Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 568775 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7770 on: January 17, 2022, 02:26:03 PM »
This isn't unprecedented; Dream Theater toured The Astonishing and I think they did one or two songs for the encore.  Not unreasonable that Maiden is familiar with this.   Neal Morse toured both The Similitude and The Great Adventure and played one or two songs for the encore.  Via Portnoy and Nicko (or maybe Bruce), it's not unreasonable that Maiden is familiar with this.   

It would run afoul of the way Harris has done business over the years, but he's apparently relinquished a fair amount of the decision-making on this to Bruce, and maybe this is Bruce's way of pushing the envelope a bit.

I'd be all OVER a Senjutsu tour, the album in it's entirety, with an encore of some combo of FOTD, Iron Maiden, Run To The Hills or The Number Of The Beast. 

Imagine how awesome the set closer of the second disk would be live.   I've got chills just thinking about it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7771 on: January 17, 2022, 03:45:32 PM »
I'm wondering if the Senjutsu tour for the full album will be an Ed Force One tour with limited dates globally.  I feel the draw for the full album live is kind of limited.  I would love to see it, and I know lots here would as well, but considering how poorly the AMOLAD tour was received in the US, I could see the band using this as an opportunity for a smaller tour but hitting different markets to make it worthy similar to the first leg of the Book of Souls tour.  Would make for a perfect follow up to the Flight 666 documentary too if they wanted to go that route with making a video out of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7772 on: January 17, 2022, 05:55:33 PM »
This isn't unprecedented; Dream Theater toured The Astonishing and I think they did one or two songs for the encore.  Not unreasonable that Maiden is familiar with this.   Neal Morse toured both The Similitude and The Great Adventure and played one or two songs for the encore.  Via Portnoy and Nicko (or maybe Bruce), it's not unreasonable that Maiden is familiar with this.   

It would run afoul of the way Harris has done business over the years, but he's apparently relinquished a fair amount of the decision-making on this to Bruce, and maybe this is Bruce's way of pushing the envelope a bit.

I'd be all OVER a Senjutsu tour, the album in it's entirety, with an encore of some combo of FOTD, Iron Maiden, Run To The Hills or The Number Of The Beast. 

Imagine how awesome the set closer of the second disk would be live.   I've got chills just thinking about it.

I just smileed in my pants.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7773 on: January 17, 2022, 06:20:36 PM »
I heavily back that Sea of Madness shout.

Me too - Somewhere in Time has been sadly underrepresented in this century's Maiden setlists. Always happy to hear Wasted Years, don't really need more Heaven Can Wait (although it's a fun song), and I'd LOVE it if they dusted off Caught Somewhere in Time, Sea of Madness and Loneliness...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7774 on: January 17, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »
I heavily back that Sea of Madness shout.

Me too - Somewhere in Time has been sadly underrepresented in this century's Maiden setlists. Always happy to hear Wasted Years, don't really need more Heaven Can Wait (although it's a fun song), and I'd LOVE it if they dusted off Caught Somewhere in Time, Sea of Madness and Loneliness...

Yep, completely agree with this whole statement.  Stranger too would be very refreshing in the set these days.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #7775 on: January 18, 2022, 12:23:12 AM »

:metal :tup

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7776 on: January 18, 2022, 02:42:41 AM »
I'm never a fan of bands playing an entire album, I just think that it sounds good on paper, but never works in the flesh. I love Senjutsu, and I'd love to hear all of those songs played live. But all together, in one go, in that order? I'd go see it, sure, but I'd expect to leave slightly disappointed.

Everything I've seen, from Roger Waters doing The Wall to Dream Theater doing The Astonishing, I've felt was really good, but could have done with being messed around with a few other songs in there.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7777 on: January 18, 2022, 11:37:13 AM »
I'm never a fan of bands playing an entire album, I just think that it sounds good on paper, but never works in the flesh. I love Senjutsu, and I'd love to hear all of those songs played live. But all together, in one go, in that order? I'd go see it, sure, but I'd expect to leave slightly disappointed.

