Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571896 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7980 on: April 06, 2022, 10:02:34 PM »
I think Senjutsu sounds pretty damn good myself, considering Shirley and all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7981 on: April 06, 2022, 10:26:04 PM »
I think Senjutsu sounds pretty damn good myself, considering Shirley and all.

So do I, sounds amazing and I am very picky about sound quality.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7982 on: April 06, 2022, 10:34:17 PM »
Some of my earliest experiences getting into bands and music in general were with 2000s Iron Maiden, so yeah – my brain takes all the information (clipping, inadvisable production practices) and just shrugs and goes "sounds so good tho".

Objectively, sure, it'd be great to have the instruments be better separated, more dynamic range and whatnot. But in general I just love it, even the worst offenders like Brave New World and Dance of Death. Just can't part with the material. But I get that the way these records sound may bother other people and that's fine.

Really, really hope they do the tour playing Senjutsu in full – that final unison riff in The Parchment is going to be unbelievable!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7983 on: April 06, 2022, 11:59:56 PM »
I like the sound on Senjutsu. No problems with it.

I thought TBOS sounded crap, on the other hand.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7984 on: April 07, 2022, 04:46:05 AM »
I like the sound on Senjutsu. No problems with it.

I thought TBOS sounded crap, on the other hand.

Yeah, I struggled a little with the sound on TBOS also.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7985 on: April 07, 2022, 06:35:09 AM »
The three most recent albums do not sound great. There are occassional moments of brilliance in terms of production, but they are often muddy and hot, which is I guess what Steve and Kevin are going for. However, for me, they absolutely nailed it on A Matter of life and death. That album is just spectacular sonically.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7986 on: April 07, 2022, 06:53:32 AM »
With so many people loving the new album (Stads lists this as his #1) I'm bummed that I can't connect with it and hear what so many do. I've truly enjoyed all the reunion albums but the new one. Wish I could remedy that with repeat listens but no matter how many times I try, it just feels boring to me...almost a chore to get through.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7987 on: April 07, 2022, 07:43:06 AM »
With so many people loving the new album (Stads lists this as his #1) I'm bummed that I can't connect with it and hear what so many do. I've truly enjoyed all the reunion albums but the new one. Wish I could remedy that with repeat listens but no matter how many times I try, it just feels boring to me...almost a chore to get through.

Hey, that's OK, we all like different things. I can't connect to AVFTTOTW, no biggie, don't stress it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7988 on: April 07, 2022, 07:54:00 AM »

Hey, that's OK, we all like different things. I can't connect to AVFTTOTW, no biggie, don't stress it.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  There's so much in the catalogue to enjoy...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7989 on: April 07, 2022, 08:12:31 AM »

Sounds like how I feel with TFF.  A lot of people here seem to love it and I rank it as easily the worst reunion album and bottom 1/4 of their overall catalog.  I love the albums before and after it.  I feel like i should love TFF... but I don't.  It is what it is assuming you've given the time to check it out. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7990 on: April 07, 2022, 08:24:23 AM »
I feel the same way about The Final Frontier.

So, in advance of Kev (;)) doing a Maiden Top 75, does anyone happen to have a full list of their studio songs by any chance? I want to get playing with the ranking engine :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline 425

« Reply #7991 on: April 07, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
And, hey, those two albums (TFF and Senjutsu) are my two favorite Maiden albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bobzor

« Reply #7992 on: April 07, 2022, 10:41:49 AM »
For me, The Book of Souls is the weakest of the reunion albums. It's still good, but there's just something with it that doesn't fully convince me. TFF has kind of grown on me, despite forgetting about it for some time after the initial release.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7993 on: April 07, 2022, 12:23:43 PM »

Tastes vary. I'm the same about TBOS but almost everyone seemed to love it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7994 on: April 07, 2022, 02:02:39 PM »

Sounds like how I feel with TFF.  A lot of people here seem to love it and I rank it as easily the worst reunion album and bottom 1/4 of their overall catalog.  I love the albums before and after it.  I feel like i should love TFF... but I don't.  It is what it is assuming you've given the time to check it out.

