Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571155 times)

Offline 425

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9590 on: June 01, 2023, 09:55:03 AM »
It is interesting though how much they've changed up their end-of-show.  In the reunion era, haven't they almost always done Iron Maiden and a combo of at least two of: NOTB, RTTH, Hallowed, Running Free, and Sanctuary to end their shows?

I know they've done other tours where they've rested each of those (maybe not FotD or IM).   I know they rested Hallowed when there was that legal kerfluffle, about plagiarism.   

They've rested HBTN a couple of times since 2012. It was not played for the first time on the Maiden England tour, which was before the legal kerfuffle, and also not played on TBoS tour, which I think was the time of the kerfuffle.

To my knowledge, FotD has only rested in the reunion era on The Early Days Tour, when the whole setlist was from the first four albums. And it's almost always played right before Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden has never and will never rest. It has always been and will always be the last song of the main set. At this point I think of it more as an event than as a piece of music in a concert setlist.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9591 on: June 01, 2023, 10:00:47 AM »
^^^

To your previous post:

- The Blood Brothers encore was EPIC.  I saw that in Brooklyn and it gave me a new appreciation for that song.

- The DT connection; it IS somewhere in between, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the DT thread here is rife with discussion about declining ticket sales.    They may not play PMU, but they're also not replacing it with something consistent.  There's a LOT of discussion about the setlist, and it's not all positive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9592 on: June 01, 2023, 10:08:31 AM »
IM's encores have definitely gotten a nice mix up.  Blood Brothers did work surprisingly well. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9593 on: June 01, 2023, 10:17:52 AM »
And then on TBoS tour you get Blood Brothers in the encore—unexpected but cool. For LotB '19, it was back to an expected encore: TETMD, HBTN, RttH. But in 2022, suddenly Clansman is in the encore? And now, of course, HoE.

The Legacy tour was built on "themes" going along with the stage dress.  The initial tour legs had the war-themed songs together at the start (Aces High, Where Eagles Dare, 2 Minutes, Clansman, Trooper).

In 2022, the Senjutsu songs opened the show, so the war themed songs were moved to the encore, which is why Clansman appeared there. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9594 on: June 01, 2023, 10:25:14 AM »
It is interesting though how much they've changed up their end-of-show.  In the reunion era, haven't they almost always done Iron Maiden and a combo of at least two of: NOTB, RTTH, Hallowed, Running Free, and Sanctuary to end their shows?

I know they've done other tours where they've rested each of those (maybe not FotD or IM).   I know they rested Hallowed when there was that legal kerfluffle, about plagiarism.

Oh, I know each of them has gotten a rest.  But my point is that they usually have a block of IM+2-4 of the remaining group in rotation, and it is now IM+1, which is different.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9595 on: June 01, 2023, 01:34:05 PM »
I saw a question on Reddit earlier today that intrigued me...has Iron Maiden ever not played the song Iron Maiden?  Setlist.fm lists about 2,500 concerts for the band and indicates that the song has been played about 2,300 times.  However, there are tons of pre-1980 shows that have no set list, so that accounts for most of the non-plays (and set lists from those days are notoriously unreliable - especially for club bands, which is what Maiden was in the '70s).  I'm guessing the answer is, ultimately, unknowable, but maybe Steve has said something about it in a bio that I've never read.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9596 on: June 01, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
We have bootlegs of a lot of those pre-1980 shows and it seems Iron Maiden is always played. The question is when was that song written, we have bootlegs going back to about 1978 but not much earlier. I would guess since the first show that song was ever played at, it was played every time after. We also know that the theatrics around Eddie that Iron Maiden is a showcase for happened around Dennis Wilcox's time in the band, which began in 1976, so it's possible the song originates around the same time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Pappy

« Reply #9597 on: June 02, 2023, 09:34:44 AM »
Even though they are a band who tends to overdo it on the live releases, I think they just made the next live release a must buy by including it.

I agree that tend to overdo them but at least each release is has such a unique setlist/tour it doesn't feel like you are buying the same concert over and over.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9598 on: June 02, 2023, 09:54:12 AM »
Even though they are a band who tends to overdo it on the live releases, I think they just made the next live release a must buy by including it.

I agree that tend to overdo them but at least each release is has such a unique setlist/tour it doesn't feel like you are buying the same concert over and over.

They definitely make a lot of live albums, but for the most part, I think they are worthy other than the last two which were audio only and neither really stood out.  They needed a video release for the Legacy of the Beast Tour because it was a visual spectacle. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9599 on: June 03, 2023, 03:29:43 PM »
It occurred to me today that all the people saying “give Senjutsu multiple chances to sink in, it’s amazing” are some of the same people who dismiss a DT album after 1 listen (or no listens in the case of The Astonishing). But after revisiting it a few times I do like about half of it. It’s Maiden so I WANT to like it . . .

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #9600 on: June 09, 2023, 08:58:23 AM »
A message from Blaze Bayley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRS80U23x6Q

He's looking good and it sounds like he's aiming to be back on stage by the end of the year.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline 425

« Reply #9601 on: June 09, 2023, 09:12:06 AM »
He definitely looks like he's been through it, but also seems like he's getting his strength back. Good to hear it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9602 on: June 09, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »
Love the guy's energy in that clip. Can't imagine how the recovery must be going after that major heart surgery.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9603 on: June 09, 2023, 04:07:55 PM »
I loved that video...he lost a lot of weight, which will definitely help with his recovery.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9604 on: June 09, 2023, 06:16:45 PM »
Wow, he's shed a ton of weight, fantastic stuff!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9605 on: June 09, 2023, 11:56:05 PM »
A message from Blaze Bayley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRS80U23x6Q

He's looking good and it sounds like he's aiming to be back on stage by the end of the year.

🤘

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9606 on: June 10, 2023, 06:22:13 PM »
Finally got around to watching the video message.

That was tremendous!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9607 on: June 11, 2023, 02:45:33 AM »
Wow, he's shed a ton of weight, fantastic stuff!

Indeed. I hope part of it is down to life choices, just for the sake of his wellbeing and longevity. He tours on such a tiny budget, I have found myself wondering what his touring life is like.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9608 on: June 17, 2023, 01:37:00 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/steve-harris-reveals-the-iron-maiden-deep-cut-hed-like-them-to-play-more-live

That song has always been a big favourite of mine. I'm glad he likes it too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9609 on: June 17, 2023, 05:33:28 AM »
Yeah nice call.  Underrated deep cut for sure.

Offline 425

« Reply #9610 on: June 17, 2023, 05:38:17 AM »
I really like that one as well. It was surprisingly high on my list when we did the ranking last year.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9611 on: June 17, 2023, 05:56:14 AM »
I really like that one as well. It was surprisingly high on my list when we did the ranking last year.

Had it at number 4 on that list. 

Second favourite song off Seventh Son behind Infinite Dreams.  Would love for it to come back to the setlist  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9612 on: June 17, 2023, 07:51:51 AM »
I'm a bit more surprised that he said they played it live before? Awesome song though, I'd love for them to play it

Online Mladen

« Reply #9613 on: June 17, 2023, 08:30:20 AM »
They didn't. It's just that Steve doesn't remember.  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9614 on: June 17, 2023, 08:55:23 AM »
They didn't. It's just that Steve doesn't remember.  ;D

Was wondering if this is misremembering or if they did play it at like some small show that's not documented somewhere.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #9615 on: June 17, 2023, 10:22:52 AM »
Maybe it was rehearsed for a tour?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9616 on: June 17, 2023, 02:22:32 PM »
Would love to see them play that track. And Prodigal Son, too. In fact, I'd love to see them resurrect several of the more rare tracks on Killers which I think is a very underrated album. In particular, I would love to see them break out Genghis Khan, which I think would work really well with 3 guitarists (for those harmonies and underlying rhythm) and give Bruce a mid-show break.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9617 on: June 17, 2023, 04:26:19 PM »
Judas Be My Guide thanks 'Arry!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9618 on: June 17, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »
I'd love yo see Invaders or Back in the Village live, but I know it won't happen.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9619 on: June 17, 2023, 05:50:41 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9620 on: June 19, 2023, 05:10:52 AM »

That was my thought, as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9621 on: June 19, 2023, 05:46:33 AM »
They played it on the album. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9622 on: June 19, 2023, 12:31:10 PM »

That was my thought, as well.
Hmm didn't they admit rehearsing ATG at one point for a previous tour but scrapped it for some reason?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #9623 on: June 19, 2023, 02:08:24 PM »
Love OTGDY and Invaders.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9624 on: June 19, 2023, 02:21:06 PM »
I remember that before the Legacy of the Beast tour started, there wa rumor that they would play Deja Vu. That would be great as well!!! Maybe they tried it and decided not to play. Rush rehearsed Fly by Night and A Farewell to Kings several times in preparation for their last few tours, but eventually they thought both would be too taxing fpr Geddy to sing.