Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557438 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Deathless

Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #561 on: July 30, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
And we have our first taste of new Maiden... via a 30-second teaser!

Pre-Order Teaser

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
Sounds sweeeet :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #563 on: July 30, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »
Willing to bet that is from Speed Of Light.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #564 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »
Willing to bet that is from Speed Of Light.

Probably! It sounds like it's the ending part of a solo from Adrian and then a melodic bridge after that.

The production sounds pretty great too, I think. It's like SiT/SSoaSS mixed with BNW sonically. Probably the best album production Maiden's had in the past fifteen years.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Wow, not much but sounds very good!   :metal :metal :metal

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #566 on: July 30, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
Yes, yes, yeess!! I think they finally got it right with the production this time, just what I wished for! I'm super excited now.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #567 on: July 30, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
And we have our first taste of new Maiden... via a 30-second teaser!

Pre-Order Teaser

That sounds suspiciously like Iron Maiden.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
I like it!

Offline Art

« Reply #569 on: July 30, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »
nice sample, sounds really good!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #570 on: July 30, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
Now to wait for people to rigorously judge the entire album based on a short 30 seconds. :lol

I like it. Definitely Maiden sounding like Maiden. As far as guessing which track it's from, I wouldn't have a clue. Hopefully we get a couple more teasers like this. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: July 30, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
The speculation is that it is from the single Speed of Light that will be released in a couple weeks

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #572 on: July 30, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Ah that was short but sweet.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
My thoughts on the new song:

Up the Irons  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #574 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »
Sounds like Maiden.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: July 30, 2015, 07:50:26 PM »
Cant listen now as I'm in class but it sounds like Maiden.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #576 on: July 30, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
Sounds like Maiden.

Sounds like Maiden with the best production the band's had in about fifteen years. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #577 on: July 30, 2015, 11:53:08 PM »
UGH I LOVE THIS! It sounds so so good, both musically and sonically! Can't wait for the single!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: July 31, 2015, 02:28:24 AM »
As someone said sounds very Virtual XI:esq.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #579 on: July 31, 2015, 03:23:20 AM »
To be honest, it sounds like Maiden. Too short to judge otherwise, I´d say.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Mladen

« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
Looks like I'm one of the very few people that can't get excited about a 30 second clip. Nevertheless, I'm extremely excited about the album, it's certainly the most important one to be released this year.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2015, 04:57:35 AM »
sounds like maiden.  sounds like H.  oooh yeah

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »

This.

I hope you guys are right about the production too, as I thought it sounded a bit muddy like TFF.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
Yeah, really good clip but I'm not too keen on the production.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #584 on: July 31, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

This.

I hope you guys are right about the production too, as I thought it sounded a bit muddy like TFF.

It might be muddier than I initially thought, but it could also be YouTube screwing things up audio-wise. What I'm liking about the production so far is the clarity and tone of the guitars that this album seems to have. It's like a blend of SiT and BNW in that regard. Hopefully everything is well-balanced and clean in the actual album itself, but I think the guitars are already a step up from TFF.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
To me, youtube videos don't mask much of the production values.  What you hear, is pretty much what you will expect from the offical release IMO, just a bit clearer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #586 on: July 31, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
To me, youtube videos don't mask much of the production values.  What you hear, is pretty much what you will expect from the offical release IMO, just a bit clearer.

True. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. :tup

BTW, the first official album review came out! Sounds good to me! :metal :hefdaddy

https://www.teamrock.com/reviews/2015-08-07/iron-maiden-the-book-of-souls

Turns out that Empire of the Clouds is a massive metal opera about the R101 aircraft tragedy of 1930. Bruce plays the piano through out the song too. The description kinda reminds me of Savatage, actually, but that might just be because they played at Wacken earlier today.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #587 on: July 31, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
I was going to read the article, but you have to sign up to the site. I'm always reluctant to do things like that. Anybody willing to post the text of the review?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #588 on: July 31, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »
I was going to read the article, but you have to sign up to the site. I'm always reluctant to do things like that. Anybody willing to post the text of the review?

Sure thing!

A new Iron Maiden album is always a big event, not least because the band have somehow sustained a startling level of popularity for the vast majority of their three decades.

Iron Maiden: The Book Of Souls Cover
What is less frequently acknowledged, however, is that since the return of Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith for 2000’s Brave New World, Maiden have not only cemented their status as metal’s most revered band but, audaciously, built upon it, becoming ever more dominant and in-demand as a result.

Of course, The Book Of Souls arrives amid an additional storm of drama, Dickinson’s genuinely shocking brush with cancer erecting an unexpected and unwanted backdrop of struggle and triumph behind a long-awaited album – Maiden’s 16th – that didn’t exactly need an extra boost.

Completed before their singer received his jarring diagnosis, The Book Of Souls is the sound of a band at the peak of their powers, both individual and collective, and Dickinson’s own performance gives no clues whatsoever as to his then vexed state of health. One might glibly note that this would have been an excellent final statement for all concerned, but it’s hard to think of another band of this vintage that would be capable of sounding this vital and inspired.

It begins with one of two songs written solely by Dickinson. If Eternity Should Fail starts with an eerie, almost psychedelic intro, the air raid siren’s restrained tones floating in shimmering space, before the first of countless towering riffs crashes in. Dark in tone and texture and a dash heavier than Maiden have ever sounded before, its eight-and-a-half minutes rush by in what seems like half that amount, soaring choruses and a typically deft change of pace midway through adding bite to the barrage.

Maiden’s recent albums have been notable primarily for the epic and progressive nature of their contents, and while The Book Of Souls certainly saunters down that avenue on numerous occasions, it is also an album that brims with flashes of succinctness. Speed Of Light, Death Or Glory and Tears Of A Clown all climax at around the five minute mark, and all three are instant top-notch Maiden anthems, the shrewd songwriting hand of Adrian Smith making its presence felt and bringing plenty of that off-kilter edge that was sometimes missed during the decade he spent away from the line-up. Meanwhile, both The Great Unknown and When The River Runs Deep speak volumes about the intuitive chemistry between Smith and Steve Harris, their collaborative efforts producing monstrous mini-symphonies for Dickinson to unleash that vein-popping vibrato over.

Nonetheless, The Book Of Souls will doubtless be celebrated most for its epics, and if you thought Maiden had pulled out all the stops in the past, you may need to strap yourself in and say a quick prayer to Eddie this time round. The Red And The Black is Harris’ only sole composition here, but it’s one of the most exhilarating and fluid things he has ever written; nearly 14 minutes of interwoven rhythms and riffs, a brief nod to the dramatic thud of Flight Of Icarus here, a dewy-eyed salute to Thin Lizzy there and a healthy slab of mob-friendly backing vocals that must surely mean that this will become an immediate live favourite when Maiden take The Book Of Souls out on the road.

The same goes for the title track, an almost ludicrously grandiose and theatrical affair that crams more smart ideas into its ten-and-a-half minutes than any band this enduring should have left in the tank at this point. And if Dickinson could sound any less like a man about to discover a tumour in his throat... well, needless to say that his recovery has been perhaps the least surprising thing about Maiden’s recent history. The interplay between the Three Amigos reaches a similar peak on the rumbling sprawl of Shadows Of The Valley and, best of all, on Harris and Dave Murray’s dark and unsettling The Man Of Sorrows, wherein Kevin Shirley’s powerful, unfussy production shines a light on the sublimely organic interplay between these six musicians.

So far, so brilliant. And yet even the most wildly optimistic Maiden fan might find themselves momentarily gobsmacked by The Book Of Souls’ conclusion. The longest song the band have ever recorded, Empire Of The Clouds is essentially an 18-minute heavy metal opera, replete with Dickinson on piano for the first time and sumptuous orchestral flourishes that add hugely to the song’s cinematic feel.

A detailed but poetic account of the R101 airship disaster of 1930, it’s a stunning piece of work and clearly a labour of love for Dickinson, the song’s author, in particular. And coming at the end of such a consistent and remarkable slab of idiosyncratic heavy metal, it poses one obvious question: is there anything that Iron Maiden can’t do? The Book Of Souls suggests not.

Given that this sounds nothing like the work of a band nearing the end of their love affair with music, the future may even hold greater wonders. Bloody hell.

FINAL VERDICT: 9/10
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #589 on: July 31, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »

Sure thing!

A new Iron Maiden album is always a big event, not least because the band have somehow sustained a startling level of popularity for the vast majority of their three decades.

Iron Maiden: The Book Of Souls Cover
What is less frequently acknowledged, however, is that since the return of Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith for 2000’s Brave New World, Maiden have not only cemented their status as metal’s most revered band but, audaciously, built upon it, becoming ever more dominant and in-demand as a result.

Of course, The Book Of Souls arrives amid an additional storm of drama, Dickinson’s genuinely shocking brush with cancer erecting an unexpected and unwanted backdrop of struggle and triumph behind a long-awaited album – Maiden’s 16th – that didn’t exactly need an extra boost.

Completed before their singer received his jarring diagnosis, The Book Of Souls is the sound of a band at the peak of their powers, both individual and collective, and Dickinson’s own performance gives no clues whatsoever as to his then vexed state of health. One might glibly note that this would have been an excellent final statement for all concerned, but it’s hard to think of another band of this vintage that would be capable of sounding this vital and inspired.

It begins with one of two songs written solely by Dickinson. If Eternity Should Fail starts with an eerie, almost psychedelic intro, the air raid siren’s restrained tones floating in shimmering space, before the first of countless towering riffs crashes in. Dark in tone and texture and a dash heavier than Maiden have ever sounded before, its eight-and-a-half minutes rush by in what seems like half that amount, soaring choruses and a typically deft change of pace midway through adding bite to the barrage.

Maiden’s recent albums have been notable primarily for the epic and progressive nature of their contents, and while The Book Of Souls certainly saunters down that avenue on numerous occasions, it is also an album that brims with flashes of succinctness. Speed Of Light, Death Or Glory and Tears Of A Clown all climax at around the five minute mark, and all three are instant top-notch Maiden anthems, the shrewd songwriting hand of Adrian Smith making its presence felt and bringing plenty of that off-kilter edge that was sometimes missed during the decade he spent away from the line-up. Meanwhile, both The Great Unknown and When The River Runs Deep speak volumes about the intuitive chemistry between Smith and Steve Harris, their collaborative efforts producing monstrous mini-symphonies for Dickinson to unleash that vein-popping vibrato over.

Nonetheless, The Book Of Souls will doubtless be celebrated most for its epics, and if you thought Maiden had pulled out all the stops in the past, you may need to strap yourself in and say a quick prayer to Eddie this time round. The Red And The Black is Harris’ only sole composition here, but it’s one of the most exhilarating and fluid things he has ever written; nearly 14 minutes of interwoven rhythms and riffs, a brief nod to the dramatic thud of Flight Of Icarus here, a dewy-eyed salute to Thin Lizzy there and a healthy slab of mob-friendly backing vocals that must surely mean that this will become an immediate live favourite when Maiden take The Book Of Souls out on the road.

The same goes for the title track, an almost ludicrously grandiose and theatrical affair that crams more smart ideas into its ten-and-a-half minutes than any band this enduring should have left in the tank at this point. And if Dickinson could sound any less like a man about to discover a tumour in his throat... well, needless to say that his recovery has been perhaps the least surprising thing about Maiden’s recent history. The interplay between the Three Amigos reaches a similar peak on the rumbling sprawl of Shadows Of The Valley and, best of all, on Harris and Dave Murray’s dark and unsettling The Man Of Sorrows, wherein Kevin Shirley’s powerful, unfussy production shines a light on the sublimely organic interplay between these six musicians.

So far, so brilliant. And yet even the most wildly optimistic Maiden fan might find themselves momentarily gobsmacked by The Book Of Souls’ conclusion. The longest song the band have ever recorded, Empire Of The Clouds is essentially an 18-minute heavy metal opera, replete with Dickinson on piano for the first time and sumptuous orchestral flourishes that add hugely to the song’s cinematic feel.

A detailed but poetic account of the R101 airship disaster of 1930, it’s a stunning piece of work and clearly a labour of love for Dickinson, the song’s author, in particular. And coming at the end of such a consistent and remarkable slab of idiosyncratic heavy metal, it poses one obvious question: is there anything that Iron Maiden can’t do? The Book Of Souls suggests not.

Given that this sounds nothing like the work of a band nearing the end of their love affair with music, the future may even hold greater wonders. Bloody hell.

FINAL VERDICT: 9/10

Thank you for posting this! I've really been looking forward to this album. Reading the review has me very excited!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #590 on: July 31, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
Thank you for posting this! I've really been looking forward to this album. Reading the review has me very excited!

No problem! I've been hyped for it too, as it'll probably be a shoe-in for my Album of the Year.

It sounds like this might be a darker album after all, if the review is anything to go by. I'm getting some Gutter Ballet vibes from the description of Empire of the Clouds in particular.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline adace

« Reply #591 on: August 01, 2015, 01:13:01 AM »
So damn hyped after reading that review! Just about a month left to go!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: August 01, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »
review sounds stellar!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: August 01, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
The review is making me really wish this was out already!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: August 01, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
The review is making me really wish this was out already!  :metal

Only a 9 out of 10?

So stoked!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol