than hear "the hits" for the umteenth time.

Oh, I totally agree.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1011 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »
Is this from an interview somewhere? I'd love to read it.

It's a foreign interview, if memory serves me right. I think it was either Germany or Brazil. Could be wrong though. I'm pretty sure Bruce's comments on Empire were from a French interview he did a couple weeks ago.

Interesting, I didnt know they were quoted about playing any of the new songs live.  Historically they always played the epic track on each album minus Alexander the Great, but then again with TBoS and TRatB, those could be played instead.  Who knows, this album is worthy of the AMoLaD live treatment, but I dont think they will do something like that again, especially since this album is even longer and would only leave room for an encore.

I have a feeling those two will definitely be played, but I'd much, much rather see Empire than TRatB personally.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1012 on: September 01, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »
Gave it a full spin yesterday, without skipping Speed of Light as I did yesterday, its actually better in context I feel - it ties the album together and gives a bit of respite between all the epics.

I really don't know that Empire will ever be played live.  I think if it did, Kenney would be playing the piano part - Bruce has said in an interview that the piano he recorded was done through MIDI so they could edit it, which leads me to believe he'd need a bit of practice to pull it off live.  Which is doable, but I don't know how Bruce would feel being tied down to a piano for 18mins :lol  But it seems like it would be difficult for reasons other than that as well, lots of different parts, moreso than any other epic, that weird 15/8 riff (or maybe its | 4/4 | 4/4 | 4/4 | 3/4 | ), the oddball changes and stuff like that.  It would be fantastic to see live though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1013 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
Since Iron Maiden (opening for Priest) was my first concert ever back in '82,

I remember the tour vividly, and knew a couple of kids who went. I was not able to go to concerts yet, but saw them the following August on the Piece Of Mind tour.

Saw that too at New Haven Coliseum; Coney Hatch (sucked) and Fastway (awesome) opened.   The band started with "Where Eagles Dare" and Dickinson's mike wasn't working so he sang the first verse with no mike and I could still hear him (I was about 40 feet from the stage, but on the side).   Blew me away.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1014 on: September 01, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
I was lucky to see Maiden live on that great 3 album run of POM, Powerslave and SIT tours.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC