Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571503 times)

Offline porcacultor

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9275 on: January 13, 2023, 08:34:18 PM »
It seems like Bruce gave up on keeping the cat inside the bag for the next tour and answered a burning setlist question at one of his recent spoken word gigs. I'll be vague about it because there may be people who don't want to be spoiled on the set (excess of caution, perhaps?), but really, I'm so glad for what's coming!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9276 on: January 13, 2023, 10:01:14 PM »
It seems like Bruce gave up on keeping the cat inside the bag for the next tour and answered a burning setlist question at one of his recent spoken word gigs. I'll be vague about it because there may be people who don't want to be spoiled on the set (excess of caution, perhaps?), but really, I'm so glad for what's coming!

Well, you just gave it away from your post.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9277 on: January 14, 2023, 06:40:17 AM »
I haven't seen any clips about it, but if we're talking about that song that they've been teasing about since years, I guess it's gonna be after all the LEAST surprising part of the setlist.

I mean, at this point, after all the years of teasing and doing a tour based on that album, NOT playing it would be a dick move, akin like not playing Infinite Dreams during the Maiden England tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9278 on: January 14, 2023, 07:52:26 AM »

Well, you just gave it away from your post.

I think I took enough care with how I worded it, but by all means let's keep talking about stamps.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9279 on: January 14, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »
Anyone with more than a passing interest in Maiden will know what song Bruce (and therefore your goodself) is talking about :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9280 on: January 14, 2023, 03:50:56 PM »
Didn't he say they're discussing it? Is that to be taken as confirmation?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9281 on: January 14, 2023, 04:00:28 PM »
Maybe I’m just being dense but I’ve been an Iron Maiden fan since 1985 and I don’t know what you guys are talking about. Of course, I haven’t listen to the interview either.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9282 on: January 14, 2023, 04:15:36 PM »
Bloody hell. I'm flabbergasted by that, JD.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online pg1067

« Reply #9283 on: January 14, 2023, 04:25:45 PM »
Someone posted on Reddit that Dickinson confirmed they'd be playing Alexander the Great.  People who commented on it refuted the claim.  I haven't seen anything else on the subject.

Anyone with more than a passing interest in Maiden will know what song Bruce (and therefore your goodself) is talking about :lol
Agree, but I used the small font anyway.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9284 on: January 14, 2023, 04:30:28 PM »
Someone posted on Reddit that Dickinson confirmed they'd be playing Alexander the Great.  People who commented on it refuted the claim.  I haven't seen anything else on the subject.

Agree, but I used the small font anyway.

Thank you. Got it

Offline DTA

« Reply #9285 on: January 14, 2023, 05:54:59 PM »
If they can’t play it with 3 guitarists then they’re just being assholes at this point. It’s a hard rock song, not an opera.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9286 on: January 14, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »
If they can’t play it with 3 guitarists then they’re just being assholes at this point. It’s a hard rock song, not an opera.

I think it was always the complexity of it.  Not that it's over the top complex (only that 7/8 section) but I remember there always being a bullshit reason about not being able to remember it or something.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9287 on: January 16, 2023, 09:17:32 AM »
Here's the video that was referenced earlier (don't click if you don't want a spoiler, but that last person made it really obvious): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej6oUY6-WKM

I don't really take it as confirmation for anything.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9288 on: January 16, 2023, 09:45:28 AM »
Here's the video that was referenced earlier (don't click if you don't want a spoiler, but that last person made it really obvious): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej6oUY6-WKM

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's definite confirmation, but it's curious that he included it as part of his routine. At this point, it's the white elephant in the room. And I love how the fans have spoken!   :rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9289 on: January 16, 2023, 10:35:19 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's definite confirmation, but it's curious that he included it as part of his routine. At this point, it's the white elephant in the room. And I love how the fans have spoken!   :rollin

He didn't include it in his routine, specifically.  it's the part of his routine where he answers fan-submitted questions.  I think the video is hilarious as he's just flipping the cards and reading question after question about the song.  His answer was "I can't tell you," which isn't truly confirming anything, but makes one suspicious that it may likely be played.  Either way, I think it's much ado about nothing. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9290 on: January 16, 2023, 10:51:13 AM »

“This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Iron Maiden.”

Hmmmmm

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9291 on: January 16, 2023, 11:01:02 AM »

“This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Iron Maiden.”

Hmmmmm
And even the Blabbermouth post talking about those videos has disappeared! Things to make you say "Hmmmmm" indeed.  ::) :omg:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9292 on: January 16, 2023, 11:22:03 AM »
Here's the same clip - watch it before Maiden has it deleted!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SUkzryIxok

And here is the now (suspiciously) missing BM article (thanks to the Wayback Machine):
https://web.archive.org/web/20230115143740/https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-answers-fan-submitted-questions-at-bergen-stop-of-january-2023-spoken-word-tour

Iron Maiden: "These are not the droids you're looking for..."  :lol

They're gonna end up causing the "Streisand effect" to happen.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:31:55 AM by Setlist Scotty »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #9293 on: January 16, 2023, 11:42:12 AM »
It's a bit 100%. The questions are preselected during intermission and I'm sure there are some fake questions thrown in.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9294 on: January 16, 2023, 01:35:03 PM »

I think it was always the complexity of it.  Not that it's over the top complex (only that 7/8 section) but I remember there always being a bullshit reason about not being able to remember it or something.

Um, maybe it's just not that good of a song... just sayin'. :) :) :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9295 on: January 16, 2023, 01:39:55 PM »

Ya. It’s ok. But I never understood the fan service of that song myself.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9296 on: January 16, 2023, 02:06:59 PM »
How it ends so abruptly castrates the track a bit, honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9297 on: January 16, 2023, 02:08:47 PM »
He didn't include it in his routine, specifically.  it's the part of his routine where he answers fan-submitted questions.
I know that. My point is, he could've avoided those questions completely, since he doesn't answer every question submitted. But instead, he decided to acknowledge them. That's what I meant by him including it in his routine.

Different strokes for different folks, but it's a song I love. And I think because it's not only one of the longer songs from the 80s, but also one that has never been played live has helped it build up its "legendary" status. I think a fair comparison would be to Rush's The Camera Eye, which IMO is a decent song, but really nothing exceptional and perhaps a bit bloated. But before Rush brought it back in 2010, it seemed to top all the wish lists that were compiled of what fans wanted to see them play. I'd say the way you guys view AtG is similar.

How it ends so abruptly castrates the track a bit, honestly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9298 on: January 16, 2023, 02:34:15 PM »

I like it, but won't be up in arms if they don't play it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9299 on: January 17, 2023, 07:16:22 AM »

Different strokes for different folks, but it's a song I love. And I think because it's not only one of the longer songs from the 80s, but also one that has never been played live has helped it build up its "legendary" status. I think a fair comparison would be to Rush's The Camera Eye, which IMO is a decent song, but really nothing exceptional and perhaps a bit bloated. But before Rush brought it back in 2010, it seemed to top all the wish lists that were compiled of what fans wanted to see them play. I'd say the way you guys view AtG is similar.

That's all true, of course, but I bristle at that stuff generally.  Things get a sort of reputation after a while, and I find it... puzzling.  It's the same thing that happened back when Flying Colors was coming out, and they released the song titles, and durations.  Within about eight minutes, without hearing a note of music, there were all these people saying "OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!  BLUE OCEAN IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!" and "CAN'T WAIT FOR INFINITE FIRE, BITCHES!" (yes, they said that! :) :) ).    And it was nothing more than the time of the song.  Wha?   The Beatles Revolution 9 is their longest song by far, and it's not even a song!  It's a sound collage! And one of the greatest songs ever written in the history of music (at least evidenced by it's sales and cover versions) is "Yesterday", 2:05 of near perfection.   

I don't begrudge anyone from liking the song; hell, my list shows that I'm my own man when it comes to liking songs by bands.  But to project that on others, or the band... I don't get it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9300 on: January 17, 2023, 08:08:21 AM »

Also reminds me of Space Dye Vest.  You don't hear too many people calling for that song to be played anymore once DT finally played it.

I enjoy ATG, but it's mid tier IM.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9301 on: January 17, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »
I used to consider it top 10, but it has fallen quite a bit as I've grown to like a lot of other songs more.  But I'd still love to see it. 

Regarding the video, I agree with those who say it isn't even nearly a "confirmation" of anything.  But at the same time, unless there is a long running joke of Bruce trolling fans about it every tour, this really seems like a strong hint that they are going to do it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9302 on: January 17, 2023, 02:21:38 PM »
To me, the real hint is Iron Maiden taking anything related to it down from the internet.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9303 on: January 17, 2023, 02:25:51 PM »
Bruce has teased playing it before

To me, the real hint is Iron Maiden taking anything related to it down from the internet.

But this is how I feel too.  I feel IM mostly don't care about what's posted on the internet about them, so seeing this is odd and maybe more of a confirmation than what was even posted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9304 on: January 17, 2023, 02:35:35 PM »

That's true.  Bruce has said many times and even I remember in concerts saying to film and share as much stuff about the band as possible that they didn't give a fuck about what's really out there so it is interesting behaviour.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #9305 on: January 17, 2023, 03:35:33 PM »
I used to consider it top 10, but it has fallen quite a bit as I've grown to like a lot of other songs more.  But I'd still love to see it. 

Regarding the video, I agree with those who say it isn't even nearly a "confirmation" of anything.  But at the same time, unless there is a long running joke of Bruce trolling fans about it every tour, this really seems like a strong hint that they are going to do it.
There kind of is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWsuWg8Q6AE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxfSgS4TYYs

Only difference now is there is a tour where it seems like an obvious choice. At the same time though, it also seems like an obvious choice to not play it. I can see it going either way.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9306 on: January 18, 2023, 05:22:24 AM »
Bruce also said they would be playing Senjutsu all the way through in smaller venues for this tour - Bruce often presents his views and opinions as fact, forgetting that Rod and 'Arry also have a say. Take anything he says with a pinch of salt the size of Lot's wife.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9307 on: January 18, 2023, 08:40:40 AM »
Bruce also said they would be playing Senjutsu all the way through in smaller venues for this tour - Bruce often presents his views and opinions as fact, forgetting that Rod and 'Arry also have a say. Take anything he says with a pinch of salt the size of Lot's wife.

I'll be bummed if that doesn't happen, but honestly, I think the odds are very low that it does.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9308 on: January 18, 2023, 08:49:08 AM »
Yeah, given the next tour announcement, I'm not sure when they'd do a Senjutsu in full tour.  And while it would be awesome to see IM play in a smaller venue, I just don't see the reason for them to do that when it's more likely they can be playing stadiums.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #9309 on: January 18, 2023, 11:17:29 AM »
As far as I know, Bruce never said that they were going to do it, he said they were considering it. I'm sure it was a serious consideration at one point before they figured out a way to combine it into a fan service-y nostalgia tour.