Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570838 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8330 on: April 28, 2022, 07:38:43 AM »
This just in: "Elon Musk buys Iron Maiden and forces Jannick Gers out of the band"

Did you spell his name wrong on purpose?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online pg1067

« Reply #8331 on: April 28, 2022, 09:36:43 AM »
Seems like a ranking of the songs on the Di'Anno albums is in order!

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Murders in the Rue Morgue
3. Wrathchild
4. Purgatory

5. Charlotte the Harlot
6. Prodigal Son
7. Prowler
8. Transylvania
9. Iron Maiden
10. Sanctuary

11. Killers
12. Genghis Khan
13. Drifter
14. The Ides of March

15. Running Free
16. Remember Tomorrow
17. Strange World

18. Innocent Exile
19. Another Life
20. Twilight Zone

I'm not 100% sure about the order of 4-7.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8332 on: April 28, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »

I'm listening to The Number of the Beast right now, so I might post on that in a bit, or perhaps tomorrow. Next, I'm actually going to listen to Beast Over Hammersmith for the first time ever. When I first got into the band, it was basically not available at all, but I saw that they now have it for download on iTunes, so I'm going to try that one. Will probably continue including the live stuff on my discography run.

I really want to hear your thoughts on this.  I saw Maiden for the first time on this tour (opening for Priest).  I'm not really exaggerating when I say that everything since has been measured against that.  When the first thing you see in your concert life is Bruce Dickinson singing "Murders In The Rue Morgue", and then BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM Wrathschild/Run To The Hills/Children Of The Damned/The Number Of The Beast, it's hard to top. 

This was my setlist:

Murders In The Rue Morgue
Wreathschild
Run To The Hills
Children Of The Damned
The Number Of The Beast
22 Acacia Avenue
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden (with the 12-foot Eddie)
Drifter

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8333 on: April 28, 2022, 10:04:56 AM »
This just in: "Elon Musk buys Iron Maiden and forces Jannick Gers out of the band"

Pretty sure it’s M U S K.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8334 on: April 28, 2022, 10:17:08 AM »
1     Another Life
2   Prodigal Son
3   Murders in the Rue Morgue

4   Strange World
5   Purgatory
6   Iron Maiden
7   Remember Tomorrow

8   Innocent Exile
9   Prowler
10   Phantom of the Opera
11   Running Free

12   Drifter
13.   Killers
14   Wrathchild
15   Genghis Khan

16    Transylvania
17   Charlotte the Harlot

18   The Ides of March
19   Twilight Zone

20   Sanctuary

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8335 on: April 28, 2022, 12:45:25 PM »
Guys you're spoiling the upcoming Maiden countdown!

Offline 425

« Reply #8336 on: April 29, 2022, 03:40:37 PM »
Been meaning to post about TNotB:

I think this is one where my estimation did not change at all upon listening to it again. I still think it's a really good album that's deserving of its status as a landmark in the genre, and I still think that Maiden subsequently surpassed it many, many times.

The thing that stands out most to me on this album is how incredible Bruce sounds. Coming off the previous two albums with Di'Anno, who isn't a bad singer, but is definitely not to my preference, it feels like a huge step forward in the vocal department. Invaders, a song I've always liked, just comes right out of the gate in that regard.

The weird part of the experience for this album is that there are three songs that I've just heard so many times outside of the album context as a result of them being on the majority of Maiden live releases. It makes it challenging to think about them in the album context. But this time around I did focus on Hallowed from the songwriting perspective, since the live performance aspect was not relevant, and, yeah, this song just does not get old.

I liked Gangland a little better than I remembered. But it remains the odd song out here. Total Eclipse is still way better.

The other downside is that the 22 Acacia Avenue lyrics bother me more now than they did when I was younger. I think I just have less tolerance for crassly sexual lyrics than I did when I was younger. It's still a very good song musically, though. Glad they dropped that subject matter for the next six years, and then dropped it again after FotD.

I'm listening to The Number of the Beast right now, so I might post on that in a bit, or perhaps tomorrow. Next, I'm actually going to listen to Beast Over Hammersmith for the first time ever. When I first got into the band, it was basically not available at all, but I saw that they now have it for download on iTunes, so I'm going to try that one. Will probably continue including the live stuff on my discography run.

I really want to hear your thoughts on this.  I saw Maiden for the first time on this tour (opening for Priest).  I'm not really exaggerating when I say that everything since has been measured against that.  When the first thing you see in your concert life is Bruce Dickinson singing "Murders In The Rue Morgue", and then BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM Wrathschild/Run To The Hills/Children Of The Damned/The Number Of The Beast, it's hard to top. 

This was my setlist:

Murders In The Rue Morgue
Wreathschild
Run To The Hills
Children Of The Damned
The Number Of The Beast
22 Acacia Avenue
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden (with the 12-foot Eddie)
Drifter

Oh, that's interesting, that makes me more excited to listen to this one. I'm starting it now, and I'll try to post about it tonight. There are
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8337 on: April 30, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »

I’ve never forgiven Jannick for not being Bernie Torme when I saw Gillan.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8338 on: April 30, 2022, 05:03:50 PM »

I’ve never forgiven Jannick for not being Bernie Torme when I saw Gillan.

:lol

Offline 425

« Reply #8339 on: May 01, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »
I had some things come up and didn't quite finish Beast Over Hammersmith until today. This is quite a good release! The band and the crowd both have a ton of energy, and it's interesting to hear Bruce on some Di'Anno era songs that he was clearly still figuring out at the time. Plus, it's a live performance of Total Eclipse! Glad I took the time to finally listen to this one.

One of my favorite Maiden albums is next...
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8340 on: May 02, 2022, 07:07:36 AM »
The weird part of the experience for this album is that there are three songs that I've just heard so many times outside of the album context as a result of them being on the majority of Maiden live releases. It makes it challenging to think about them in the album context. But this time around I did focus on Hallowed from the songwriting perspective, since the live performance aspect was not relevant, and, yeah, this song just does not get old.

I'm going to do a full listen-through for my list (it worked for Van Halen, and I regret not doing it for Rush) and one of the things I'm going to concentrate on is the various live versions.  I was trying to learn Hallowed Be Thy Name a while ago, and I went through some of the live versions and I feel like I might have noticed that Dave and Adrian (and now Jannick) don't always play it exactly the same way every time.  I want to confirm that.

Offline 425

« Reply #8341 on: May 02, 2022, 10:50:55 AM »
The second solo, at least is definitely not always played the same way. Janick's rendition of Adrian's solo is noticeably different in different live performances. IMO it's hit or miss. When he nails it, I like his version better than the original because it has more of a frantic energy, but when he misses, it can sound like a mess.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8342 on: May 02, 2022, 01:12:02 PM »
I was running to both SIT and SSOASS recently and was struck by the uniqueness of the sound on both of these releases.

With SIT there were synths and there was a bit of shock about it but I don't hear them much. It's obviously there on the intro to CSIT but no other instance stuck out. Does anyone have any insights to where and how they were used in the recording? The guitars sound quite unique and pretty processed but it almost sounds like that could be chorus or phaser rather than the listed "guitar synths". Or are they double-layered with the synth versions of something?
I love the sound. Possible my favourite-sounding Maiden album.

The synths are more upfront on SSOASS. Again, the guitars are really unique-sounding but not in a modulated way. I think I read they used Gallien Kruger amps on this one. Any insights on this? Another fantastic sounding album, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 01:32:31 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8343 on: May 02, 2022, 01:23:04 PM »
This popped up in my youtube feed today. Similar to the dude that played every Rush song on drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6rxldHHXiQ

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #8344 on: May 04, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »
This popped up in my youtube feed today. Similar to the dude that played every Rush song on drums.

This is pretty cool. I'm only through the NPFTD parts so far, but it's really impressive. I've been thinking lately about how important Nicko is to Maiden's sound, even though he gets less attention than probably every other member of the band.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline romdrums

« Reply #8345 on: May 10, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
Just wanted to drop in and say Senjutsu still rocks my world.  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8346 on: May 10, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »

I'm going to do a full listen-through for my list (it worked for Van Halen, and I regret not doing it for Rush) and one of the things I'm going to concentrate on is the various live versions.  I was trying to learn Hallowed Be Thy Name a while ago, and I went through some of the live versions and I feel like I might have noticed that Dave and Adrian (and now Jannick) don't always play it exactly the same way every time.  I want to confirm that.

Dave's always guilty of improvising a lot of his solos.  The Hallowed one he hasn't really played the same as teh studio since the late 80's.  Come the 90's he just blisters a fully improvised solo and still does today.  I love his renditions in the early 90's though.  Adrian was pretty true in the 80's from memory but Janick just does his thing.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #8347 on: May 11, 2022, 01:51:46 AM »

I've been thinking lately about how important Nicko is to Maiden's sound, even though he gets less attention than probably every other member of the band.

I went to see them on the last night of the Final Frontier tour, and to celebrate the last night they had Nicko do a drum solo - I had not realised what a monster of a drummer that guy is. Since then I've gone out of my way to listen to the drums, and he really is under-rated.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8348 on: May 13, 2022, 07:05:34 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8349 on: May 13, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »
I'm not clicking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8350 on: May 13, 2022, 07:07:16 PM »
A real fan is never afraid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8351 on: May 13, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »
 :rollin  He's reading the lyrics from his phone and still fucks them up.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8352 on: May 13, 2022, 07:11:41 PM »
I'm almost through it.

It's actually kind of awesome. The guy is better than Paul Stanley at this point. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8353 on: May 13, 2022, 07:12:44 PM »
I skipped through it.  His scream was pretty decent.  The guitarists were shit in the solos but their tones were really nice.  The drummer was solid.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8354 on: May 13, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
I know the words to this song but I have no idea WTF he's saying.

I love it though. :metal :lol

And Fear Of The Dark! :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyrsZZ-KfzY

and Wrathchild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FqeEPz4zvI

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8355 on: May 13, 2022, 07:17:12 PM »

He didn't know what the fuck he was saying.  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #8356 on: May 13, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »

And Fear Of The Dark! :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyrsZZ-KfzY

and Wrathchild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FqeEPz4zvI

LMAO the guitarist on the right smoking is so weird. Where do you find these? it's got like 40 views. Playing is pretty good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8357 on: May 13, 2022, 08:12:38 PM »

I feel like if he dropped his phone, the words would sound exactly the same. :lol

Where do you find these? it's got like 40 views. Playing is pretty good.

I don't know. It showed up in my feed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8358 on: May 13, 2022, 08:41:51 PM »
I feel like if he dropped his phone, the words would sound exactly the same. :lol

:rollin

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8359 on: May 14, 2022, 04:16:39 AM »
I rather enjoyed Rime. They're having such a good time! :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8360 on: May 14, 2022, 06:07:30 AM »
I rather enjoyed Rime. They're having such a good time! :biggrin:

Iron Maiden makes the world go round.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8361 on: May 18, 2022, 07:30:49 AM »
I'm almost through it.

It's actually kind of awesome. The guy is better than Paul Stanley at this point. :lol

There's no call for that.  ;) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8362 on: May 18, 2022, 07:33:36 AM »
I skipped through it.  His scream was pretty decent.  The guitarists were shit in the solos but their tones were really nice.  The drummer was solid.

The guitar player on the right annoyed me more than the singer; every time there was any sort of unison passage, he would look over with this ridiculous "WE DID IT!" look on his face. 

There's a local band my friend plays in once in a while and the singer has one of those big elementary school music stands in front of him with all the words and I mock him unmercifully.   At least this guy is using a phone sort of on the down low.   And yes, without the phone, I imagine it sounds exactly the same!  :) :) :)

Online pg1067

« Reply #8363 on: May 18, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »

:lol :lol

I'm truly perplexed by this.  Did they just put a shitload of gear onto a truck and drive into the middle of a jungle to do this?  Is all the gear being powered by a generator?  Was anyone physically present to watch this (seems like there are more people with cameras than audience members)?  Why is the singer standing on the ground in front of the stage?  Is the guy who made the sign a Texas Longhorns fan?  Why is EVERY comment so over the top effusive about how awesome this is?  I'm almost surprised they didn't try the spoken word segment.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8364 on: May 18, 2022, 03:02:47 PM »
Be Quick Or Be Dead :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D26XTpAtK9Y

And Brand New!!

Where Eagles Dare  :metal :metal :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIEtHR9NtE

And that's pretty much what my intro to it sounds like too. :lol