Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 569151 times)

sfam2112 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9310 on: January 18, 2023, 11:21:51 AM »
And there's nothing wrong with a fan service nostalgia tour. Look, I love new music. I love bands to play and support their new music. But when you have bands like Maiden, it's hard to do the balancing act. Personally, I like how they've handled it over the years.

I remember some years ago they did a tour...Maiden super fans correct me here...where they did all stuff from their reunion albums. I was there. I loved it. But then I also loved when they did the whole Seventh Son re-do tour as well. Maiden has so many albums and so many songs, it's incredibly hard to please everyone. I think they do a way better job than some.

And Mosh, I'm not pointing the finger at you at all in a negative way. You know I have nothing but respect for you. But whenever I see the term "fan service" I tend to want to spout off a bit.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9311 on: January 18, 2023, 11:37:07 AM »
I'm not making a value judgment, in fact I think this was the right way to go given really unfortunate timing circumstances with the album promotion cycle. I do see the Somewhere in Time element as a "thank you and sorry for the inconvenience" to the hardcore fans. I doubt they would be thinking about doing something like that if there weren't all the COVID cancelations and the album being put on hold for a year.

I remember some years ago they did a tour...Maiden super fans correct me here...where they did all stuff from their reunion albums. I was there. I loved it. But then I also loved when they did the whole Seventh Son re-do tour as well. Maiden has so many albums and so many songs, it's incredibly hard to please everyone. I think they do a way better job than some.

You're thinking of the 2010 Final Frontier tour (where Dream Theater opened, they just released an official bootleg of the MSG show). I was there too, awesome show! I strongly believe that Maiden's longevity is primarily because they continue to make the new albums a big deal when they play live.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9312 on: January 18, 2023, 01:43:02 PM »
IM are selling jewelry made from used guitar strings http://www.theguitarwrist.co.uk/iron-maiden/

You're thinking of the 2010 Final Frontier tour (where Dream Theater opened, they just released an official bootleg of the MSG show). I was there too, awesome show! I strongly believe that Maiden's longevity is primarily because they continue to make the new albums a big deal when they play live.

I wasn't aware of that! I was also at that show

Offline Mosh

« Reply #9313 on: January 18, 2023, 02:49:54 PM »
There's a bit of discussion about it over on the DT side, definitely worth checking out and pairs well with this bootleg for a complete experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTCKzEKn3rc

Anyone interested in more entries in the Maiden discography thread? Could be fun to discuss the new album and LOTB tour in depth. The original plan was going to update it again when LOTB ended (the tour started a few weeks after that thread finished), but obviously that tour took way longer than anyone could have expected.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9314 on: January 18, 2023, 03:12:53 PM »
Anyone interested in more entries in the Maiden discography thread? Could be fun to discuss the new album and LOTB tour in depth. The original plan was going to update it again when LOTB ended (the tour started a few weeks after that thread finished), but obviously that tour took way longer than anyone could have expected.  :lol

Definitely!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9315 on: January 18, 2023, 05:20:42 PM »

Definitely!

+1.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9316 on: January 18, 2023, 11:41:44 PM »
Thirded. Always a real appetite for Maiden in this forum.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9317 on: January 25, 2023, 09:35:52 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-on-his-upcoming-solo-album-im-very-proud-of-it-i-think-its-gonna-be-quite-special?utm_content=metal-hammer&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow

Might get the next Bruce solo album later this year after the IM tour and he says he plans to tour for it too! A Bruce solo tour would be "can't miss" for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9318 on: January 25, 2023, 09:42:44 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-on-his-upcoming-solo-album-im-very-proud-of-it-i-think-its-gonna-be-quite-special?utm_content=metal-hammer&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow

Might get the next Bruce solo album later this year after the IM tour and he says he plans to tour for it too! A Bruce solo tour would be "can't miss" for me.

Definitely!! Seen him twice solo and he's awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9319 on: January 25, 2023, 01:04:47 PM »
The last time he toured solo the world was so young (the internet, at least!) and I didn't even know he was coming my way until after the fact, since I didn't have proper internet access. Oh, the good old times of going to the record store to find out about new releases, and concerts...

Having said that, of course I agree that a Bruce solo tour cannot be missed. Which venues would he play? when he was out of Maiden he played fairly small places, now I'd reckon he'd get at least Dream Theater or Helloween sized crowds if not more.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9320 on: January 25, 2023, 01:08:35 PM »
Yeah, I have to think he'd be playing in 1-3k capacity theaters/ballrooms types.  I just don't know how much interest outside of people like us there is.  British Lion was playing 500 capcity clubs on their last tour of the US to give some sort of an idea. I think Bruce is a bigger draw, but not sure how much bigger.  I could also be completely wrong here.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9321 on: January 25, 2023, 01:15:06 PM »
From reading that it sounds like the album is still a while away.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #9322 on: January 25, 2023, 01:27:48 PM »
Last time he was in my area for his book tour, he was in the same venue that Dream Theater regularly plays in. I'm sure he could draw the same crowd if not more on a music tour. I would guess that Bruce is a massively bigger draw than British Lion and he has more recognition and interest now than when he was a solo artist in the late 90s.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9323 on: January 25, 2023, 01:44:50 PM »
I don't care if it's in a 200 person club or 20,000 arena, one of my absolute bucket list wishes is a Bruce Dickinson solo show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #9324 on: January 25, 2023, 03:45:38 PM »
I don't care if it's in a 200 person club or 20,000 arena.....

:tup

I don't want to see even ONE Maiden song that's been played in the last 20+ years either! Only VERY RARE or ALL Bruce solo songs! :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9325 on: January 25, 2023, 03:46:17 PM »
If and when Bruce decides to do a solo tour, I think he'll easily play good sized theaters. The Orpheum in Boston, The Beacon in New York, The Warfield in San Fran. Those places are just under 3,000 capacity. In some markets, he may play bigger ones. The last time he was a legit solo artist, back in what...1995-1998, the concert business was completely different. His "brand" (I hate that word) was much smaller. He was simply "the ex-singer of Iron Maiden." Let's face it, since then, both he and Halford have increased their profiles dramatically.

I could see Halford and Dickinson co-headlining small amphitheaters (say 8k-10k) with their respective solo bands, if they decided they wanted to go that way. Time and the appreciation of the work from iron Maiden and Judas Priest has only grown over the last 25 years, and their respective frontmen are now (they were before, but even moreso now) absolute legends.

But Bruce...Bruce is fucking Bruce, man. That guy will play any room like there are 100,000 people in the joint.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9326 on: January 25, 2023, 04:22:21 PM »
Yeah, some of this could depend on who he tours with.  My biggest question mark, and while Bruce has become more popular by name, is do people generally know his solo music?  It's kind of obscure at this point.  Basically, if you are an IM fan from the last ten years, are you even aware of this music?  Might be a moot question once his next album comes out.  I'm mostly curious from a booking perspective.  What do the people who front the money expect? 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9327 on: January 25, 2023, 04:28:06 PM »
I think taking Adrian back out with him also would make it a bigger attraction again.  Even getting the AOB/CW lineup back out there would just be incredible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9328 on: January 25, 2023, 04:30:56 PM »
I think taking Adrian back out with him also would make it a bigger attraction again.  Even getting the AOB/CW lineup back out there would just be incredible.

Yeah, nothing was mentioned about Adrian in that article, only Roy Z.  Would be great if Adrian was involved again, but I guess we have to wait and see if he's involved at all (on the album and/or on the tour).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9329 on: January 25, 2023, 04:37:36 PM »

Yeah, nothing was mentioned about Adrian in that article, only Roy Z.  Would be great if Adrian was involved again, but I guess we have to wait and see if he's involved at all (on the album and/or on the tour).

I would actually be very surprised if he was, it was just pure fantasy from my point of view.  Unless Adrian wants time out though, there's no reason not to have him involved.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9330 on: January 25, 2023, 04:40:14 PM »

I would actually be very surprised if he was, it was just pure fantasy from my point of view.  Unless Adrian wants time out though, there's no reason not to have him involved.

He's got his thing with Ritchie Kotzen that features him a lot more too.  I'm not sure that he needs or wants the work. I'd love to have him on both tour and album, but yeah, it may just be fantasy.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9331 on: January 25, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »

He's got his thing with Ritchie Kotzen that features him a lot more too.  I'm not sure that he needs or wants the work. I'd love to have him on both tour and album, but yeah, it may just be fantasy.

True, forgot about that. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9332 on: January 26, 2023, 04:03:07 AM »
I saw Bruce on the Balls to Picasso tour, and it was awesome. A few years after that he would play in Sao Paulo, where I was living and working at the time, on the show that would become part of the "Scream for me Brazil" release, but I had tonsilitis and couldn't go...it would be awesome to see him do a solo show again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9333 on: January 26, 2023, 06:40:58 AM »
I don't care if it's in a 200 person club or 20,000 arena.....

:tup

I don't want to see even ONE Maiden song that's been played in the last 20+ years either! Only VERY RARE or ALL Bruce solo songs! :metal

I'm still smacking myself almost 30 years later for not seeing him in Toad's Place.  I just didn't - then - have an appreciation for how cool it was to see established, experienced rock and roll players on a small stage in a small club.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9334 on: February 01, 2023, 11:59:24 AM »
Well...Maiden has been nominated for the purported Rock & Roll HOF.

https://www.rockhall.com/2023-nominees

Joining them on the list are a shload of non-rock acts (the current top 5 in fan voting marked by asterisks - Maiden is currently 5th in fan voting).

- A Tribe Called Quest (never heard of them but obviously not a rock band)
- Kate Bush (thank you, Stranger Things)
- Sheryl Crow (I guess she's rock, but did she do anything of significance after Tuesday Night Music Club and her self-titled album?)
- Missy Elliott (rap/hip hop)
- Joy Division/New Order (I know virtually nothing about them, but they were big with the majority new wave crowd when I was in high school)
- *Cyndi Lauper (nominating her feels a bit like nominating Men at Work.  HUGE debut album, solid follow-up and...then what?)
- *George Michael (not sure about him)
- *Willie Nelson (not even remotely rock, but practically guaranteed to get it)
- Rage Against the Machine (we'll see if Jann Wenner's personal fellatio band can persuade others)
- *Soundgarden (not sure)
- The Spinners (I know nothing about these early years/legacy acts)
- The White Stripes (I've heard one WS song about a million times, so...???)
- Warren Zevon (all I know is that obnoxious werewolf song)

Hopefully Maiden will carry the momentum from Priest's induction.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9335 on: February 01, 2023, 12:17:04 PM »
The list certainly makes me think Maiden could make it, but what do I know about this. It's all such a joke.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9336 on: February 01, 2023, 12:59:13 PM »
A Tribe Called Quest was a VERY influential hip hop group from the 90s. They were one of the early experimental hip hop groups who were going for a much more organic jazz/soul/funk feel to their approach.

Their first two albums are essential experimental hip hop. Love those guys.

I think it’s interesting that one day ahead of this announcement, the RNRHOF released a new definition of what rock n roll is. I don’t have it in front of me, but they tried to make it more about the spirit of pushing boundaries rather than a specific genre.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9337 on: February 01, 2023, 01:13:11 PM »
I think it’s interesting that one day ahead of this announcement, the RNRHOF released a new definition of what rock n roll is. I don’t have it in front of me, but they tried to make it more about the spirit of pushing boundaries rather than a specific genre.

Yeah, they can't just change a definition to try and cover their ass.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9338 on: February 01, 2023, 01:53:02 PM »
More Jann Wenner/Rolling Stone hubris.   I'm not sure there's a guy who has done less that actually MATTERS and yet thinks that highly of himself.  What a tool.   As if he can "define" what rock and roll is? That's the whole fucking point of rock and roll!!!  It defies description!!!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9339 on: February 01, 2023, 02:07:38 PM »
Well, we know Kate Bush is an absolute lock after last year and Stranger Things.  I'd like to see Maiden get in. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9340 on: February 02, 2023, 01:32:25 AM »
I don't think Maiden will make it. Even if they do, I don't think they'll show up to the ceremony. Steve, Bruce and Rod strike me as people that hold tight to their integrity and principles.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9341 on: February 02, 2023, 03:29:35 AM »
Steve, Bruce and Rod strike me as people that hold tight to their integrity and principles.

What, the same integrity that encourages them to - what's the phrase Americans use? - ah, yes. The same integrity that encourages them to nickle and dime fans for everything they're worth with pointless 'remasters' of re-releases and all sorts of other tat?

Bruce would chunter a bit but nah, they'd be all over this like a cheap suit.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9342 on: February 02, 2023, 03:39:43 AM »
Steve, Bruce and Rod strike me as people that hold tight to their integrity and principles.

What, the same integrity that encourages them to - what's the phrase Americans use? - ah, yes. The same integrity that encourages them to nickle and dime fans for everything they're worth with pointless 'remasters' of re-releases and all sorts of other tat?

Bruce would chunter a bit but nah, they'd be all over this like a cheap suit.

The record labels remastering and re-releasing albums which is a common practice for all older bands means the band lack integrity?  This seems totally unbalanced and unfair IMO.

I honestly believe they wouldn't attend.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9343 on: February 02, 2023, 04:38:53 AM »
"Bruce would write a country album if he thought it would sell" - Steve Harris (admittedly during the middle of the breakdown in their relationship 😁)

Look, I love these guys but don't think for a minute they're not deeply involved in how to best monetise every single avenue available to them.

Edit: I will concede I might still be a little bitter at Bruce for voting for Brexit then whining about the impact of it.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9344 on: February 02, 2023, 04:57:17 AM »
I don't think the hall of fame is something that would bring them money. Beers, headphones and other genuinely useful things? Sure. Hall of fame? I doubt it.

However, I do not necessarily frame their principles and integrity as always positive characteristics. As much as I love the band, it's odd how much pride they often feature. It's as if a lot of stuff is "below their standards."