Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557519 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #595 on: August 01, 2015, 01:54:01 PM »
Their last two albums have proven that they can still maintain their ability to create masterpieces, and I think this is just a small taste of what seems to be the third.  ;D
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #596 on: August 01, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
Their last two albums have proven that they can still maintain their ability to create masterpieces, and I think this is just a small taste of what seems to be the third.  ;D

On the whole, I think all four post-reunion albums are consistently great. There's two masterpieces so far (Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death) and then two "growing pains" as I refer to them (Dance of Death and The Final Frontier). That isn't to say that DoD or TFF aren't bad, but I think they're both pointing at directions that would be improved upon by the subsequent album, at least for DoD. We'll have to wait and see how TBoS turns out to see if I'm right on TFF or not.

It kinda reminds me a wee bit of the old Star Trek film order.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #597 on: August 02, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
The last time I read a review that gushing, it was for St. Anger. I'll reserve judgement until I hear it myself (duh) - and no, that production did not impress me much.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #598 on: August 02, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »
Mmmm...that review did it for me....I think I got a boner.... ::)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: August 02, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »
Can't wait for this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #600 on: August 03, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
A good lengthy interview with Janick regarding his life before Maiden, how he got into Maiden, what was it like for Maiden after Bruce left, and after Bruce and Adrian came back, and some good detail regarding the new album.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/iron_maidens_janick_gers_were_not_gonna_be_a_parody_we_are_valid_now_and_what_we_play_now_is_valid.html

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #601 on: August 03, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »
A good lengthy interview with Janick regarding his life before Maiden, how he got into Maiden, what was it like for Maiden after Bruce left, and after Bruce and Adrian came back, and some good detail regarding the new album.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/iron_maidens_janick_gers_were_not_gonna_be_a_parody_we_are_valid_now_and_what_we_play_now_is_valid.html
Nice. Thank you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #602 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »

Me likey!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Dream Team

« Reply #603 on: August 04, 2015, 05:55:15 AM »
Don't like the idea that Steve bloated up Janick's song with extra choruses, but it's to be expected.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #604 on: August 04, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »
Overall, what I've read about this one so far, it seems like Steve held back on this record.  :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #605 on: August 04, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »
I can't seem to access the article. :(
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #606 on: August 04, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »
Yeah, it seems to have disappeared for some reason...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #608 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
Great! Thank you!!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #609 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Overall, what I've read about this one so far, it seems like Steve held back on this record.  :biggrin:

Maybe, but then again he was pushing for even more of a live feel than before, which is the opposite of what is needed. They need a crisp, clear recording.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #610 on: August 04, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »

Maybe, but then again he was pushing for even more of a live feel than before, which is the opposite of what is needed. They need a crisp, clear recording.

Well, they went in for a live feel with Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death and I think the production results for both albums were pretty great. I won't complain if that's the resulting production we get and the songs are great.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: August 05, 2015, 05:46:14 AM »
I'd be happy if it sounded like BNW and AMOLAD as opposed to DOD and TFF.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #612 on: August 06, 2015, 07:08:28 AM »

Me likey!

I first saw Jannick when he was in Gillan. I wasa  bit gutted because I really liked Bernie Torme and Jannick wasn't as good. Got the same vibe when he replaced Adrain Smith. I was wanting more of a neo-classical guitar player at the time. Also the songwriting went downhill when Adrain left.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #613 on: August 06, 2015, 07:17:50 AM »
I'd be happy if it sounded like BNW and AMOLAD as opposed to DOD and TFF.
I'd be more than just happy if it sounded like AMOLAD  ;D
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #614 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party but that 30 second snippet is the best thing I've heard from Maiden since Fear Of The Dark (song).
I love how clear everything sounds.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #615 on: August 07, 2015, 01:14:58 AM »
I first saw Jannick when he was in Gillan. I wasa  bit gutted because I really liked Bernie Torme and Jannick wasn't as good. Got the same vibe when he replaced Adrain Smith. I was wanting more of a neo-classical guitar player at the time. Also the songwriting went downhill when Adrain left.

Janick is a very different guitar player - much more fluid, more improvisational - but every bit as good. I just wish Maiden would showcase him a bit more so that fans can hear what he's truly capable of. But yeah, the songwriting plummeted without Adrian.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #616 on: August 07, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »
I'm kinda scared they're putting out a double album, since their recent albums have been mediocre at best. Longer songs seem just bloated, shorter songs aren't as catchy as before. I gotta listen the album of course, but I'm not gonna buy it unless I'm liking it. Which seems kinda unlikely.

One thing that bugs me with reunion-Maiden is those intros. Why every song needs a lengthy intro witha clean guitar? Gets pretty repetitive after some time. The Talisman would be so much better if they'd written the intro better.

I wish Bruce would make another solo album, since they generally beat every Iron Maiden album (starting from Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: August 07, 2015, 05:27:57 AM »
I'm kinda scared they're putting out a double album, since their recent albums have been mediocre at best. Longer songs seem just bloated, shorter songs aren't as catchy as before. I gotta listen the album of course, but I'm not gonna buy it unless I'm liking it. Which seems kinda unlikely.

One thing that bugs me with reunion-Maiden is those intros. Why every song needs a lengthy intro witha clean guitar? Gets pretty repetitive after some time. The Talisman would be so much better if they'd written the intro better.

I wish Bruce would make another solo album, since they generally beat every Iron Maiden album (starting from Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks).

only the middle paragraph matches my views, although some of Bruces albums are better than IM, I wouldnt consider Skunkworks one of them though.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #618 on: August 07, 2015, 10:09:48 AM »
I remember reading that Bruce has another solo album recorded, but they haven't released it. I'm looking forward to it as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: August 07, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
Happy birthday Bruce!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
I remember reading that Bruce has another solo album recorded, but they haven't released it. I'm looking forward to it as well.

Yeah, I've heard that too. I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed or not. I figure that Roy Z is probably itching to go out and do some shows with Bruce again.

Speaking of which...

Happy birthday Bruce!

Been listening to Iron Maiden all day long in celebration! :tup :metal :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2015, 12:42:44 PM »
I'm kinda scared they're putting out a double album, since their recent albums have been mediocre at best.
Wow Ruba I completely disagree. I don't think they've ever been better, and yes, I'm including the 80's stuff.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
I'm kinda scared they're putting out a double album, since their recent albums have been mediocre at best.
Wow Ruba I completely disagree. I don't think they've ever been better, and yes, I'm including the 80's stuff.

They're definitely far more consistent in quality these days than they were back in the 80's.

BTW, someone over at MaidenFans forums posted this earlier today.

My buddy that I use to work in a record store with, he now works with a magazine company ( I'm not allowed to say) has heard the album and is making a review!! He said that Maiden doesn't want any reviews out until they say so. But he told me that the album sounds like it's own album, but if he had to compare, it's Final Frontier and AMOLAD with a pinch of Somewhere in Time. SiT being the guitars sounding sort of digital, and a great vocal performance by Bruce. He said don't compare production to any other album. It sounds different. Good, but really different. Highlight of the album is with out of doubt Empire of the Clouds. He got me so hyped for this album!!
https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-book-of-souls-official-pre-release-thread-contains-spoilers.31236/page-137#post-527786

I'm liking this description of the album a lot.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
I do agree that post reunion maiden has been very consistent with AMOLAD being one of my favorite maiden albums.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline adace

« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
The wait for the new single is killing me. Really hope we get to hear it before the 14th.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
I do agree that post reunion maiden has been very consistent with AMOLAD being one of my favorite maiden albums.

This, except AMOLAD IS my favorite IM album.  SiT is probably my second so that review is making me wet.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #627 on: August 07, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »

This, except AMOLAD IS my favorite IM album.  SiT is probably my second so that review is making me wet.

I'm right there with you, though I'm also a huge fan of SSoaSS. :metal :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: August 07, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »

I'm right there with you, though I'm also a huge fan of SSoaSS. :metal :hefdaddy

Well, who isn't?  :biggrin:

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #629 on: August 07, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
Well, who isn't?  :biggrin:

Paul Di'Anno, maybe? :biggrin:

I do think that SiT and SSoaSS are the classic era's two best albums. SiT being the most technically challenging and progressive work from the band and SSoaSS is arguably the musical culmination of Maiden through out that whole decade. However I lean a lot towards AMOLAD and have for a long time. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea