Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 565095 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9030 on: July 25, 2022, 11:05:47 PM »
The Daily Doug did The Thin Line Between Love And Hate today..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6fw72mbKM

Oh, brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Was in my personal top ten.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9031 on: July 26, 2022, 05:43:07 AM »

I can't stand this guy anymore.  He gives me the shits.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #9032 on: July 27, 2022, 04:41:49 AM »
Another brilliant break down video from Licks Of The Beast
Not a cover, not a play through, if you want to know all the guitar parts from 'Infinite Dreams'
https://youtu.be/Ux7fsAe8cK0

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9033 on: August 15, 2022, 11:40:32 AM »
Iron Maiden - Drums with Nicko and Pooch

I love how much they go into the detail, really interesting stuff!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online WardySI

« Reply #9034 on: August 16, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »

Can I ask why mate?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9035 on: August 16, 2022, 11:32:25 PM »

Can I ask why mate?

I'm easily annoyed.  :lol

Just comes across a bit.......I dunno......arrogant.  I did watch this one actually and it wasn't that bad.  I appreciate his appreciation for Maiden plus a few others I've seen though.  He talks over parts too, I hate when people do that.  Saying the lyrics of the line he just heard to the camera while talking over more lyrics, I hate that.  Like yes we know the lyrics mate

I guess he started analysing more of the lyrics than the music too which I found boring.  I want his insight on the music which there was a bit more of in this one.  I like how he can pick the keys and key changes but I want more.  I already know what he knows and what he's saying but at the same time, I know a band like Maiden is simple as fuck in terms of musical structure and complexity so there's sometimes not a hell of a lot to say.

Its a me thing.  :lol

Online WardySI

« Reply #9036 on: August 17, 2022, 01:47:19 AM »

Can I ask why mate?

Just comes across a bit.......I dunno......arrogant.  I did watch this one actually and it wasn't that bad.  I appreciate his appreciation for Maiden plus a few others I've seen though.  He talks over parts too, I hate when people do that.  Saying the lyrics of the line he just heard to the camera while talking over more lyrics, I hate that.  Like yes we know the lyrics mate

I guess he started analysing more of the lyrics than the music too which I found boring.  I want his insight on the music which there was a bit more of in this one.  I like how he can pick the keys and key changes but I want more.  I already know what he knows and what he's saying but at the same time, I know a band like Maiden is simple as fuck in terms of musical structure and complexity so there's sometimes not a hell of a lot to say.

Alrighty then! ;D

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9037 on: September 07, 2022, 12:20:19 AM »
Well, the Brazilian tour came and went, and so did my time with Eddie and the boys!

I saw them in São Paulo and was surprised at how COLD the audience seemed. In all my concert-going days I couldn't have pictured such a mild crowd for this show! But then again, the weather was indeed cold by São Paulo standards (about 13°C/55°F), with drizzle over the afternoon... maybe that prevented people from going all out.

But the band itself was SPECTACULAR! It really feels like they're on a roll, every member felt like they were going all out on their instruments. I've seen Dave getting a bit mellow before, for instance, but not so here. Almost as lively as Janick (who edges out because of his crazy dancing and guitar swishing moves).

After not knowing if concerts would ever be a thing again, I felt blessed watching Iron Maiden do their thing. Any qualms about the setlist being a bit too Greatest Hits-y withered away. They were magnificent.

But the real reason I'm bumping this thread is to point out that their Rock in Rio '22 broadcast from a few days ago might just have some of the best audio quality for a live Maiden concert I've EVER witnessed. Youtube compression notwithstanding, I'm really surprised at how you can easily pick out what each guitar is playing at any given time. Even the backing vocals are properly separated and enhanced! The drums sound FANTASTIC as well, much better than what my ears could pick up in São Paulo (that's stadium sound for you).

Quite interesting that during Janick's solo in Blood Brothers the camera alternates between him and Post Malone in the crowd balancing a cup on his head and goofing around.

Here's the upload for y'all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfkcq_Do75U

EDIT:

Just a couple of highlights off the top of my head from the show I attended:
- the first bass note in Sign of the Cross was the first time the bass really stood out from the live mix, and WHOAH did it have an effect on me. I almost thought he was playing the acoustic bass since it sounded so pungent, but not so. The overall sound quality went from a muffled mess for the first two tracks to increasingly better as the night went on, which is normal, I guess.

- Steve's backing vocal parts in Iron Maiden were REALLY loud. Surprisingly so, might've been the highlight of the night for me to hear him so clearly.

- The fact that the weather was so shitty didn't get lost on Bruce, who commented on it during his pre-Blood Brothers speech. Good opportunity to mention how ASTOUNDING the man sounds live. Nothing can get this man down, he's a treasure.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9038 on: September 07, 2022, 02:23:03 AM »

Can I ask why mate?

I get the same issues with Elizabeth on The Charismatic Voice. These sort of channels are fun when you're watching someone who really understands music listening to a genre of music they've never heard before, and have no knowledge of, and watching them truly appreciate metal with fresh eyes - it reminded me of why I love this music. But pretty soon their choices become governed by the pretty narrow tastes of their patreons, and they just end up become part of the metal scene, and have to temper what they say and what they review to keep artists and labels on side, especially once they become dependant on access to artists for interviews, backstage access, etc. Doug is no longer a classical musician exploring metal for the first time, he's now a part of the record industry promotion machine for metal artists.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9039 on: September 07, 2022, 04:47:43 AM »

Can I ask why mate?

I get the same issues with Elizabeth on The Charismatic Voice. These sort of channels are fun when you're watching someone who really understands music listening to a genre of music they've never heard before, and have no knowledge of, and watching them truly appreciate metal with fresh eyes - it reminded me of why I love this music. But pretty soon their choices become governed by the pretty narrow tastes of their patreons, and they just end up become part of the metal scene, and have to temper what they say and what they review to keep artists and labels on side, especially once they become dependant on access to artists for interviews, backstage access, etc. Doug is no longer a classical musician exploring metal for the first time, he's now a part of the record industry promotion machine for metal artists.

Perhaps this is another reason why he gives me the shits.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9040 on: September 07, 2022, 09:05:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing this. Put it on this afternoon while working and it's really good, lovely recording. Bruce sounds great for the most part. Compare and contrast to James's performance at Rock in Rio (which people are curiously waxing lyrical about over in the DT part of the forum).

Edit: ooh, Bruce's performance of Aces High is a bit iffy. Right at the very top of his range now. But still, final song of the show... I mean fancy Aces High being the last song. Crazy decision, presumably by Steve Harris. Same kind of thinking that led to Blaze attempting to sing Bruce's songs in the same bloody key.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:22:48 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline 425

« Reply #9041 on: September 07, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »

I don't watch Elizabeth as much as I used to, but I will give her credit for the fact that she still does a lot of non-metal reactions and doesn't repeatedly farm the same small set of artists. Nightwish is probably the band she's done the most, and it looks like she's done ten songs (spread across four different singers), in comparison to the Daily Doug's 26 Iron Maiden reactions. She's also a really good interviewer. A lot of musician interviews can feel kind of cagey, but she really gets people to relax and open up.

It does matter that I always liked her better than Doug. This is true just on a personality basis, but I also found her analysis of vocal technique more interesting than Doug saying what the key or time signature is.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9042 on: September 07, 2022, 09:46:11 AM »

Thanks for sharing this. Put it on this afternoon while working and it's really good, lovely recording. Bruce sounds great for the most part. Compare and contrast to James's performance at Rock in Rio (which people are curiously waxing lyrical about over in the DT part of the forum).

Edit: ooh, Bruce's performance of Aces High is a bit iffy. Right at the very top of his range now. But still, final song of the show... I mean fancy Aces High being the last song. Crazy decision, presumably by Steve Harris. Same kind of thinking that led to Blaze attempting to sing Bruce's songs in the same bloody key.

It is really intriguing to me how Aces High came to be the LAST song in the set. Since word has it that Rod Smallwood picked the setlist, of all people, I'm left to wonder whether he suggested that placement as well.
Plus, we cannot rule out the possibility that Bruce said "let's go out with Aces High because then the spitfire comes out. I can manage singing it, no problem!". Of course, that might be my pro-Harris bias  :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9043 on: September 07, 2022, 10:02:43 AM »
Indeed excellent video and audio recordings. Considering Bruce's age and stage attitude, his singing is still almost a miracle. In HD:
https://www.guitars101.com/threads/iron-maiden-2022-09-02-rock-in-rio-rio-de-janeiro-brazil-hdtv-1080i-complete-show.786454/
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9044 on: September 15, 2022, 12:24:30 PM »
The band released an official live video for Stratego

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvfDQKtxFM

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9045 on: September 15, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
Saw them two days ago in Austin. What a memorable show.  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9046 on: September 16, 2022, 09:59:57 AM »
Don't know how this guy got away with it but he filmed the full Austin show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUj9p8aQz3o&t=10s

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #9047 on: September 21, 2022, 05:01:54 PM »
Anyone going to Anaheim tomorrow?  Still need to buy a ticket since I've been waiting for the best deal, going to a number of pricey shows in the next few weeks so i need to budget where I can  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9048 on: September 22, 2022, 11:47:43 AM »
Anyone going to Anaheim tomorrow?  Still need to buy a ticket since I've been waiting for the best deal, going to a number of pricey shows in the next few weeks so i need to budget where I can  :lol

I'll be there!  Up in section 439, but I'll be in the front row of the section.  I just checked Stubhub, and the cheapest single seat is $108 (with fees), and it's $305 to stand in the mass of people on the floor.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #9049 on: September 22, 2022, 11:59:07 AM »
Cheapest deal on TickPick right stands at $98.00 in Section 436.  I'm going wait it out for the next few hours.  I rather prefer spending a little less than what I spent in the LA show in 2019 (which around around $70.00).

Edit: At $81.00 now.  Keep it dropping.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:51:28 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9050 on: September 23, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9051 on: September 24, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »
1-800 Kars For Kids  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0JFPZT0x4

That little girl doing the intro is almost more creepy than the original!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9052 on: September 24, 2022, 03:13:15 PM »
That was pretty good, and the vocals were amazingly good with that control. It would be cool to know if these kids formed their own bands.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online WardySI

« Reply #9053 on: September 25, 2022, 01:36:37 AM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #9054 on: September 29, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #9055 on: September 29, 2022, 07:01:03 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping to see a CD release of BoH to finally break the Eddie's Archive exclusivity, but I guess they're keeping that in place.

I do find it interesting that 'Arry's decided to just come out and release a version of TNotB with Total Eclipse and without Gangland. I think it will now be the best version of the album, but there'll obviously be some controversy about removing a song from the tracklisting of a beloved 40-year-old album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #9056 on: September 29, 2022, 07:10:35 PM »
I do find it interesting that 'Arry's decided to just come out and release a version of TNotB with Total Eclipse and without Gangland. I think it will now be the best version of the album, but there'll obviously be some controversy about removing a song from the tracklisting of a beloved 40-year-old album.

I don’t know if I like it. Revising a historic album for its anniversary? But also, we’re swapping a weak song for a great one that, in all of their eyes at least, should have been on there from the start.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline 425

« Reply #9057 on: September 29, 2022, 08:11:36 PM »
It's tough. I think it's undeniably a vast improvement for the album—I think Gangland is the weakest song from those sessions while Total Eclipse is second or third best. But I agree that an anniversary release is probably not the time. The nine track version they've released before might have been the way to go.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9058 on: September 29, 2022, 08:13:31 PM »
Interesting.  If that's what 'Arry wants, then why not?  It's not like Gangland can't be listened to or anything.  I never really knew the story behind it but reading it now, fair play.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9059 on: September 30, 2022, 04:37:03 AM »
I'm on an island of one here, I know. But this weakens the album for me. Total Eclipse has never done a single thing for me and I just don't get the reverence with which it is treated.

Also: no added value at all in this release, is there? Can't believe their pension funds need it.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9060 on: September 30, 2022, 04:56:49 AM »
I'm on an island of one here, I know. But this weakens the album for me. Total Eclipse has never done a single thing for me and I just don't get the reverence with which it is treated.

Also: no added value at all in this release, is there? Can't believe their pension funds need it.

I’m with you. I’m taking Gangland all day every day over Total Eclipse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9061 on: September 30, 2022, 04:58:41 AM »
I think both are great songs.  I've always loved the remastered version with both included.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #9062 on: September 30, 2022, 05:49:09 AM »
Maybe they could've recorded and added in Adrian's missing solo in Gangland instead.  :justjen
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9063 on: September 30, 2022, 05:53:38 AM »
I like Gangland, but Total eclipse is a much better song in my opinion. Interesting take to release a version of the album like that, though. I've never made a playlist with Total eclipse instead of Gangland, but I'll have to do it and check out what it sounds like.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9064 on: September 30, 2022, 05:54:15 AM »
Maybe they could've recorded and added in Adrian's missing solo in Gangland instead.  :justjen

That would be Dave's solo.  Or maybe Janick could throw one in to really throw everyone off!