And... that's me with AMOLAD.  Not a bad album but for me, it's a dense, heavy listen.  I don't think I've ever digested it all in one sitting, whereas I've had DOD and TFF on repeat while painting or working around the house without problems.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7995 on: April 07, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »
see and now you're talking about my favorite IM album!  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #7996 on: April 07, 2022, 02:58:31 PM »
For me, The Book of Souls is the weakest of the reunion albums. It's still good, but there's just something with it that doesn't fully convince me. TFF has kind of grown on me, despite forgetting about it for some time after the initial release.

TBoS is perhaps my least favorite reunion album, but I like the reunion era so well that that's not really an insult. Despite having some great material, it was a bit of a let-down for me after AMOLAD and TFF. Which, incidentally, probably set me up to be even more blown away by Senjutsu.

And I think Senjutsu retroactively gave me a greater appreciation for TBoS. I think it being everything I wanted in a Maiden album made me better able to appreciate TBoS for what it is. And it made me spend more time with The Red and the Black, which I see as a precursor to a lot of what I liked on Senjutsu.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7997 on: April 07, 2022, 04:09:10 PM »
The Book of Souls is also the weakest reunion era album for me too (still good though) but it really isn't one I return to very often at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7998 on: April 07, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
I did give Somewhere in Time a whirl on the ear buds today at work, and I feel like that is definitely a top 3 album by the band. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7999 on: April 07, 2022, 05:31:47 PM »
I did give Somewhere in Time a whirl on the ear buds today at work, and I feel like that is definitely a top 3 album by the band.

Awesome Kev! Yes, it is one of my favourites too. I can still remember the day in 86 when I got the cassette on the first day of release, I was blown away by the cover and also the music. I know some have said it hasn't aged well but I disagree, I still love the album to this day. To me it is the pinnacle of Adrian and Dave's guitar playing, just some awesome guitar solos on the album.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #8000 on: April 07, 2022, 05:32:53 PM »
Somewhere in Time is definitely a top 1 album by the band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8001 on: April 07, 2022, 05:34:39 PM »
I can thank the shuffle on my phone.  The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner popped up on my drive to work this morning, which seemed better than it did before, and I liked it already, so I was like, okay, full album listen today!  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8002 on: April 07, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »

Awesome Kev! Yes, it is one of my favourites too. I can still remember the day in 86 when I got the cassette on the first day of release, I was blown away by the cover and also the music. I know some have said it hasn't aged well but I disagree, I still love the album to this day. To me it is the pinnacle of Adrian and Dave's guitar playing, just some awesome guitar solos on the album.

I was born in 84 so I didn't live through the era of listening to these albums in real time, but I always thought SIT was ill received and that it aged better. I could be wrong. 

Somewhere in Time is definitely a top 1 album by the band.

My #2, behind AMOLAD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8003 on: April 07, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
When SiT came out, I thought it sounded so fresh. I didn't really take to Powerslave and I thought SiT was their best album yet.

For me it hasn't aged well, because other than the title track, no other song really got "in me". I like them, but never really loved the others. I will say that Heaven Can Wait, which I didn't care for back then, I love now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8004 on: April 07, 2022, 06:01:41 PM »
Being a fan of this band and not loving Alexander the Great and Stranger in a Strange Land seems inconceivable to me, but what do I know? :lol :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8005 on: April 07, 2022, 06:03:36 PM »
Being a fan of this band and not loving Alexander the Great and Stranger in a Strange Land seems inconceivable to me, but what do I know? :lol :biggrin:

Well, remember, I thought it was their best album when it came out. I love Stranger In A Strange Land, but, not running a ranker, can't see it in my Top 50. And I did like AtG, but it felt like the token long song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #8006 on: April 07, 2022, 06:07:28 PM »

YES!

Well, remember, I thought it was their best album when it came out. I love Stranger In A Strange Land, but, not running a ranker, can't see it in my Top 50. And I did like AtG, but it felt like the token long song.

I do sort of agree on AtG - it's never quite been among my favorite "epics" (still very good, though). The (almost) title-track, Wasted Years and Loneliness are my top songs from SiT...but, really, it's an amazing album.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 06:31:50 PM by nick_z »

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8007 on: April 07, 2022, 07:15:48 PM »
Well, great to read all the positive SiT comments. I'm pretty sure I've read lots of comments over the years on this forum that haven't been as positive towards this album, so I think there are some 'detractors' out there.

I've always had a soft spot for Loneliness. The bridge going into the guitar solo was my favourite part of the album back in the day. Probably isn't so much now but still love it. Always loved Alexander the Great, the instrumental section along with the intro are awesome, the vocal sections probably aren't as strong overall.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #8008 on: April 07, 2022, 07:36:56 PM »
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is probably their most underrated song. Absolutely fantastic song. One of their best imo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8009 on: April 07, 2022, 07:45:06 PM »
Then I'm an underrater because it's one of my least favorite songs by the band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8010 on: April 07, 2022, 07:50:49 PM »
Well, I am still a "new" fan in the sense of knowing all of their stuff well (not counting the Blaze material, most of which needs to be banished to the Fire Swamp forever), but I think Somewhere in Time is far more consistent than an album like Piece of Mind, which seems really front loaded (great Side 1, not so great Side 2).

I do plan on revisiting Seventh Son of a Seventh Son here soon, as that has been the odd man out as far as their 80s albums go.  I have barely touched that one since running through their whole discography last fall.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #8011 on: April 07, 2022, 07:57:00 PM »
Just purchased the 2019 remaster of Seventh Son, it's the third version I have and to my surprise it sounds pretty good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8012 on: April 07, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »
Just purchased the 2019 remaster of Seventh Son, it's the third version I have and to my surprise it sounds pretty good.

I didn't even know about 2019 remasters.

Edit:  Actually I'm guessing this would just be the 2015 versions put to CD.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8013 on: April 07, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is probably their most underrated song. Absolutely fantastic song. One of their best imo.

Yep, very underrated cut.

Offline bobzor

« Reply #8014 on: April 08, 2022, 12:33:08 AM »
Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are indeed the top 2 for me and in constant fight with each other. for the top title. Gave both albums a listen the past week and here's a very rough comparison:

Opener: Caught Somewhere in Time is perhaps my all time favorite Maiden track, and so it has to win, even though Moonchild is one hell of a song.

The "Smith songs": Okay so we got Wasted Years & Stranger in a Strange Land versus Moonchild & The Evil that Men Do. I know Smith co-wrote the ones on Seventh Son but I'm just trying to compare these somehow  ;D. Anyway, here I would say that the 7th Son songs win by a small margin. But the margin is insanely small. Wasted Years is a fun song but at the same time it's a sign of things to come: Adrian Smith is growing tired of heavy metal and wants to pursue a more radio-friendly approach, and that is clearly audible here. Stranger in a Strange Land is kind of cool. The Evil That Men Do also perhaps has that semi-commercial approach but is in my mind a bit stronger than Wasted Years.

The weak songs: Here, in my opinion, the weakest songs of each album are Heaven Can Wait and Can I Play With Madness. Heaven Can Wait has it's moments (..."take my hand") but I've always disliked that chorus and so Can I Play With Madness is the winner here. I mean it's not the greatest track of all times, but surprisingly entertaining.

The "Murray songs": Okay so we got Deja Vu vs. The Prophecy. The Prophecy has GREAT and beautiful intros and outros, especially the acoustic guitar outro, oh my god. But here I would say that Deja vu is the better song, it has lots of interesting guitar work and nice harmonies. Prophecy on the other hand has a somewhat dull core, even though the beginning and ending kind of rescue it from being a bad song.

The "semi-epics": Infinite Dreams versus The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner. Didn't think of anything good here so named them "semi-epics" due to length, any other suggestions?  :D It's hard, because both are awesome, but I think Long Distance Runner has always spoken to me more, so I pick that one.

The epics: Seventh Son of a Seventh son versus Alexander the Great. This is not hard, because in my mind the 7th son title track is among the finest moments in music history. So there you go. Alexander is cool but hardly as epic, and that story telling approach with the lyrics doesn't really work for me.

What's left? Sea of Madness and The Clairvoyant I guess. Well, not really comparable, one is a Smith kind of rocker while the other one could be labeled as a semi-epic (Harris, of course). The Clairvoyant wins, but I've always liked Sea of Madness and find it a really underrated song by the band. Especially the chorus is beautiful.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Only The Good Die Young. Kind of a rarity with it's Dickinson/Harris credit, I guess? Not that many songs by only the two of them? I always liked it, it's straight forward but catchy.

Hahaha, confusing post.