Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557787 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #385 on: June 22, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
In that case, BNW contained four leftover tracks from that leftovers of a leftover album.

Speaking of BNW, I'm curious to see if TBoS will end up having a similar "sound" to that album. It's arguably Maiden's best sounding record, even if the songwriting itself hasn't held up.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
I will say that "Empire of the Clouds" should be a very interesting experiment for the band, considering that it's coming from Bruce and not Steve or Adrian. While he's really the "heaviest" member in the band, Bruce also is openly a fan of some of prog rock/metal's more obscure and creatively interesting bands out there (i.e. Van Der Graaf Generator, Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster and Jethro Tull).

In comparison, Steve is a lot more "traditional" in his influences, such as UFO and Genesis. That's not at all slight against him, I just think we all know what an eighteen minute long epic from Steve would probably sound like. With Bruce, I think it's possible that we're in for some strange and interesting stuff.

I agree with this. 

I'm most excited about is that there is a 4 songs where Steve has no involvement.  Two Bruce solo and two Smth/Dickinson.  Now that gets me going.  Not a knock on Steve but as you said, bodes for some variety.

Exactly. Plus, as a huge fan of Bruce as a solo artist and as a songwriter in general, I'm curious to hear what are seemingly his two most ambitious songs ever (I don't think Bruce has ever single-handedly written a song that's as long as "If Eternity Should Fail," much less "Empire of the Clouds"). The fact that Bruce's songs both open and close the album bode well for how strong they are, I think. It probably took something very impressive for Steve to let Bruce take the focus away from his usual "solo-written" epic and the usual Maiden opener.

Good call here.  Since the reunion Steve has been involved in the songwriting of every song bar New Frontier.  What you mentioned here definitely says something.  And you can't go wrong with the Smith/Dickinson tag either.  Damn, I'm so pumped for this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: June 22, 2015, 06:35:41 PM »
In that case, BNW contained four leftover tracks from that leftovers of a leftover album.

Speaking of BNW, I'm curious to see if TBoS will end up having a similar "sound" to that album. It's arguably Maiden's best sounding record, even if the songwriting itself hasn't held up.

I disagree with the songwriting, it's still one of my favs, but I agree with the production, a wonderful sounding album.  I just hope this new one is better sounding than DOD and TFF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #388 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
There's some good stuff on VXI.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #389 on: June 22, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »

I disagree with the songwriting, it's still one of my favs, but I agree with the production, a wonderful sounding album.  I just hope this new one is better sounding than DOD and TFF.

It's a great album, no doubt, but I need to hear it again to see if my opinion on it has changed (again). :lol It's been awhile since I last gave it a spin.

Well, it seems like reunion-era Maiden has this habit of releasing a "classic" album with great overall work and production (BNW, AMoLaD), then following it up with a shoddy sounding album that has multiple knock-out high points (Paschendale, Rainmaker, DoD, Starblind, Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, When the Wild Wind Blows). So, if nothing else, I'm thinking/hoping we get a better production this time around.

Someone over at MaidenFan forums said they got to hear the title track recently via a promo disk due to their record label connections. Apparently he only got to hear it once, but he thought that it had a very "live" sounding production and that the songwriting felt like a continuation from TFF. Dunno if he was telling the truth or not, but I figured it was worth sharing.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: June 22, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
Any comparison to TFF (the album) is good news!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #391 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Any comparison to TFF (the album) is good news!

True, but then again, this is just one song and a song from one of the more predictable songwriting teams in Maiden (Harris/Gers). It'll be great, no doubt about that, but I'm curious to see what Bruce and H have come up with on their own, without having Steve come in and arranging the songs in a more "Maiden-esque" manner.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: June 22, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »

It's a great album, no doubt, but I need to hear it again to see if my opinion on it has changed (again). :lol It's been awhile since I last gave it a spin.

Well, it seems like reunion-era Maiden has this habit of releasing a "classic" album with great overall work and production (BNW, AMoLaD), then following it up with a shoddy sounding album that has multiple knock-out high points (Paschendale, Rainmaker, DoD, Starblind, Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, When the Wild Wind Blows). So, if nothing else, I'm thinking/hoping we get a better production this time around.

Someone over at MaidenFan forums said they got to hear the title track recently via a promo disk due to their record label connections. Apparently he only got to hear it once, but he thought that it had a very "live" sounding production and that the songwriting felt like a continuation from TFF. Dunno if he was telling the truth or not, but I figured it was worth sharing.

Dunno if I like the sound of that.  Even though TFF was great, I thought it was pretty loppy in parts.  I'm hoping for something a bit tighter.  Depends if he means the production or performances themselves.  They have been going for that live feel thing since BNW.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #393 on: June 22, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
^ I thought the same thing. 

I don't love TFF, and part of the reason I was so excited for this album was that even just the artwork seemed to hint to a return to a more darker theme.

I don't want to keep fucking around in deep space.

I don't want a NPFTD -> FOTD rehash, I want a fuckeeeen... I dunno.... NOTB -> POM axis of awesome. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2015, 05:57:46 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2015, 06:25:22 AM »
I bet "Empire Of The Clouds" is some kind of aviation story, since it's all Bruce :P

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »
I bet "Empire Of The Clouds" is some kind of aviation story, since it's all Bruce :P

I thought about that, but I really don't know if there's a way to make an interesting eighteen minute long song about that sort of thing. :lol I suppose it's doable. Just seems weird, even for Bruce.

