Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571030 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7735 on: January 06, 2022, 02:15:28 PM »
Wolfie, are you sticking by your assessment from a bunch of pages back about who plays what solo?  I want to go back, maybe this weekend, and relisten to the album with that in front of me to hear each solo.   I used to laugh when Priest would put "who played what solo" on the album jackets; I honestly could have cared less, and thought it was typical Priest nonsense.

I know we're in the middle of a love-fest here over this album, but I can't remember a Maiden record where almost every solo has at one time or another jumped out at me like this.  I'm Team Murray, but even the obvious Janick solos seem to make my head turn.   Can't WAIT for this material live.

Yeah mate, lock them in.  I'll go back tonight though and make sure but I don't think there was anything obvious I missed or got wrong.

Dave has some of his most creative work since BNW mainly that wonderful Parchment solo, Janick really impressed me here, especially that song again and Adrian has his best work since Chemical Wedding IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7736 on: January 07, 2022, 06:02:47 AM »
Bruce will be working on a new solo album later this year.

https://loudwire.com/bruce-dickinson-work-on-solo-album-2022/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7737 on: January 07, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7738 on: January 07, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath. He's been working on it for almost ten years.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7739 on: January 07, 2022, 01:49:10 PM »
I'll believe it when I have the cd in my hands.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7740 on: January 09, 2022, 03:24:14 PM »
We kind of got half an album already and it went something like this...

If Eternity Should Fail
Speed Of Light
Writing On The Wall
Days Of Future Past
Darkest Hour
Empire Of The Clouds

But seriously yeah, keen as for another Bruce release particularly if he's teaming with Roy Z again but who knows right!?  ;)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7741 on: January 10, 2022, 12:15:57 AM »
Fingers crossed!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7742 on: January 11, 2022, 05:17:59 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath. He's been working on it for almost ten years.  :lol

I saw his show at the beginning of 2019 and he said that a new album would  be coming, "not soon, but it's in the works" or something like that..... so yeah, count me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" group  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7743 on: January 15, 2022, 03:39:55 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bruce-dickinson-says-iron-maiden-will-perform-entire-senjutsu-album-on-future-tour/

Now there's a show not to be missed! Glad he's able to confidently confirm that this is what they plan to do. The album definitely warrants this treatment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7744 on: January 15, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »
Oh wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7745 on: January 15, 2022, 04:52:00 PM »
Oh wow!

But I heard the singer from MAULE will be doing the tour.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7746 on: January 15, 2022, 04:58:36 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bruce-dickinson-says-iron-maiden-will-perform-entire-senjutsu-album-on-future-tour/

Now there's a show not to be missed! Glad he's able to confidently confirm that this is what they plan to do. The album definitely warrants this treatment.
My first thought was "pass." If they do what Bruce is suggesting, a normal tour and then a smaller venue tour to play the new album I'd be real cool with it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7747 on: January 15, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »
Oh wow!

But I heard the singer from MAULE will be doing the tour.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7748 on: January 15, 2022, 05:53:06 PM »

I would give almost anything to see this.  Devastating that I'm not going too.  I hope there's a proper DVD of it at least.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7749 on: January 15, 2022, 05:54:07 PM »

I would give almost anything to see this.  Devastating that I'm not going too.  I hope there's a proper DVD of it at least.

NOT edited by Steve Harris.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7750 on: January 15, 2022, 05:55:07 PM »
 :lol okay, fair.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7751 on: January 16, 2022, 01:42:33 AM »
V unusually for a Maiden fan, I've never been blown away by them live, but always had a good night out. I suspect it's more to do with my lack of enthusiasm for bigger venues.

I'd totally go for a full Senjutsu in a smaller venue, though. I wonder what venues they'd be...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #7752 on: January 16, 2022, 07:33:55 AM »
Might be seeing Maiden for the very first time this year and I'm excited. Better late than never.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7753 on: January 16, 2022, 07:48:36 AM »

Cool, I love when bands show this conviction about the new material! And I think it's really right to announce it clearly for those that will buy the tickets, like DT did with the TA's tour. It's a kind of show that it's not for every fan of the band.
So, Maiden should go deeper in that and complete the rest of the show with only more obscure tracks of their catalogue!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7754 on: January 16, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
Ah, if only!

Something like:

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
22 Acacia Avenue
Iron Maiden (this has to stay forever and ever)
===========
Alexander the Great (happy you whiners?)
Rainmaker
Only the Good Die Young
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7755 on: January 16, 2022, 10:03:31 AM »
Here's a set list that I would personally like to see, but I don't think it's unprobable either.

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
Fear of the dark
Iron Maiden
---
The Wicker man
Rainmaker
Coming home

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7756 on: January 16, 2022, 12:29:03 PM »
Interesting that probably, after playing Senjutsu, Maiden will play FOTD, 666, Iron Maiden etc to a part of its fan base that most dislikes them repeating those songs in every show. :facepalm:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7757 on: January 16, 2022, 01:09:18 PM »
Ah, if only!

Something like:

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
22 Acacia Avenue
===========
Rainmaker
Only the Good Die Young

Some nice deep cuts there.

Personally, would love to see Judas Be My Guide.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7758 on: January 16, 2022, 01:18:57 PM »
Ah, if only!

Something like:

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
22 Acacia Avenue
===========
Rainmaker
Only the Good Die Young

Now I hope they play Deep Cuts The Knife by Helix.  :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #7759 on: January 16, 2022, 03:08:30 PM »
Ah, if only!

Something like:

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
22 Acacia Avenue
===========
Rainmaker
Only the Good Die Young

Had to listen Judas Be My Guide after seeing this, since I have not heard it in years! What a song! :metal

In the realm of IM deep cuts, that I'd like to see them play live include:

Sea of Madness
The Mercenary
Rainmaker
Face in The Sand
Infinite Dreams
Killers

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7760 on: January 17, 2022, 02:15:46 AM »
Some great calls with Judas My Guide (IMO the best cut on FOTD) Infinite Dreams and Only The Good Die Young!

If rounding it to 5 I'd add Revelations and Sun And Steel \m/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:31:31 AM by WardySI »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7761 on: January 17, 2022, 03:32:57 AM »
I heavily back that Sea of Madness shout.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7762 on: January 17, 2022, 05:17:58 AM »
Here's a set list that I would personally like to see, but I don't think it's unprobable either.

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
Fear of the dark
Iron Maiden
---
The Wicker man
Rainmaker
Coming home

I'd switch the encore order; starting with Coming Home after some speech, and then ending with The Wicker Man, a fast energetic song with people chanting Oh oh oh ho ho ho at the end is not a bad way to end a show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7763 on: January 17, 2022, 08:14:41 AM »

I will be first in line for that one.  I love this album.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #7764 on: January 17, 2022, 08:21:01 AM »
Turns out we already have tickets for one of the shows. I'll have to warm up to this album  :lol :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7765 on: January 17, 2022, 08:32:31 AM »
Wait, though; this isn't for the fall shows, is it?  I thought the new shows added in the fall were still part of the Legacy Of The Beast tour.

EDIT:  Yeah; he says in the article they might do the first three tracks from the new album - Senjutsi, Stratego, Writing On The Wall - on this tour to open the show (but that means that the Spitfire appearance will have to be adjusted, no?)

Offline Melphina

« Reply #7766 on: January 17, 2022, 08:58:33 AM »
D'oh. Where's my coffee... :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7767 on: January 17, 2022, 09:23:24 AM »

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
Fear of the dark
Iron Maiden
---
The Wicker man
Rainmaker
Coming home
Actually it is unprobable, given how Maiden's shows are only about 100 minutes long. Senjutsu itself is 82 mins, FotD is at least 7.5 mins (going by recent live versions) and IM is at least 5 mins (again going by recent live versions). Round up the album to about 85 mins with gaps in-between songs for Bruce to speak and you've got room for maybe one other track - and that's if they're willing to push past the 100 minute mark. If so, they'd probably do Number of the Beast and call it a night.

If there's one thing that I hate about Maiden live, it's that about 1/3 of their show is the same overplayed tracks they do at every show and I doubt that's gonna change for the Senjutsu tour, although I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

On the wishful thinking line of thought, I agree that Sea of Madness would be an awesome obscure track to resurrect, as would To Tame a Land and Flash of the Blade or The Duellists (both underrated tracks, IMO that I know never were played live). And of course Alexander the Great, too. But given the direction they've continued to go in, I'd especially love to see them add Prodigal Son to the setlist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7768 on: January 17, 2022, 11:54:08 AM »

FULL SENJUTSU ALBUM
Fear of the dark
Iron Maiden
---
The Wicker man
Rainmaker
Coming home
Actually it is unprobable, given how Maiden's shows are only about 100 minutes long. Senjutsu itself is 82 mins, FotD is at least 7.5 mins (going by recent live versions) and IM is at least 5 mins (again going by recent live versions). Round up the album to about 85 mins with gaps in-between songs for Bruce to speak and you've got room for maybe one other track - and that's if they're willing to push past the 100 minute mark. If so, they'd probably do Number of the Beast and call it a night.
The Final Frontier tour was about 108 minutes, according to En Vivo on Wikipedia. Given that this encore would consist of songs around four minute mark, it isn't much of a stretch. Also, we could look at the number of songs they usually perform per show. They've pretty much never played less than 15, which would make the idea of adding only a song or two to the Senjutsu performance fairly unprobable.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7769 on: January 17, 2022, 12:11:23 PM »
The AMOLAD tour was 10 album tracks, two songs, and three encores. Senjutsu is one song longer but I'd believe they'd still play 15 songs, they basically always had 3 songs in the encore.