Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571150 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7840 on: February 10, 2022, 03:31:51 PM »
My question was not asked in 2019 when I saw the same "spoken word tour" of his. Feel free to ask if you think it's an interesting one: "What would have made you stay in Maiden in 1994?"

That's a very interesting one!

But I assume that the "real" question should be "what wouldn't have made you want to leave", since I believe that nothing could have made him change his mind once he decided to go.

Yeah, I think this is a good question but only if there's an actual answer.  It kind of seems like "nothing" is the answer, but if he has some sort of insight that he could share, that would make the question very interesting.  I'm just not sure that's the case here.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7841 on: February 10, 2022, 05:40:24 PM »
 The "official" version, or as official as we're ever going to get, is that he left because he didn't agree with Steve taking over the production, and wanted to explore different types of music. Maybe if Steve conceded and the whole decision making process in Maiden was a little more democratic, he would have reconsidered?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7842 on: February 10, 2022, 05:41:17 PM »
The "official" version, or as official as we're ever going to get, is that he left because he didn't agree with Steve taking over the production, and wanted to explore different types of music. Maybe if Steve conceded and the whole decision making process in Maiden was a little more democratic, he would have reconsidered?

Huh. I've never heard that before.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7843 on: February 10, 2022, 05:46:14 PM »
Bruce is one of my favorite artists period, his solo catalog and Maiden releases remain constants and form a good portion of the most cherished of my LP CD and reading collection.

But I have to say with utmost respect while I enjoyed his book I also found it frustratingly lacking in regard to the writing and creating of some of metals finest material, both in and out of Maiden.  You know, I wanted more about the songs backgrounds and the gritty behind the scenes details of their formations and whatnot.

Sure there was some of that and what was in the book was great.  Certainly not suggesting the travel and experiences that were shared not remain, guess what I'm saying is wish the book was twice as long and the additional material be more about the music!

So am on board regards the suggested questions above yes please ;)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7844 on: February 10, 2022, 06:54:30 PM »
Bruce is one of my favorite artists period, his solo catalog and Maiden releases remain constants and form a good portion of the most cherished of my LP CD and reading collection.

But I have to say with utmost respect while I enjoyed his book I also found it frustratingly lacking in regard to the writing and creating of some of metals finest material, both in and out of Maiden.  You know, I wanted more about the songs backgrounds and the gritty behind the scenes details of their formations and whatnot.

Sure there was some of that and what was in the book was great.  Certainly not suggesting the travel and experiences that were shared not remain, guess what I'm saying is wish the book was twice as long and the additional material be more about the music!

So am on board regards the suggested questions above yes please ;)

There's one particular chapter where he goes on and on about planes, and that's an absolute bore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7845 on: February 10, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »
The whole book was a bore.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7846 on: February 11, 2022, 02:11:44 AM »

Huh. I've never heard that before.

In the book he also says that he read whatever inspirational quote about leaps into the unknown (don't remember which one at the moment), and that made him realize that as long as he was in Iron Maiden, he had that cushion, that parachute, something to fall back on, and if he wanted to be taken seriously, he had to leave Maiden, a "burn your bridges, don't leave a plan B open" kind of situation to push himself.

He did want to do other stuff, and definitively wasn't happy with Maiden's then recent outputs (when he came back, after all, he insisted for an external producer and a good studio), but he realized that doing side stuff while still being Maiden's singer wasn't challenging enough and so he felt he had to go.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7847 on: February 11, 2022, 02:27:16 AM »

Wasn't it? Celebrity autobiographies used to give a real insight into the subject's life and personality, these days they just seem to be full of filler. Reminiscing about those amusingly funny shenanigans with the road crew are hilarious if you were there, but boring as hell if you weren't, like listening to someone telling you what they got up to at a drunken party you weren't invited to. And no one reading this cares about fencing or aviation.
An autobiography should peel back the public-facing mask these celebrities wear and show us the person beneath. They should read like they've invited you round to dinner at their house, and not just a collection of trite anecdotes they've churned out in media interviews over the years, all carefully vetted by their PR team. I understand they value their private lives, but if they're not going to tell us anything about themselves, then why bother writing the book? Oh yes, money.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #7848 on: February 11, 2022, 03:24:34 AM »
I for one thoroughly enjoyed his book.

Sure, there are aspects of his life where he could have gone deeper, but all in all it was very entertaining. And I got no problem with him telling about aviation and fencing, because that's a big part of his life and therefore should be in any biography about him.

And from the book you got the impression that he's easily bored with routine and therefore is constantly trying/doing new things. That was one aspect for him leaving Maiden and that is why he's done so many things in his life.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7849 on: February 11, 2022, 06:15:59 AM »
The ONE time he seemed to show some real... not emotion, because he was very animated the whole time, but some "connection" was when asked about the William Blake influence on him.  He was absolutely sincere when he said that Blake was a profound influence.  It seemed very genuine (if not a revelation, given "Chemical Wedding").

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #7850 on: February 11, 2022, 06:19:55 AM »

Respectfully disagree. Borrowed a copy from a library at one stage and finished it in 2 weeks. Was the first book I read after a Corneal Transplant surgery, so definitely holds a special place with me.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online Mladen

« Reply #7851 on: February 11, 2022, 07:46:52 AM »
The ONE time he seemed to show some real... not emotion, because he was very animated the whole time, but some "connection" was when asked about the William Blake influence on him.  He was absolutely sincere when he said that Blake was a profound influence.  It seemed very genuine (if not a revelation, given "Chemical Wedding").
If I get a chance to attend the show at some point, I would love to ask him about Peter Hammill's influence on his work. We know that there are VdGG references in his lyrics, but I'd like to hear more about it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7852 on: February 11, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »

And no one reading this cares about fencing or aviation.

Eh?

While I'm interested in aviation, I know nothing about fencing but still found it interesting enough. It's part of Bruce's life. Why wouldn't it be in his biography?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7853 on: February 11, 2022, 08:40:08 AM »

Wasn't it? Celebrity autobiographies used to give a real insight into the subject's life and personality, these days they just seem to be full of filler. Reminiscing about those amusingly funny shenanigans with the road crew are hilarious if you were there, but boring as hell if you weren't, like listening to someone telling you what they got up to at a drunken party you weren't invited to. And no one reading this cares about fencing or aviation.
An autobiography should peel back the public-facing mask these celebrities wear and show us the person beneath. They should read like they've invited you round to dinner at their house, and not just a collection of trite anecdotes they've churned out in media interviews over the years, all carefully vetted by their PR team. I understand they value their private lives, but if they're not going to tell us anything about themselves, then why bother writing the book? Oh yes, money.

Rob Halford's book was amazing.  He got incredibly personal and it was so fun to read about how he balanced his personal life and sexuality with his career in Judas Priest.  It's the only biography I've read that was a true page-turner, where you couldn't put it down and had to find out what he said in the next chapter.

Bruce's show in Chicago is tonight and initially I wanted to go, but decided that it wouldn't be as exciting as I thought it would be in my head. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7854 on: February 11, 2022, 09:32:37 AM »
I WOULD go again. It was entertaining.  I just wouldn't expect anything life-changing, or anything that blows the lid off his current gig.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7855 on: February 11, 2022, 01:28:22 PM »
Yeah Halford's book was amazing, it went right through all the emotions, I was laughing and almost in tears while reading.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7856 on: February 11, 2022, 06:18:57 PM »
K seems I wasn't alone then.

I didn't actually mind what was in the book and found it interesting enough, I mean after all it's his story to tell however he wants to tell it.  But he's primarily known for fronting the biggest band in the world and that's what I needed to read more about.  I expected he might dig back into his records and songs a lot more!?

Thanks for the comments regards Halford's book too hadn't read it ajd off to order now 🤘

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7857 on: February 11, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »
The thing that I liked about Halford's book, that I didn't about Bruce's book...well two things actually. Rob has some humility about him, whereas Bruce couldn't be more proud of himself for every pun in the book.

And with Rob's, you got some band history included. If you wanted to learn something about Iron maiden, you weren't getting it in Bruce's book.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7858 on: February 12, 2022, 09:30:25 AM »
Bruce's book was a 2/5 for me. It would be great if Maiden would drop the defensiveness and let the fans in a bit more.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7859 on: February 12, 2022, 08:49:32 PM »
The thing that I liked about Halford's book, that I didn't about Bruce's book...well two things actually. Rob has some humility about him, whereas Bruce couldn't be more proud of himself for every pun in the book.

And with Rob's, you got some band history included. If you wanted to learn something about Iron maiden, you weren't getting it in Bruce's book.

I love them both, but Halford calls himself the 'metal god' and TTBOMK has never sung a JP Ripper era song live.
While Bruce has sung some of the Blaze songs.
They both have ego's, we all do, but as singers for world famous bands I am sure there's are large :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7860 on: February 12, 2022, 08:54:04 PM »
Well, I am guessing that has more to do with none of the Ripper-era songs being that good, or at least not good enough to stand next to the tried and true Priest classics in a set list.

At least Maiden busted out a few good songs on the two albums with Blaze, even if took Bruce singing them to sound worth a damn.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7861 on: February 12, 2022, 08:57:04 PM »
Yeah could be or that Halford flat out refuses to sing them, or maybe it's just never come up.
BTW I am a huge Halford fan not just JP, but I have the Halford box set of his 'solo' Two and Fight works.
While I only like Bruce with IM, none of his 'solo' stuff has ever clicked for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7862 on: February 12, 2022, 09:04:02 PM »
I know Lightning Strike is getting played on the anniversary tour, but have any other songs from the four albums since Halford rejoined been played on multiple tours?  Feels like most of those songs (the ones that actually got played) got the one and done treatment in the live sets, and thus there is no reason to revisit anything from the Ripper albums. They know that the run up to Painkiller is their bread and butter, and I suspect the number of fans at the average Priest concert in 2022 who wants to hear them playing anything from Jugulator or Demolition is pretty tiny.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7863 on: February 12, 2022, 09:15:06 PM »
Well, I am guessing that has more to do with none of the Ripper-era songs being that good, or at least not good enough to stand next to the tried and true Priest classics in a set list.

At least Maiden busted out a few good songs on the two albums with Blaze, even if took Bruce singing them to sound worth a damn.

I’m sorry but there are a handful of songs from Jugulator that I would put up against anything in the JP catalog, and Cathedral Spires in particular is often held up by Priest fans as being a highlight. And you couldn’t even pull that one out for the Epitaph tour? For shame.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7864 on: February 13, 2022, 03:10:25 AM »
Many know my views on Jugulator around here but Rob couldn't sing anything from that album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7865 on: February 13, 2022, 09:10:37 AM »
Yeah could be or that Halford flat out refuses to sing them, or maybe it's just never come up.
BTW I am a huge Halford fan not just JP, but I have the Halford box set of his 'solo' Two and Fight works.
While I only like Bruce with IM, none of his 'solo' stuff has ever clicked for me.

Well that's a shame.  Bruce's Chemical Wedding is up there with the best of IM IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7866 on: February 13, 2022, 02:48:04 PM »

Well that's a shame.  Bruce's Chemical Wedding is up there with the best of IM IMO.

Came in at number 1 in my top 50 years ago.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7867 on: February 13, 2022, 04:58:30 PM »

Chemical Wedding and Accident Of Birth are essential in any metal collection IMO and Tyranny Of Souls wasn't too shabby either!🤘

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7868 on: February 14, 2022, 12:35:39 AM »

Chemical Wedding and Accident Of Birth are essential in any metal collection IMO and Tyranny Of Souls wasn't too shabby either!🤘

Absolutely.  :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #7869 on: February 14, 2022, 01:32:09 AM »
All of Bruce's solo records are worth a listen with Tattooed Millionaire probably the weakest (but still some great tracks) and Chemical Wedding up there with Maiden's best.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7870 on: February 14, 2022, 01:49:40 AM »
Knowing am in the minority buy gotta shout love for Bruce's Skunkworks too.  Sure it was a departure sure it wasn't Accident or Chemical and sure it wasn't a classic but sure as hell still love it! 

Solar Confinement, 'nuff said! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7871 on: February 14, 2022, 04:14:26 AM »
Knowing am in the minority buy gotta shout love for Bruce's Skunkworks too.  Sure it was a departure sure it wasn't Accident or Chemical and sure it wasn't a classic but sure as hell still love it! 

Solar Confinement, 'nuff said! :metal

3rd best Bruce album after CW and AOB.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #7872 on: February 14, 2022, 05:15:39 AM »
I would put Skunkworks at 2nd place after CW most days.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7873 on: February 14, 2022, 05:41:38 AM »

And no one reading this cares about fencing or aviation.

Eh?

While I'm interested in aviation, I know nothing about fencing but still found it interesting enough. It's part of Bruce's life. Why wouldn't it be in his biography?

All of his aviation anecdotes boiled down to:

1. Was in a plane [insert technical details here],
2. Thought disaster was about to strike,
3. Disaster was narrowly averted.

Any pilot would have hundreds of these stories, they're just not that interesting to non-pilots. A cat ran out in front of my car the other day. I thought I was going to hit it. I slammed on the brakes, the cat was fine, disaster narrowly averted! Who cares?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7874 on: February 14, 2022, 07:03:53 AM »

I love them both, but Halford calls himself the 'metal god' and TTBOMK has never sung a JP Ripper era song live.
While Bruce has sung some of the Blaze songs.
They both have ego's, we all do, but as singers for world famous bands I am sure there's are large :)

That was always the thing about Bruce that I liked; for all his ego, for all his bluster, he'll sing anything.  He sings songs from all eras.   While I think it was probably a joke, or at least a message, even Robert Plant did a Coverdale/Page song when I saw Page/Plant in '95.   

I never quite understood that mentality that Hagar, Gillan, Halford, some others have.  I know lyrics are personal, but it's not like none of those guys have never sung a cover before.

By the way:  BIG fan of Skunkworks.  For a while it was my favorite Bruce record (now it might be Balls To Picasso).