I'm thinking both "If Eternity Should Fail" and "Empire of the Clouds" might be lyrical continuations of the stuff that Bruce was dabbling about with on "Starblind" (i.e. questioning of faith, mortality, criticizing organized religion).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2015, 07:48:11 AM »

Good call!

Offline 425

« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
I thought about that, but I really don't know if there's a way to make an interesting eighteen minute long song about that sort of thing. :lol I suppose it's doable. Just seems weird, even for Bruce.

I'm thinking both "If Eternity Should Fail" and "Empire of the Clouds" might be lyrical continuations of the stuff that Bruce was dabbling about with on "Starblind" (i.e. questioning of faith, mortality, criticizing organized religion).

pls IM

Starblind is easily in my top 5 both musically and lyrically.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
That would be fantastic, Starblind was tremendous lyrically. I can't wait for the single.  :metal

And yeah, that Bruce related news is wonderful. It's great how Bruce isn't really involved in the social media and he can't go "hey, look what I just did, I'm a true humanitarian" - he's not doing it for publicity, he's doing it because he's a good guy indeed.

Offline djbj

« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »

Well thankfully no metal band has ever dared to try questioning organized religion before.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »

Well thankfully no metal band has ever dared to try questioning organized religion before.

It's not an unexplored topic in rock/metal, I know, but it's something that Bruce seems to be fond of and I just get the impression that it's a likely possibility that at least one of those two songs will be dealing with the subject lyrically.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
has anyone done a top 100 maiden songs list?  my bro just sent me his and I'm gonna do one now.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
There's a thread for different people doing Top 25 Maiden songs.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36365.0
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: June 25, 2015, 01:18:48 AM »
Ah right, that was during my hiatus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: June 25, 2015, 05:14:34 AM »
Feel free to resurrect the thread bro.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
Good thing Dickinson recorded all his vocals before the cancer scare; if not that would have seriously delayed the release date.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »
Seems like he got the cancer scare not long after they finished at all, if not during the end.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #411 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
Good thing Dickinson recorded all his vocals before the cancer scare; if not that would have seriously delayed the release date.

Indeed. From the sound of his voice during the performances at Rock Am Ring and Sonisphere last year, I'm thinking Bruce should sound pretty fine on the album, if perhaps not quite as great as he did on TFF. Depends on how patient he and the band were with getting his vocals right.

Seems like he got the cancer scare not long after they finished at all, if not during the end.

Indeed. I'm curious to see how he holds up on the tour next year. I'm sure most folks will understand if he's not quite back vocally, considering the treatments he had to have gone through.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: June 26, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
Hopefully it calls for a more obscure and varied setlist, more custome made to Bruce's vocals.  We don't want to hear the usual songs if Bruce has to struggle.  Do some other songs that are more suited for Bruce's lower end, not so high.

Or, I know 'Arry has always refused to, but detune.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #413 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:24 PM »
Hopefully it calls for a more obscure and varied setlist, more custome made to Bruce's vocals.  We don't want to hear the usual songs if Bruce has to struggle.  Do some other songs that are more suited for Bruce's lower end, not so high.

Or, I know 'Arry has always refused to, but detune.

Agreed. However, I'm not even sure which songs in the Maiden catalogue are really suited for Bruce's lower voice in that sort of way. Even when singing Paul's and Blaze's songs, he usually sings them in his own more operatic manner.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #414 on: June 26, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
Yea that could open the door to some possible Blaze tunes, too bad they'll probably never play from that era again though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #415 on: June 26, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
I was really excited when I first heard that Bruce had done The Sign of the Cross...but I was a bit mixed on the final product.   The song itself is still incredible, but it seemed to me like maybe they played it just a bit faster (???) and Bruce didn't really sing it with the same "conviction" that Blaze did.     Man....I freakin LOVE that song...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #416 on: June 26, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
Sign of the Cross is AMAZING. It's always been one of my favorite Maiden songs and it's really held up. I first heard it on Rock In Rio, and Bruce does it pretty well. I agree, jammin, that Blaze has a bit more conviction on it. Probably the only Blaze era song where I don't have a strongly preferred singer. And it's just a spectacular song. It has my very favorite Dave Murray solo. Would love to have it show up live just one more time.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
It would be cool to bring one or two Blaze era songs out of the vault

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #418 on: June 26, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »
Yeah, "Como Estais Amigos" needs to be played...

NOT!!!!!!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: June 26, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Hey, that's an awesome song.

I was really excited when I first heard that Bruce had done The Sign of the Cross...but I was a bit mixed on the final product.   The song itself is still incredible, but it seemed to me like maybe they played it just a bit faster (???) and Bruce didn't really sing it with the same "conviction" that Blaze did.     Man....I freakin LOVE that song...

I wonder if the 'conviction' thing just comes down to the fact that the song is pretty much a walk in the park for Bruce's register, whereas it sounded like Blaze was literally singing for his life in the chorus.