Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570507 times)

DTA and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5285 on: April 23, 2021, 06:45:47 PM »
Lord does a cover of Judas Be My Guide on their new Uncovers Vol. 1 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9AIQnFmr0

Shows what a great and underrated song it is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5286 on: April 23, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »

Purchased a digital copy of the album yesterday.  First thing I did was listen to this song.  Cracking rendition.  Great band, underrated song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5287 on: April 23, 2021, 07:30:48 PM »
I knew you'd be all over that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5288 on: April 23, 2021, 08:04:59 PM »
I knew you'd be all over that!

Haha.  This is one song from the collection I hadn't heard or even knew they did.  Good stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5289 on: April 23, 2021, 09:55:23 PM »
Then maybe he belongs in the Marriage HOF.

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5290 on: April 24, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »

Purchased a digital copy of the album yesterday.  First thing I did was listen to this song.  Cracking rendition.  Great band, underrated song.

Amazing song (and a great cover!), immediately one of my favorites off FOTD since the album came out (maybe Be Quick and this one are my faves). A great live redition by Chidren of The Dammed - a brazilian Maiden cover band (at 23:28)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmSz7z4gB2g
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5291 on: May 10, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »
For those interested in Iron Maiden's Beer branding endeavors, they have partnered exclusive to the US (brewed and sold) with BrewDog to create Hellcat which is India Pale Ale lager. Coming soon in the Fall.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-hellcat-lager-fall-2021/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5292 on: May 10, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »
If I see it at the liquor store that sells Trooper beer I'll try it out

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5293 on: May 10, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
Guess they think we’d rather have the beer than the new album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5294 on: May 11, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »
There's no Maiden song called Hellcat. Wonder why they called it that?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5295 on: May 11, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Unless Uli Jon Roth was posing as Steve Harris at the kick-off meeting.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5296 on: May 11, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »

New single, maybe?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5297 on: May 12, 2021, 07:00:33 AM »
Gonna toot my own horn for a minute.

This was (part of) my post from February 13th of this year (in this thread):

Look, I'm the minority on this point, but the RnRHoF is a political tool to be wielded by Jann Wenner and his lackeys (yes, I know he's gone now and the new guy has been more open to "pop success" over industry insider cred, but it's still concerned with identity politics dynamics as much as the music).   EVERY press release regarding the nominees lauded the "diversity" and "adventurousness" of the field.   In the past, the Rolling Stone darlings - read those with the right political bona fides - all got in first or second ballot (Pearl Jam, Radiohead, REM, RHCP, Green Day, Nirvana).   So right there, Rage is in (even though this is I think their third time on the ballot); helps that Tom Morello is popular and well-liked.   There is going to be at least one rap/minority in, that's a given.  Jay-Z.  Tina deserves it on her accomplishments anyway, she's legend (she's already in with Ike), but she's got the political cache as well (abuse survivor).  There is ample opportunity with those three to make beau coup political statements during the induction ceremony.   

That leaves two, three max spots.  One of those is the Foo Fighters; I don't get it, personally, bt they are rock royalty.  Grohl does and says all the right things, paying appropriate homage to those that came before (McCartney, Rush), he was in one of the Halls' favorites (Nirvana), and he's an industry guy.  He's in.   I think Todd Rundgren is in as well; his production is enough to get him there, but he's got the cred to cover multiple bases as well.  That leaves one spot for Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, The Go-gos, Carole King, and Iron Maiden.   I just don't see a metal band comprised of a bunch of white guys from England who sang "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter" breaking through that.

So from that I called:
Rage Against The Machine
Jay-Z
Tina Turner
Foo Fighters
Todd Rundgren

And one of: Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, The Go-gos, Carole King

Four out of six, exact, and I'm giving myself a half a point a piece for the Go-Gos and Carole King.  Predictable as the friggin' sun rising in the west east whichever.   It's now down to "spots" - the "rap" spot, the "rock/metal" spot, the "70's wierdo" spot, the "legendary woman" spot, the "hipster" spot...  The only saving grace is there is at least a half a chance that Dave Grohl gets up there and says "WTF, there is NO business putting me in TWICE while Iron Maiden is selling popcorn out in the lobby."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5298 on: May 12, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »
If Grohl has any integrity he’ll pimp for Maiden AND Priest.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5299 on: May 12, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
The RRHOF is basically just an amusement to me at this point.

Todd Rundgren -- As a producer?  Maybe.  As a performer?  Does anyone know any song he did other than the idiotic earworm that is the "bang on the drum" song?

Foo Fighters -- Really don't know enough about them other than Dave Grohl and the one or two songs that were on the Guitar Hero/Rock Band video games.  I've probably heard a couple other songs but not known who they were.

Jay-Z -- Has he EVER done a rock & roll song?

Carole King -- Don't know much about her other than that she had an incredibly highly-regarded album of what I think are piano ballads.

The Go-Go's -- Really?  Seriously?  A monster debut and a proverbial "year at the top;" a relatively poorly-regarded follow up (albeit with one hit single); a desperate third attempt to hang onto fame; followed by the inevitable break-up and an early 2000s reunion album that no one bought.  And that's enough to get into the RRHOF?  LOL

Tina Turner -- Obviously not my cup of tea (the "wailing woman" vocal style wants me to take a baseball bat to whatever device is reproducing it), and I don't know anything about her as a solo artist beyond that one album that was really big on MTV in the mid-80s.

The only saving grace here is that Randy Rhaods is getting the "Musical Excellence Award" (whatever that is).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5300 on: May 12, 2021, 10:17:20 AM »
I dont care, IM are better than the HOF as I see it.  They don't need it and I'm fairly certain they dgaf.  Not sure why I should care. The whole thing is a joke.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5301 on: May 12, 2021, 10:31:14 AM »

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Unless Uli Jon Roth was posing as Steve Harris at the kick-off meeting.  ;)
Since this was a Bruce thing, rather than a whole band thing, the Grumman fighter is what came to my mind. It's fairly esoteric, but at least it does fit in with Bruce's interests. It also represented part of a US-Briton cooperation as one of the things we gave them in lend lease. Just guessing, but from what we know about Bruce it makes as much sense as anything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F6F_Hellcat

Also, does anybody actually think Trooper is good? I never found it particularly drinkable. Insofar as rock band vanity beers go, I'd rank it pretty near the bottom. (Ironically, recovering alcoholic Dave Mustain may top the list.) Moreover, I'd have liked to see him push something other than an IPA. I'm sure that there's at least one non-British style of beer the man can drink.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5302 on: May 12, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
I like Trooper beer.  It's fairly basic but its good. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5303 on: May 12, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
I love Troopers!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5304 on: May 12, 2021, 12:24:22 PM »
I can drink one and not be offended. It's not terrible. A second one is where it really starts to show its weakness, though. That's why I referred to it as not particularly drinkable. For me it's mostly just a novelty.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5305 on: May 12, 2021, 12:47:01 PM »
I can drink one and not be offended. It's not terrible. A second one is where it really starts to show its weakness, though. That's why I referred to it as not particularly drinkable. For me it's mostly just a novelty.

I'm not sure I ever had more than 1 in a sitting either now that I think of it, but I think it's because I consider it a novelty already and not due to taste so in a 4 pack, I'll spread the love out.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5306 on: May 12, 2021, 12:50:29 PM »
It doesn't suck but there's nothing great about it, either. It's fine. I enjoy the novelty of it every once in a while but have never fancied a second.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5307 on: May 12, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »

I'm not sure I ever had more than 1 in a sitting either now that I think of it, but I think it's because I consider it a novelty already and not due to taste so in a 4 pack, I'll spread the love out.
That makes perfect sense, but I've never thought enough of it to treat it that way, either.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5308 on: May 12, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »
Also, does anybody actually think Trooper is good?

I bought four bottles of Trooper several years ago at a BevMo.  I gave one to a friend and drank the other three.  I recall liking it quite a bit, but I don't buy a ton of beer except when I go to concerts or out to eat, so I haven't bought it again.

Moreover, I'd have liked to see him push something other than an IPA. I'm sure that there's at least one non-British style of beer the man can drink.

Are you referring to Mustaine or Dickinson?  I don't recall the beer I had being an IPA (if it was, it was the first IPA I've ever liked), and there are several varieties of "Trooper" branded beer that isn't IPA.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5309 on: May 12, 2021, 02:32:47 PM »

I bought four bottles of Trooper several years ago at a BevMo.  I gave one to a friend and drank the other three.  I recall liking it quite a bit, but I don't buy a ton of beer except when I go to concerts or out to eat, so I haven't bought it again.

Moreover, I'd have liked to see him push something other than an IPA. I'm sure that there's at least one non-British style of beer the man can drink.

Are you referring to Mustaine or Dickinson?  I don't recall the beer I had being an IPA (if it was, it was the first IPA I've ever liked), and there are several varieties of "Trooper" branded beer that isn't IPA.

I was referring to Bruce. Mustaine's is a Beligan, I believe (and excellent). I know Maiden and Robinson have several different varieties out, but down here I've only ever seen Trooper. (Have any of the other Maiden beers made it stateside?) I was mostly just lamenting that he wouldn't do something a little more different for us yanks from Trooper, which is still a very hoppy ale, IIRC.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5310 on: May 12, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »
I've seen Sun and Steel here, tried it once and wasn't a fan.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5311 on: May 12, 2021, 03:42:48 PM »
I'll be damned. So they actually will make a lager. I wouldn't mind trying that.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5312 on: May 12, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »
Isn't the Sun And Steel a kind of sake infused thing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5313 on: May 12, 2021, 11:33:41 PM »

I was referring to Bruce. Mustaine's is a Beligan, I believe (and excellent). I know Maiden and Robinson have several different varieties out, but down here I've only ever seen Trooper. (Have any of the other Maiden beers made it stateside?) I was mostly just lamenting that he wouldn't do something a little more different for us yanks from Trooper, which is still a very hoppy ale, IIRC.

It's nowhere near as hoppy as you remember. It's just a classic British ale, chestnutty, biscuity, slight sweetness. The hopping is virtually unnoticeable compared to your average US IPA.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5314 on: May 13, 2021, 06:36:44 AM »
Maiden didn't make it in the HoF, but the one hit-wonder pop band The Go-Go's did?
WTF? Are those people in HOF normal?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5315 on: May 13, 2021, 06:48:48 AM »
Maiden didn't make it in the HoF, but the one hit-wonder pop band The Go-Go's did?

It's purely based on popularity and "it" factor. There is no logic or reason behind it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5316 on: May 13, 2021, 06:57:53 AM »
I'll be damned. So they actually will make a lager. I wouldn't mind trying that.

I would too; that sounds good.

Isn't the Sun And Steel a kind of sake infused thing.

Wait, no, no it doesn't.  I'll pass.   :) :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5317 on: May 13, 2021, 07:06:16 AM »

It's purely based on popularity and "it" factor. There is no logic or reason behind it.

Well, I've written enough about this; there's a political factor as well.  The Go-Go's are in, but Squeeze aren't?  Hmmmmm...  (Though the Hall website said this about the Go-Go's:  "Considered the most successful all-woman rock band of all time..." so I guess that explains it.  Ann Wilson just punched out her sister and kicked her dog across the floor, but if the Hall says it, it must be true!  :) )

Oh, and from the website:
"Factors such as an artist’s musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique are taken into consideration."

And yet, no Ronnie Dio (archtype of a heavy metal singer), no Robert Fripp (started his own genre for fuck's sake, and innovated his instrument), no Phil Collins (find me someone that doesn't know that drum fill), no Iron Maiden (who toured stadiums 40 years into their career with NO new music).     Sounds very much like "we're from the government, and we're here to help!" to me!  :) :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5318 on: May 13, 2021, 07:13:13 AM »
Why even do a fan vote when only one of the artists in the top five makes the cut? The RnRHoF is a joke and the sooner everyone stops giving a shit about it the better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5319 on: May 13, 2021, 07:14:34 AM »
The RRHOF is basically just an amusement to me at this point.

Todd Rundgren -- As a producer?  Maybe.  As a performer?  Does anyone know any song he did other than the idiotic earworm that is the "bang on the drum" song?

Foo Fighters -- Really don't know enough about them other than Dave Grohl and the one or two songs that were on the Guitar Hero/Rock Band video games.  I've probably heard a couple other songs but not known who they were.

Jay-Z -- Has he EVER done a rock & roll song?

Carole King -- Don't know much about her other than that she had an incredibly highly-regarded album of what I think are piano ballads.

The Go-Go's -- Really?  Seriously?  A monster debut and a proverbial "year at the top;" a relatively poorly-regarded follow up (albeit with one hit single); a desperate third attempt to hang onto fame; followed by the inevitable break-up and an early 2000s reunion album that no one bought.  And that's enough to get into the RRHOF?  LOL

Tina Turner -- Obviously not my cup of tea (the "wailing woman" vocal style wants me to take a baseball bat to whatever device is reproducing it), and I don't know anything about her as a solo artist beyond that one album that was really big on MTV in the mid-80s.

The only saving grace here is that Randy Rhaods is getting the "Musical Excellence Award" (whatever that is).
Definitely not worth getting worked up over anymore.  It's a total sham.  But...

Todd Rundgren - The only song I know from him is "Hello, It's Me".  Has huge cred among musicians and music snobs.  Definitely not my cup of tea but knew he'd be voted in.

Foo Fighters - No brainer.  Definitely didn't need to go in 1st vote, though.  But, they'll sell a ton of tix for the Hall's show.  I can't believe they didn't vote RAtM in with them.  Guaranteed sellout show.

Jay-Z - When does his rock record come out?!?  Bullshit.

Carole King - Won 4 Grammy's.  Has one of the best-selling albums of all-time.  Already in the RaRHoF (1990 - songwriting achievements).  Once again, not really rock.  But, whatever.  There was no way she didn't get picked.

The Go-Go's - Only all-girl band EVER to have a #1 album where the members wrote all the songs and played all the instruments.  If you're not gonna have The Runaways or Devo, they're the next best thing.  Truthfully, I have no problem with this.

Tina Turner - Had HUGE success in the 80's.  Won a ton of Grammy's, including "Best Female ROCK Vocal Performance" in '88.  More pop than rock.  But, more rock than Whitney Houston or Jay-Z.  Didn't need to happen.  Already in with Ike.  Could've gone to Pat Benatar.

All in all, another "meh" showing from the Hall.  Next year, they'll probably put Priest back on the ballot and we get to complain all over again.