Everything I've seen, from Roger Waters doing The Wall to Dream Theater doing The Astonishing, I've felt was really good, but could have done with being messed around with a few other songs in there.

It worked quite well when Rush did it with Moving Pictures (less so with Clockwork Angels, but having the string section helped).  Of course Senjutsu is more than twice as long than Moving Pictures.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7778 on: January 18, 2022, 11:51:56 AM »
I've seen Roger Waters performing The Wall in full - absolutely amazing both visually and musically.
At the opposite end seeing Symphony X playing all of the Underworld album was a massive let down.
Their first ever AU tour, and most of us were expecting a 'best of/greatest hits' set list.
Instead we got the entire Underworld album, a Led Zep cover (very bizarre) and a couple of older songs.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7779 on: January 18, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »

Yes, I agree with this. It makes the majority of the set list very predictable and takes away that anticipation of what song may be coming next. Also when you have listened to an album many times in order, it just seems to lose something when you hear the same thing in the same order live.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7780 on: January 18, 2022, 02:24:13 PM »
I've seen it go both ways. I've seen both Roger and Gilmour's Floyd play DSotM and they were both excellent. Priest playing British Steel was good, despite being a generally awful album. Moving Pictures was great. At the other end of the spectrum one of the most boring shows I've seen was Boston subjecting us all to Third Stage at the Texxas Jam, standing around like a bunch of statues. I think part of the appeal is that you get to see cool songs that aren't typically played live. Any Colour You Like, Rapid Fire, and Camera Eye are fine examples. If the album sucks then you get saddled with Amanda.

Off the top of my head:

Third Stage
Mindcrimes I&2 x2 and x1
Moving Pictures x2
Clockwork Angels
British Steel
Astonishing x3
Metropolis Pt. 2
I&W
The Yes Album x2
Fragile
Close to the Edge 2
Going for the One
The Wall x2
DSotM x3

There are probably more that I'm forgetting. That said, most of those were pretty cool. Only a couple I didn't really care for. It certainly depends on whether or not you like the album, but also how they're doing it. Most of those were either multiple albums, or an album and a bunch of other stuff. The Wall and Astonishing were both letdowns simply because you really were only hearing 1 thing. Maiden would simply be Senjitsu plus two staples, and I don't think I'd care for it all that much.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:40:09 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7781 on: January 18, 2022, 02:59:29 PM »
I think part of the appeal is that you get to see cool songs that aren't typically played live.

I think for a lot of the hardcore fans, it comes down to this.

It seems fairly certain IM will never play Lord of Light again, but I got to see it and remember enjoying it.  I think that's fairly cool even if the song is not something I would be requesting to see live at an Iron Maiden concert.

But I also think you are right that it comes down to the album and the presentation of it.  I thought the presentation of TA was actually pretty cool, just that the show itself was kind of dull.  It didn't make for the greatest concert in the end.  But I&W was fantastic IMO, and it had none of the cool presentation aspects like TA had, but it's just such a good album that it didn't matter.

When the Offspring performed the entire Smash album, I mostly thought it was cool but didn't like how they changed it so the hit song was played at the end, not middle, of the album.  It just didn't make sense since they played another 5 or so hit songs after the full album, the could have kept the song in place and it would have worked out better IMO.

Epica skipped one song on their 10th anniversary tour of  Design Your Universe.  Seemed really odd to leave 1 song out, at that point, might as well not make it a point to play just about the entire thing, and I say this as someone who thinks that song is the worst on the album too.  It just feels odd if you are going to skip a track. 

My point being, there's lots of good and bad ways of doing this.  If IM truly do all of Senjutsu, I think Bruce is going to need to work some theatricals into the show as those songs will not keep the average IM engaged just like it didn't during the AMOLAD tour. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7782 on: January 18, 2022, 02:59:39 PM »
The whole Senjutsu thing is so far off. I can't see it happening until next year anyway. Bruce already said this upcoming tour is a Legacy tour because that's what it was marketed as and the tickets sold for. I just can't see them swinging through again this year.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7783 on: January 18, 2022, 03:22:39 PM »
Mindcrimes I&2 x2 and x1
Metropolis Pt. 2
The Yes Album x2
Close to the Edge 2
Going for the One

Yeah...these were all good (and the three Yes albums were all in the same show).  I saw the original Mindcrime in full once and without Suite Sister Mary once.  Both were amazing (never seen II).  I'd also add Images & Words to the list.  They played it in full (although not in order) at the first four DT shows I saw (although, to be fair, they only had two albums at that point) and on the I&W&B tour.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7784 on: January 18, 2022, 03:47:43 PM »
Mindcrimes I&2 x2 and x1
Metropolis Pt. 2
The Yes Album x2
Close to the Edge 2
Going for the One

Yeah...these were all good (and the three Yes albums were all in the same show).  I saw the original Mindcrime in full once and without Suite Sister Mary once.  Both were amazing (never seen II).  I'd also add Images & Words to the list.  They played it in full (although not in order) at the first four DT shows I saw (although, to be fair, they only had two albums at that point) and on the I&W&B tour.
I caught the I&W thing and added it to my list after seeing Cram mention it (interestingly, he and I were at the same show). That worked fine, but I thought it was a better show for the other material. As for Mindcrime, I believe the presentation you're referring to was technically on the Rage tour, which I sadly blew off. I'll add that to my [thankfully] short list of concert regrets. I didn't like Rage at the time, but it's now my favorite by far, and the Mindcrime thing was legendary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7785 on: January 18, 2022, 03:51:42 PM »
As for Mindcrime, I believe the presentation you're referring to was technically on the Rage tour, which I sadly blew off. I'll add that to my [thankfully] short list of concert regrets. I didn't like Rage at the time, but it's now my favorite by far, and the Mindcrime thing was legendary.

It was the Empire tour... :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7786 on: January 18, 2022, 04:50:34 PM »
I caught the I&W thing and added it to my list after seeing Cram mention it (interestingly, he and I were at the same show). That worked fine, but I thought it was a better show for the other material.

The first set was OK.  TDEN was a great way to start a show, and TBP and Hell's Kitchen were both cool.  I've never cared for TLF (going back to when they used to play it on the I&W tour), and DLPM was, at best, mediocre.  AIA and BAI are excellent but also frequently played, so nothing special.  What really made that show special for me was a complete version of LTL and a full version of ACOS.

As for Mindcrime, I believe the presentation you're referring to was technically on the Rage tour, which I sadly blew off. I'll add that to my [thankfully] short list of concert regrets. I didn't like Rage at the time, but it's now my favorite by far, and the Mindcrime thing was legendary.

Nope.  The Rage tour ran from late July 1986 through February 1987.  It looks like they played some headlining dates later in the tour, but I saw them open for AC/DC.  The set list was six songs from Rage (including opening with an AMAZING version of Neue Regel) plus Deliverance, QOTR and Take Hold.

On the Mindcrime tour, I saw them open twice for Metallica in December 1988.  They probably played 40% of OM (along with QOTR and Take Hold).  They came back in May 1989 (with Warrant opening) and played all of OM, except for SSM.  Absolutely mind-blowing set list.  They finally did all of OM when they toured in support of Empire between October 1990 and January 1992.  Three of the shows on that tour (May 1991) were used for the Operation: Livecrime album/video.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7787 on: January 18, 2022, 05:37:39 PM »
The Ozzy/Metallica show in Providence which was postponed was moved to September of 1986, but with Queensryche opening. I sold my tickets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #7788 on: January 18, 2022, 06:10:07 PM »
I am ALL IN for the 2023 Senjutso show! F*** the standards! I love seeing new and unplayed previously songs at EVERY SHOW I attend.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7789 on: January 18, 2022, 06:15:18 PM »
If I had my druthers, I really wouldn't want Senjutsu played in its entirety. I really love only 5 songs off the album and the rest range from ok to good.

I know when the title track is played, that's a piss break for sure. Maybe sneak in a #2 while I'm at it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7790 on: January 18, 2022, 06:34:01 PM »
If I had my druthers, I really wouldn't want Senjutsu played in its entirety. I really love only 5 songs off the album and the rest range from ok to good.

I know when the title track is played, that's a piss break for sure. Maybe sneak in a #2 while I'm at it.

I love the album, but I'd be more than happy if they only played the second CD plus Lost World.  The rest I wouldn't be mad about not seeing them play live.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7791 on: January 18, 2022, 06:37:57 PM »

I love the album, but I'd be more than happy if they only played the second CD plus Lost World.  The rest I wouldn't be mad about not seeing them play live.

Give me:

Stratego
Lost In A Lost World
Darkest Hour
The Parchment
Hell On Earth

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7792 on: January 18, 2022, 07:18:39 PM »
Stratego over Celts......hmm....can't buy into that.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7793 on: January 18, 2022, 07:25:57 PM »
I personally would take The Writing on the Wall and The Time Machine over Stratego...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7794 on: January 18, 2022, 07:39:21 PM »
I like Stratego, what can I say. It's been a welcomed addition to my Five Minutes To Midnight playlist.

I don't think Death Of The Celts is a great tune. It's fine, but not in the elite league of The Parchment and Hell On Earth.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7795 on: January 18, 2022, 07:44:42 PM »
The Ozzy/Metallica show in Providence which was postponed was moved to September of 1986, but with Queensryche opening. I sold my tickets.

Why?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7796 on: January 18, 2022, 07:46:49 PM »

Why?

Cause he was only 4 years old and his parents told him he couldn't go.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7797 on: January 18, 2022, 07:50:33 PM »

Why?

Cause he was only 4 years old and his parents told him he couldn't go.

:lol :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7798 on: January 18, 2022, 07:55:24 PM »

Why?

In hindsight, I really regret it. But I thought and still think The Ultimate Sin blows, and I was not into Rage For Order in the least when it came out. I had just started college and decided to sell the tix.

I originally bought tix for the show to see Metallica anyway.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7799 on: January 18, 2022, 08:02:25 PM »

Why?

In hindsight, I really regret it. But I thought and still think The Ultimate Sin blows, and I was not into Rage For Order in the least when it came out. I had just started college and decided to sell the tix.

I originally bought tix for the show to see Metallica anyway.

Never is still one of my favorite Ozzy tunes. I like the album as a whole except for the "nuke ya nuke ya" in thank god for the bomb.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7800 on: January 18, 2022, 09:48:01 PM »
Here's a ridiculous idea: what if they loaded the set with non-Senjutsu songs before and after the main event? It's absolutely an impossible pipe dream, but hear me out:

1. Alexander the Great (live debut) (duh)
2. Prodigal Son (live debut)
3-12. Senjutsu
-Encore-
13. Montsegur (live debut)
14. Iron Maiden (just because)

I don't know if this'd please ALL of the die hards, but it'd definitely make me pretty happy  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7801 on: January 19, 2022, 01:09:01 AM »

Yeah, but be reasonable: Stratego is a "single" and one of the shorter and catchiest tracks, of course it's gonna be played.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7802 on: January 19, 2022, 01:27:01 AM »
Here's a ridiculous idea: what if they loaded the set with non-Senjutsu songs before and after the main event? It's absolutely an impossible pipe dream, but hear me out:

1. Alexander the Great (live debut) (duh)
2. Prodigal Son (live debut)
3-12. Senjutsu
-Encore-
13. Montsegur (live debut)

I actually think that Montsegur would go over well live, so good call!  If I had to choose a song from DoD though, it would have to be Paschendale, just because it's so darn metal and epic..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7803 on: January 19, 2022, 03:49:38 AM »

Yeah, but be reasonable: Stratego is a "single" and one of the shorter and catchiest tracks, of course it's gonna be played.

Oh yeah of course, I was merely thinking which song I'd prefer.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7804 on: January 19, 2022, 10:05:14 AM »
Montsegur is an amazing song, but I doubt that it can be sung in a live environment… besides the solo, the vocals literally don’t rest a single second!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)