Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557792 times)

Offline 425

Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #420 on: June 26, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
Como Estais is a nice song. But I'd rather see them pull out Blood On the World's Hands, Edge of Darkness or When Two Worlds Collide. Or even an abbreviated version of The Angel and the Gambler (pipe dream, I know).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #421 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06:46 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the single edit of Angel and the Gambler is all good.  I'd take that in me setlist any day of the week, over Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark, Run to the Hills or Running Free or The Trooper or any of those other 'signature' songs that should've been axed from the list years ago.

Offline 425

« Reply #422 on: June 26, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
:tup

It really is sad the way things turned out with The Angel and the Gambler. It's a really good 5-6 minute song. There's a lot of great songwriting in there, just that the decision to take it out to 9 minutes killed any chance it ever had of being popular. I will say that they'll never drop Iron Maiden. They haven't played a show without it in 40 years and they won't start now. I think Fear of the Dark could take some time off, as could Run to the Hills and Running Free. The Trooper can stick around as far as I'm concerned, but TAATG definitely deserves a go. Won't get it, but it deserves it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #423 on: June 26, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
You wouldn't drop Iron Maiden?  I dont know that Ive ever enjoyed that song haha

Offline 425

« Reply #424 on: June 26, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »
I've honestly never thought about whether I'd drop Iron Maiden because you simply can't. The band simply never will not play it. They've played it in every show ever. It's a staple of the set. It's always the last song before the encore, and it is always going to be. It's not that great of a song, but I almost don't even think of it as a song, just as an aspect of their live show.

So, I guess my answer is no. I would not drop Iron Maiden. It is so integral to their live show that a Maiden concert without the title song would simply feel wrong.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2015, 09:25:29 PM »
I definitely see where you're coming from, and totally agree, but I'd still drop the shit out of it given the chance. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2015, 10:20:56 PM »
I've never seen Iron Maiden live....but when I do, I would not have my heart broken if they dropped RttH or The Trooper.    Running Free and IM have audience participation aspects of them that I wouldn't want to miss out on.   (seems a bit like a 'rite of passage' at an IM show now)

But now that I've discovered AMOLAD, I am so bummed that I missed that tour.   May have been second best tour since the PS tour.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »
I've never seen Iron Maiden live....but when I do, I would not have my heart broken if they dropped RttH or The Trooper.    Running Free and IM have audience participation aspects of them that I wouldn't want to miss out on.   (seems a bit like a 'rite of passage' at an IM show now)

But now that I've discovered AMOLAD, I am so bummed that I missed that tour.   May have been second best tour since the PS tour.

Same, though I would've wanted to go to one of the shows on the European leg where they actually played the whole album live. I seem to recall that they changed up the setlist once they went stateside, but I'm not sure.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline 425

« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2015, 11:10:21 PM »

I've only seen Maiden live once, on the Maiden England tour back in 2012. I got both RTTH and The Trooper. I feel like The Trooper is more essential than RTTH (I couldn't even remember for sure if they'd played RTTH until I just checked, while I definitely remembered The Trooper). Iron Maiden is absolutely vital and I'd have been confused if they hadn't played that.

What really killed me was missing Hallowed Be Thy Name. I get that they play that every tour and wanted to give it one time off, but man, that was not a fun one to miss.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #429 on: June 27, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »
I've only seen Maiden live once, on the Maiden England tour back in 2012. I got both RTTH and The Trooper. I feel like The Trooper is more essential than RTTH (I couldn't even remember for sure if they'd played RTTH until I just checked, while I definitely remembered The Trooper). Iron Maiden is absolutely vital and I'd have been confused if they hadn't played that.

What really killed me was missing Hallowed Be Thy Name. I get that they play that every tour and wanted to give it one time off, but man, that was not a fun one to miss.

I actually didn't mind not getting Hallowed Be Thy Name when I saw them in 2013, because I got two other, much rarer epics out of it: Phantom of the Opera and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. The latter of which I actually have pretty much always ranked notably higher on my list of favorite Maiden songs than Hallowed and I think Phantom moved past it in recent years too. I do hope that I get to hear Hallowed live next time around though.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: June 27, 2015, 06:23:26 AM »

Same, though I would've wanted to go to one of the shows on the European leg where they actually played the whole album live. I seem to recall that they changed up the setlist once they went stateside, but I'm not sure.

Nope,we got the entire album in the states as well, which was an amazing show.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #431 on: June 27, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »
Nope,we got the entire album in the states as well, which was an amazing show.

:| Oh...

:(
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #432 on: June 27, 2015, 07:24:08 PM »
Not many tours I regret missing more than AMOLAD. It didn't come anywhere near me. AMOLAD is one of my favorite albums too. Sucks even more that they didn't make a dvd.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
Not sure if this been posted but:

What's your Maiden moment?

The winner will receive a replica of the red “Trooper” jacket worn by Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson, signed by him and a Limited Edition vinyl picture discs of the first 8 Iron Maiden albums packaged in gatefold sleeves and housed in a (Black) Collector’s Box4.
The runner up will receive a Limited Edition black vinyl discs of the first 8 Iron Maiden albums.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #434 on: June 28, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
Not many tours I regret missing more than AMOLAD. It didn't come anywhere near me. AMOLAD is one of my favorite albums too. Sucks even more that they didn't make a dvd.

It'll come out eventually. The only tour they haven't recordes is Somewhere on Tour.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: June 28, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
Not sure if this been posted but:

What's your Maiden moment?

The winner will receive a replica of the red “Trooper” jacket worn by Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson, signed by him and a Limited Edition vinyl picture discs of the first 8 Iron Maiden albums packaged in gatefold sleeves and housed in a (Black) Collector’s Box4.
The runner up will receive a Limited Edition black vinyl discs of the first 8 Iron Maiden albums.

First 8 albums?  That seems weird to stop at NPFTD.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #436 on: June 28, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »

It'll come out eventually. The only tour they haven't recordes is Somewhere on Tour.
Hopefully, Maiden can be weird with their dvd releases so it's hard to tell what they have planned.

Did they film shows from the leg where they played the whole album though? I know they filmed Donington 07 but that didn't contain the whole album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: June 28, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

Hopefully, Maiden can be weird with their dvd releases so it's hard to tell what they have planned.

Did they film shows from the leg where they played the whole album though? I know they filmed Donington 07 but that didn't contain the whole album.

I'm sure they did.  I'm even positive there was talks from the band that they were going to release a DVD of the tour at the time, I'm sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »
I've honestly never thought about whether I'd drop Iron Maiden because you simply can't. The band simply never will not play it. They've played it in every show ever. It's a staple of the set. It's always the last song before the encore, and it is always going to be. It's not that great of a song, but I almost don't even think of it as a song, just as an aspect of their live show.

That was my first thought when I saw that group of songs listed as well.  They will never drop Iron Maiden. 

But what is the story with Running Free?  I have not been a fan long enough to know.  Yeah, it looks fun in a live setting.  But it's really not that great a song.  And I am not aware of any special significance that it has.  Why do they ALWAYS play that one?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »

That was my first thought when I saw that group of songs listed as well.  They will never drop Iron Maiden. 

But what is the story with Running Free?  I have not been a fan long enough to know.  Yeah, it looks fun in a live setting.  But it's really not that great a song.  And I am not aware of any special significance that it has.  Why do they ALWAYS play that one?

Unfortunately, I think one reason is laziness. Don't have to rehearse it, easy vocals, etc. Mostly in there for audience participation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »

Unfortunately, I think one reason is laziness. Don't have to rehearse it, easy vocals, etc. Mostly in there for audience participation.

Probably, it is kind of a fun last song though, but obviously id rather something different.  IM doesn't need anymore setlist standard songs, they have enough.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
I'd be happy with whatever they choose to play. I Just hope they keep revelations in the set
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
I do wonder if they will play any TFF songs on the next tour though since the USA didn't get any of those songs besides El Durado. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »

I'm sure they did.  I'm even positive there was talks from the band that they were going to release a DVD of the tour at the time, I'm sure.
I remember that too. They were referring to Donington 07, it was mixed, mastered and everything, not sure why they didn't release it. I never heard any talks of the 06 leg being filmed.

I think the best thing to do (though I don't see this happening) is release a Donington box set: 1988, 1992, 2007. Throw the 90s history of doc in there, some bonus footage (probably lots of bits and pieces from the 90s) and you'd have a great set.

I do wonder if they will play any TFF songs on the next tour though since the USA didn't get any of those songs besides El Durado. 
I really hope so. I want another 00s heavy set, loved that in 2010. If they were to do TFF material that isn't El Dorado, I'd wager on Coming Home (almost a sure thing) and When the Wild Wind Blows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2015, 11:35:24 AM »
I personally doubt they ever play WTWWB ever again, just based on their history of not replaying epics and the lack of setlist time once they include the new songs. If there was one song from TFF I'd like to see that they have played would be that though

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »

I agree with the whole it's a pretty simple song to get good audience participation and it's a pretty good song for Bruce to introduce the band while they are playing it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
They did Dance of Death on the TFF tour, so I don't think it's out of the question. Even Sign of the Cross and The Clansman were kind of staples for awhile. WTWWB is a relatively easy song to play live, especially for Bruce who will possibly want to take it a bit easier after the cancer treatments anyway. I'm not a fan of making fake set lists but if they did a 00s heavy set again I'd guess these songs:

Six songs from the new album (the 18 minute track seems unlikely, will probably be the title track and Red and the Black instead for epics)
When the Wild Wind Blows
Coming Home
El Dorado
Ben Breeg (I could also see These Colours, Different World or possibly Out of the Shadows)
Rainmaker (making a hopeful prediction here, Wildest Dreams may be more likely)
Brave New World (a sure thing)
Wicker Man
Then the rest classics

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »

That blows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »

That blows.

While it does, we did get more of the other reunion era songs instead which made for a better overall setlist IMO, but it sucks that we didnt get a proper TFF tour.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #449 on: July 01, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »
It's out today the Kerrang with Steve Harris on the cover. Did anybody here read the article? Is there any commentary or review about The Book of Souls? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
Damn, you have to be a member to view the images.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #452 on: July 01, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »
Ah that sucks. I'll download them and upload to imgur.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #453 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/GzB22

Uploaded in reverse order on accident, so first page is on bottom.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
Thanks man, you're a champ.

They are really talking up Empire here.  Seems like we could be in for a treat.  Steve is quite tight lipped on details too, but seems very proud of the album.

I seriously can't wait for it.  Still 8 weeks away!