Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 566433 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7455 on: October 22, 2021, 11:06:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66e9tg3n4A

:metal :metal :metal

A guitar solo cover BLOCKED in my country (Aus)!?

Seriously???

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7456 on: October 23, 2021, 01:45:58 AM »
Blocked in the UK, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7457 on: October 23, 2021, 01:49:17 AM »
And in Sweden.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7458 on: October 23, 2021, 05:18:52 AM »
What the fuck?  Why blocked in so many countries?  :tdwn

Anyone have any ideas on why this has happened and what to do.

Blocked in my own fucking country?  Seriously?  FFS!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7459 on: October 23, 2021, 05:19:52 AM »
And comments turned off?  I didn't fucking do that.

Edit:  yes I did.  That's fixed.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7460 on: October 23, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
What the fuck?  Why blocked in so many countries?  :tdwn

Anyone have any ideas on why this has happened and what to do.

Blocked in my own fucking country?  Seriously?  FFS!

I imagine it's a copyright block. You could try uploading to Vimeo instead?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7461 on: October 23, 2021, 08:51:47 AM »
Take Iron Maiden out of the title, still blocked.

Offline 425

« Reply #7462 on: October 23, 2021, 09:26:43 AM »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Lupton

« Reply #7463 on: October 23, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »

Not blocked in the US, and this is awesome! Great job!  :metal

Totally concur!  Awesome job wolfking.  Great feel in your playing.  :metal

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #7464 on: October 23, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7465 on: October 23, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
Also blocked here in Brazil, damn!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7466 on: October 23, 2021, 04:02:32 PM »
Blocked in Canada too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7467 on: October 23, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
Take Iron Maiden out of the title, still blocked.

I tried that but didn't work.  Maybe I need to reupload without Iron Maiden in the title perhaps.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7468 on: October 24, 2021, 03:11:09 AM »
I did watch your cover of Australian Crawl's Downhearted, which was really cool - and weird to see a John Petrucci signature guitar being used to play something so simple!!!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7469 on: October 24, 2021, 03:53:24 AM »
I did watch your cover of Australian Crawl's Downhearted, which was really cool - and weird to see a John Petrucci signature guitar being used to play something so simple!!!

Ooooh will have search that out and watch, classic song by a classic band 🤘

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7470 on: October 24, 2021, 03:57:29 AM »

Thanks mate.  Yeah there's a few cool vids of the duo I was in with a work colleague.  Used to do that a little bit on the side for a bit of fun.  Did a few Aussie Crawl songs and they were really fun to play.

Yeah, I love my JP guitar haha!

Ooooh will have search that out and watch, classic song by a classic band 🤘

Indeed.   Wonderful band.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #7471 on: October 24, 2021, 07:49:04 AM »
On Friday, I dreamt that my friend Guillermo and I found a CD copy of Seventh Son. Still in the dream, I told Guille how awesome the album is (eventhough, in real life, I hadn't listened to the whole thing ever). So, he bought it.

The tracklist of the CD was weird. It opened with "Aces High", and there was a three-part suite. The cover artwork was also different, and the title on it read En Vivo. But, it was Seventh Son.

Dickinson was in the dream as well. I gave him the CD and a pen, and asked him to dedicate it to my friend. Being the nice guy he is, Bruce signed it. I remember telling him this: "Please, dedicate it to Guillermo. 'Guillermo', as in 'Guillaume Tell'".

So, yesterday, I went to the local record store, and finally bought the one copy of Seventh Son that they had. It was high time I listened to the album.

Listened twice. So far, my favourite moments are in "Infinite Dreams" (the instrumental section) and the verses in "The Prophecy". I already knew "The Clairvoyant" and "The Evil That Men Do"; and, now, I like them even more.

On another note: isn't the cover artwork their prettiest to date? If you ignore Eddie on the front, it's actually a gorgeous piece of art.

Offline 425

« Reply #7472 on: October 24, 2021, 12:46:43 PM »
But was it as good as the three-part suite?

Seriously though, what a weird and cool way to get into the album. Glad to hear you liked it!
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7473 on: October 24, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7474 on: October 24, 2021, 03:49:27 PM »
That was a great read.

Janick: "I can’t sit here and tell you this is the best album we’ve ever done. That would be stupid."

:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7475 on: October 24, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
So refreshing to hear something like that. I love that guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7476 on: October 24, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
So refreshing to hear something like that. I love that guy.

I've been really digging his solos on this album.  The Parchment he takes to another level.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7477 on: October 25, 2021, 02:07:07 AM »

On another note: isn't the cover artwork their prettiest to date? If you ignore include Eddie on the front, it's actually a gorgeous piece of art.

FFTW
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7478 on: October 26, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »

Not blocked in the US, and this is awesome! Great job!  :metal

I concur!  :metal I had missed this somehow. Fantastic job on a fantastic pair of solos!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7479 on: October 26, 2021, 01:43:16 PM »
Cheers Nick.  :D

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7480 on: October 27, 2021, 06:03:10 AM »
Part Three…

The X Factor. First up, I love the cover, the photographic image of Eddie on the vivisection table. It’s different, and I really wish they’d have returned to this approach again, it’s one of my favourite Maiden covers. Everytime I listen to this album, I’m struck by how good it is. Sign of the Cross is a great Steve Harris epic to open, love the Gregorian choir on the intro, but you can hear the ghost of Bruce Dickinson hitting the high notes that Blaze doesn’t go for. Lord of the Flies and Man on the Edge really show what Blaze could do, the latter track has so much energy and stands up well next to anything the band had recorded up to this point. The album is dominated by Steve Harris compositions, but he mostly keeps them under the 7 minute mark, a degree of economy the band might benefit from today. Fortunes of War is unlike anything the band had done, The Aftermath is great, Blood on the World’s Hands has a bass intro that could be Geddy Lee or Flea, and 2AM is one of the most beautiful, personal and intimate songs the band have ever done, I love this track. This album reinvents Maiden without Bruce, reinvents Maiden for the 90s grunge era and screams that this is still a contemporary, relevant band with a solid future. It's an incredibly strong album and one of their best.

Virtual XVI. Futureal is brilliant, a solid ball of energy to kick start the album, but after that things go downhill. The Angel and the Gambler is horrible, I hate the “parp parp” keyboards, after using a real choir on the last album, they really should have used a real horn section for this. It’s also the point where the repetitive choruses, which have often been an issue, really become a problem. If you’re singing the same lines over and over, then the job of a good singer is to put a different inflexion onto each line. Blaze really doesn’t. In fact, for much of this album he seems to be phoning it in. The rest of the album is a lot better than I recalled, but there’s very little that’s memorable, When Two Worlds Collide being a surprise stand out. The Harris epics dominate the album, but this time they go on too long and unlike the last album there’s no concession to Blaze’s vocal range. The Clansman is perhaps the best known tune from this album, but this version makes little impression, Blaze is doing his best to sing a vocal line clearly written for Bruce, but his heart just isn’t in it. A lot of the songs are quite good in isolation, but in the context of the album are just more of the same. It’s not a bad album, but everyone involved seems to just be going through the motions. Oh, and it's got one of the worst covers of any IM album.

Gonna take a break before hitting the reunion era.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7481 on: October 27, 2021, 06:04:08 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7482 on: October 27, 2021, 07:10:14 AM »
I almost wonder if Virtual IX doesn't show a little of what Blaze was thinking, subliminally (I"ve thought the same thing about No Prayer and Fear Of The Dark and Bruce as well).  That unconscious fear/apprehension about "I have to sing this shit every night for a year and my voice isn't going to make it."

By the way, I don't share the loathing of Angel that others do; Blaze doesn't vary the delivery, but if memory serves, the BAND does.  What's the difference between the vocal repeating a pattern while everyone else changes, versus, say, a drummer playing the same repeating pattern while the singer changes?   

Offline 425

« Reply #7483 on: October 27, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »
Yes, the band varies what they're doing under The Angel and the Gambler's chorus a LOT. I like the song.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7484 on: October 27, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »
I almost wonder if Virtual IX doesn't show a little of what Blaze was thinking, subliminally (I"ve thought the same thing about No Prayer and Fear Of The Dark and Bruce as well).  That unconscious fear/apprehension about "I have to sing this shit every night for a year and my voice isn't going to make it."

By the way, I don't share the loathing of Angel that others do; Blaze doesn't vary the delivery, but if memory serves, the BAND does.  What's the difference between the vocal repeating a pattern while everyone else changes, versus, say, a drummer playing the same repeating pattern while the singer changes?   

The drums play the same thing over and over in every song in existence really along with every rhythm section.  The vocals are more noticeable and standout more so when it's repeated, and as much as in this specific song, it's extremely noticeable and actually makes the underlying changes less noticeable. 

I personally can't enjoy the music when the vocals are that bad as they are in this song.  Other than the harp harp keyboards, the rest of the music in this song isn't that bad at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7485 on: October 27, 2021, 09:54:02 AM »

The drums play the same thing over and over in every song in existence really along with every rhythm section.  The vocals are more noticeable and standout more so when it's repeated, and as much as in this specific song, it's extremely noticeable and actually makes the underlying changes less noticeable. 

I personally can't enjoy the music when the vocals are that bad as they are in this song.  Other than the harp harp keyboards, the rest of the music in this song isn't that bad at all.

That's a fair point, Marc.  The drums are doing something else - keeping time - and are historically an accompaniment, not a lead instrument.  The vocals are by definition a lead instrument. 

But still, I offer that as some perspective.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7486 on: October 27, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »
So...I've never listened to the two albums with Bailey singing, so I don't have an opinion, but I ran across this post on Reddit and thought it was just hilarious.  Again, I neither agree nor disagree and just found it funny:

"I just listened to a song that blaze sings on for the first time. I am a classic maiden fan, so I really haven't listened to anything beyond the 80s albums.

"How/why in the flying fuck did they hire this guy? He's a horrible singer. He's not as bad, as say Mustaine. But at least Mustaine has that weird, unique, screechy, sounds like you have a devil in your throat quality to it. Blaze is one of the most bland singers I've ever heard. He sounds like a card board box, meets an almond, meets a vanilla ice cream cone, meets a block of tofu.

"He's like the equivalent one of those kids who are with their parents at the mall. And one of the kid model/talent agent predators comes up to a parent and tells them that their kid should be a model and convinces the parent to pay them a lot of money so they can get their foot in the door. I am convinced this is what happened to blaze. At some point he was young and was in a school choir or something and some adult told him he should be a professional singer or something for some sort of financial gain to that adult and this is why blaze made it in the industry.

"But the real insanity/confusion is why/how in the flying fuck did the rest of the band agree to signing him on? Was blaze sleeping with the band's manager or something? I really just don't get it.

"I just listened to his earlier stuff on Wolfsbane and he's bad there too. So it's not like he was some great singer at one point and that's why he got hired. The dude has always had a bad voice.

"Going from Bruce to blaze is like the equivalent of someone finding a sexual partner with the same sexual chemistry and having the best sex of your life. To going home alone and wacking off by yourself to some horrible bone movie (yes that was an ozzy reference).

"Please someone help me understand how this guy became the lead singer of Iron fucking Maiden."

:lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #7487 on: October 27, 2021, 12:22:02 PM »
I really just think that this way of expressing your dislike of a singer is gratuitous. You can just say you don't think he's a good singer.

And, going back to a discussion from a few pages ago, when you have a climate of people saying things like this, it really shouldn't be a surprise that Blaze's fans can be a little defensive. Over 20 years later and he's still the subject of vicious mocking internet posts.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline DTA

« Reply #7488 on: October 27, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »
I don't disagree with that reddit post. His voice is completely unappealing and makes them sound so amateurish. The mixing doesn't do him any favors either. His voice isn't blended well and seems to sit on top of the music which only highlights just how painfully bland and out of place his voice is. I often wonder how they settled on him when there were probably tons of singers available who were a little more in line with Bruce's style. It's possible they wanted to go 180 from Bruce and that's why they chose Blaze, but what a horrendous choice in hindsight.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7489 on: October 27, 2021, 02:52:31 PM »
It is a pretty harsh way of saying it and I would never express my opinion of Blaze like that but at the end of the day I totally agree with it.