Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557559 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7560 on: November 01, 2021, 03:09:08 PM »
That's a great tune. I also love No Lies. That song is great live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7561 on: November 01, 2021, 03:52:44 PM »
Son of A Gun is a top 5 Bruce song for me.  Janick is fucking incredible on that song.

:metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7562 on: November 01, 2021, 05:15:49 PM »
That's a great tune. I also love No Lies. That song is great live.

The first 3 songs plus No Lies are head and shoulders above the rest.  Everything else is honestly pretty damn ordinary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7563 on: November 01, 2021, 08:41:07 PM »
Bruce just announced a speaking tour of the US and Canada.  Tix go on sale Friday.

TAC, you in for Boston?

Is this something to tour during Covid? 

For my 2c and change wish Bruce would do an acoustic club tour instead or maybe do half that half speak kinda thing...

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7564 on: November 02, 2021, 12:46:29 AM »
LA spot is at the Orpheum Theater.  I hate that venue.  The last time I was there, they had no security detectors and the parking lot I was in was a bit shady (costed me $20.00, but considering that outside lot was pretty narrow, and I think they filled the lot where the cars was boxed in with no way out, it was a bit of a ripoff).  I may consider it if I plan things out differently. I wouldn't mind sitting there for two hours hearing Bruce talk about various stories of his life and hobbies.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7565 on: November 02, 2021, 06:51:50 AM »
LA spot is at the Orpheum Theater.  I hate that venue.  The last time I was there, they had no security detectors and the parking lot I was in was a bit shady (costed me $20.00, but considering that outside lot was pretty narrow, and I think they filled the lot where the cars was boxed in with no way out, it was a bit of a ripoff).  I may consider it if I plan things out differently. I wouldn't mind sitting there for two hours hearing Bruce talk about various stories of his life and hobbies.

But that's the wildcard; IF he does that.  I'd listen to that too, but if it's two hours of bloviating, it could be a long night.  I know one of the criticisms of his autobiography was that he didn't dig deep on certain subjects - I share that opinion, by the way - and I'd hope that the speaking engagement is not like the book.

I might still go on the off-chance I could meet him, or hear something like his rendition of "Jerusalem" with Ian Anderson, but that might be a stretch.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7566 on: November 02, 2021, 08:19:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm a huge fan but only somewhat interested in hearing his spoken word show.  It seems he does some Q&A which could potentially be interesting, but I'm just not sure I want to see it bad enough to go into NYC for it.  Maybe when it gets closer if it seems something I could easily do, but I kind of doubt that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7567 on: November 02, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
I went to the show and thought it was amazing. It helps that I worship him and he's basically my hero, but the guy whenever is on stage, no matter the context, delivers the good. Interesting, entertaining, well spoken, and yes there's a Q&A (and I even got my question answered) where he goes a bit off script, and he sings a song at the end.

If to you he's just the singer of Iron Maiden, pass, if you like Bruce as a whole, go, you'll enjoy it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7568 on: November 02, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
Bruce had spoken word gigs booked in São Paulo before the pandemic, which were then canceled. I wasn't really considering going then, but right now, hypothetically, if these were rescheduled, I'd give it some good thinking.

MirrorMask, would you mind sharing the question you made and that he answered?

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Re-listening to Senjutsu, I wonder what's the song everybody wants to listen to live off the new album in the upcoming tour(s).

It's not the most likely track to be played, I fear, but I'd sure love it if they played Death of the Celts live. Plenty of moments for the string players to huddle together in front of the stage to play something in harmony or unison. Plus, there's a big instrumental break for Bruce to run around and get the audience screaming  :lol

By the way, I don't remember if this was discussed in this topic, but which new track do you guys feel is more likely for the walking Eddie to wander into the stage? I think because of the general rhythm, I can imagine Eddie walking in during Dave's solo in Writing on the Wall... food for thought!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7569 on: November 02, 2021, 03:47:33 PM »
For the remaining Legacy of the Beast dates, I'd say only Stratego and TWOTW will be added, but for the full album tour, yeah, Death of the Celts would work well live, as would The Time Machine.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7570 on: November 02, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »
I went to the show and thought it was amazing. It helps that I worship him and he's basically my hero, but the guy whenever is on stage, no matter the context, delivers the good. Interesting, entertaining, well spoken, and yes there's a Q&A (and I even got my question answered) where he goes a bit off script, and he sings a song at the end.

If to you he's just the singer of Iron Maiden, pass, if you like Bruce as a whole, go, you'll enjoy it.

Bruce is a great singer and showman for iron Maiden. But I think the guy is a utter blowhard, and I'm not paying money so he can tell me how smart he is. I couldn't even finish his book. He's a bit too proud of himself. The guy has been talking complete bullshit since the 80's.

I'd rather go see Adrian Smith talk about fishing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7571 on: November 02, 2021, 04:25:28 PM »

Bruce is a great singer and showman for iron Maiden. But I think the guy is a utter blowhard, and I'm not paying money so he can tell me how smart he is. I couldn't even finish his book. He's a bit too proud of himself. The guy has been talking complete bullshit since the 80's.

:lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #7572 on: November 02, 2021, 06:12:10 PM »
If I had to guess what they're going to play live, it'd be Senjutsu, Stratego, The Writing On The Wall, Days Of Future Passed, The Parchment, and Hell On Earth. Possibly Darkest Hour as a substitution between legs. I just don't see Death of The Celts or Lost In A Lost World making a setlist when the other two longer tracks seem much more popular.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7573 on: November 02, 2021, 06:59:37 PM »
I really hope they play the Parchment.  It would be a good breather song for Bruce too.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7574 on: November 03, 2021, 02:11:06 AM »
MirrorMask, would you mind sharing the question you made and that he answered?

I asked him what his stream of conosciousness was while he was on stage, and what was going on in his head while performing.

He said something like this, clearly using the Legacy of the Beast show as a template:

"So, I come out, Janick's there, Adrian's there, I jump the monitors, mmmh, sound is good, then I have to change, go and get the sword, then go and get the flag for The Trooper.... all like this, for two hours, and you people don't even notice it because you're all YEEEEEH  :metal :metal :metal. Sometimes people ask me what it's like to play in front of 40K people, well, I don't know, I'm too concentrated"

Basically he's paying attention to every single thing he has to do, and what he will have to do next, so that's what goes on in his mind while he's on stage... what he has to do in that precise moment, and what will come next.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7575 on: November 03, 2021, 04:15:46 AM »

Do appreciate this though, I wanted read more about the creation and ideas behind his songs, both Maiden and solo and maybe a little less about non-music stuff but wasn't surprised with what we got as there's always been more to Bruce than what he's known for musically.

But regardless felt a bit robbed 😂
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:23:14 AM by WardySI »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7576 on: November 03, 2021, 05:05:06 AM »
Before we speculate on the set list for the Senjutsu tour, I would like to have a stab at whether or not the set list for the upcoming Legacy of the beast tour will change. I would like to throw the following prediction out there - Stratego will replace 2 minutes to midnight, and The Writing on the wall will replace Revelations.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7577 on: November 03, 2021, 05:09:29 AM »
The Writing on the Wall will replace For the Greater Good of God, Revelations and the church backdrop will stay.

Stratego might replace The Evil that Men Do in the encores, that's a good time for a little speech "we have a new album out, we're coming back to play it for you".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7578 on: November 03, 2021, 05:16:54 AM »
The Writing on the Wall will replace For the Greater Good of God, Revelations and the church backdrop will stay.

Stratego might replace The Evil that Men Do in the encores, that's a good time for a little speech "we have a new album out, we're coming back to play it for you".

That would be a travesty.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7579 on: November 03, 2021, 06:04:36 AM »
I'd bet on The Clansman being the first song to be cut.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7580 on: November 03, 2021, 06:10:27 AM »
[Bruce Q&A]

Thanks for sharing, sir!

=X=X=X=X=X=

On the Legacy tour setlist changes, my gut tells me (a bit regrettably, since I love the song) that Stratego gets Wicker Man's spot and Writing on the Wall gets the first encore song spot over Evil that Men Do.

I don't see them cutting out For the Greater Good of God precisely because of the background design... and I think they know the AMOLAD material hasn't been given its fair shake.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7581 on: November 03, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
Stratego slides in nicely into the war section, which is the first five songs. I don't see them taking out The Clansman and Where eagles dare, given the audience reaction those songs received once they were back into the set list. 2 minutes to midnight could be the one to go.

And then The Writing in the wall has a similar tempo to live renditions of Revelations and, again, can be a part of the religion/church section. I can already see Bruce leading the audience in the same rhythm as in Revelations, with the clapping and all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7582 on: November 03, 2021, 07:59:10 AM »
Stratego slides in nicely into the war section, which is the first five songs. I don't see them taking out The Clansman and Where eagles dare, given the audience reaction those songs received once they were back into the set list. 2 minutes to midnight could be the one to go.

And then The Writing in the wall has a similar tempo to live renditions of Revelations and, again, can be a part of the religion/church section. I can already see Bruce leading the audience in the same rhythm as in Revelations, with the clapping and all.

M, both are reasonable spots for the reasons you pointed out.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7583 on: November 03, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »

That would be a travesty.

The reaction to the AMOLAD songs has never been very good in my experience so while I love FTGGOG, I can see this happening. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7584 on: November 04, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »

I agree with every word of that.  ...but on the flip side, I do find myself having to respect the fact that his track record of accomplishments speaks for itself.  The dude definitely puts his money where his mouth is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7585 on: November 04, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »
Indeed. With enough money, we can all be a geniuses at everything.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7586 on: November 04, 2021, 12:16:17 PM »

I agree with every word of that.  ...but on the flip side, I do find myself having to respect the fact that his track record of accomplishments speaks for itself.  The dude definitely puts his money where his mouth is.

They sure do. He is very accomplished. Doesn't mean he's not a dick. And maybe he's not, but personally, I've never really cared for him and his thang.

Offline 425

« Reply #7587 on: November 04, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »

I've never understood this perspective at all. There are plenty of celebrities who are far wealthier than Bruce who have not accomplished nearly as much (this isn't to take away from what they have accomplished; people routinely downplay how much effort it takes to become a professional even in one area, like acting or singing). All the money in the world doesn't just give you genuine accomplishments. You have to put in the effort to make those things happen. I guarantee you if you gave every member of DTF the net worth of Bruce Dickinson, very few of us, if any, would make as much of it as he has.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7588 on: November 04, 2021, 01:20:50 PM »

I've never understood this perspective at all. There are plenty of celebrities who are far wealthier than Bruce who have not accomplished nearly as much (this isn't to take away from what they have accomplished; people routinely downplay how much effort it takes to become a professional even in one area, like acting or singing). All the money in the world doesn't just give you genuine accomplishments. You have to put in the effort to make those things happen. I guarantee you if you gave every member of DTF the net worth of Bruce Dickinson, very few of us, if any, would make as much of it as he has.

And some of the things aren't money related; sure there are plenty of "celebrities" with (ghost-written) books to their credit, so his autobiography and fictional book are to be taken with a grain of salt.  But to be on the UK fencing team, competing internationally, and to be licensed to fly 747s... it might take money to get in the door but if you can't deliver, you're not going to stay there very long. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7589 on: November 04, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »

Wow, I can't disagree more with this statement.

With that attitude, you've already set yourself up for failure.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7590 on: November 04, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »

I know. I was just having a laugh. Bruce is definitely no rake* as is far often too often the case for these wealthy self-made Renaissance celebrities. But who's to judge the difference?

*see Hogarth's "A Rake's Progress" for reference

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7591 on: November 04, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »

Wow, I can't disagree more with this statement.

With that attitude, you've already set yourself up for failure.

True. I deserve all the abuse that comment gets. Something about "putting one's money where their mouth is" in regards to the Bruce tour. Poor taste.

Online pg1067

« Reply #7592 on: November 04, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »

That's just the way it is for that part of downtown LA.

Anyway, if you're interested, I got an email about a presale with a code of "BD2022."

https://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/z7thjv?wt.mc_id=EML_TMNT442364_19005_3[CEN_CTA_1&et_cid=TM_442364&et_rid=db6de5bc29deab39af32fda959644aa1df80a83fa6b6614b372eb81128bafed5&efeat_seg=0&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=tmemail&utm_campaign=50587-BruceDickinsonofIronMaiden-Multi-city-Presale&utm_term=442364&utm_content=CEN_CTA_1&j=442364&l=21_HTML&sfmc_sub=57417734&jb=19005&mid=7222895
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7593 on: November 04, 2021, 01:45:37 PM »

I know. I was just having a laugh. Bruce is definitely no rake* as is far often too often the case for these wealthy self-made Renaissance celebrities. But who's to judge the difference?

Steve's song or William's paintings?   :) :)

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7594 on: November 04, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »

Steve's song or William's paintings?   :) :)

Nice! Was actually thinking about the paintings. Those would make nice prog epic. Did someone already do that?  I just like the term "rake" in reference to "rakehell" or going back to those original paintings, which I love. 

Sorry if I've been an ass toward anyone in this thread. Sorry 425 having a laugh at your expense. I'll shut the fuck up about Bruce.