Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557428 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #700 on: August 11, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Chemical Wedding = Best ever metal album.

5 star album for sure!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #701 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:37 AM »
I definitely don't think it's the best ever metal album, but I definitely do think it's fantastic and better than any Maiden album.

I also appear to be the only person who prefers Virtual XI to X Factor.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #702 on: August 12, 2015, 04:10:04 AM »
So - two days until Speed of Light comes out! Who`s excited??! :metal

Online Mladen

« Reply #703 on: August 12, 2015, 04:33:41 AM »
I'm extremely excited, can't wait till Friday.  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #704 on: August 12, 2015, 05:36:24 AM »
I definitely don't think it's the best ever metal album, but I definitely do think it's fantastic and better than any Maiden album.

I also appear to be the only person who prefers Virtual XI to X Factor.

It's not necessarily my favorite album ever either, but it's the first album that comes to mind when I hear the term "heavy metal." It's the watershed album of the central origins of the metal genre. There are a few other albums, like two or three works from Fates Warning, that I rank higher personally as progressive metal albums.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: August 12, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »
Trying to figure out when I'll get the new song, probably Saturday morning for me, I think I'm like 12 hours ahead, can't wait.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: August 12, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »
Trying to figure out when I'll get the new song, probably Saturday morning for me, I think I'm like 12 hours ahead, can't wait.

Did they give an exact time of day for the release?

I am very excited, and also agree that the Chemical Wedding is an amazing album and its in my top 10 all time for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: August 12, 2015, 05:43:55 AM »

I am very excited, and also agree that the Chemical Wedding is an amazing album and its in my top 10 all time for sure.

Just had a look and no I can't find one.  I thought they did though, oh well, one more day can't hurt.  ;D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #708 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:58 AM »

Just had a look and no I can't find one.  I thought they did though, oh well, one more day can't hurt.  ;D

I'm glad you figured it out.  so I must be getting it like, 3-4 hours before you?  or something.  time zones hurt my head. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #709 on: August 12, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »
mate, there's plenty of down tuned guitar on Tyranny!  off the top of my head, Soul Intruders and Kill Devil Hill?

Hadn't got that far at that point  :biggrin: The memory aint what it was...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #710 on: August 12, 2015, 06:40:12 AM »
Kade, you would know, but Chemical Wedding, while sounding darker than AOB, definitely sounds lighter that TOS.

Hmmm, I don't agree with this.

It doesn't come across that way to me. Chemical wedding sounds darker. I don't associate ToS as being a dark album but yes, its there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #711 on: August 12, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #712 on: August 12, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Kade, you would know, but Chemical Wedding, while sounding darker than AOB, definitely sounds lighter that TOS.

Hmmm, I don't agree with this.

It doesn't come across that way to me. Chemical wedding sounds darker. I don't associate ToS as being a dark album but yes, its there.

ToS has its dark moments, but yeah, The Chemical Wedding is definitely a far darker album overall. I don't know how you could listen to both albums and not hear that, regardless of which album you think is actually better.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #713 on: August 12, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »
Jerusalem and Book of Thel are definitely two of the best BD solo tracks and both are on Chemical Wedding. As awesome as Chemical Wedding is, I always found myself returning to Tyranny of Souls and Skunkworks more often. Those aren't necessarily better than CW, but both were different in their own ways.

Offline 425

« Reply #714 on: August 12, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »
New interview with Jannick and Adrian:
https://thequietus.com/articles/18529-iron-maiden-interview

Thanks for posting this, it was pretty interesting.

These two are the members of the band who I wonder most about the working relationships between them, given that one replaced the other and still plays some of his guitar solos live today. It was amusing to see them actually acknowledge the fact that, when there are just two solos on an Adrian- or Janick-written song, they're almost always played by the songwriter and Dave, "so Davey gets to play everything."  :lol

It also just keeps getting more and more interesting to hear about the way that Bruce composed Empire of the Clouds. I'm getting quite excited to hear what that one is like.

This one was also good to read as well, about the working relationship between the guitarists:
Quote from: Adrian Smith
There is nothing above healthy competition. I know if Dave goes in and does a solo in two takes then I’ll be trying to do the same thing; it pushes you to do your best."

