Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557703 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #875 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
I have no problems with spoilers in here, I love reading peoples reactions and makes me more excited.

Guys, please us your thoughts when you can please.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: August 28, 2015, 04:41:07 PM »
I'm shocked at how much I'm loving this on the first listen.

Why are you shocked?  This is expected  :biggrin:

Offline 425

« Reply #877 on: August 28, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
Eh, if people are going to be talking about the leak I'm out. I don't like to ruin everyone's fun but I can't help making the parting remark that I really, really hate that this happens. I mean the thing will be out in a week anyway, why even bother? Whatever.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: August 28, 2015, 05:01:53 PM »
Eh, if people are going to be talking about the leak I'm out. I don't like to ruin everyone's fun but I can't help making the parting remark that I really, really hate that this happens. I mean the thing will be out in a week anyway, why even bother? Whatever.

Some people just can't resist.  I'll wait to the release but don't mind people taling about it.  A seperate thread for the album maybe then they can just get merged here once it's out?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #879 on: August 28, 2015, 05:49:32 PM »
Yeah, but it's pretty much against forum rules I believe to even discuss leaked material, spoiler alert or not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #880 on: August 28, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
Yea can't we just wait? It's out in a week anyway.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: August 28, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
Tim's gonna tell on you guys, look out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #882 on: August 28, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »
Tim's gonna tell on you guys, look out.

:lol

Except this is the Forum Administrator's first NEW Maiden album since becoming a fan. I think he's paying attention.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: August 28, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »
That's a pretty valid point actually haha.

Offline 425

« Reply #884 on: August 28, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »
I think technically you're allowed to discuss leaked material of bands other than DT? Which is kind of weird to apply the standard differently, though I get why it's there. But often in these threads some kind of determination is made about whether the leaked album will be discussed.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: August 28, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
I think you're right, in regards to DT it's much more strict than other bands. 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:32 PM »
Lets be realistic here.  We all know the album will kick ass and that we will all love it.  End of story.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #887 on: August 28, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
Lets be realistic here.  We all know the album will kick ass and that we will all love it.  End of story.

That is a pretty fair point to make.

I mean if Iron Maiden, personally, gave the green light to stream it through like iTunes and stuff, should we then discuss it without any problems?

Offline 425

« Reply #888 on: August 28, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Yes. Because by then it has been officially released by the band.

I don't want to get into the piracy thing here, but you absolutely must admit that if you're listening to it right now, you are listening to it against the band's and label's will. Many of us are unwilling to do that, and that's why I think it's best to wait until the thing is actually released legally.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: August 28, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
I can wait 6 more days till I get the cd, no prob

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #890 on: August 29, 2015, 02:26:15 AM »
I dont wanna ruin anything for anyone so.

But I personally don't see the issue with dloading if you've paid for the pre-order. 

I'm so fucking pumped for the shows and incredibly proud of what they've achieved with this... I just... Fuck.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #891 on: August 29, 2015, 04:09:26 AM »
Besides the moral and legalities of listening to the leak.
If you are then you are shortchanging yourself at the very least with the poor quality compressed crappy 192kps mp3.
Your not hearing everything that you will get with the actual CD.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #892 on: August 29, 2015, 04:39:44 AM »
I will be honest, I am probably going to listen to the leak and I did so many times for other albums before. Still, I can see the moral issues here (just like with downloading in general) and respect your opinions on this matter.

And, well, since there is so much (great) new material from many of my favourite bands, I may just be able to sit this one out for once, heh. I am also thankful that I can listen to most of those legally trough spotify now. I will buy Maiden on vinyl probably, though that book version looks pretty neat.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:45:24 AM by ErHaO »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #893 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »
So Bruce had cancer and they still were able to get a new album in half a decade... What is Metallicas and Tools excuse?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #894 on: August 29, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
The return to faster tempos is certainly good news, provided it proves to be true.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #895 on: August 30, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »
Asked by a fan if "The Book Of Souls" will turn out to IRON MAIDEN's final full-length release, Dickinson responded: "I really hope that this is not the last album. I've had way too much fun making this one. I'm gonna have way too much fun and enjoy the next tour for a variety of reasons. I'm happily chatting to you and running around and leaping around or flying airplanes. And the next stop is gonna be a tour and some singing."
Nice to hear that they're in good spirit, not that I doubted that but it's nice to hear nevertheless.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #896 on: August 30, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
Sooo.....after years of avoiding Maiden, I've finally gave em a listen and am officially a fan! Ran out and bought the first five albums and I'm playing them on repeat. Looking to grab Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son real soon. Probably gonna grab the new one this week when it hits shelves.

I know, I'm a moron for not getting into them sooner. This I realize.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #897 on: August 30, 2015, 12:01:54 PM »
I will defend the music of everything after the first 5 as being more mature (mostly...until No Prayer anyway) musically.    But you will notice a *sharp* decline in the quality of the choruses from this point forward.    At least until you get up to A Matter of Life and Death.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #898 on: August 30, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
I will defend the music of everything after the first 5 as being more mature (mostly...until No Prayer anyway) musically.    But you will notice a *sharp* decline in the quality of the choruses from this point forward.    At least until you get up to A Matter of Life and Death.

Understood. My buddy who got me into them warned me to stay away from No Prayer and both Blaze albums, which he said were absolute shit.

Right now, I'm overwhelmed by the size of their catalog cuz I'm trying to take everything in all at once, while also getting ready for Souls to drop.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: August 30, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »
Looking to grab Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son real soon.

Those are my two favourites of them all. Seventh Son as #1 and Somewhere as #2.

And congratulations for getting into them, you're in for a ride.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »

my two favorites as well!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #901 on: August 30, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »

I'll keep that in mind :tup

And thank you!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #902 on: August 30, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »

Understood. My buddy who got me into them warned me to stay away from No Prayer and both Blaze albums, which he said were absolute shit.

Right now, I'm overwhelmed by the size of their catalog cuz I'm trying to take everything in all at once, while also getting ready for Souls to drop.

Well, the 2nd one with Blaze (Virtual XI) is almost completely garbage, and (IMO and most others) is one of, if not the worst IM album of all time.    However, I think you will find around these parts that his first effort (The X Factor) is a lost gem.   Sorely underrated and overlooked.   Dark, moody...and a good fit for Blaze's vocals.    And the opening track The Sign of the Cross is one of the greatest IM songs of all time....and Blaze just owns it.    I personally think he does it even better than Bruce.  (I was unimpressed by his live version, which I believe is on the Rio live album)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #903 on: August 30, 2015, 12:55:25 PM »

Well, the 2nd one with Blaze (Virtual XI) is almost completely garbage, and (IMO and most others) is one of, if not the worst IM album of all time.    However, I think you will find around these parts that his first effort (The X Factor) is a lost gem.   Sorely underrated and overlooked.   Dark, moody...and a good fit for Blaze's vocals.    And the opening track The Sign of the Cross is one of the greatest IM songs of all time....and Blaze just owns it.    I personally think he does it even better than Bruce.  (I was unimpressed by his live version, which I believe is on the Rio live album)

It's interesting to hear everyone's take on each album.

Offline 425

« Reply #904 on: August 30, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

Both Blaze albums are good. Especially The X Factor, but both are better than No Prayer and especially Fear of the Dark, which is their worst.

I mean, you should get all 16. But you should start with all the 80s and all the 21st century material, then get TXF, then get the other three 90s albums.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #905 on: August 30, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
90s albums rankings!

1. TXF
2. NPftD
3. VXI
4. FotD
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #906 on: August 30, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
90s albums rankings!

1. TXF
2. NPftD
3. VXI
4. FotD

For me:

1. TXF
2. FotD
3. NPftD

4. VXI

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #907 on: August 30, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Here is how I break down the four 90's albums:

No Prayer:
What a disappointment. Really their weakest album. It came after the longest delay between albums (at the time). It just wasn't worth the wait. I will say that this was one of my favorite Maiden tours ever. Jannick was fantastic and really seemed to pull Dave out of his shell.
And the No Prayer tunes they played translated so much better live.

Fear:
Finally the real Maiden returns. Their first album in the "CD" age, caused them to make it longer than it really should be. Definitely some B-Side material on here, but I maintain that this 12 song album is easily 8 songs deep.

The biggest issue with both of these albums, especially Fear, is that these are Bruce's worst with the band.

TXF:
I know some people think this is great, and some think it's terrible. But I think this had the makings to be a complete masterpiece. But it feels like a demo, both in production and some of the songs feel like they are not completely worked out. You also realized at this point how much balance Bruce (and Adrian for that matter) really gave the band, as this feels like a Steve Harris solo album. There are some masterful moments, and some tracks are put together fine, but I can't help but feel this is a just miss. A J- Dude says, Sign Of The Cross FTW!!

VIX:
Other than The TAATG, I really like VIX. The production isn't great, but it has a more comfortable Maiden feel than TXF. If they would ever do another Blaze era track with Bruce, I wish they'd do The Educated Fool.

Offline 425

« Reply #908 on: August 30, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
but I maintain that this 12 song album is easily 8 songs deep.

At most. Weekend Warrior is awful, The Apparition and Chains of Misery are mediocre, and I don't really like Childhood's End either. I would probably rate those as my four least favorite IM songs, and they're all on this album. Fear Is the Key is like half of a good song. From Here to Eternity is alright but it's too silly, it has the same problem that they had on NPFTD with Hooks and Daughter.

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. From Here to Eternity
3. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
4. Wasting Love
5. The Fugitive
6. Judas Be My Guide
7. Fear of the Dark

This, maybe with Fear Is the Key in there as well, would probably beat out NPFTD for me. But with all the other weak material on there, this is the weakest album in my book. That is, the best material on FOTD absolutely beats the best material on NPFTD, but NPFTD is a vastly superior experience for me as an album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #909 on: August 30, 2015, 02:22:16 PM »
TXF
FotD
NPFtD
VXI