Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557626 times)

fadetoblackdude7 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2015, 04:40:20 AM »
SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON

Am I doing it right? :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2015, 05:00:08 AM »
Awesome fan art.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55:02 AM »
Wow that is awesome

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: July 09, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
I'd love to have that one as a big poster on my wall.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »

Am I doing it right? :P
Nope. 4 lines too short!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rivulet

« Reply #495 on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
I'll never understand the disdain for No Prayer. I mean yes, you have some terrible songs like Bring Your Daughter, but there are some really good songs as well - the title track, for instance, is one of Maiden's finest.

This.  And Run Silent Run Deep, Assassin.
Run Silent Run Deep has an awesome chorus and solo section, but the verse is pretty bad. But overall, I am a fan of the song and it makes my No Prayer Of The Dark mashup.

Been listening to these two albums lately (part of my listening to the entire catalog in order leading up to the new album). Overall, FotD is a weaker album for me. My first crack at rearranging these into a better album, and a quasi-b-sides album.  I hope it's obvious which is which.

"Afraid to Fear"

1. Mother Russia
2. Public Enema Number One
3. Tailgunner
4. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
5. Run Silent Run Deep
6. Fear of the Dark
7. No Prayer For the Dying
8. Be Quick Or Be Dead
9. The Assassin
10. Fates Warning
11. Childhood's End

"Hooks and Chains"

1. Holy Smoke
2. From Here To Eternity
3. Chains of Misery
4. Fear Is The Key
5. The Apparition
6. Judas Be My Guide
7. Hooks In You
8. Bring Your Daughter ...
9. Weekend Warrior
10. The Fugitive
11. Wasting Love

What would you change?

Offline 425

« Reply #496 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
That's fairly close to the songs I'd put. I'd slip The Assassin and Childhood's End onto the weaker album and bring up Judas Be My Guide and Wasting Love. I'd also like to get The Fugitive moved up, but I don't know if there's a spot for it. I'm not sure about the tracklisting of either (Mother Russia as an opener? Childhood's End—which, to be candid, I really don't like much at all—as a closer?), but the lists of songs themselves are pretty close to what mine would be.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #497 on: July 11, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
The good one:

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. Holy Smoke
3. Run Silent Run Deep
4. Fates Warning
5. Judas Be My Guide
6. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
7. No Prayer for the Dying
8. Public Enema Number One
9. The Assassin
10. Mother Russia
11. Fear of the Dark

The bad one:

The rest. Don't care enough to actually come up with an order.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #498 on: July 11, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
Just got the chemical wedding in the mail today :metal :metal :metal I can't wait to give it a listen

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »
Just got the chemical wedding in the mail today :metal :metal :metal I can't wait to give it a listen

Oh god I envy you discovering that masterpiece for the first time! Enjoy!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: July 11, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »

this

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: July 12, 2015, 03:44:26 AM »
Judas definitely belongs in the good list.  I'd say it's top 5 out of the whole 2 albums.  i'd go;

Probably still my fav metal album of all time.  I remember the first time I listened to it, what an experience.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2015, 04:58:34 AM »
I am really glad to see Maiden put out another album! They were the first metal band I obsessed over so I (like many others) have a really soft spot for them in my heart. I really like most of the albums from BNW onwards (especially AMOLAD, while TFF is the weakest by miles) so I have kinda high expectations. A Few things I wish of The Book Of Souls:

1. The playing needs to be tight. On TFF the riffs and drumming were very lazy at many points and that almost ruins the experience for me altogether. Sure, Maiden sounds amazing live but on studio albums the riffage etc. needs to be spot on. In addition to rigid playing, we definitely need....

2. ... good sound an production. Producer Kevin Shirley hasn't been brining out the best of Maiden in my opinion. Steve Harris is clearly calling the shots in the studio, and it seems he thinks the "raw" sound is where the magic's at. Off with the cardboard-box-sounding drums and muddy guitars!!

3. They really need to realise the contemporary capabilities of Bruce's voice. The highs on recent albums sound awful at many points (think The Talisman) while his mid voice is awesome these days. So freaking powerful and controlled. Basically, I'd like to hear the vocal melodies go more on the lower-mid register, that's where 2010+ Bruce kills. His solo albums showcase this perfectly in my opinion. Also, should they finally do what, for example, Metallica had the wits to do years ago and lower the tuning to Eb or something in live concerts?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
In regards to Bruce, I wonder how many takes he did on some of these songs.  I believe Bruce recorded The Talisman in like one take?  Hopefully they put more effort and do a few tries to get something perfect although I don't really have any complaints with the sound of TFF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: July 12, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
I'm with both of you.  I really have come to love TFF, but it is rushed and sloppy in terms of the recording.  I hope they did make a more 'studio' sounding album, than a 'live' sounding album, but I'm not confident.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »
I'm with both of you.  I really have come to love TFF, but it is rushed and sloppy in terms of the recording.  I hope they did make a more 'studio' sounding album, than a 'live' sounding album, but I'm not confident.

Neither am I. No one in the band seems to like being in the studio; Harris loves that sloppy rushed live sound for some reason, and Shirley is notoriously lazy. They need a good metal producer.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2015, 07:50:35 PM »
After I listened to accident of birth I said that it was almost a shame that bruce rejoined maiden and The Chemical Wedding just reinforced that statement.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2015, 09:01:33 PM »

Neither am I. No one in the band seems to like being in the studio; Harris loves that sloppy rushed live sound for some reason, and Shirley is notoriously lazy. They need a good metal producer.

Agree with every word of that.

After I listened to accident of birth I said that it was almost a shame that bruce rejoined maiden and The Chemical Wedding just reinforced that statement.

Yes and no I'd say.  I just wish Bruce still did more solo stuff.  I guess he doesn't really need to though.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #508 on: July 12, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »
He did one album in between DOD and AMOLAD: A Tyranny of Souls. It's a good album but didn't make me feel like we were missing much by getting Bruce back in Maiden rather than more solo material. I'm glad they can collaborate with each other again.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2015, 02:48:16 AM »
Tyranny of Souls is exceptional bar maybe two or three songs.  I really wish there was more solo Bruce too, its way more edgier than modern Maiden.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: July 13, 2015, 04:05:07 AM »
Speaking of Chemical Wedding, anyone seen the movie?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #511 on: July 13, 2015, 04:10:14 AM »
I couldn't watch it, it was way too boring for me. But I did check out the scenes where Bruce acts as a side character or someone in the background, those are pretty funny when they're taken out of context.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2015, 04:32:16 AM »

Agree with every word of that.

Yes and no I'd say.  I just wish Bruce still did more solo stuff.  I guess he doesn't really need to though.

Such a great band but they've never had a production that they deserved. I wonder whether it's because of Harris' bass sound that they can't find the right balance or if it's just his ears. I've also never been that keen on the guitar sounds either. Yes, they need a proper metal producer, or even Roy Z.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2015, 05:00:33 AM »
What's a proper metal producer tho?  Or who, rather?  I don't know too many modern metal producers that blow me away sonically.  Most of them just brickwall and overproduce to shit.  Bring back Martin Birch I say.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2015, 06:21:36 AM »
I dont know, BNW sounds amazing to me and that is the same crew.  They are capable, but maybe you are right, lazy?  IM never came off as being lazy, but maybe it's true that they don't like being in the studio. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2015, 06:36:10 AM »
BNW sounds great, Shirley did a great job on that one.  I don't know what happened after that.

Maybe lazy isn't the right word, but sloppy fits perfectly.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »
AMOLAD sounds pretty decent as well imo. The only one (of the "new" albums) that I think has a downright bad production is The Final Frontier.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:39 AM »
Also, should they finally do what, for example, Metallica had the wits to do years ago and lower the tuning to Eb or something in live concerts?

Apparantly Blaze Bailey always asked for some of the songs to be re-tuned to suit his voice better, and Harris always said no.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »
I couldn't watch it, it was way too boring for me. But I did check out the scenes where Bruce acts as a side character or someone in the background, those are pretty funny when they're taken out of context.
Yea I kind of avoided the movie at the time to not see it just because of Bruces involment. Read some reviews which weren't overly positive so to speak so I just skipped it. Just interested to hear some thoughts in hindsight. I might see it now though just for the fun of it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »
BNW sounds great, Shirley did a great job on that one.  I don't know what happened after that.

Maybe lazy isn't the right word, but sloppy fits perfectly.

Agree about BNW. Awesome sounding album.

Offline 425

« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
AMOLAD sounds pretty decent as well imo. The only one (of the "new" albums) that I think has a downright bad production is The Final Frontier.

Really? I never had a problem with TFF's production. It's certainly ages better than the brickwalled Dance of Death in my book.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
DoD is easily the worst.  Maybe that was the band's motive to just go with the "live" sound now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
DOD and TFF are both on a par production wise IMO, terrible.

Also, should they finally do what, for example, Metallica had the wits to do years ago and lower the tuning to Eb or something in live concerts?

Apparantly Blaze Bailey always asked for some of the songs to be re-tuned to suit his voice better, and Harris always said no.

I always thought this might have been the case.  'Arry sure is a stubbon prick sometimes.  We can hardly blame Blaze for some of the live performances then.  On some old songs he sounds alright, so just a half step down would have made a world of difference.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #523 on: July 13, 2015, 04:51:02 PM »

This quote doesn't make me feel too confident in that either, but one never knows:

"A lot of the songs were actually written while we were there in the studio and we rehearsed and recorded them straight away while they were still fresh, and I think that immediacy really shows in the songs, they have almost a live feel to them, I think."

https://www.metalsucks.net/2015/06/18/new-iron-maiden-album-the-book-of-souls-is-on-the-way-cover-artwork-posted/
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: July 13, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
Yea I honestly expect a more of a AMoLaD/TFF feel to the album in terms of sound at least.  I think thats a good bet given the little details and we know its the same cast.