There are just so few bands that have three guitarists (much less a situation like this where all three are "lead" guitarists at least some of the time) that I wonder sometimes how these guys do it, logistically as well as personally. I think a majority of metal guitarists wouldn't be able to do it just from a perspective of ego.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: August 12, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »
Yea good points and that was a nice read.  I think what seperates the IM 3 guitarists and their egos is that they kind of were in a been there done that point in their careers and IM was practically dead after V11.  If those guys couldn't come to grips and work together, who knows where they would be today, but most likely not doing anything as big or special as IM.  They all had years of being in a big time band, it was time they started putting the egos aside and work together, in a healthy way.  Im sure the success of BNW helped them continue going down that path. 

Granted that is all just from my head and nothing from interviews or anything sourced from the band, just the way they rub off on me now from reading an interview like that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: August 12, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »
mate, there's plenty of down tuned guitar on Tyranny!  off the top of my head, Soul Intruders and Kill Devil Hill?

Hadn't got that far at that point  :biggrin: The memory aint what it was...

Kill Devil Hill is drop D, but Soul Intruders is in standard tuning.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: August 12, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
Interesting to read that Adrian has not been happy with some of the production in the past.  He's happy with this one so hopefully it's a step up from TFF prodution wise.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2015, 04:38:19 PM »
New interview with Jannick and Adrian:
https://thequietus.com/articles/18529-iron-maiden-interview

Cheers for that.

Interesting what he said about Shirley regarding the guitar sounds.  Reminded me of that story on the Rush documentary where Alex Lifeson talks about arguing with Kevin Shirley about putting some reverb on his guitar :lol

Interesting to read that Adrian has not been happy with some of the production in the past.  He's happy with this one so hopefully it's a step up from TFF prodution wise.

yeah that was interesting, I wonder how different AMOLAD would've sounded if H had his way...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: August 12, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
yeah that was interesting, I wonder how different AMOLAD would've sounded if H had his way...

Probably a lot better.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: August 12, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
True, I find I trust Adrian's opinion on sound with no basis for that trust other than his superb guitar and his own sound.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #721 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »

Probably a lot better.

Probably, but I do think that the sound Shirley and Harris found on AMOLAD at least worked for that album. The same can't be said for TFF, imo.

True, I find I trust Adrian's opinion on sound with no basis for that trust other than his superb guitar and his own sound.

I trust Adrian's opinion based on that and because he apparently had more input on the production of Somewhere in Time. That album had an incredible sound, especially for the guitars.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: August 12, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
... when there are just two solos on an Adrian- or Janick-written song, they're almost always played by the songwriter and Dave...

"Just two solos" on a song. Oh the problems of a metal band...  :biggrin:

Thread inspired me to listen to SiT and SSoaSS again, as I don't rank them very high in my IM catalog. After further review, I quite enjoyed SSoaSS. I don't think it is stellar, and has a couple mediocre tracks on it, but has some great songs too and feels solid start to finish. I keep my assessment for SiT the same though. Nothing memorable, so it remains at the bottom of my IM rankings.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #723 on: August 12, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »
... when there are just two solos on an Adrian- or Janick-written song, they're almost always played by the songwriter and Dave...

Thread inspired me to listen to SiT and SSoaSS again, as I don't rank them very high in my IM catalog. After further review, I quite enjoyed SSoaSS. I don't think it is stellar, and has a couple mediocre tracks on it, but has some great songs too and feels solid start to finish. I keep my assessment for SiT the same though. Nothing memorable, so it remains at the bottom of my IM rankings.

Thank you.  I no longer feel like the proverbial "red-headed stepchild" of the Iron Maiden community.   Somewhere In Time was disappointing when it first came out, and it's never recovered.    SSoaSS is better, and I've grown to like it quite a bit.   But SiT is mostly pretty boring.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #724 on: August 12, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »

:lol Well, Iron Maiden does solo a lot. A lot of the reunion era epics have solos from all three guitarists.

Though it does help that the solos are often played one after the other in the same solo section. Unless you're specifically listening for the point where the guitarists switch off, you'd probably think that most Maiden songs had just one solo.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #725 on: August 12, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
I always thought it was funny on Wicker Man how Adrian wrote it and plays all the solo breaks, even when they would work well with at least one other guitar playing one of the licks (esp. in the guitar melody leading into the solo).  Seems like he wasn't willing to compromise on that one haha.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #726 on: August 12, 2015, 08:35:16 PM »
I always thought it was funny on Wicker Man how Adrian wrote it and plays all the solo breaks, even when they would work well with at least one other guitar playing one of the licks (esp. in the guitar melody leading into the solo).  Seems like he wasn't willing to compromise on that one haha.

I can hardly blame him on that, seeing as how Janick and Dave seemingly got most of the big guitar moments on BNW, since a lot of it was leftover material from V11.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
I never really looked at Maiden as a 'lots of solos' band.  Sure they only have a couple of songs without solos, but there's nothing overly long in terms of solo length, besides a few tracks from Powerslave.  I actually wish Maiden did more of the long Duelist type 3 minute style instrumental sections.

I could be wrong, but that's what pops in my head, nothing they have really done seems too long instrumental wise.

I also wished Maiden did more shorter solos throughout sections of songs, like King Diamond.  Break the structures down a bit.

Offline 425

« Reply #728 on: August 12, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
I think by number of solos, counting a solo by one guitarist that immediately goes into a solo by another guitarist as two separate solos, they play a high number of solos. But they don't spend a lot of time soloing. That's because, unlike a lot of metal guitarists, Adrian, Dave and Janick seem to prefer playing a brief, tasteful solo to embarking on a minute+ long affair. Consider For the Greater Good of God, on AMOLAD. All three guitarists play solos, each going right into the other. But the whole solo section is only around a minute long, because the solos themselves are compact. I would bet that the median length of an Iron Maiden guitar solo is less than thirty seconds. I think the longest single guitar solo in any Maiden song is probably Adrian's in Stranger In A Strange Land, which is a) an awesome solo and b) not wanky at all. I think the fact that all three of them play compact, tasteful solos is another thing that makes the three guitarist thing work so well. Not one of them feels the need to go off on a 90 second shredfest at any time.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: August 13, 2015, 12:44:46 AM »
Somewhere In Time was disappointing when it first came out, and it's never recovered. [...]But SiT is mostly pretty boring.

:facepalm:

Oh my giddy aunt!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #730 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:03 AM »
They make the solo's/soli fit the song perfectly, which is a great quality in a band. And I disagree mostly on SiT. I remember when it came out and I read the review and going 'Oh lord, there's synths on the album, must be shit'. Then buying it anyway and playing it and going 'f'ing hell it sounds goregeous!'. Somewhere in time isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. I love Stranger in a strange land, Wasted years and a couple more. It's the longer songs that drag it down, in my opinion. Lonelyness of the long distance runner....yeah, sorry, can't get into it. Same with Alexander the Great.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: August 13, 2015, 01:38:45 AM »
Nothing I like more when out on my bike for a couple of hours than for The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner to come on. That or Marathon by Rush.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline adace

« Reply #732 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:56 AM »
Someone posted the lyrics to Speed of Light.
https://www.metrolyrics.com/speed-of-light-lyrics-iron-maiden.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: August 13, 2015, 05:32:09 AM »
I actually wish Maiden did more of the long Duelist type 3 minute style instrumental sections.

:metal I'd love to see something like that too

and with an 18 minute song, I'd imagine there is a long instrumental part

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #734 on: August 13, 2015, 06:17:12 AM »
I never really looked at Maiden as a 'lots of solos' band.  Sure they only have a couple of songs without solos, but there's nothing overly long in terms of solo length, besides a few tracks from Powerslave.  I actually wish Maiden did more of the long Duelist type 3 minute style instrumental sections.

I could be wrong, but that's what pops in my head, nothing they have really done seems too long instrumental wise.
I am so with you on The Duelist. In really love that song because of that section.

Caught Somewhere In Time has a pretty long instrumental section.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol