Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 568821 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7525 on: October 30, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
When I heard BTP, my thought was that Bruce was really more than just a singer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7526 on: October 30, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »

Definitely

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7527 on: October 30, 2021, 03:56:02 PM »
I loved that album from the first listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7528 on: October 30, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
It sounded so fresh. I was unexpectedly amazed by it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7529 on: October 30, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »

Temple Balls To Picasso?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7530 on: October 30, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »
 :facepalm:

:lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7531 on: October 30, 2021, 05:32:10 PM »
The only song I never really liked was Clowns, but I don't have any real issue with it now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7532 on: October 30, 2021, 05:36:47 PM »
The drum sound on that album is impeccable. I love when Dave Ingraham comes in on 1000 Points Of Light.

RoyZ rips it in the verse of Space Cowboys. Great tune.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7533 on: October 30, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
The drum sound on that album is impeccable. I love when Dave Ingraham comes in on 1000 Points Of Light.

RoyZ rips it in the verse of Space Cowboys. Great tune.

It's Sacred Cowboys haha.

I think Ingrahan is a really underrated drummer, love his work.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7534 on: October 30, 2021, 05:40:23 PM »
It's Sacred Cowboys haha.

Yeah, I like that one too. :lol

I think Ingrahan is a really underrated drummer, love his work.

That band was great. When I saw them, I was as interested in seeing them as I was with seeing Bruce.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7535 on: October 30, 2021, 05:41:55 PM »
Fuck, you've seen Bruce solo too.  I know you saw him on the Tatooed Millionaire tour, unless I'm wrong?  You saw later tours also?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7536 on: October 30, 2021, 05:43:25 PM »
Fuck, you've seen Bruce solo too.  I know you saw him on the Tatooed Millionaire tour, unless I'm wrong?  You saw later tours also?

Yeah!

I saw the Tattooed Millionaire tour and the Accident Of Birth tour. With Adrian!

Each time I saw him he had a future and a past Iron Maiden guitarist with him. :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7537 on: October 30, 2021, 06:00:57 PM »
I think the thing I lament the most about Bruce's solo career is that the "Tribe of Gypsies + Adrian Smith" lineup didn't carry forward into Tyranny of Souls. I have no idea what happened there, but I sure missed Eddie Casillas and David Ingraham. David's feel in The Tower and Book of Thel just blow me away.

Apparently David has been playing for a band called Young Dubliners, just started checking them out and it sounds pretty cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKqsTsY9Sw

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7538 on: October 30, 2021, 06:03:36 PM »
Somebody recommended The Young Dubliners to me in the past year. Never really followed up.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7539 on: October 31, 2021, 01:20:41 AM »
I found Balls To Picasso so unique and different. Accident Of Birth, while AWESOME, was something familiar.

On BTP, it really became obvious to me just how talented of an artist that he was. It was so different to what he was doing with Maiden. I think he worked great with the Tribe Of Gypsies vibe. Of course the band was present along with Adrian on AoB, but as so good as it was, it never really struck me as anything new. Just something that was really strong.

When I got BTP, and had TXF to compare it too, it became really obvious that Bruce, even before the split, helped maintain an incredible amount of artistic balance in Maiden, helping to offset Steve.

Agreed

While if had to choose would take Accident over Balls and probably over Chemical too by a pinch, Balls To Picasso though, outstanding moments on that record, God's Of War, Shoot All The Clowns, Change Of Heart and the definitive Bruce Dickinson song Tears Of A Dragon worth the price alone \m/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 02:08:59 AM by WardySI »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7540 on: October 31, 2021, 01:24:31 AM »
I hated Tattooed Millionaire so completely ignored Bruce until a fair time after Accident came out and bought that based on reviews and carried on with subsequent releases but never looked back before AOB. Sounds like I need to go and check out Balls To Picasso.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:29:32 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7541 on: October 31, 2021, 03:47:43 AM »
I hated Tattooed Millionaire so completed ignored Bruce until a fair time after Accident came out and bought that based on reviews and carried on with subsequent releases but never looked back before AOB. Sounds like I need to go and check out Balls To Picasso.

Skunkworks is amazing IMO.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7542 on: October 31, 2021, 04:33:38 AM »
I hated Tattooed Millionaire so completed ignored Bruce until a fair time after Accident came out and bought that based on reviews and carried on with subsequent releases but never looked back before AOB. Sounds like I need to go and check out Balls To Picasso.

Skunkworks is amazing IMO.

I'll second this!

Certainly appreciate why it wasn't embrassed by the masses and it doesn't quite hold up to anything since Accident but Skunkworks is a brilliant set of songs and at the time a fantastic departure by Bruce.  I really wish he had done a couple more records as Skunkworks with that same lineup all the while continuing on with his name solo albums...

LOVE Solar Confinement, should've been a single if not the lead single IMO :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd038PFrjXs
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:01:57 AM by WardySI »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7543 on: October 31, 2021, 04:36:23 AM »
That song is a definite fav.  Inside the Machine my other fav, but really I find everything here really good.  Back From the Edge, Inertia, Innerspace, so many great tunes.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7544 on: October 31, 2021, 04:38:53 AM »
Yea I also always had a thing for Skunkworks. Brilliant album that's so diffrent from anything he's done.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7545 on: October 31, 2021, 04:42:21 AM »
I highly recommend the reissues of all Bruce's albums with the second cd (besides AOB and CW).  So many amazing b-sides, well worth purchasing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7546 on: October 31, 2021, 04:55:42 AM »
Is this the love train for Balls to Picasso and Skunkworks? 'cause I want in  :metal

Both great albums, yeah sure, I won't deny how fantastically amazing Accident and Wedding are, but those album are unique gems in Bruce's repertoire and they're full of great songs. It's nice to see some love for Solar Confinement, amazing track!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7547 on: October 31, 2021, 05:15:16 AM »
Skunkworks was one of three records that had quite the impact on me during a challenging 96, Skunkworks, Soundgarden's Down On The Upside and Powderfinger's Double Allergic.   Didn't quite appreciate this at the time because I buried myself in their music, but these three albums now remain significant to me and continue to deliver after all these years.

The beauty of music :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7548 on: October 31, 2021, 05:19:07 AM »
Skunkworks was one of three records that had quite the impact on me during a challenging 96, Skunkworks, Soundgarden's Down On The Upside and Powderfinger's Double Allergic.   Didn't quite appreciate this at the time because I buried myself in their music, but these three albums now remain significant to me and continue to deliver after all these years.

That Soungarden album was a big one for me too.  Such a great album.

Never a big Powderfinger can but jeez, Pick You Up is such and incredible song.  DAF too.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7549 on: October 31, 2021, 05:32:09 AM »

That Soungarden album was a big one for me too.  Such a great album.

Never a big Powderfinger can but jeez, Pick You Up is such and incredible song.  DAF too.

Yeah both great songs although there were some others up there too in Give, Turtles Head, Take Me In and the overlooked but epic Oipic although nothing quite hit as hard as Stitches, a song from their preceeding EP where I discovered the band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3XZ3LLCHq8

And they never again made an album as strong as Double Allergic, followup Internationalist was okay and Odyssey #5 was their peak for quality songs such were My Kind Of Scene, These Days, My Happiness, Waiting For The Sun and more but sadly by then they'd lost their alternative metal edge.

Another 96 album that served well was Horsehead's Onism but arguably not as strong as their debut or Goodby Mothership but I digress ;)

Anyway, Skunkworks right? :metal ;D

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7550 on: October 31, 2021, 07:54:32 AM »
I had to do some Googling to work out what I was listening to in 96. The two biggest ones would definitely have been:

Corrosion Of Conformity - Wiseblood
The Wildhearts - Fishing for Luckies
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7551 on: November 01, 2021, 07:47:13 AM »
I highly recommend the reissues of all Bruce's albums with the second cd (besides AOB and CW).  So many amazing b-sides, well worth purchasing.

Dammit!!!  I was going to say this!   The 2-CD set of both BTP and Skunkworks are AMAZING.  Cool live stuff, cool (for the most part) b-sides, and the BTP set has some insight into the two versions that were done prior to the main release (read the liner notes). 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7552 on: November 01, 2021, 07:56:42 AM »
Adding my appreciation for Skunkworks. Great album with super-cool songs (Back from the Edge was such a good single) and another fantastic performance by Bruce

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7553 on: November 01, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
 Bruce just announced a speaking tour of the US and Canada.  Tix go on sale Friday.

TAC, you in for Boston?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7554 on: November 01, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
I just think it's hilarious.  "He sounds like a card board box, meets an almond, meets a vanilla ice cream cone, meets a block of tofu" might be one of the funniest things I've ever read!

That is like one of those SAT questions:

Blaze Bayley is to rock vocalists as _________ is to nuts.

A) Cashew
B) Peanut
C) Almond
D) Pistachio

Way too much drupeism in these two posts.  When will those long-held truths be cast aside?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7555 on: November 01, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
Bruce just announced a speaking tour of the US and Canada.  Tix go on sale Friday.

TAC, you in for Boston?

Ooh a Saturday too. I’ll have to think about it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7556 on: November 01, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »

Yeah!

I saw the Tattooed Millionaire tour and the Accident Of Birth tour. With Adrian!

Each time I saw him he had a future and a past Iron Maiden guitarist with him. :lol

Not to rub it in, but I saw the Accident of Birth tour as well. It was my first time seeing Bruce and Adrian. Roy Z was insane. Yeah, the whole Tribe of Gypsies were pretty darn good. It was at the House of Blues in Chicago. A nice, small venue.

EDIT: Count me in on the Bruce reissues. I have them all. I bought Skunkworks when it came out and thought it was garbage and sold it. I then bought the reissue not long ago and thought it was excellent. No idea why I ever gave it up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7557 on: November 01, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »

Yeah!

Not to rub it in, but I saw the Accident of Birth tour as well. It was my first time seeing Bruce and Adrian. Roy Z was insane. Yeah, the whole Tribe of Gypsies were pretty darn good. It was at the House of Blues in Chicago. A nice, small venue.

EDIT: Count me in on the Bruce reissues. I have them all. I bought Skunkworks when it came out and thought it was garbage and sold it. I then bought the reissue not long ago and thought it was excellent. No idea why I ever gave it up.

Looking back, I like ALL the Bruce solo records except the first one.  For me, it's a cut below the ones that came later.  I know it was a different animal for a different time, but still.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7558 on: November 01, 2021, 01:31:27 PM »
Tattooed Millionaire still has some great tunes. Born In '58 is a Top 3 Bruce tune for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7559 on: November 01, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
Son of A Gun is a top 5 Bruce song for me.  Janick is fucking incredible on that song.